closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on a possible watch purchase

Advice on a possible watch purchase

Personally, last year was likely to have been the quietest watch purchasing for several years. With just one out and one in, which was a DJ for my daughter.

Recently, I have been contemplating buying another watch, to compliment my only watch and faithful BB58.

This one would be made from precious metal, have a date, which is easy to read, as is the time, fitted on a strap, fairly slim and case diameter of between 36 - 40mm.

Having perused the usual watch sites. I have narrowed down my search to a Rolex DJ 116138 a Rolex Day Date 1803 from 1975 and a JLC Master Date in Platinum - though I believe that the newer model is named Calendar.

116138 is in YG and would be a complete set, what more can be said?

1803 has undergone a full service by Rolex, has no box or papers, though not worried about that, as the service will support its provenance. It does not have quickset for day or date. Though if been worn regularly, should not be an issue. But it is fitted to a generic brown strap and S/S pin buckle! For me these would have to be replaced with a good quality strap and hopefully a genuine Rolex gold pin buckle, which I guess would cost approx £1,000

JLC Master Date has also undergone a full service and is a complete set.
    I like the layout of the dial, though not sure how readable the day and moth apertures are and made from Platinum with same metal buckle would be a nice change.
    But as it's the most expensive, I would have to be entirely certain, that it would be the right piece, as I have read on numerous occasions, that the resale value of JLC watches can plummet.

Now thanks to our very own FS forum a spanner has been thrown into the works, in the way of Jamies Rolex S/S DJ 116234 on a jubilee bracelet, blue baton dial and a roulette date wheel, I am a bit of a sucker for the alternating colours.

So, I seek the advice of members on their thoughts, regarding these choices and any possible alternatives.

Thank you :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what your budget is but if you are going precious metal I would go for a 118139.

For a more budget option for me the 116234 is the best valued Rolex on the market. It one of the few that sells below list and it's a quality watch.

The 1803 strikes me as being a headache watch with no quickset.

Journeyman
    I’ve had a Rolex Datejust 116234 and as much as I liked the watch the older and new design with slimmer lugs is my preference. The 11 cases can look good with the right strap but I feel the older ones look better.

The 1803 is a lovely watch and looks great on a strap and I’ve been eyeing these as well. The drawbacks I see are the older movement and the non quickset day and date but if it’s worn daily not an issue.

Have you got a picture of the JLC? I’ve googled and seen a few different examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    There is a video on Youtube from a Dutch dealer who speaks good English. He has produced a decent summary of vintage DJs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_URtPqnHM

Have a gawp.

Hi Tony,
    I think you’d be happiest with the day-date. Precious metal, iconic and easy to read dial.

Blog Entries
    For me a non-quick-set-date would really put me off a purchase. I would therefore go for the DJ - iconic model.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Thanks to everyone, so far who has offered their advice.

Day Date on a strap would certainly be a great call. Sadly I think it would be over my budget, which at a push would £10,000

When you say the older DJ, is that referring to a 5 digit model?
    As aiso the newer 126234 also has slimmer lugs.

The JLC would be this one: jaeger-lecoultre-master-date-platinum-limited-edition-watch-ref-140687--fully-serviced-2021--id21820788.htm

Journeyman

Advice on a possible watch purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Thanks to everyone, so far who has offered their advice.

Day Date on a strap would certainly be a great call. Sadly I think it would be over my budget, which at a push would £10,000

When you say the older DJ, is that referring to a 5 digit model?
    As aiso the newer 126234 also has slimmer lugs.

The JLC would be this one: jaeger-lecoultre-master-date-platinum-limited-edition-watch-ref-140687--fully-serviced-2021--id21820788.htm
    Yeah I was referring to the 5 digit Datejust.

That JLC is a lovely watch and can see why it’s on the list.

If you are set on a leather strap for the watch I would go for the JLC or Day Date, they suit a strap very well.

The 116234 doesn’t suit leather quite as well as the 126234 Datejust. If you want the bracelet option in budget the 126234 is superb and looks better on strap with the thinner lugs. Both references are for stainless steel, not sure of the ones for precious metal or if the 12 series comes within budget or in precious metals.

But my choice would be the Day Date especially if wanting to use leather.

Last edited by Mad14; 9th January 2022 at 00:42.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    For me a non-quick-set-date would really put me off a purchase. I would therefore go for the DJ - iconic model.
    Or the newer 18038, which I believe does have the quickset

For me I would want the 1803 to come with a president bracelet as it’s such an integral part of the day date package. That being said, the 1803 does look good on a strap.

I would personally spring for a 116234 with a blue or black dial. Very versatile watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    For me I would want the 1803 to come with a president bracelet as it’s such an integral part of the day date package. That being said, the 1803 does look good on a strap.

I would personally spring for a 116234 with a blue or black dial. Very versatile watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I completely understand your thought process.
    Ever since seeing a picture of a Rolex day Date fitted to a President Bracelet, with concealed clasp, that had to be the only configuration, worthy of such a watch. And one that I have been fortunate to own and wear.

With time comes change and today, though the Day Date is a classic watch to wear.
    My preferences have changed and I now tend to wear a watch on a strap.
    Plus in my line of work a strap is less likely to get hammered than a bracelet.
    I have always remembered back in the mid 90's when I first purchased a preowned 18238, my "Grail" watch, that should I require to replace the bracelet, it would cost about £5,000 which back then was about 80% on the value of the watch!

On a slightly different topic, where could I source a good quality gold pin buckle and strap?

1803 or 18038 for me by a country mile. Preferably the 1803 which can look understated but still classy depending on the dial and strap. I'm sure these go for under £10K?

This one for example is gorgeous in my opinion

https://timelessvintage.watch/watch/...er-linen-1970-

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    1803 or 18038 for me by a country mile. Preferably the 1803 which can look understated but still classy depending on the dial and strap. I'm sure these go for under £10K?

That’s lovely. So many unique dials on the 1803.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Oh dear! You've shown me good a site that is EU based. Darn. Lovely watch!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG