closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2022

Master

Holidays 2022

So we cancelled our holiday 3 weeks back as it looked to risky going and amazingly TUI agreed to let us move it. Fast forward to Thursday 30th and my wife says let’s just go - quick call to TUI and we’re going the next day! Just got back from a week in Costa Adeje in Tenerife (somewhere I’d never considered) and wow what a fantastic time we had. Weather was lovely. Totally stress free. Feel very relaxed. Travel was easy as well. Masks in shops and hotel lobbies etc but that was no big deal.

So in March I have my 50th Birthday Vegas trip to look forward to (cancelled in 2020 and 2021) and it’s kind of free mentally as I paid for it 2 years ago and got the dollars at the same time.

August we have a two week family cruise which I’m 50/50 on whether it will happen. What will he will be. If it doesn’t, we’ll do something else.

Anyway what have you got lined up?

Two weeks in Barbados in August. My family and my brother's family all going - 11 of us in total. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpjsavage; 8th January 2022 at 17:32.

We were due to go to Venice in feb (originally 2020 then 2021) but looks like we have to change again as Mrs RD is due major surgery the week before, also have a week in Yorkshire booked for July hopefully well get there

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've booked a week in mid May to Barcelona for my birthday. Hoping that gives us time to get over Omicron and before the next wave hits us.
    2021 was the first year in a very long time I didn't leave Scotland for a holiday.... I don't want to repeat that again.

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    After having to cancel our Christmas and New Year jaunt to Berlin we are booked to head over in a couple of weeks. We'll head back again a few weeks later to catch up on the time we've missed there. Might not be everybody's idea of a fun holiday but we love it and it means we switch off from work completely. Can't wait!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Skiing cancelled. Hopefully France will open up before the season in over.

Still in Dubai - after a last minute decision, weather is great (24 degrees C and sunny).

Caribbean in Feb, Alaska in September.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Tenerife in Feb for Wifes Birthday,and April 2 weeks
    on the island of Kuredu in the Maldives,cancelled twice due to err covid!!.
    11th June Stalida(Stalis)Crete.August Lloret de mar.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 7th June 2022 at 20:50.

Master
    Hopefully 18-21 days in Thailand at the end of November to see our eldest who’s teaching in Bangkok.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Still in Dubai - after a last minute decision, weather is great (24 degrees C and sunny).

Caribbean in Feb, Alaska in September.
    Nice one

Blog Entries
    My wife and her brother are off to Switzerland for a week; skiing in Grindelwald / Jungfrau area.

They opted for Switzerland because the covid-rules are reasonable. You need to have a less-than 48hr PCR test result, an international QR-code AND a Swiss QR code (via email/app). I took them to the train in Arnheim this morning , on a straight line to Basel. Then, via Interlaken to Gindelwald. Face-mask on in the train. No-one asked for a QR code when crossing the German and Swiss border. First time they had to show the QR code was in the hotel, in exchange for a coloured wristband that gives access to all shops, bars and ski facilities in the town. The wristband (colour) is only valid for 4 days. Then they need to have another PCR test. The hotel arranges the test. They'll get a new colour wristband after a negative test result.

Just saying: it's possible to go on a skiing holiday without too much trouble.

We're still chewing on a trip to the US in May for my wife's Harvard Degree Ceremony.

I'm most likely to go sailing in July.

Two week motorbike hol to the Provence Alpes end of June.

Built up a 25 property spreadsheet to narrow down to the final two gites.

I'd like to go on a liveaboard in the Galapagos this year, so all plans are on hold until I've made my mind up on that.

The wife is supposed to be going to Greece, butterfly spotting, in June, cancelled the last two years, but nothing is certain.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'd like to go on a liveaboard in the Galapagos this year, so all plans are on hold until I've made my mind up on that.

The wife is supposed to be going to Greece, butterfly spotting, in June, cancelled the last two years, but nothing is certain.

M

I'd love to go to the Galapagos one day, very jealous

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I'm not there yet, but a windfall has solved the question of whether it's too extravagant a trip :)

M

I am currently in Spain. The plane on the way over was basically empty, it’s also very quite here which is lovely.

Should’ve been skiing in France on the 15th but that’s off now. Bought mrs tiny a two week vacation in Thailand in march, unfortunately we’ve just separated so no idea if we’ll be going on that one or not…

Last full day in Dubai - been really easy and stress free.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I'm off to Berlin for a week two weeks today. First time on a plane in over 3 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    After having to cancel our Christmas and New Year jaunt to Berlin we are booked to head over in a couple of weeks. We'll head back again a few weeks later to catch up on the time we've missed there. Might not be everybody's idea of a fun holiday but we love it and it means we switch off from work completely. Can't wait!

