closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Watch from recent apprenticeship

Craftsman

School Watch from recent apprenticeship

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a couple of photos from a project that I completed recently during my watchmaking apprenticeship in Geneva.

I won’t talk too much about the apprenticeship or the company, but part of it was to complete a school watch based on a set of technical drawings and a procedure.

The watch is based on an ETA 6497, we were provided with a main plate and an ébauche for the bridges which were all pierced, shaped and finished by hand.

The bridges for the wheels are all split off with new locating feet marked out and drilled. The bridges were shaped using multiple graded files, the external bevels were also mostly done by hand with some of the internal bevels on the barrel bridge completed on the lathe with jigs and fixtures.

I then sand blasted the top surfaces, polished the bevels and straight grained the sides.

The main plate was also sand blasted and then perlaged, all the brass parts were then gold plated.

We separated the great, third and second wheel from their staffs, circular grained them and then rose gold plated them.

Snail grained the ratchet and crown wheel and polished the click and screw heads.

The balance, is screwed but also has a micro-metric screw for the regulator pins, so multiple options for timing. The balance spring was also counted and cut by myself to have the correct frequency.

Please see the pics below, it’s was a hell of a lot of work and lots of mistakes along the way, but the end result isn’t bad, but I’m by no means any kind of expert haha.

If anyone has any questions I’d be happy to explain in a bit more detail where I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have no idea what you're talking about but great job😁👍

Looks amazing and a lovely thread topic for a change.

What would be nice, would be to see some work in progress photos if you have them?

Congrats on your Apprenticeship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'm not a trained eye. But that does indeed look great. Something I wish I could do, but are no where near. I hope you're proud of it. Good job

Craftsman
    Lovely job Tom, that looks stunning - an achievement to be proud of!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    Looks amazing and a lovely thread topic for a change.

What would be nice, would be to see some work in progress photos if you have them?

Congrats on your Apprenticeship

Unfortunately I don’t have many photos of the making of it, to be honest I had a huge problem with the location of the bridges so I thought it was dead in the water, but after a re-think and lots of re-work I managed to salvage it.

Also, thanks for the compliments :) One day I hope I can make the whole thing from scratch.

Really interesting, thank you for sharing and congratulations on qualifying from your apprenticeship. What’s the significance of 1140, were you apprentice number 1140?

I love it!

Not usually a fan of offset secondhands, but it does suit the watch too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Really interesting, thank you for sharing and congratulations on qualifying from your apprenticeship. What’s the significance of 1140, were you apprentice number 1140?
    Yeh that's right, I'm apprentice 1104 :)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    That’s awesome! Well done. Lovely looking watch and movement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I love it!

Not usually a fan of offset secondhands, but it does suit the watch too.
    Yeh I know, it's actually meant to be a Lépine pocket watch, but unfortunately the cases weren't available so I bought a wristwatch case, dial and handset.

If it had been a pocket watch we'd have had a 6 o'clock sub-seconds.

Craftsman
    Very nice piece. That’s a keeper if ever there was one.

Craftsman
    Fascinating! What a beautiful looking watch!

Is watchmaking something you always wanted to do?

That is a handsome movement. The main plate finishing is superb and the custom bridges look great.

I've never seen a "keyhole" (for lack of a better term) regulator, did you make that? Also, I've not heard the description and wonder which is the great wheel? Finally, I really like that dial. Did the school supply it or did you have to make or source it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza View Post
    Yeh that's right, I'm apprentice 1104 :)

Very cool, congrats again, lovely watch.

Love it, thanks for sharing Tom. And well done!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Fascinating! What a beautiful looking watch!

Is watchmaking something you always wanted to do?
    Well, I’d always had watches, ever since I was a kid, but never thought about it as a profession. I trained as a Draughtsman and worked in several different fields, but kind of hit the glass ceiling (is that the right term?) and couldn’t really progress any further without having some sort of engineering degree (all of the jobs I was looking at required one), whilst I was looking an opportunity came up for a paid apprenticeship in Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    That is a handsome movement. The main plate finishing is superb and the custom bridges look great.

