closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screw Down crown not screwed in on new Omega

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Screw Down crown not screwed in on new Omega

A friend of mine bought a brand new Seamaster from WOS online. When it arrived he noticed the crown wasn’t screwed in.

He’s worried if any damage could have occurred or if any dust could have got in etc.

He asked me if he should get a replacement watch now rather then find out there’s issues down the line.

I’m not sure there’s anything to worry about. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it screws in and out as it should, and drops easy into its three positions, I wouldn't worry about it.

Interested to see the replies to this.

I would have assumed it's a non issue but happy to be corrected.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

There are still gasket seals preventing ingress with the crown out.

As said above, as long as the crown screws in and out OK (about 3 turns to screw down) without signs of threading then it should be fine.

Admittedly, it seems odd that it would be unscrewed.

Grand Master
    Unless they’ve radically altered the crown design from the 2010 versions (which I doubt) there won't be a problem. The seal consists of an O ring inside the crown which engages on the outer surface of the pendant tube. As tge crown screws down the seal compresses slightly against a shoulder, thus giving a very positive seal. With the crown crown pulled out the seal is still in contact with the pendant tube and still sealing the watch although I doubt it would stand significant pressure.

Really is nothing to worry about!

There’s nothing to worry about, it’s a sign that someone actually checked watch before shipping.

Blog Entries
    did it still have all the factory stickers on? (Bracelet, face, back etc)?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    did it still have all the factory stickers on? (Bracelet, face, back etc)?
    So apparently it has stickers on back and bracelet, but not the crystal interestingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    There’s nothing to worry about, it’s a sign that someone actually checked watch before shipping.
    Eh? All it's a sign of is that someone unscrewed the crown before shipping.

If everything else is "as new", I wouldn't bother about it. Next time, he should buy in person.

It’ll be fine; I’ve watches with 100m WR with only a push down crown. As long as the crown tube remains threaded okay (and there’s little possibility of any problem in transit in its box), it’ll be fine. Your friend needs to enjoy his purchase!

Often they are unscrewed when placed in the window so they show the ergonomically optimal 'ten past ten' time. So it is probably a display model. Nothing to worry about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Often they are unscrewed when placed in the window so they show the ergonomically optimal 'ten past ten' time. So it is probably a display model. Nothing to worry about.
    Makes sense, especially as it had no sticker on the crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Always puzzles me when I see folk do this in shop windows or photos. The benefit of the hand placement is drastically overshadowed by the unsightly crown sticking out in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Always puzzles me when I see folk do this in shop windows or photos. The benefit of the hand placement is drastically overshadowed by the unsightly crown sticking out in my humble opinion.
    The main reason for doing this used to be with quartz watches so as to stop the batteries running down - depending upon when they were manufactured, you can quite quickly end up with a window display with multiple watches with dead batteries.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone carried on, not knowing why they were doing it and applied it to mechanical watches as well.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk