closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2022

USA seems to have stopped its requirement for a pre flight covid test now so I expect the Mrs and I will be out to our sons in Florida in the next few months.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Check the T&C of your booking, and if not favourable - Claim according to your travel insurance.

Unlikely you will be out of pocket.
    Still trying to sort it with BA
    They are saying they cannot confirm how much they will refund me for the Comair (BA franchise) flights.
    BA are a shower of ****
    I will go to the insurance if they still try to act the ****

Had a week in Malta over half term. Lovely island, people and weather. Flew with BA which are a shadow of what they were but they at least flew on time! No issues at Gatwick either! Now we’ve broken the seal looking at where next, wife fancies Greece!

Craftsman
    Going to Kuala Lumpur and bali for August, im absolutely dreading the airport but it all goes smoothly! First post covid holiday and not before time....

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

France in August. Anyone noticed any extra issues on the Eurotunnel since Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    France in August. Anyone noticed any extra issues on the Eurotunnel since Brexit?
    Do you take your pet with you?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Do you take your pet with you?
    Not since we left the EU
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

had a trip to japan late August planned with flights ‘paid’ for by avios and a companion voucher but Japan is still not open to tourists apart from a few guided tours from select countries as a trial for moving to fully open.
    So that’s going to be cancelled with probably a future travel voucher and we’ll try again next year, quite relieved as a delayed flat purchase and renovation means the coffers are going to be raided and the works likely to get close to the trip dates.
    shorter trip to Riga and down the coast to Jurmala planned instead whenever the flat is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Not since we left the EU
    I was replying to mjrennie's question. However, as I have indicated to another member last year, if you can meet certain conditions there are ways to still bring your pet without forking out a fortune in an AHC every time.

I was replying to mjrennie's question. However, as I have indicated to another member last year, if you can meet certain conditions there are ways to still bring your pet without forking out a fortune in an AHC every time.
    What pets are we talking about? Do people really take anything other than dogs on holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What pets are we talking about? Do people really take anything other than dogs on holiday?
    I believe some people end up taking crabs back from holiday

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    America's falling apart it seems, one step outside the good bits and it's pretty shocking. That said we're off in about month, family 'vacation' to the Outer Banks N.C., again, but the poor devils get so little holiday allowance needs must for a convenient way to all be together.
    Always fancied a long bbq drive through NC, SC and Texas. Wife is less keen.

Journeyman
    Just been looking through this thread as we have not been away for coming up to 3 years what with one thing and another. As my wife has a significant birthday coming up later in the year I have been looking at a multi destination break. We are pretty well travelled but she has told me she has always fancied going to Hawaii. I have been looking at maybe going to San Francisco for a few days then on to Hawaii. Our last few breaks we have used Expedia to book our holidays. I was wondering what companies the well travelled people on this thread use? Any recommendations or avoid at all costs suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I believe some people end up taking crabs back from holiday
    I have seen many a cat, ferrets… and that before you start looking into the ‘support’ animals, which can include anything from a boa to a parrot

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Just been looking through this thread as we have not been away for coming up to 3 years what with one thing and another. As my wife has a significant birthday coming up later in the year I have been looking at a multi destination break. We are pretty well travelled but she has told me she has always fancied going to Hawaii. I have been looking at maybe going to San Francisco for a few days then on to Hawaii. Our last few breaks we have used Expedia to book our holidays. I was wondering what companies the well travelled people on this thread use? Any recommendations or avoid at all costs suggestions?
    Just book it direct with the airlines and hotels. Alternatively we used Travel Nation for a multi centre holiday in the states.
    https://www.travelnation.co.uk/
    If it is just flights and a couple of hotels I’d do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Just book it direct with the airlines and hotels. Alternatively we used Travel Nation for a multi centre holiday in the states.
    https://www.travelnation.co.uk/
    If it is just flights and a couple of hotels I’d do it myself.
    Careful if you do that!
    It is wiser to purchase the package even if it was to be a little more expensive (very unlikely but possible).

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies. I will probably just book through expedia, although I will be looking at the packages offered by the likes of Kuoni etc.

Master
    Well we had an email yesterday from EasyJet yesterday saying that the flight today was being operated by Smartlynx Latvia, which I guess is to help alleviate their issues. Stayed in Bristol last night, woke at 3am to check if we’d been cancelled. Got to the airport by 4am to be cautious. Half an hour to get through security which wasn’t too bad. Flight delayed by 40 minutes but they seemed to catch up some of that. Plane and cabin crew were great.

