closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Grand Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It is very silver TBH which is what put me off
    Thats my major concern about it Ryan, probably back to hoping they re release the us seasons dials or make a snowflake in steel.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Does the boutique offer discounts though? I've popped in before and it's a good place to try stuff, they also have cool models of the movements to look at, but never really thought of going there with serious intent to buy given decent discounts are available on most Grand Seiko models (granted not all!) and my perhaps misplaced impression was the boutique was limited to RRP.
    As far as I'm aware, the boutique doesn't offer discounts but there again, why would they? They exist to promote the brand and whether the watches are purchased at the boutique or elsewhere, they've still sold a watch. I'm sure that they'd prefer a customer to buy at the boutique and to be perfectly honest I'd be happy to. I value service above all else and there are lots of non monetary benefits to buying at a boutique.

Fwiw it's worth, if I'd prefer that there wasn't an option to buy at a discount anywhere. If you want something, pay the price that's advertised. Not a difficult concept and it doesn't stop competition, simply improves service. If everyone charges the same then the only way to get your custom is with better customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Thats my major concern about it Ryan, probably back to hoping they re release the us seasons dials or make a snowflake in steel.
    I agree with Ryan but I wouldn't let that put you off, it's a stunner of a watch and a dial like I've never seen before. I presume you're aware that some of the US seasons dials are being released in the UK? At least, if it's the ones I'm thinking of, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    SBGY007

that's a beautiful watch.

Craftsman
    I’ve drafted and deleted a Want To Buy post for the Quartz SBGX059 several times. I absolutely love the look and history of the brand but it would be my most expensive watch so keep hesitating.

I kind of see GS as the watch lovers watch. Perhaps something that only a WIS would appreciate meaning it would fly under the radar than almost anything else which I like.

I second many of the thoughts on this thread, having owned 5 GS and now down to 1, that I still have yet to see in the flesh. (Blame COVID).

The finishing is top notch.

I love the story as a Japan-ophile.

The cases are way, way too thick.

The bracelets do not compare to the Swiss brands at the same price point, think Rolex, Omega, IWC who make much better bracelets.

The presentation is minimalist in a pair of chopsticks from

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Thanks!
    Sorry I was late to reply - yes, SBGX209. More on it here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Seiko-SBGX209
    Last edited by JGJG; 6th January 2022 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I
    I kind of see GS as the watch lovers watch. Perhaps something that only a WIS would appreciate meaning it would fly under the radar.
    Another way of thinking about life is that every watch is a watch lover’s watch. GS, like so many brands now, ain’t cheap. Yes they’re great value compared to some others, but it does come at quite the price. And there may be more fun and value to be had much less expensively, particularly where budget is a factor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Another way of thinking about life is that every watch is a watch lover’s watch. GS, like so many brands now, ain’t cheap. Yes they’re great value compared to some others, but it does come at quite the price. And there may be more fun and value to be had much less expensively, particularly where budget is a factor.
    True, but second hand I think there's great value to be had with GS.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    I bought my first GS recently - a 9F quartz GMT variant (SBGN003), and I have been really pleased with the overall quality and attention to detail. It punches well above its price point IMO and the 9F accuracy is outstanding.

Agreed with other comments that the bracelet is probably the weakest component, but as it wears so well on leather or rubber, which I prefer, it's not a problem for me.
    Gorgeous watch, that's the one I'm lusting for at the moment, although I'd probably go blue dial purely to have something different in my mini collection.

Out of interest (and if you don't mind saying), was a discount available on this model?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    FWIW they told me there was zero chance of a discount when I went in there. And there's plenty of discounts available elsewhere as you mention. Very nice and helpful though and well worth a visit.
    Yea it's a shame because it is a nice store, but understandable.

For those buying the GS quartzes as the pinnacle of quartz, please also consider the Citizen Chronomaster. They are as well finished as the GS but have arguably a superior movement than the 9f as the movements in the The Citizen range are solar powered and with perpetual calendars. As standard they are accurate to 5 seconds a year however there are variants at hefty prices that are accurate to 1 second per year.

You will need to import from Asia however
    Just spent a little while on Google checking these out, nice looking watches and impressive tech.

This may sound incredibly shallow, but they'd appeal more to me if they had some brand distinction because in my mind a quartz Citizen is Ł100-200 (obviously these are a mark above those, but you know what I mean). Grand Citizen anyone!?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the boutique doesn't offer discounts but there again, why would they? They exist to promote the brand and whether the watches are purchased at the boutique or elsewhere, they've still sold a watch. I'm sure that they'd prefer a customer to buy at the boutique and to be perfectly honest I'd be happy to. I value service above all else and there are lots of non monetary benefits to buying at a boutique.

Fwiw it's worth, if I'd prefer that there wasn't an option to buy at a discount anywhere. If you want something, pay the price that's advertised. Not a difficult concept and it doesn't stop competition, simply improves service. If everyone charges the same then the only way to get your custom is with better customer service.
    Yea there's definitely some value in the boutique experience, just not 20-30% value in it (to me anyway). But such is life!

I’ve drafted and deleted a Want To Buy post for the Quartz SBGX059 several times. I absolutely love the look and history of the brand but it would be my most expensive watch so keep hesitating.

I kind of see GS as the watch lovers watch. Perhaps something that only a WIS would appreciate meaning it would fly under the radar than almost anything else which I like.
    It's a great watch, I had one that I let go in 2019 but I've had an itch for another 9F ever since. As you've given me an excuse, here's some pictures to tempt you!

There could be some truth in this. I would say, that of all the watches I've owned which includes more mainstream names like Omega and Tag, I've only ever had compliments on my GS from strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the boutique doesn't offer discounts but there again, why would they?
    I have secured a discount here before, but it was 2018 and much before the brand really grew legs.

The service however from the boutique is excellent, and to be fair I do agree with your sentiment about just having a fixed price on the product no matter where you buy from.

I add that bugging from the boutique is a great experience, and they do value your custom. Pre Covid I used to pop in for a browse every 6 months. I'd be given a nice bottle of Japanese beer. I've also been given free straps, buckles, pens, travel cases and so on.

Overall, it's a nicer experience than buying from an authorised dealer.

Master
    Very high quality watches. No other manufacturer makes every part of their watches in house. This little diver is good for +/- 10 spy with in house manufactured specially selected quartz crystal. Home grown sapphire crystal and even powered by their own battery.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It's a great watch, I had one that I let go in 2019 but I've had an itch for another 9F ever since. As you've given me an excuse, here's some pictures to tempt you!

It’s a cracker - might put that post up yet!

Thoughts on Grand Seiko?

My 5th, and have bought this one new from Berrys in Nottingham recently.

The packaging and paperwork has improved slightly, looks a bit more fancy - and it came with a very nice travel case and cushion as an additional gift.

This one will not be sold, and may be the last thing I buy for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 7th January 2022 at 00:04.

Craftsman
    I was an “early adopter” of GS brand. I bought my original Snowflake from Seiya back in 2010.

I wrote this in my post then:

“I couldn't care less about residuals as I am not a flipper. I bought this watch for me, because I value its construction, its innovation and its exquisite finish. I would be quite content if everyone else viewed it as "Just a Seiko". “

I love it just as much now as then and wear it about 50% of the time.

They can only be appreciated in the flesh. Do take an opportunity to visit a dealership with some in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    I was an “early adopter” of GS brand. I bought my original Snowflake from Seiya back in 2010.

I wrote this in my post then:

“I couldn't care less about residuals as I am not a flipper. I bought this watch for me, because I value its construction, its innovation and its exquisite finish. I would be quite content if everyone else viewed it as "Just a Seiko". “

I love it just as much now as then and wear it about 50% of the time.

They can only be appreciated in the flesh. Do take an opportunity to visit a dealership with some in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I feel the same way and bought my first GS in Japan. Since then I have bought two more and love them all. I agree the Boutique is a very pleasant place to spend time and the staff are lovely, enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Once I went to look at a Rolex in their boutique and when I took off my GS and laid it next to the Rolex, the contrast was startling and it cured me of my need to consider the Rolex further, which just looked plain and workmanlike by comparison (and far more expensive).

Like many here I also like that GS flies under the radar to most. I've had mine admired and recognised a few times in public but otherwise people usually ask whether it is a new Rolex and lose interest when I say it's a Seiko.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    I love them and have had quite a few. Currently I have this and it’s going nowhere. New case and movement (decorated) and the dial………..

My favourite so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say having a GS for the first time is like getting a Tesla after having a BMW 5 series your whole life. Beemers are nice and well put together, the Tesla is just completely different and some elements are so far advanced that you can't help think it is a totally different and superior experience in that regard. Even though there are some things about the BMW you prefer.

So a GS just feels much better quality than a Rolex or Omega from a dial perspective as well as polishing. Feels more high end. But the Rolex and Omega have better bracelets. Best answer is to get them all!

But the Rolex and Omega have better bracelets
    Like a luxury car with cheap Chinese tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Like a luxury car with cheap Chinese tyres?
    Ha! Well I'd say just less good tyres. The bracelets on GS are nice enough and well finished but they typically don't have micro adjust and the clasps aren't as well engineered

Thoughts on Grand Seiko?

Ha! Well I'd say just less good tyres. The bracelets on GS are nice enough and well finished but they typically don't have micro adjust and the clasps aren't as well engineered
    I am warming to the bracelet on the new diver.
    It has 4 micro adjustment holes, plus the ratcheting clasp - which looks a bit cheap in comparison to bracelets on its peers - but I find my wrist changes across the day and at night, and you can adjust on the fly by just popping the small closure of the clasp, no need to remove the bracelet.

I find it do it at night - I wake up for the pesky baby and it is usually pitch black, my wrist is a bit thicker as I am warm and I don’t need to look to adjust the bracelet a notch or two.
    Very efficient, if a little agricultural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 9th January 2022 at 00:45.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmagla View Post
    Hi,

To get to the point of my post, I've been looking at the Grand Seikos and really like the Snowflake and some of the high beats. Looking at reviews they seem to be well thought of with some excellent high accuracy movements. Just wanted to get people's thoughts who do or have owned them, does the quality/finish stand out etc. I haven't seen any in the flesh so will have a look in store once I shake off this bloody covid.
    I have two GS, and love them both.

Snowflake and White Birch. Both excellent, but the WB is nicer.

Quality and finish far exceeds Rolex if that's what you want to know.

But Rolex Oysterflex bracelet adjustability is superior.