closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Mi going to Fuerteventura for a month, this Saturday.

First holiday for 2 years!

I retired in June last year.

For a fair few years, I was planning my retirement, aiming to spend the winter months in Thailand. Of course! Covid has put a stop to that! Never been to Spain before, let alone the Canaries, as long as its hotter then where I am , I will be a happy bunny!

Im "hoping", I may be able to get back to Thailand later this year....but not banking on it!
    We were on Lanzarote last November. My first trip to the Canaries - and hopefully not my last! I really liked it there.

When staying a month, I would take the chance to do some island-hopping: have a look on one or two other islands as well. After seeing Lanzarote, I'm curious how the other islands look.

----

Up in this thread I wrote about my wife who's skiing in Switzerland this week. In the past, she and the boys always had to go during school holidays. Now she's skiing with her brother and not bothered with school holidays. She told me that she and and my brother in law had the slopes all to themselves this afternoon. She sent me some pics: slopes are empty and the weather is beautiful. No-one is skiing, the ski gondolas are empty etc. She talks about a surrealistic holiday.
    Last edited by thieuster; 10th January 2022 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Croatia later this year, never been before so looking forward to that, short family break to Centre Parks next week.

On the subject, does anyone know what happened to the holiday watch? It was passed around between members and photographed in lots of lovely locations throughout the world..
    Forgot! I’m also driving down to Lake Garda and Como in an Audi R8 via lots of stunning mountain passes, god knows how much fuel we’ll use!!

Journeyman
    Returned today from 3 weeks in Colorado. Managed to get covid out there and so spent a fair chunk of it isolating!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Do you need any more CampCoffee?
    That really is very kind of you. Having introduced the locals to the experience I'm afraid they have not beaten a path to our door since so further shipments won't be necessary .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I'm sorry if I played any part in alienating you from your neighbours! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I'm sorry if I played any part in alienating you from your neighbours! 
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Cornwall over Christmas & New Year, then back again tomorrow for a few days. Most of Feb/early March will be travelling and diving abroad.

Nothing else booked as yet, but after two years of lockdown my wanderlust itch needs scratching - badly.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Has anyone been to Hawaii before?

Thinking of going to Honolulu for a week with 3/4 nights in NYC and San Fran either side.

Bike holiday in Provence Alpes at end of June - for two weeks................ booked accommodations in December to get exactly what/where we want

and also booked 2 weeks in Pyrenees in September (bike trip again)

It lifts your mood, when arranging hols!

Craftsman
    Nepal in less than 3 weeks now, trekking to Everest Base Camp, 3rd time lucky due to 2 covid lock down cancellations...... trip of a lifetime....

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Nepal in less than 3 weeks now, trekking to Everest Base Camp, 3rd time lucky due to 2 covid lock down cancellations...... trip of a lifetime....
    Enjoy it, we had a blast.
    Stunning country, mind-blowing scale.

Had my boots on this week tramping around the French Alps. 1st time they've been worn since base camp 4 years ago.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Has anyone been to Hawaii before?

Thinking of going to Honolulu for a week with 3/4 nights in NYC and San Fran either side.
    If going all that way I’d recommend Maui or Hilo. Honolulu and Waikiki are a bit too built-up for my liking.

Grand Master
    Bora Bora and Japan, the former being a bugger of a journey so working out a decent stop over
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post

Sorry
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    If going all that way I’d recommend Maui or Hilo. Honolulu and Waikiki are a bit too built-up for my liking.
    I’d second this advice. We spent a few days hiking about on Kauai and it was absolutely stunning, and also enjoyed Maui. I wouldn’t bother going back to Honolulu personally

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Bora Bora and Japan, the former being a bugger of a journey so working out a decent stop over
    The classic stop is LA. Where are you staying in Bora Bora?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Sorry
    Nothing to apologise for, I read all the books as a child / young adult and they were and still are a massive influence on my love of travel and where I go, i am currently assessing whether I should take an old school smock type fjallraven jacket I have just like the front cover to replicate the shot!!!!!!! I'll get my coat......