Got to Florence without any issues and now relaxing :-)

As an aside the last time I was in Florence in 2015, I bought a non date sub from the Rolex AD on the Ponte Vecchio bridge for £4,000. Got offered 10% off straight away.

The bridge isn’t that big and only has 15 to 20 shops maximum there . . . . Of those shops there’s the Rolex AD and the holy trinity - Patek, VC and AP!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We’ve got 3 nights in Florence coming up in a few days. Taken a while to sort out as my two sons are coming back from London and Cardiff to look after their little sister. Can’t wait - one of my favourite cities . . . .

Spanner in the works, half the EasyJet flights from Bristol to Pisa have been cancelled in the last week, including one scheduled for tomorrow morning. Do we endure the hassle of playing the waiting game to see if it’s knocked on the head, all the delays at the airport, then go through it all again on the return journey, or do we cut our losses and go somewhere in the U.K.? First world problems I know. I also realise if we decided against it, the flight will be on time, if we go, there will be a 10 hour delay, followed by lost luggage :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Always fancied a long bbq drive through NC, SC and Texas. Wife is less keen.
    Sounds interesting. Foodwise I'm looking forward to the Outer banks Seafood boil with lobster, crab, shrimp, had one for my BD when we went last year, yum , yum, that's definitely happening again. After the beach lolling we're going to spend some days in the Great Smoky Mountains, do some hiking in the forests, take in the views.

Master
    Careful if you do that!
    It is wiser to purchase the package even if it was to be a little more expensive (very unlikely but possible).
    Why?

I very rarely book a package and as we are retired we take five to six holidays a year.
    Had a big one cancelled six months into pandemic- took a while but got full refunds on everything- in fact the US hotels were very quick which is more than can be said if Virgin!

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Why?

I very rarely book a package and as we are retired we take five to six holidays a year.
    Had a big one cancelled six months into pandemic- took a while but got full refunds on everything- in fact the US hotels were very quick which is more than can be said if Virgin!
    Good for you. As to why,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sounds interesting. Foodwise I'm looking forward to the Outer banks Seafood boil with lobster, crab, shrimp, had one for my BD when we went last year, yum , yum, that's definitely happening again. After the beach lolling we're going to spend some days in the Great Smoky Mountains, do some hiking in the forests, take in the views.
    Those seafood boils do look amazing. If somewhat messy but guess that’s half the fun! Enjoy.

Master
    Good for you. As to why,
    Yep but the flight is covered and many hotels don’t want paying until you get there now. If I’ve had doubts about particular hotels, I just use Expedia which gives a bit more security- always pay for them with a credit card and always have decent travel insurance.
    The only time I’ve had issues was at the start of the pandemic when an ABTA travel agent refused to give any refund or help with a cancellation!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Those seafood boils do look amazing. If somewhat messy but guess that’s half the fun! Enjoy.
    Thank you.

Decision time for me. I've got the first week of July off and probably got my last chance for a while to go abroad with my wife. Should I risk the current travel chaos or plan a week in Devon?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Decision time for me. I've got the first week of July off and probably got my last chance for a while to go abroad with my wife. Should I risk the current travel chaos or plan a week in Devon?
    If I wasn’t going long haul I’d be looking to stay in the U.K. / use the train to France.

SIL just had their flight last to Portugal cancelled next week. Gutted for them as it was going to be their first holiday in 4 years since having a child / covid and finances allowing.

Too much still up in the air for my liking at the moment.

Master
    No flights this year - too much grief. Maybe back to Nova Scotia next year - away from the crowds..

Master
    There isn’t really any chaos. We have just travelled to Crete- no issues. Son has just had 4 days in Marbella- no issues. Most people don’t have any issues, I’d go ahead and book somewhere , we are paying €50 a night here and even with flights you won’t get cheaper in Devon!

Master
    Went to and from Manchester the past week or so - expected Hell but was through security in 35 mins and coming back I was on the M62 driving home within 40 mins of landing (and that included a walk to the car park).

Go abroad. Despite a delays and chronic understaffing at Manchester T1, we got through and had 8 nights in Turkey during half term. The moment you sit by a pool with a beer in hand and the sun on your skin it all feels worth it and I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

If it could be avoided I’d fly from a smaller airport, and go out of school holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Go abroad. Despite a delays and chronic understaffing at Manchester T1, we got through and had 8 nights in Turkey during half term. The moment you sit by a pool with a beer in hand and the sun on your skin it all feels worth it and I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

If it could be avoided I’d fly from a smaller airport, and go out of school holidays.
    Good to know...better start looking more seriously for a last minute deal!