Like most, I’ve got a couple of cancellations that I’m hoping to finally take this year.
    Bilbao for a weekend in April/May is the first, followed by a long weekend in St Petersburg at the end of May. Coincidentally, or not, the Champions League Final is on at the same time .
    We’ve got a week in Tuscany which has been postponed three times . Luckily, the apartment we booked and the hotel have vacancies at the right times to suit this year. Hopefully getting tickets for the Palio if it’s going ahead too.
    I’m then thinking of long haul just before or after Christmas.

Journeyman
    We've got 3 weeks in Canada booked. Taking in vancouver, vancouver Island, Whistler, niagra and Toronto late July and into August. Fingers crossed

Master

M

I visited the Ecuador just before covid kicked off and spent a couple of weeks on board in the Galapagos. It was a truly wonderful trip and you will meet some special inhabitants

As for this year I’m keeping my expectations low and hope to visit a few US national parks and then maybe a week somewhere nice and warm in Spain

Master
    Antigua in June.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had that many holidays cancelled the past two years and now our Mekong river Cruise next month is cancelled. We will go back to our friends in Spain end of March for a couple of weeks Wales in August and Cape Verde in December come back just before Christmas. We have a month long Cruise booked in April 23 which starts from Sydney and finishes in Hawaii

Croatia later this year, never been before so looking forward to that, short family break to Centre Parks next week.

On the subject, does anyone know what happened to the holiday watch? It was passed around between members and photographed in lots of lovely locations throughout the world..

If stuff doesn't get worse my Wife and I will get a flight to our son's in Florida for April and May.

Haven't been for three years!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

M

Diving? I am off 2 weeks to Mauritius to dive for Easter!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I'm off to Berlin for a week two weeks today. First time on a plane in over 3 years!
    There'll be enough of us there for a GTG!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    So we cancelled our holiday 3 weeks back as it looked to risky going and amazingly TUI agreed to let us move it. Fast forward to Thursday 30th and my wife says let’s just go - quick call to TUI and we’re going the next day! Just got back from a week in Costa Adeje in Tenerife (somewhere I’d never considered) and wow what a fantastic time we had. Weather was lovely. Totally stress free. Feel very relaxed. Travel was easy as well. Masks in shops and hotel lobbies etc but that was no big deal.

So in March I have my 50th Birthday Vegas trip to look forward to (cancelled in 2020 and 2021) and it’s kind of free mentally as I paid for it 2 years ago and got the dollars at the same time.

August we have a two week family cruise which I’m 50/50 on whether it will happen. What will he will be. If it doesn’t, we’ll do something else.

Anyway what have you got lined up?
    Trust all is well buddy and only 50 this year??????? Really ????? hehehehehe

Wifey cancelled Prague two days before the testing settled down and I actually said about a NICE Tenerife trip. Perhaps we should chat.

My thoughts are a break on the beach in Marbella/PB in August anything before will be a bonus but I said that the last two years ??????????

I was wanting to go Far East again but like many of my pals I have become very narrow over the last year or so. Sad really??? But maybe enjoying home and Suffolk more.

Funny times for me still.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    There'll be enough of us there for a GTG!
    Stay in touch (and bring some watches).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    2 weeks in Barbados in May which we're all very much looking forward to. We've been very lucky throughout the pandemic as we managed to get abroad last year and the year before.

In addition, it's the big 4 0 for Mrs. MST in August and we've been considering 4 nights in Dubai (may be a little too hot for us!) and we haven't ruled out a long weekend in Switzerland - we shall see what happens...

Master
    The temperature in Dubai in August is hideous. It is too hot to go outside.

Master
    Hopefully off to Austria next weekend and have a trip to France booked mid-March assuming they let tourists in then....

Temporarily based in Scotland at the moment so taking the opportunity to visit Arran and SW Scotland for a long weekend in May and the NC500 over a week ish in June. Am hoping that everyone is off abroad this summer to make it quieter!

Conference in Leiden in June but doesn't really count as that isn't a holiday but I'm sure there will be some sightseeing time...

Have a few more days off to use before this job finishes in August after that lot so hopefully something sunnier for a week between the above.

After August, no plans at present but hopefully another break abroad in Sept/Oct ish and that should do me!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    On the subject, does anyone know what happened to the holiday watch? It was passed around between members and photographed in lots of lovely locations throughout the world..
    There are a couple that might be still running; stefaulkner's holiday watch rental for the fundraiser and Dave O'Sullivan's Take Time Project.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-holiday-watch

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...keTime-Project
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Incidentally, I took the Take Time watch with us to the Galápagos Islands. We did a mixture of self arranged travel and live-aboard on the Galapagos Odyssey. Amazing place, can't recommend it highly enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Trust all is well buddy and only 50 this year??????? Really ????? hehehehehe

Wifey cancelled Prague two days before the testing settled down and I actually said about a NICE Tenerife trip. Perhaps we should chat.

My thoughts are a break on the beach in Marbella/PB in August anything before will be a bonus but I said that the last two years ??????????