Vegas and then Iceland.

Hopefully I'll win enough in the first to pay for the second.

Master
    Mrs Beanie and I have finally bitten the bullet and re-booked my 60th holiday; third time lucky, hopefully.
    Christmas in Singapore, NYE Sydney (diner harbour cruise booked), Cairns, Brisbane to see some friends, and a week on the beach in Langkawi on my birthday.
    Testing is being relaxed with only Malaysia still requiring a PCR on arrival at Kuala Lumpur. We are hoping that they will follow the trend and relax that further. At present Aus need a LFT within 24hrs of arrival and Singapore requires a PCR (or supervised LFT) before departure.
    Of course it could all go south again if a new variant surfaces before December but we are feeling quite positive.

Mrs Beanie also has an eye on Hawaii, as mentioned above, at some point in the future so I will be watching this with interest.

I'm normally at my son's in Florida for April/May but I can't be bothered with all that testing stuff.

It took us 4 hours to get through immigration last time, add on Covid checks you'd be there all day at McCoy after a 9 hour flight.

Maybe later in the year if the testing is dropped or at Thanksgiving, although just being at home in this lovely weather is a pleasure.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

We are off to the Maldives in June, they have recently stopped the need for a PCR test. We have a 2 hour wait in Dubai between flights, since Maldives does not need a PCR I believe we also wont need one for the Dubai part. I also believe returning to the UK no longer needs a PCR test, so in theory the trip should be much like a pre-covid holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    We are off to the Maldives in June, they have recently stopped the need for a PCR test. We have a 2 hour wait in Dubai between flights, since Maldives does not need a PCR I believe we also wont need one for the Dubai part. I also believe returning to the UK no longer needs a PCR test, so in theory the trip should be much like a pre-covid holiday.
    That's good news.

If they ever drop the PCR test for entering the US I will be off.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Got a cottage for a week in July in the Lake District - Not been there in decades, so quite looking forward to it.

Got some UK dive weekends planned too, but hoping for an overseas trip towards the end of the year - I haven't entirely given up on the idea of the Galapagos.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    We’ve got 3 nights in Florence coming up in a few days. Taken a while to sort out as my two sons are coming back from London and Cardiff to look after their little sister. Can’t wait - one of my favourite cities . . . .

Spanner in the works, half the EasyJet flights from Bristol to Pisa have been cancelled in the last week, including one scheduled for tomorrow morning. Do we endure the hassle of playing the waiting game to see if it’s knocked on the head, all the delays at the airport, then go through it all again on the return journey, or do we cut our losses and go somewhere in the U.K.? First world problems I know. I also realise if we decided against it, the flight will be on time, if we go, there will be a 10 hour delay, followed by lost luggage :-)

Master
    After the chaos of Manchester and Schipol airport last week i am not booking another holiday this year unless things improve.

Enjoyed Amsterdam and normally book 3 holidays in a year but i hated Manchester airport before Covid and now it's even worse.

Newhaven > Dieppe booked 15th July then 4 weeks around Europe on my GSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Off to Oz in July for long delayed wedding of my eldest daughter. Literally a flying visit and only going for a week. Longer trips planned!

Starting off with Morocco in July , come back for a day then off to Keffalonia in Greece with the family . August a lads weekend in Berlin , ending with a family holiday in Belek -Turkey . Really hope airports are sorted soon.

First cruise for me this year, 10 days in August, Gran Canaria, Madeira, Tenerife and finally Vigo…cant wait

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We’ve got 3 nights in Florence coming up in a few days. Taken a while to sort out as my two sons are coming back from London and Cardiff to look after their little sister. Can’t wait - one of my favourite cities . . . .

