closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Accident repair Car insurance

Journeyman

Accident repair Car insurance

Our car was damaged by a hit and run, its now been at the insurance recommendated garage for 3 months whilst waiting for a part. (Bumper)

Each week the garage calls with an updated, ‘sorry there is no update, we are currently waiting on a part from the main dealer…’

I appreciate covid and brexit related delays but to me this seems crazy and what is to stop the part taking another 3 months to arrive.

Is there anything i can do in this situation? Ive got visions of them having my car in 10 months time and me still using the 1 litre hatchback they offered in replacement!

Master
    Have you spoken to your insurance company about this? Get onto them and tell them you're not happy with the length of time and the replacement car you've been given. Might not be able to speed things up regarding the bumper but they should be able to sort a more like for like courtesy car.

Master
    Hit the phones and see if you can get one, they may be meaning "we cant get one with an acceptable margin"

Journeyman
    Ive spoken with my insurance company and they have got their ‘technicians’ to try and source the bumper.

I’ve made an official complaint with the insurance co with regards to the timescale. As far as i can see my insurance policy doesn’t say i will be offered like for like courtesy car, but i will push for this on Monday.

What else can i do?

Delays in supplying items in various sectors, particularly automotive manufacture are a known issue. Yes its a pain in the rear, but to be fair the insurer can't just magic up a bumper if the manufacturer doesn't have one available.

If you don't want to wait and would be happy with a second hand bumper than you should tell the insurer you're happy with that and I'm sure they will be happy to try that if it's what you want. Problem is a lot of people would scream "cheapskates" and "con artists" if the insurer suggested that to you as a solution which is probably why they haven't suggested it so far.

The other alternative is to tell them you want it treated as an "obsolete part" as its not available, which means that they will pay you the (last) list price of the obsolete part as settlement. The problem you have then is still getting the replacement part, but it's now your problem, not the insurers.

With regards to the courtesy car, it's what it says it is, a car supplied as a courtesy by the repairer/insurer to keep you mobile. It's not a like for like replacement mainly because if everyone was guaranteed a like for like replacement insurance premiums would double to take into account all the additional costs of providing the like for like replacements.

Master
    I mentioned like for like as that's what I was supplied with when someone hit my car (obviously doesn't mean you get the exact same car as your own but something similar in power and spec). Guess it depends on your insurance. I'd still talk to them about it especially after this amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I mentioned like for like as that's what I was supplied with when someone hit my car (obviously doesn't mean you get the exact same car as your own but something similar in power and spec). Guess it depends on your insurance. I'd still talk to them about it especially after this amount of time.
    Yes, believe depends on the insurance. Cases like this the cost of the hire car can easily outweigh the cost of repairs.

Master
    Have you checked availabilty with a local dealer? I worked in auto parts and at times some parts could be back order for a long time, manufacturer short on parts and not releasing any into the parts train as all are in the new car build mode, especially if it's a recent new model.

slight mis conception, insurance companies do not supply courtesy or loan cars, they don't own any cars , if its a non recoverable claim and you have courtesy car cover on your policy the garage supplies the car ( they either own it or lease it) your insurer may up the labour rate to the garage cover some of the cost. this was a hit and run as i read so no recovery possible so only std policy car applies. if your insurer stands a chance of recovery then they will put you InTouch with their hire car people for a like for like who take the risk on on getting recovery of the costs.
    re back ordered part kris post on advice was the best , your insurer should have someone in the engineers dept who can chase the manufacturer direct ,in some cases we, (i used to be a insurance engineer ) got the manufacturer to supply the car and take the burden off the suppling garage, and even got reimbursement for costs in some cases.