closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 43 of 43

Thread: Rolex value proposition

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249

    Rolex value proposition



    Tried this at a dealer, selling for £22k seems good value for a full set, solid gold sports Rolex.

    What you guys think?

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,000
    Very Liberace. Sorry, I wouldnít wear it in a s*** fight.

  3. #3
    Craftsman kinyik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    321
    Looks superb. Personally too much gold for me. Have you looked at the Zenith 16518s? Can be had for around the same money if youíre not too fussed about box and papers. Considerably rarer than their stainless steel cousins.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,024
    Age? Condition? Bracelet length? What exactly comes with it?

    Are those accessories in the background among those included?

    While prevailing asking prices may be headed to this level, consider how much they have risen and whether they are more likely to settle or recede when the extraordinary, wider context changes.

    The Yachtmaster has always suffered an identity crisis, the "Timberland boot with a kitten heel." It does much what a Sub or Sea-Dweller does, but less well.

    It is unlikely that I'd recommend spending this much on one at the moment.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249

    Rolex value proposition

    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Age? Condition? Bracelet length? What exactly comes with it?

    Are those accessories in the background among those included?

    While prevailing asking prices may be headed to this level, consider how much they have risen and whether they are more likely to settle or recede when the extraordinary, wider context changes.

    The Yachtmaster has always suffered an identity crisis, the "Timberland boot with a kitten heel." It does much what a Sub or Sea-Dweller does, but less well.

    It is unlikely that I'd recommend spending this much on one at the moment.
    Full set and full length 13 link bracelet, box papers from original owner


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249

    Rolex value proposition

    Value prop Iím think as the next cheapest full gold sports Rolex is the 5 digit sub with full gold bracelet, that comes with aluminium bezel and has thinner lugs so less gold. By the way Iím pricing this like for like, full sets only

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Looks superb. Personally too much gold for me. Have you looked at the Zenith 16518s? Can be had for around the same money if youíre not too fussed about box and papers. Considerably rarer than their stainless steel cousins.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Leather strap not enough gold for me! For the bling Rolex category

  8. #8
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,155
    Iíd find the £8k needed for a new model. That is an awful looking watch, sorry. Whatís the reason youíre not looking at six digits and why not Subs or GMTs if five digit? You mention bezel and lug thickness but are those really factors?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249

    Rolex value proposition

    Donít think Iíll ever get this, just a thought exercise. 22k full gold yacht or 30k full gold sub. No tangible difference aside you actually get a bit more gold on the yacht! I also donít do any watch justice unfortunately with my skinny hairless wrists and bad photography skills. It looks a lot more special in person, reallyÖ
    Last edited by ac11111; 5th January 2022 at 02:13.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post


    Tried this at a dealer, selling for £22k seems good value for a full set, solid gold sports Rolex.

    What you guys think?
    Depends, are you a scrap metal dealer or a pimp ?

  11. #11
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,096
    There is no value proposition in any previous metal watch but that really is besides the point.

    If you like it and can afford it then buy it; to me it looks like a cheap fashion watch but Iím not a fan of yellow gold.

    I do like the white and rose gold models with the black bezels though.

  12. #12
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    15,545
    If the gold content is your thing, buy a £22k bar of it and a G shock
    Cheers..
    Jase

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,614
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Depends, are you a scrap metal dealer or a pimp ?
    Haha I was on holiday recently with someone who was a scrap metal dealer & had this on his wrist.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Craftsman Idontgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    927
    Looks no worse than any other full gold sports model, to me.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Depends, are you a scrap metal dealer or a pimp ?
    why can I not be both

  16. #16
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,155
    For the exact same money you can get a rose gold YM40 on Oysterflex. No gold bracelet but I know what Iíd rather have.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,444
    The problem is not the YG watch, it is the YG bracelet because it screams "ROLEX LOOK AT ME" and you have to spend a lot of money to make yourself look cheap.

    Take hint from Patek, YG watch and leather strap.

  18. #18
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,100
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Full set and full length 13 link bracelet, box papers from original owner

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like you've sold yourself on it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,948
    I like gold watches but not full gold sports watches, so it gets the thumbs down from me. However, if you like it enough to spend over £20k on the watch thatís all that matters, if youíre paying fair market value and ended up needing to sell it in the future for slightly less I still donít see a problem. If you canít afford to lose £2-3k in such circumstances perhaps you shouldnít be spending £22k on one now. Thatís how I would rationalise the decision, you also need to decide whether the price being asked is fair market value too.

    It may be the photo angle, but to me the watch looks too big on the wrist, a 36mm day- date would look far nicer in my opinion......but Iím not the one whoís buying.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK, Maldives, Singapore
    Posts
    779
    That's a very old watch looking at the dial.

    I've had a few yachtmasters and at the right price they are great watches but it's a no on that one.

    As has already been said I'd go with the newer YM 40, no need for the gold strap


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,114
    Looks hideous to me and, as above, your wrist is too small to carry it off. But, your money, your choice.

  22. #22
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,514
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think the forum can be a little conservative at times.
    If you want to go full mafia with a gold Rolex, do it because its fun, and life can be just about sheer grins sometimes.
    You dont have to care what anyone else thinks, but do it because you love it and not because you think its cheap compared to something else.
    And be prepared to lose on resale.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Lol Iím honestly not going to buy this watch, I was just curious when the dealer had one and I was picking up the milgauss from him. Seemed good value given itís a full gold sports Rolex, blue dial, sounds a bit box ticking.

    Below stolen pick does it more justice, rather than the down in the vaults pic with poor lighting. Rest assured though, Iím not buying it!


  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think the forum can be a little conservative at times.
    If you want to go full mafia with a gold Rolex, do it because its fun, and life can be just about sheer grins sometimes.
    You dont have to care what anyone else thinks, but do it because you love it and not because you think its cheap compared to something else.
    And be prepared to lose on resale.
    Exactly, itís a fun full mafia piece, not a watch to pop down to sainsbury with but maybe twice a year for dinner out.

  25. #25
    Master Wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    1,613
    Or you can go back in a time machine to 2009 and buy my mint example for £7,300.

    I still have nightmares thinking about it

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=73797

    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #26
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,287
    To me, it's not worth the asking price.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  27. #27
    Master spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The problem is not the YG watch, it is the YG bracelet because it screams "ROLEX LOOK AT ME" and you have to spend a lot of money to make yourself look cheap.

    Take hint from Patek, YG watch and leather strap.
    ooohhhhhhhhhh that's harsh!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think the forum can be a little conservative at times.
    If you want to go full mafia with a gold Rolex, do it because its fun, and life can be just about sheer grins sometimes.
    You dont have to care what anyone else thinks, but do it because you love it
    and not because you think its cheap compared to something else.
    And be prepared to lose on resale.
    Well said!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Depends, are you a scrap metal dealer or a pimp ?
    To be fair I run a glorified skip yard and while I know the OP was purely speculating, I agree with another poster and would (and did!) find the extra few quid and go new/er.....

    Last edited by spuds; 5th January 2022 at 13:34.

  28. #28
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,948
    A bit disingenuous to ask for advice and views when you've no intention of buying it!

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    ooohhhhhhhhhh that's harsh!!!!



    Well said!!!



    To be fair I run a glorified skip yard and while I know the OP was purely speculating, I agree with another poster and would (and did!) find the extra few quid and go new/er.....

    I have to say that looks great! The gold yacht master bracelet did feel a tad hollow like ss bracelets of that era, but I bet the gold bracelet on the ceramic sub feels very weighty!

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A bit disingenuous to ask for advice and views when you've no intention of buying it!
    Do I owe you something for wasting your time?

  31. #31
    Master spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I have to say that looks great! The gold yacht master bracelet did feel a tad hollow like ss bracelets of that era, but I bet the gold bracelet on the ceramic sub feels very weighty!
    Thank you, and honestly??

    (and please don't think this is meant in a boastful way) but I usually wear a WG Sub' for work, and this or a DD40 at weekends.

    So I never give the weight a second thought nowadays, but if I do ever feel the need to go SS for any reason, just about the only other watch that I own (on bracelet) which doesn't feel a bit 'tinny'(?) by comparison is my old 45mm Planet Ocean, and that always somehow feels even heavier!!
    (It's actually not, but maybe it's just the sheers sodding size of it that makes me somehow think it is.... )

    Anyway, apologies for going slightly off topic...

  32. #32
    Master spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A bit disingenuous to ask for advice and views when you've no intention of buying it!
    To be fair to the OP mate, I think he was seeking opinions rather than advice....

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    south of the river..
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Or you can go back in a time machine to 2009 and buy my mint example for £7,300.

    I still have nightmares thinking about it

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=73797

    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app
    ouch, that must hurt!

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The Yachtmaster has always suffered an identity crisis, the "Timberland boot with a kitten heel"
    Splendid.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,614

    Rolex value proposition

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Or you can go back in a time machine to 2009 and buy my mint example for £7,300.

    I still have nightmares thinking about it

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=73797

    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app
    Photos really show the yellow much more there and looks great for it.

    I am astounded with the reminder of how the market has changed. Never mind nightmares, Iíd have given up with anything that told me the time!

    ETA if I had the cash for a fun / shocking watch for many, Iíd love it. I will have to settle for my titanium MR-G that to many does not look like a couple of £k lol

  36. #36
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,480

    Rolex value proposition

    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    ouch, that must hurt!
    HindsightÖ
    The only exact science

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    226
    I feel your pain Wazza but if itís any consolation, youíre not the only person with a shoulda woulda coulda Rolex story on this forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Or you can go back in a time machine to 2009 and buy my mint example for £7,300.

    I still have nightmares thinking about it

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=73797

    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

  38. #38
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,384
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

    That dial would look the dogs on an all steel version.

  39. #39
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That dial would look the dogs on an all steel version.
    The modern steel one comes in a blue option, looks the business if you ask me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Master Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,011
    To me its the bezel that takes it over the top - I wonder if such could be professionally painted or coated in some way. The Sub and YM 42 are fabulous

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post


    Tried this at a dealer, selling for £22k seems good value for a full set, solid gold sports Rolex.

    What you guys think?
    I think that nobody would have touched this with a barge pole a few years ago, but somehow it becomes desirable because it is the only Rolex watch you can actually buy when you walk into an AD.

  42. #42
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,176
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think the forum can be a little conservative at times.
    If you want to go full mafia with a gold Rolex, do it because its fun, and life can be just about sheer grins sometimes.
    You dont have to care what anyone else thinks, but do it because you love it and not because you think its cheap compared to something else.
    ..............
    This, all day long!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  43. #43
    Master Wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    1,613
    The full size Yacht-Master in 18k Yellow Gold was discontinued in 2011 and was never replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think that nobody would have touched this with a barge pole a few years ago, but somehow it becomes desirable because it is the only Rolex watch you can actually buy when you walk into an AD.
    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information