Spanner in the works, half the EasyJet flights from Bristol to Pisa have been cancelled in the last week, including one scheduled for tomorrow morning. Do we endure the hassle of playing the waiting game to see if it’s knocked on the head, all the delays at the airport, then go through it all again on the return journey, or do we cut our losses and go somewhere in the U.K.? First world problems I know. I also realise if we decided against it, the flight will be on time, if we go, there will be a 10 hour delay, followed by lost luggage :-)
    The most loveliest of cities buddy and yep a tough call.

We have already knocked one trip abroad on the head and with a week planned a far at the beginning of July I'm in the same boat.... We may just load the bikes on the back of the car a grab somewhere nice in the UK.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

I think you’ve got to assume everything will go to plan. But holidays shouldn’t be this stressful.

Blog Entries
    We returned from a week in NE USA: Boston, New York, New Jersey. My first visit to that area. My wife's has been there countless times. First stop Boston/Harvard for the Commencement Day. I like Boston. The roads are rubbish and some buildings from the 80s and 90s are absolutely ugly. Apart from that, the town has really scenic streets and squares. The River Charles gives it a friendly atmosphere.

New York (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn). I don't like the lower Manhattan area. Too crowded, too far worn down and with the free use of soft drugs now, even outdoor dining has a sniff of drug-use. Midtown and Upper Manhattan I really like. What amazed me: the level of maintenance in Central Park! Lots of weeds, overgrown grass etc. I'd expected to be more like Bryant Park near the NY Library.

New Jersey... Parts look absolutely run down. Those areas should have been demolished 15 yrs ago. Roads are even worse than the area around Liège in Belgium. Other NJ parts are absolutely idyllic! Those wood-cladded homes with lots of trees in the streets. Wonderful!

Next holiday in another country? I have no idea. I'm not a fan of flying; I hate the way I'm ordered around on a airport. And now these hit-and-miss situations on European airfields are not helpful! So I've decided that it's 'no plane' for me for at least 6 months. My wife wants to go to Morocco. But that's without me then. Me? I'll step onto my boat and will go sailing for one or two weeks this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The most loveliest of cities buddy and yep a tough call.

We have already knocked one trip abroad on the head and with a week planned a far at the beginning of July I'm in the same boat.... We may just load the bikes on the back of the car a grab somewhere nice in the UK.

Pitch
    Hope you’re well mate but good luck in getting something good for next month in the Uk.

We were looking forward to booking a nice trip to Santorini or Mykonos but all the air travel faff is putting us off. So we had a quick look at a few nice Cornwall and Devon options (as we’ve done for the past 2 summer staycations) but this year prices are over double 2020/2021 for anywhere decent…….jeez….

Master
    We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago, the smell of weed every couple of blocks was awful. Also the stingers hanging about smoking it rather than being hidden away made the whole place feel seedy.

I would hate it to happen in London with legalisation.

We hiked nearly 100 blocks north into Harlem to go for a pizza, but they had an issue with the oven so shut. Harlem had some very interesting scenes with projects pavement bbqs and street drinking. Was interesting to get a look at the lifestyle and buildings vs downtown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Smoking weed is not uncommonly visible on the street (and sniffable from street-side flats and houses) around here in NW London.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Hope you’re well mate but good luck in getting something good for next month in the Uk.

We were looking forward to booking a nice trip to Santorini or Mykonos but all the air travel faff is putting us off. So we had a quick look at a few nice Cornwall and Devon options (as we’ve done for the past 2 summer staycations) but this year prices are over double 2020/2021 for anywhere decent…….jeez….
    Bloody hell Gareth....... Guess it will be Costa d Lowestoft again then....

All is good here cheers buddy and hope you are keeping well

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Edinburgh seems to have escaped the travel chaos thus far - we returned from my brother in law's wedding last week no hassle at all. In fact we could also have safely ignored the Ryanair arse-covering email telling us to turn up 3hrs before the return flight as Barcelona airport was no busier than normal.

