closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who want a smaller Panerai

Master

For those who want a smaller Panerai

I get the request to have them smaller, but surely this is taking it too far? I know I'm used to wearing a larger watch but surely this is just not right?

Looks ridiculous on that wrist, you would think they would photograph it on a suitably small wrist surely?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It doesn't look good to me, but then many people (including on here) have small wrists or prefer smaller watches. I think the crown guard starts to look more ridiculous (like a massive wart) as the watch gets smaller.

Master
    One for the ladies, surely?

Master
    I have slim wrists and I'm quite happy with my 40mm Panerai, it still looks relatively large. In the picture the proportions are defnitely strange though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    When is a Panerai not a Panerai?
    When its that Panerai.

I rather like that - I don't tend to like the Lum cases, but it looks like it works rather well. Definitely more Panerai than any other brand with that look, whereas the Rad case can sometimes look a bit like anyone's creation when smaller in size.

I think it's beautiful but I wouldn't buy it. Even with my 6.75 inch wrist I'd still buy a 44mm. That's the point....isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think it's beautiful but I wouldn't buy it. Even with my 6.75 inch wrist I'd still buy a 44mm. That's the point....isn't it?
    For me, the point is to buy the watch I like (and can afford). But, maybe you feel obliged to buy a watch based on other criteria. Each to his own surely.

Touchy much? It wasn't a dig at you personally, just my perception.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    For me, the point is to buy the watch I like (and can afford). But, maybe you feel obliged to buy a watch based on other criteria. Each to his own surely.

It’s like asking adult watch prices but only receiving a kids watch.
    There just trying to widen there appeal,but I think they’d be better trying to aim it at the ladies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    It’s like asking adult watch prices but only receiving a kids watch.
    There just trying to widen there appeal,but I think they’d be better trying to aim it at the ladies.

Or the eastern market.

Master
    I like it, but i have puny wrists. The guy in the picture has normal/big wrists. They should pose some one with smaller…

Still prefer the 44mm.
    May still try one on out of interest.

Not for me that. 38mm is a bit to far for me, however I wouldn’t go below 44mm with this brand.

Each to their own and I've absolutely nothing against smaller watches (the bb58 is the perfect propositioned watch imo) but I tend to agree that a Panerai needs to be on the bigger side. A 38mm case width would most likely amplify the thickness and it'd end up feeling too tall?

I've never actually tried a Paneria on yet but they do appeal and I'm sure it won't be too long before I do. On paper, with my 7 inch wrists, I imagine 42mm would be the right one but I'll reserve judgement until I get to see them in the flesh.

My wrist is 6.75” and I think the 42mm Radiomirs are sublime. This is the 337.

Last edited by learningtofly; 8th January 2022 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Each to their own and I've absolutely nothing against smaller watches (the bb58 is the perfect propositioned watch imo) but I tend to agree that a Panerai needs to be on the bigger side. A 38mm case width would most likely amplify the thickness and it'd end up feeling too tall?

I've never actually tried a Paneria on yet but they do appeal and I'm sure it won't be too long before I do. On paper, with my 7 inch wrists, I imagine 42mm would be the right one but I'll reserve judgement until I get to see them in the flesh.
    This is very true; I did not consider the proportional thickness and the relative width, that is indeed a very important factor.

It's only got 30m WR, so a thin crystal & a thin, solid case back will reduce its 'thickness'. Can't find a measurement on the Officine Panerai website, though. They used to include that in the tech details, ISTR.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It's only got 30m WR, so a thin crystal & a thin, solid case back will reduce its 'thickness'. Can't find a measurement on the Officine Panerai website, though. They used to include that in the tech details, ISTR.
    Fair point. The Panerai website is pretty poor for finding info on thickness (like a few others; Zenith springs to mind). I tend to go to Watchbox reviews on youtube to find dimensions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My wrist is 6.75” and I think the 42mm Radiomirs are sublime. This is the 337.

That looks amazing Tony!!! Oh dear, I may be falling down the pam hole....

That looks amazing Tony!!! Oh dear, I may be falling down the pam hole....
    You honestly can't go wrong with the 42mm Radiomirs - they're things of beauty. There's now another line of Radiomirs with the 1940 cases... conventional lugs and crowns on these, as per my 512 below.

Last edited by learningtofly; 8th January 2022 at 16:51.

They now have 40mm Luminors which are replacing the 42mm. Now I get DNA & brand needs to big, but if the lugs overhand your wrist = the watch is to big!

Hoping to get a chance today to see some of the new 40mm in town.

...There's now another take on the Rads with the 1950 cases - conventional lugs and crowns on these, as per my 512 below...
    That's a 1940 case shape.

IMO, that's what the Due line should have been based upon.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Slightly OT but does anyone know of a "reference finder" or equivalent?

I.e. there seem to be hundreds of panerais and i would like to effectively search based on criteria (size, dial colour, no date, metal hands) - the panerai website is fine but thats only current models not all models?

That's a 1940 case shape.

IMO, that's what the Due line should have been based upon.
    Indeed it is (typo). The 1950 cases are gorgeous too, it has to be said.

Looks fine to me. Does the same job at telling the time and looking pretty as much as the bigger ones but with less of the look at me style.

Craftsman
    I suspect it's perspective. In the first photo it looks small, whilst the second photo, looks quite good. It's supposed to wear larger as cushion cases generally do in my experience. 38mm sounds great, and I suspect this is one to look at in the metal should the opportunity show itself.

