closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you buy a used diesel car?

Master

Would you buy a used diesel car?

Currently looking to change my Focus ST3 to an estate car and wondering if it's worth buying a diesel in the current climate. I have around £18k to spend and fancy either a BMW 3 series M Sport or an Audi A4 Avant S Line. Pickings are slim in the petrol department but if I include diesels then the choice widens considerably. Worry is I want to keep this car for 3 years, with used car prices being high at the moment and diesel cars becoming less popular how much of a bath am I likely to take when it comes to selling it on.

Would you buy a used diesel at this moment in time?

Appreciate any thoughts etc.

Cheers, Toddy

Master
    I would, as long as it is ULEZ.

Euro 6 engine and you should be just fine.

Master
    Thanks for the quick replies. Still debating but like I said if I open up to a diesel then there's quite a selection. Decisions, decisions 🤔

Master
    I suspect that both petrol and diesel prices will soar toward 2030 as people who don’t want/like EV’s are going to willingly pay over the odds for a nice petrol of diesel car.
    Just my opinion though obviously.

Craftsman
    I went from 330d to the latest incarnation of 330i (2 ltr. 4 cylinder) touring. More than happy with performance & refinement and mid 40s mpg. For me it was a good decision .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Lower price range though I'm looking for a new commuter and am actively looking at diesels. As said, go for something ULEZ compliant and you should be as OK as you're ever going to be.

Personally I wouldn’t. If you’re doing huge mileage and don’t live in a city, or are open to PCH/PCP then sure, but otherwise no, not with £18k.

Petrol auto for a German wagon.

Master
    I bought a diesel merc a few months ago, I tried it against the petrol equivalents and it was far better to drive than the petrol ones, they have far more low down torque so in my view easier to drive. Saying that I would seriously consider a six pot petrol Bmw.

Why wouldn't you?
    I have a diesel Golf on a 16 plate. It was bought 3 years old. My office is 50 miles away, pre pandemic I was going in three to five times a week. There are EVs that would do that commute, but they don't make financial sense over the diesel.
    No point in a petrol car for that, I just sit on the dual carriage way. The way the car responds to the throttle makes bugger all differencew when you're sat at a steady speed for an hour.

I do also have a petrol engined kit car though for a bit of fun.

If it suits your use case (ie high miles, longer journeys, not much stop-start) then why not? If you're not already aware i would understand DPFs if this is your first modern diesel.

Also if you're buying used you might find that picking petrol only in certain sectors really limits your options.

I speak as someone looking to replace his non-euro6 dismal powered family car with a petrol "suv shape" for non-silly money.

Master
    Thanks all, I live in Cumbria so no city driving unless we go off to Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and even then it's normally just to the airport. My work is around a 50 miles round trip, I cant work from home in my job so still going to site as per usual. I've had diesel cars in the past so happy how they drive and how to keep them right but it was more a question of will I be able to move it on after 3 years without taking a massive hit on the price?

Thanks again, Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    more a question of will I be able to move it on after 3 years without taking a massive hit on the price?
    Obviously, you're gonna take some hit with it being 3yrs older. It'll still sell but I wouldn't expect a "return" on it, as such.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Obviously, you're gonna take some hit with it being 3yrs older. It'll still sell but I wouldn't expect a "return" on it, as such.
    Yeah, quite happy for the depreciation over the 3 years. Was more of a worry that in this current climate with diesel cars being shunned by a lot of people it would be hard to move on.

Cheers, Toddy

Craftsman
    I think i would look at the choice of petrol models you have. If they really are not floating your boat then for me you almost have the answer in needing to look at diesel.
    Its hard enough to predict what next month is going to be like let alone 3 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I think i would look at the choice of petrol models you have. If they really are not floating your boat then for me you almost have the answer in needing to look at diesel.
    Its hard enough to predict what next month is going to be like let alone 3 years.
    You're probably right, just need to grow a pair and make a decision instead of going round in circles 😁

I think that whatever you buy right now, you are probably going to take a higher than normal hit in three years.

Second hand car prices have rocketed in the last eighteen months and they are likely to fall quite heavily once the supply of new cars gets back to something like normal.

Having said that, I’d have no issue buying a diesel car although, travelling to Manchester, it’s worth noting what they are up to with regards emissions and congestion charging.

Craftsman
    Difficult choice on the 3 series, prices are currently highly inflated and the new model is about £25/26k (lowest I’ve seen used when looking) so your limited to the older model which ended 2018/19ish.