We've booked to go to Menorca in August and a cheeky Tenerife break in October.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Bloody hell Gareth....... Guess it will be Costa d Lowestoft again then....

All is good here cheers buddy and hope you are keeping well

Paul

Lowestoft? A man can dream eh Paul?

I could certainly handle a week in Southwold in August but I might have to dodge the ex-wife who lives there so it could be a bit challenging! Honestly I was shocked at the few Devon/Cornwall pirces that I saw so having to rethink plans a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Lowestoft? A man can dream eh Paul?

I could certainly handle a week in Southwold in August but I might have to dodge the ex-wife who lives there so it could be a bit challenging! Honestly I was shocked at the few Devon/Cornwall pirces that I saw so having to rethink plans a bit.
    Devon is the best place in the world though so only to be expected :-)

Craftsman
    We went to Brussels in April via the Eurostar, which apart from the queuing at St Pancras International, was a painless experience. We had to wear face masks whilst at the station and on board the Eurostar but that wasn’t really an issue once we got used to it.

We’re not risking airports until next year so have a couple of UK staycations planned for later this year - Wales and Cornwall!
    As always, just really looking forward to getting away, wherever it may be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Travelled to Crete from Gatwick yesterday. The plane was delayed by 90mins which we knew about the day before.
    Went through check in AND security in less than 15mins.
    Queues to get in most food outlets (Wagamamas was operating at half capacity due to staff shortages) but otherwise normal.
    From pushing back to being in the air was no more than 10mins.
    So all in all a much better experience than I was expecting.

Off to Thailand next month. The missus will stay there for 7 weeks with our son, I'll fly out with them for 5 days, come back, then go again in week 3 August for a fortnight and then we all come back together

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Smoking weed is not uncommonly visible on the street (and sniffable from street-side flats and houses) around here in NW London.
    Likewise in most of the big cities in the UK.

Master
    Egypt for two weeks with my kids next week.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth trip through Gatwick.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Off to Madeira in 4 weeks, sudden decision, just a weeks break but it's a start after so long stuck here, wife's fair chuffed, didn't tell her just handed her printed conformation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Rather worryingly I often get a strong whiff of Cannabis when overtaken by cars when out on my bike. Lone drivers mainly.

The biggest airline in Southern Africa has gone under, BA have said tough luck, not our problem, (even though I booked with them and the carrier is a subsidiary) they have offered a refund or re schedule - for a day that does not match our itinerary. So I am scrabbling around trying to find capacity on other carriers. It looks like I will either pay a fortune for new flights or loose the hotel and deposit.
    Good job I have three months to sort it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The biggest airline in Southern Africa has gone under, BA have said tough luck, not our problem, (even though I booked with them and the carrier is a subsidiary) they have offered a refund or re schedule - for a day that does not match our itinerary. So I am scrabbling around trying to find capacity on other carriers. It looks like I will either pay a fortune for new flights or loose the hotel and deposit.
    Sorry to hear that, what an absolute nightmare of a situation. Would any travel insurance not help in this kind of situation? Or does the fact that they have already offered a refund/reschedule mean as far as the insurance is concerned there is no loss as such to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Check the T&C of your booking, and if not favourable - Claim according to your travel insurance.

Unlikely you will be out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago, the smell of weed every couple of blocks was awful. Also the stingers hanging about smoking it rather than being hidden away made the whole place feel seedy.

We hiked nearly 100 blocks north into Harlem to go for a pizza, but they had an issue with the oven so shut. Harlem had some very interesting scenes with projects pavement bbqs and street drinking. Was interesting to get a look at the lifestyle and buildings vs downtown.
    America's falling apart it seems, one step outside the good bits and it's pretty shocking. That said we're off in about month, family 'vacation' to the Outer Banks N.C., again, but the poor devils get so little holiday allowance needs must for a convenient way to all be together.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th June 2022 at 10:16.