Craftsman
    My wife has a 38mm luminor duo
    Heres a pic on my average sized wrist

Its small but obviously on a bracelet it would look bigger

And heres a 44mm luminor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    My first PAM, 40mm. Still wears ok imho.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post

I.e. there seem to be hundreds of panerais and i would like to effectively search based on criteria (size, dial colour, no date, metal hands) - the panerai website is fine but thats only current models not all models?
    Panerai source website is ok for this but it’s not been updated for a while.

If I had the funds, I’d be keen to try a Panerai and with a 6.25” wrist, I’d like to see how this wears on me. The 40mm pictured above looks superb but I wonder if a 38mm case can keep equally good proportions?

Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post

Go on chrono 24 and use the filter with your requirements.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Funnily enough I tried a 44mm Panerai on my 7.5inch wrist and initially it looked fine. It wasn’t until I wore normal 39mm - 42mm watches for a week or two and went back to the 44mm that I realised how stupid it looked. But as pointed out Panerai are supposed to be big wearers so maybe I’m out on wanting one. For the time being anyway :)

Master
    So, this is my Radiomir 40mm. I think it looks just fine on my wrist. I feel that the 42mm versions would have worked too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are now new 40mm luminors too, so leave the due alone and go there if you want something smaller. Also 42mm submersibles. Basically now a size for all

You honestly can't go wrong with the 42mm Radiomirs - they're things of beauty. There's now another line of Radiomirs with the 1940 cases... conventional lugs and crowns on these, as per my 512 below.

As a fellow 512 owner, I agree, Tony. It has to be a contender for one of Panerai’s best releases.

A Panerai is meant to be a large watch, but the 44/45/47mm models would look “clown’esque” upon my wrist (and more often than not, I think the same when viewing on others’ wrists).

I have to say, I am really looking forward to seeing the new Quaranta models and will probably buy either the black or the blue dial variant.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    As a fellow 512 owner, I agree, Tony. It has to be a contender for one of Panerai’s best releases.

A Panerai is meant to be a large watch, but the 44/45/47mm models would look “clown’esque” upon my wrist (and more often than not, I think the same when viewing on others’ wrists).

I have to say, I am really looking forward to seeing the new Quaranta models and will probably buy either the black or the blue dial variant.

It would be the 01270 for me, but I'm not 100% sure about the smaller Luminors (it's a crown guard issue) and in any event I really fancy a Submersible. Oh, and I’m not meant to be buying more watches!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th January 2022 at 10:16.

Been perving on Panerai for most of the evening and there's quite a lot of options in 42mm and smaller. The Luminor Due range has a maximum thickness of 11.2mm so the 38mm would certainly not feel top heavy or too thick. I really quite like them and 30m wr doesn't bother me, I'll take a slim case over higher depth ratings any day. There's a 42mm version too.

I also like the 42mm Submersible range. When the time is right I'll be having a look at the brand in person but for now I'll be doing the usual online obsessing from afar.

Panerai is brand I've never even given a second thought to because everything is far too large for me to feel comfortable with. So it's nice to see them broaden their offering with something for the smaller wristed of us. I agree with previous statements in that they could have snapped this on the wrist of someone in the intended demographic. I'm also not sure if the lugs look to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Not for me that. 38mm is a bit to far for me, however I wouldn’t go below 44mm with this brand.

Agreed
    Panerai have a distinctive design DNA / USP, and size is a big part of that. I would not wear a smaller version.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post

I'd say the 512 is one of the best 'small' Panerai. I'm not sure a Luminor should be less 44mm let alone 42 and with the quaranta we're now at 40mm. The frustration with Panerai has been the cheapening of certain properties, like 100m vs 300m water resistance. The Quaranta simply follows the trend. I'd suggest anyone who really wants a 40mm look for an older 048 which to me has more Panerai DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed
    Panerai have a distinctive design DNA / USP, and size is a big part of that. I would not wear a smaller version.
    I agree with this. I have smallish wrists but recently bought my first Panerai and just embraced the 44mm size.

Master
    The Panerai look is that you you’re supposed to wear as large as you can comfortably go. 38mm simply opens more doors for smaller wrists. This is a good thing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    So, this is my Radiomir 40mm. I think it looks just fine on my wrist. I feel that the 42mm versions would have worked too.

That’s gorgeous! Is that a standard Panerai strap? And which number is it?

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    Looks like the PAM00062 to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    Thanks, it is indeed the PAM00062. The strap is the original honey colored alligator strap, very soft and supple. It's still in reasonably good condition, same as the watch, even though it dates to 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'd suggest anyone who really wants a 40mm look for an older 048 which to me has more Panerai DNA.
    16mm thick though and that doesn't bode well for me. I'm very taken with the 512 and the Luminor Due series, particularly the dateless handwound 42mm with sapphire case back although annoyingly that one appears to have been discontinued after a fairly short run.

16mm thick though and that doesn't bode well for me. I'm very taken with the 512 and the Luminor Due series, particularly the dateless handwound 42mm with sapphire case back although annoyingly that one appears to have been discontinued after a fairly short run.
    You do however get a screw down back and 300m water resistance with the 48 ;)

Was there a 42mm 1940s that had a micro rotor?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You do however get a screw down back and 300m water resistance with the 48 ;)

Was there a 42mm 1940s that had a micro rotor?
    Yes, Pam 620 for the micro rotor 42mm radiomir! Lovely looking watch

Master
    I had one, PAM00048, and it I think it looked quite fine, the thickness and proportions worked reasonably well. It looked like a Panerai!-)