I’ve got a 520d G30 and the engine is nice but wish I’d pushed myself to the 530d where there isn’t a lot of trade off of MPG for the extra performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I wouldn’t.
    Expand on that ?

Would you buy a used diesel car?

I would buy a new one if PCP as all the depreciation is on the OEM. Dealers so desperate to shift them you can get ridiculous deals. I wouldn’t buy used diesel though, other than tool vehicles (Land Rovers etc) they’re dropping like stones.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I would buy a new one if PCP as all the depreciation is on the OEM. Dealers so desperate to shift them you can get ridiculous deals. I wouldn’t buy used diesel though, other than tool vehicles (Land Rovers etc) they’re dropping like stones.

The prices say otherwise. I've been looking at used Skoda Kodiaqs and the prices of petrol and diesel are the same (as far as you can control the various options). I've not seen anything that suggests the diesels are harder to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    The prices say otherwise. I've been looking at used Skoda Kodiaqs and the prices of petrol and diesel are the same (as far as you can control the various options). I've not seen anything that suggests the diesels are harder to shift.
    The way to do it decide on exactly what you want, then go to the bit on the website that lets you email all the dealers. Tell them what you will pay and wait. Guarantee some will say yes.

Master
    I'm actually now looking at lease deals🙄 Like the look of the new Ford Kuga ST Line X with the 2.5ltr PHEV engine. Going to take one out on Wednesday and see what it's like. I'm no boy racer (even though I have a Focus ST😁) but do like having a bit of power.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Expand on that ?
    I live in the ULEZ zone and can’t see diesels (even euro 6) being welcomed for long. They are much maligned here. I plan to go fully EV when new car time comes.

Master
    Depends on your circumstances.
    Town only and short commutes? Get an ev even an old leaf is a nice place to be and the batteries will last no problem.

Have a look at hybrids, a Lexus Rx450h will do near 40 mpg and is bombproof

If you’re doing long journeys on motorways and not venturing into any diesel cash raising zones the. A diesel is still the one.

I was in a similar situation wanting a convertible, tried to find a good e350 petrol, no luck, in the end I found a 2016 e350d for a total bargain. Not regretted it and it’s currently worth more than I paid for it.

Master
    I’d be looking for. Volvo XC70. Lovely cars if you don’t mind 5+ years old.

BMW 330d estate…does everything…goes like stink…sips fuel and cheap to run if you avoid main dealers. Had mine 10 years now and will run it into the ground.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Currently looking to change my Focus ST3 to an estate car and wondering if it's worth buying a diesel in the current climate. I have around £18k to spend and fancy either a BMW 3 series M Sport or an Audi A4 Avant S Line. Pickings are slim in the petrol department but if I include diesels then the choice widens considerably. Worry is I want to keep this car for 3 years, with used car prices being high at the moment and diesel cars becoming less popular how much of a bath am I likely to take when it comes to selling it on.

Would you buy a used diesel at this moment in time?

Appreciate any thoughts etc.

Cheers, Toddy
    I bought a three month old diesel X3 in September last year and as said just make sure you buy Euro 6 no problem, after all towing a van, Electric is a non starter and Petrol will cost on the MPG on a smaller petrol engine.

I have a 6 year old diesel golf cabriolet which comfortably returns 55mpg+ on my rural commute, and still has under 20k on the clock - I tend to only use it in the summer and as an occasional second car. I’ve decided just to drive it into the ground, I live in rural Norfolk and it’s perfect. It’s euro 5 which is a bit annoying but has been totally reliable, nice to drive even though it’s not really sporty. Currently tax is £20, insurance is cheap and it really sips fuel. I’m sure in 10 years it’ll be almost impossible to sell but who cares?
    Would I buy a diesel now though? - well, unless as a cheap second car in a very rural area - no I wouldn’t !

Journeyman
    In recent years the used diesel market has seen a rise in popularity due to the lower emissions standards and improved fuel economy they offer. However, there are some things I would consider before making a purchase. Used diesel cars may require more frequent maintenance and have higher repair costs compared to gasoline engines. Additionally, diesel engines may not be as reliable as gasoline engines in colder climates. It's important to research the make and model of the car before making a purchase and to consider the potential costs associated with owning a diesel car. I guess that it would be more preferably to have a closer look at EVs on sca.auction instead, my opinion.
    Last edited by Owren; 27th January 2023 at 17:42.