closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS 9 - CAF

PRS 9 - CAF

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I was one of the lucky purchasers of Eddie's CAF homage PRS - 9 back in 2014. I'm very fond of it and wear it regularly. Whilst wearing it I used to rotate the bezel in an attempt to keep it moving freely. Unfortunately this didn't really work, and I noticed over the last year that it was getting stiffer and stiffer to rotate. It has now seized up completely. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways of releasing or freeing it up it without dismantling the case?

Many thanks for reading this and in anticipation of some assistance/advice.

A

Not sure what the WR level is on those even though I did own one, but have you tried the usual soft toothbrush and washing up liquid with warm water. Could just be a build up of human DNA. Put a bit of silicone on when dry and see if that helps.

A drop of WD40 allowed to soak in for a few minutes should loosen up the seized bezel.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not sure what the WR level is on those even though I did own one, but have you tried the usual soft toothbrush and washing up liquid with warm water.
    I'd usually do similar. Allowing a watch to stand in a bowl of room temperature water usually seems to be enough to get a bezel moving. However, I think that these were 30m. May be fine, but I'd be a little bit nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not sure what the WR level is on those even though I did own one, but have you tried the usual soft toothbrush and washing up liquid with warm water. Could just be a build up of human DNA. Put a bit of silicone on when dry and see if that helps.
    I'm sure it is indeed a build up of DNA and perhaps slight perishing of the seal. It employs a friction system rather than spring click so won't take much to make it seize up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I'd usually do similar. Allowing a watch to stand in a bowl of room temperature water usually seems to be enough to get a bezel moving. However, I think that these were 30m. May be fine, but I'd be a little bit nervous.
    Yes the WR is 30M, obviously fine when new, but I'm not sure I would trust it after 8 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    A drop of WD40 allowed to soak in for a few minutes should loosen up the seized bezel.

R
    This sounds like the safest route. I'll try this Ralphy.

Many thanks to all 3 of you for taking the trouble to read this and give me the benefit of your thoughts and advice.

A

Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    This sounds like the safest route. I'll try this Ralphy.
    If the WD40 doesn't do it then try Plus-Gas, that's worked for me in the past when WD40 didn't.

Good luck.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    That did the trick Ralphy! a little WD40, and a watch back removal ball to get the bezel moving initially, and that is it now as good as new. Brilliant.

Thank you.

A

Blog Entries
    Longe live TZ-UK ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Tbh, it might be an indicator that it needs a proper service.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Longe live TZ-UK ;)
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Tbh, it might be an indicator that it needs a proper service.
    Fair point, but it is still running remarkably well for an old design AS 18,000bph movement, so I think I'll leave it be... for now.

Thanks

A