I've never seen a "keyhole" (for lack of a better term) regulator, did you make that? Also, I've not heard the description and wonder which is the great wheel? Finally, I really like that dial. Did the school supply it or did you have to make or source it yourself?
    Thanks, yeh I’ve not really seen that style of regulator before either, it was provided to us, presumably a high end ETA part? To be honest I should have filed that off, because if you use it with a probe to set the beat you will almost certainly scratch the top of the cock.

Erm, maybe my terminology isn’t quite right, but by great wheel I mean the centre wheel.

I actually sourced the dial from eBay, a company in Switzerland designed and manufactured them, I think it cost me about 45 CHF. The seller was named ‘Mt-Swissmade’, but they don’t appear to be selling anything anymore :/ The handset was from there too.

Hi Tom, fantastic work! Not sure where to start with the comments, so many details! The bridge work for the wheels aesthetically i really like and the the anglage work from the pics looks pretty fine too. Love how you had to also cut the balance spring too!

What's the plan going forward? Working on restoration, servicing more modern movements?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Hi Tom, fantastic work! Not sure where to start with the comments, so many details! The bridge work for the wheels aesthetically i really like and the the anglage work from the pics looks pretty fine too. Love how you had to also cut the balance spring too!

What's the plan going forward? Working on restoration, servicing more modern movements?
    Yeh thanks, the design wasn’t my own, I’d prefer something a bit more curved maybe or just a nice decorated three quarter plate, but thanks for the compliments :)

Yeh the balance was cut by measuring it on a fairly modern piece of kit, but in the old days you’d have used a balance spring vibrating tool. I believe you compared your spring to a calibrated spring in the tool, the goal was to get your spring to oscillate at the same frequency as the calibrated one. You can adjust by lengthening or shortening the attachment point.

It was a tool like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watchmake...-127635-2958-0

So I work in a service centre for the brand that trained me, but eventually it would be nice to do some private jobs for myself, but it’s a bloody expensive game haha.

Yeh thanks, the design wasn’t my own, I’d prefer something a bit more curved maybe or just a nice decorated three quarter plate, but thanks for the compliments :)

Yeh the balance was cut by measuring it on a fairly modern piece of kit, but in the old days you’d have used a balance spring vibrating tool. I believe you compared your spring to a calibrated spring in the tool, the goal was to get your spring to oscillate at the same frequency as the calibrated one. You can adjust by lengthening or shortening the attachment point.

It was a tool like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watchmake...-127635-2958-0

So I work in a service centre for the brand that trained me, but eventually it would be nice to do some private jobs for myself, but it’s a bloody expensive game haha.

Yea I can see design wise the open working may not be to everyone's style and I guess all part of the learning experience!

Yea the old vibrating tool is pretty rad and shows what had to be done in the old days, and one of those tasks you go thank god for modern machines!

Hope the job goes well, and yea not a cheap game to get in to! What you need is almost like a makers space for watchmaking where you can rent proper space to do your own work. But seen some interesting home kits from aspiring watch makers on IG which is fun to follow!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Yea I can see design wise the open working may not be to everyone's style and I guess all part of the learning experience!

Yea the old vibrating tool is pretty rad and shows what had to be done in the old days, and one of those tasks you go thank god for modern machines!

Hope the job goes well, and yea not a cheap game to get in to! What you need is almost like a makers space for watchmaking where you can rent proper space to do your own work. But seen some interesting home kits from aspiring watch makers on IG which is fun to follow!
    Yeh I actually have an IKEA sit/stand desk which I hope to do a little basic work on, but there’s still a hell of a lot to get and that’s just for servicing, to actually make a watch from scratch you’re easily looking at spending five figures.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very impressive, what’s the next creation?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Very impressive, what’s the next creation?
    Thanks, but no plans for now, just going to concentrate on the new job and soak up as much as I can.

