Personally, last year was likely to have been the quietest watch purchasing for several years. With just one out and one in, which was a DJ for my daughter.

Recently, I have been contemplating buying another watch, to compliment my only watch and faithful BB58.

This one would be made from precious metal, have a date, which is easy to read, as is the time, fitted on a strap, fairly slim and case diameter of between 36 - 40mm.

Having perused the usual watch sites. I have narrowed down my search to a Rolex DJ 116138 a Rolex Day Date 1803 from 1975 and a JLC Master Date in Platinum - though I believe that the newer model is named Calendar.

116138 is in YG and would be a complete set, what more can be said?

1803 has undergone a full service by Rolex, has no box or papers, though not worried about that, as the service will support its provenance. It does not have quickset for day or date. Though if been worn regularly, should not be an issue. But it is fitted to a generic brown strap and S/S pin buckle! For me these would have to be replaced with a good quality strap and hopefully a genuine Rolex gold pin buckle, which I guess would cost approx £1,000

JLC Master Date has also undergone a full service and is a complete set.
I like the layout of the dial, though not sure how readable the day and moth apertures are and made from Platinum with same metal buckle would be a nice change.
But as it's the most expensive, I would have to be entirely certain, that it would be the right piece, as I have read on numerous occasions, that the resale value of JLC watches can plummet.

Now thanks to our very own FS forum a spanner has been thrown into the works, in the way of Jamies Rolex S/S DJ 116234 on a jubilee bracelet, blue baton dial and a roulette date wheel, I am a bit of a sucker for the alternating colours.

So, I seek the advice of members on their thoughts, regarding these choices and any possible alternatives.

Thank you :-)