closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Covid travel testing.

Hybrid View

Covid travel testing.

Apologises if this has already been discussed, however I have just booked 2 weeks in Mauritius in March.

72hours prior to departure we need to undertake a PCR test, and was wondering if people had any recommendations. Should we for a home or on-site test, and if a home test any company recommendations.

We also need to book a lateral flow or PCR on our arrival, so again any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Apologises if this has already been discussed, however I have just booked 2 weeks in Mauritius in March.

72hours prior to departure we need to undertake a PCR test, and was wondering if people had any recommendations. Should we for a home or on-site test, and if a home test any company recommendations.

We also need to book a lateral flow or PCR on our arrival, so again any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.
    I work in a country that requires a PCR test to be admitted, and I've been using Boots. (Test on Sunday morning, fly on Tuesday morning.)

For the arrival test, I've just used Testing For All. RM were slow getting the Day Two PCR test back to them, but they were quick to process it when they got it.

Craftsman
    Have used Randox, take the test, put it into the nearest drop box.
    Took the test at 9 on a Saturday morning, the Mrs put it in the drop box at 12. Emailed me that the sample had arrived 1 o’clock Sunday morning, negative result emailed at 10 Sunday morning. Good service if there are drop boxes in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Have used Randox, take the test, put it into the nearest drop box.
    Took the test at 9 on a Saturday morning, the Mrs put it in the drop box at 12. Emailed me that the sample had arrived 1 o’clock Sunday morning, negative result emailed at 10 Sunday morning. Good service if there are drop boxes in your area.
    Yup.
    Same experience on many occasions.

Pick up is about £15 cheaper per test than courier.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    We used randox. If you have android their app is not recognised by Google play so you need to go into your settings on the phone to be able to download untrusted apps.
    Also used chronomics which were alright doing the lateral but trying to input the PCR tests on their site when we got back was a faff.

Do you not need to do a test before you return? We did. Test to go, test to return, PCR when we got back.

Master
    DAM Health or Boots

Master
    We used Randox recently - our destination stated that it needed to be done by a professional vs at home; be sure to check that part.

A strange feeling being so late in the process not knowing if you will be getting on the plane or not though.

We went to Mauritius in November, and doing the tests was a nightmare. We had initially booked with ExpressTest ( https://www.expresstest.co.uk/ ) but I can't recommend them. The challenge we had was flying out from Heathrow on a Monday around 1pm, and we were connecting via Dubai 6 or so hours later. The rules are the test had to be completed no longer than 72 hours before the last point of embarcation. That ruled out any Friday tests, and we found it extremely difficult to find a test provider who could complete the test on the weekend and guarantee the results in time.

We had a 9am slot booked with ET (near where I live) on the Saturday. On the Wednesday beforehand they emailed to say they weren't opening on Saturday and did I want to go Friday. I spent many hours with them trying to get a refund/voucher code to use at their 3 hour express test on the Monday, which was completed at Heathrow.

The 3 hour test was our only option in the end, given we had little time to make other arrangements. Were it not for the fiasco before, I would have happily recommended the 3 hour test they provide. Albeit this is expensive.

Not related to the test, be sure you load your NHS app 2 or 3 weeks before you fly and get proof of your vaccination. You can save the QR code as a PDF. The girlfriend's GP decided to discharge her days before we flew. She only found out of the discharge on the Sunday when we were getting the last few bits packed. We both checked our apps, just in case, and hers no longer worked/proved she had been vaccinated. If you're not registered with a GP the record doesn't show. Well, the UK pass shows but not the one for international travel.

We had no choice but to drive to Heathrow at the crack of dawn, not knowing if we'd pass the PCR test. And we had to ask her mum to wait outside the GP surgery to get the practice manager on the phone so we could get some other proof of the vaccination sent via WhatsApp. Emirates let us on the flight because we had a WhatsApps picture of the GPs vaccine printout, the blue card you get dated when vaccinated and the UK part of the app worked. Plus, we had the results of a PCR test taken just hours before. I imagine Emirates could have easily turned us away as well, just happened to get a nice enough check in person, and we were of course polite.

We also had to convince the Mauritius Immigration people the other end.

It is hands down the most stress I've ever faced when traveling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post

Not related to the test, be sure you load your NHS app 2 or 3 weeks before you fly and get proof of your vaccination. You can save the QR code as a PDF. The girlfriend's GP decided to discharge her days before we flew. She only found out of the discharge on the Sunday when we were getting the last few bits packed. We both checked our apps, just in case, and hers no longer worked/proved she had been vaccinated. If you're not registered with a GP the record doesn't show. Well, the UK pass shows but not the one for international travel.

We do not bother with the NHS app, just apply online for the paper version to be posted out, takes up to 5 working days but more importantly there is no expiry date to the proof listed, unlike the app

My son travelling on 14th July. Is it too late to get a 3rd jab and for that to appear on his vaccination record?

Master
    Blog Entries
    In past experience after I had my booster jab it was there for me to download the day after on my NHS app account

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    In past experience after I had my booster jab it was there for me to download the day after on my NHS app account
    Ok, thanks - thought maybe wasn’t immediately effective so was a delay but perhaps this was just for initial doses (or not at all!).

Craftsman
    3 jabs, COVID in February and I get it again! Luckily in Switzerland they give you automatic certificate if you test in Doctor’s office. I hear though that you need a certificate to go to Spain. Will it never end.

It’s important we all show proof of a vaccination that doesn’t actually prevent the catching and spread of the virus.

Pharma is laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It’s important we all show proof of a vaccination that doesn’t actually prevent the catching and spread of the virus.

Sorry but you are again skewing the information to fit your prejudices: vaccination doesn't "prevent" but strongly reduces your chances of the virus overwhelming your defences as well as significantly reducing the chances of you becoming a contaminant. And if the people around you are subjected to the same rules you end up greatly reducing the chances of adding a strain to the health service of the country you are visiting.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Sorry but you are again skewing the information to fit your prejudices: vaccination doesn't "prevent" but strongly reduces your chances of the virus overwhelming your defences as well as significantly reducing the chances of you becoming a contaminant. And if the people around you are subjected to the same rules you end up greatly reducing the chances of adding a strain to the health service of the country you are visiting.
    Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

The latest research suggests that COVID vaccinations saved nearly 20 million lives - not too shabby a contribution from pharma...

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...VtQZkxKtOLBWNn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Scamdemic! Covid restrictions initially cost every country billions. Now they’re just recouping the money they lost. I had covid in March. I uploaded my result to the NHS app and it shows in my covid history but because it wasn’t done by an NHS PCR test I couldn’t get a proof of recovery certificate to get into the county I was visiting…but if I pay £50 to a private (government approved) company they’ll provide me with a recovery certificate that will be accepted by the destination. The only proof they want to make this certificate is a screenshot of the test result 樂
    Last edited by ManCityDG; 30th June 2022 at 09:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    3 jabs, COVID in February and I get it again! Luckily in Switzerland they give you automatic certificate if you test in Doctor’s office. I hear though that you need a certificate to go to Spain. Will it never end.
    For some unfathomable reason, Spain requires vax or booster within last 6 months, but you can fly to France and walk into Spain without it....

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    For some unfathomable reason, Spain requires vax or booster within last 6 months, but you can fly to France and walk into Spain without it....
    Can't understand why you find it unfathomable. England and Scotland had different rules regarding Covid (still have, I believe). Same here: there is no border control once you are in Schengen territory.

However customs can control you anywhere in the country, at any time, so if you have driven to Spain (very few non-EU actually walk from France to Spain) you could be controlled in Madrid, Barcelona or indeed Benidorm.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.