Master
    Off to Madeira 4 weeks today, when the first lockdown came in our cases were at the front door to go that morning, tickets in email today, wife unusually happy at the mo.

Master
    That’s where I’ve just come back from (Madeira).
    First time I’d been and it was quite lovely.
    Landing was uneventful :)

Master
    We've been before and had "interesting" landings, one included a trip to the Canaries for an hour, best was when were unable to leave and had an extra free day at an all inclusive hotel.

Master
    Years ago I did a helicopter tour around Madeira. Helicopter was tiny and didn’t seem particularly well built. Quite an eventful trip though scenery was stunning. Took us out over one of the largest sheer cliff drops in the world which was somewhat scary!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    That’s where I’ve just come back from (Madeira).
    First time I’d been and it was quite lovely.
    Landing was uneventful :)

We are looking at Madeira right now too.........does look very nice and not been there before. Also Croatia too, visited there once on a cruise (Dubrovnik) and was very impressed.

Any other recommendations like these/not the "usual suspects" so to speak? Thanks.

Master
    I'll be in Madeira this summer also, along with everyone else from TZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I'll be in Madeira this summer also, along with everyone else from TZ.
    You could organise a get to together.

Looking at a last minute getaway for the first week in July, Turkey is obviously a lot cheaper than everywhere else because of their attempt to beat inflation by printing cash. I've been on an Istanbul city break to Turkey many years ago but not on a beach holiday...recommended or not?

Master
    Looking at a last minute getaway for the first week in July, Turkey is obviously a lot cheaper than everywhere else because of their attempt to beat inflation by printing cash. I've been on an Istanbul city break to Turkey many years ago but not on a beach holiday...recommended or not?
    Definitely recommended in my opinion. I visited Belek was a lovely holiday.

Covid aside I go to Bodrum yearly. Nice place, great food, depends what you’re into though. Careful you don’t end up with the Burberry baseball cap crew, that would be horrific. Stay away from those sorts of places if you can.

Flying to Alicante on Saturday for our first family holiday in 3 years - pushing the budget with a private villa.
    Think it will differ to past holidays as in the interim our teenagers have grown into blokes so will probably be out on the lash at night :eek:

Master
    Just got back from 3 amazing nights in Florence. It was definitely worth the stress beforehand. Both flights were around 40 minutes late departing so not too bad. Bristol airport check in and security a bit longer than normal so we arrived a bit earlier and everything was good.

Been to Florence briefly before but 3 days was fantastic, managed to see and do loads :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Mrs Beanie is interested in Hawaii, probably 2024 (holiday for December/January this year already sorted) couple of days in LA going, couple in San Francisco on the way back. We are thinking about an island cruise to see as much as possible but haven't done much research yet so please update us with how you get on.

Master
    San Fran is an epic city, Alcatraz tour a must do and worth booking well in advance. The key to any cruise is matching your own needs to the offer. There is a world of difference to the feel of large vs small ships, more mature demographic vs family, formal vs informal. Any cruiser needs to work out their sweet spot and then a company like cruise.co.uk that has the right expertise can look to match you up with a cruise that is best matched to your needs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    San Fran is an epic city, Alcatraz tour a must do and worth booking well in advance. The key to any cruise is matching your own needs to the offer. There is a world of difference to the feel of large vs small ships, more mature demographic vs family, formal vs informal. Any cruiser needs to work out their sweet spot and then a company like cruise.co.uk that has the right expertise can look to match you up with a cruise that is best matched to your needs.
    I'll echo what you say about SF, we stopped for a few days on the way back from Oz in 2010.
    Alcatraz was very immersive and there was an ex-prisoner signing books when we went.
    Having stayed on Fisherman's Wharf, I think We may look at Union Square if we go again.
    Thanks for the suggestions re the cruise, I have bookmarked The Home of the Real Cruise People.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've been to SF a few times with business and really enjoyed it. Alcatraz was great. But I'll just point out that there has been a big increase in homelessness and associated drug issues recently that seems to be spilling out of the tradition Tenderloin area into surrounding ones based on what I have read.

Craftsman
    Can recommend Dalyan .Fantastic village close to airport and situated in a river were you can take a boat taxi to the beach .Great value for money .

We are off to Barbados for two weeks. My family (6 of us) were going to fly from Manchester and my brother's family (5 of them) from London on the same morning. Our flights with Virgin have been moved to London so now we are all flying together. Also, good news this week too as there are now no COVID tests required for vaccinated visitors to the island. Fingers crossed all will be well between now and the summer holidays.