Would be nice to design something at some point. I’ve designed a case before, but not a movement.

That is a handsome piece. Getting over the bumps in the road along the way and completing your training is something to be proud of. Boy done good as the phrase went back in the day.

Master
    Tom I think the wave of positivity coming over in the above posts show you really have nailed this project. Its a tough audience on here, who value the intricacies and function of watch movements. Praise from them is worthy indeed.

Congratulations and every success in your next endeavour's.

Steve

Very nice, well done 👍

Most interesting post for a while, for sure!

Tom, congrats!

Master
    Looks great, congratulations.

Really refreshing to have a thread about a watch build project.

Nice one Tom. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, thank you.

Really like that. Great job. What an experience and opportunity. Best of luck with the new career.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

That looks fantastic a really handsome watch and the movement is lovely.
    Best of luck with the job.

Journeyman
    Hi Tom, great work and thanks for sharing. Good luck with your future career.

Sent from my F5321 using TZ-UK mobile app

Interesting read and thanks for sharing the good and the bad. Are you able to tell us who you did your apprenticeship with and where you're working now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori Hanzo View Post
    Interesting read and thanks for sharing the good and the bad. Are you able to tell us who you did your apprenticeship with and where you're working now?
    I won’t talk too much about the apprenticeship or the company, but part of it was to complete a school watch based on a set of technical drawings and a procedure.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to roll your eyes one me . Doesn't change me being curious as to which companies put people through this kind of training. Can he not say because he doesn't want to which is fine or can he not say due to some contractual requirement?

Looks like tou done a great job. Liking the movement finish.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

That is stunning, fantastic work!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That look great and well done on your apprenticeship.

Craftsman
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to roll your eyes one me . Doesn't change me being curious as to which companies put people through this kind of training. Can he not say because he doesn't want to which is fine or can he not say due to some contractual requirement?
    Thanks for the compliments everyone, I was blown away this morning.

Re. who I work for I don't think it's a contractual thing, although it does talk about social media, but more the brand's reputation and how my watch could influence that. I'd rather not say, but they've been very good to me and I'm very happy to have been trained and then to work for them.

Absolutely fantastic to see and a lovely watch to show for your considerable efforts.

Looks great Tom, love the work!

Re. who I work for I don't think it's a contractual thing, although it does talk about social media, but more the brand's reputation and how my watch could influence that. I'd rather not say, but they've been very good to me and I'm very happy to have been trained and then to work for them.

Thank you Tom for taking the time to answer that. It's appreciated. Whatever the brand I'm sure their investment in you will be worth it if the above is anything to go by.

I think not naming the brand is probably for the best. You would become the forum’s unofficial contact for questions and complaints and I’m sure that would suck all the enjoyment from the job fairly quickly.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to roll your eyes one me
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read and respect what the OP wrote.

Excellent work and an interesting write-up. Nice looking watch too. Congratulations on your apprenticeship.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Love this - real watchmaking - very impressive. Very best for the future Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read and respect what the OP wrote.
    Oh look someone else actively taking time out their day to be negative towards someone else for no reason, thanks for your feedback 👍🏻

Oh look someone else actively taking time out their day to be negative towards someone else for no reason, thanks for your feedback
    If you had read correctly, the courteous way would have been to send him a PM. He might have replied privately to a question he had politely declined to answer in his OP.

Instead you chose to ask in public, and now you're complaining for being shown the error of your ways. Nice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Congratulations Tom on making your own watch and the movement looks really cool.
    That is something, I could never do, as I don't have either the patience or the eyesight to fit the small parts.

Now, looking too the future, could I please ask you to contact me, when you start your own manufacture :-)
    That way I am ahead of the game, when you become the modern day Philippe Dufour (My watchmaking hero) Roger Smith etc etc.

Well done, the industry needs fresh skills.

That's brilliant, must have been a proud moment putting it all together and seeing your watch run and look so good.