closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a private number plate advice.

Master

Selling a private number plate advice.

I've seen a few on here selling their private plates and was after a bit of advice (having never had or sold one before).

I bought one a couple of years back for my T6 transporter but never put it on in the end and I don't think likely to now. Just wondered what the best/safest way to get rid is? Stick it on ebay or do the dvla buy it back? Its not worth much or anything, guessing a couple of hundred quid.

I have the v750/1 form that it came with, it's never been assigned to a vehicle, what forms do I need to transfer to a new owner and how much does it cost?

Cheers all.

Master
    DVLA don't by them back, ebay or a dealer (or an advert here)

I think you're looking at ebay or here on SC. I don't think there's any option for DVLA buying it back from you at all.

Or registration transfer companies.

Pistonheads? Free to advertise on Facebook and Gumtree, but Sales Corner to give us first dibs :wink:

Master
    Cheers.

OK if selling private what forms do I need up front/fees to pay etc?

It's a very specific reg relating to a specific engine in the T6 and needs irregular spacing to work (hence my reluctance to put on the van), was bought on a whim and thought it would be cool for some shows etc (which most likely isn't ever going to happen :-) ).
    I'm guessing one of the transporter forums on face ache may be the best bet, but I don't like going on there though so was thinking ebay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you cannot sell it privately you could register it with one of the many Cherished Reg dealers but with such a low value it’s hardly worth it.

I bought Mrs Draft’s plates, and sold an unwanted reg, through Bold Registrations- who were excellent to deal with for both transactions. But for a low value reg you may well be better off just listing it privately.

There was a scam where a prospective buyer asks for a photo of the DVLA paperwork where the prospective buyer then transfers/sells your registration.

I have previously sold through Reg Transfers.

Master
    There's a certificate number on your v750 which is key. Anyone with that code can transfer that number onto their car if they have it whether they "own" the number or not. And once it's registered to a vehicle it's gone.
    I bought one recently and the vendor sent the v750 direct to dvla to have the nominee changed. Now this worked but the v750 that came to me was addressed to the vendor but at my address with me now as the nominee.
    Critically the certificate no is now different to the original v750 he had so no chance he could pinch it back. As a purchaser there is always that worrying time when you have paid but the old certificate number still applies. This only ceases when you get a new v5 for your car with the reg no on it or a new v750. I suspect it could be a long hard road to recover a "stolen" plate in the event the cert no was stolen.
    Personally I'd have preferred it if the vendor had sent me the original v750 for me to send to the dvla. It sort of comes to the same thing but it would have been under my control for a longer period of time.
    So if selling never send a copy of the certificate unredacted and be as open as poss as the purchaser is taking a bit of a chance having paid their money.

Master
    Try the T6 Forum: https://www.t6forum.com/

A very friendly mainly UK based forum for T6 owners.

To sell something, you will have to register and pay to be a VIP member, but you could seek advice first for free.

Pete