I was wanting to go Far East again but like many of my pals I have become very narrow over the last year or so. Sad really??? But maybe enjoying home and Suffolk more.

Funny times for me still.

Pitch
    We’ll mate come March I’ll have been 50 for 2 years :-)

Tenerife was never on my radar really as I’ve done Gran Canaria the last couple of times so we’re due to go back there. However I underestimated what t, we had a fantastic trip and will go again for sure. Whats app me if you want to chat about it :-)

I have an annual short break golf trip with a group every September.

Last years trip ended up playing a few courses based in Bristol.

This years trip to France is booked, but I am not holding my breath.

Just got back from Florida yesterday after 10 glorious days away. I’d forgotten how much I enjoy being away with my family and the weather was fantastic. We were in two minds whether to go and had up until Christmas Eve to decide to cancel or not. In the end we decided to roll the dice and I’m so glad we did.

Yes the paperwork and testing to get to the US adds to the cost before you depart but once you’re through security at the airport, it’s super straightforward and it’s lovely to be away from the scaremongering UK media. I’m not someone who takes Covid lightly but as someone who has been triple jabbed, I am more comfortable making the decision to try and live a relatively normal life.

Masks in shops and restaurants and no overly strenuous issues to deal with once you’re in the US. Now that the pre arrival test has been scrapped, I would advise anyone who wants to go and has been jabbed to go.

Master
    A day trip to Glasgow was the furthest I travelled last year. Cancelled a pre-Christmas trip to Tallinn when the testing rules changed. I hope to resume travelling to Poland and the Baltic States later this year. I’d like to visit Berlin too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Diving? I am off 2 weeks to Mauritius to dive for Easter!
    Yep, that's the plan.

Mauritius is nice! A very relaxed place.

M

Planning for the Maldives June - its their rainy season but also my 40th so thinking just take a chance. I think the travel industry needs a strong year so hopefully restrictions will ease up as the year progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Planning for the Maldives June - its their rainy season but also my 40th so thinking just take a chance. I think the travel industry needs a strong year so hopefully restrictions will ease up as the year progresses.
    I went in March, but I think the pattern is for warm weather and then a relatively short downpour and then a return to fine weather, from what I read when researching and also what I was told while there.

We went to Mauritius in July (or August, I forget now) and I don't think we had any actual rain, but it was overcast a fair amount of the time. However, the water and air temperature were very pleasant, like a really nice UK summer's day, rather than Dubai in the summer (which we experienced on the way home)!

M

I went in March, but I think the pattern is for warm weather and then a relatively short downpour and then a return to fine weather, from what I read when researching and also what I was told while there.

We went to Mauritius in July (or August, I forget now) and I don't think we had any actual rain, but it was overcast a fair amount of the time. However, the water and air temperature were very pleasant, like a really nice UK summer's day, rather than Dubai in the summer (which we experienced on the way home)!

M
    The weather is the one thing that has delayed me booking so far, I am from Trinidad and the rainy season there is heavy downpours then sun again. So I am hoping its similar to the Maldives, we would go for 10 days so should average out a few decent days with maybe some bad. In June it should be 30+ most days and the sea is also very warm at that time of year. Decisions, decisions.

We've just got back from a week's skiing in Italy (Aosta Valley)... FFP2 masks worn pretty much everywhere, including kids, Vaccination QR codes required in the restaurants (mostly) but otherwise all good. We've both been triple jabbed and had Covid before Christmas so feeling pretty bulletproof but the whole holiday was relatively stress-free... provided you were organised with the tests and paperwork.

The hire / storage shops in the town were saying that they were about 50% down booking-wise this year. There were a few national holidays when we were there so the slopes were still fairly busy but I can imagine this week is quiet.

Mi going to Fuerteventura for a month, this Saturday.

First holiday for 2 years!

I retired in June last year.

For a fair few years, I was planning my retirement, aiming to spend the winter months in Thailand. Of course! Covid has put a stop to that! Never been to Spain before, let alone the Canaries, as long as its hotter then where I am , I will be a happy bunny!

Im "hoping", I may be able to get back to Thailand later this year....but not banking on it!

Master
    Wife’s still not comfortable with going too far afield, so Cornwall for the daughter’s birthday in March taking a load of her school mates, Edinburgh for our wedding anniversary in March.
    Taking the kids interailing if rules allow in the summer, and then I’m meant to be taking 250 kids to Switzerland in August.
    Hopefully a few weekend breaks around Europe through the year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    and then I’m meant to be taking 250 kids to Switzerland in August.
    Are you Boris Johnson?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I initially misread it as Swaziland.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Are you Boris Johnson?
    No a scout leader.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Stay in touch (and bring some watches).
    Sadly the watch collecting has taken a back seat but its only a matter of time.

We plan to be over in Feb and March before a longer visit in summer so we'll get something sorted out.

Do you need any more CampCoffee?