closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where are all the watches going?

Master
    Blog Entries

Where are all the watches going?

I was just browsing a watch sites such as Chrono24 and eBay. I have been looking at getting a VC Overseas.

I get that Rolex demand is high so you can't get these from AD's and therefore you see lots on eBay and if you look at solds there's lots of examples of Rolex sports models that have sold for well above list. Similar with PP and AP to a much lesser extent.

But when it comes to the overseas there's very few for sale and even less that have sold for these prices.

I wonder who is buying these up. I think there is some market manipulation going on here and some dealers inflating the market on these.

I haven't really got much evidence on this but when I proposed selling a 4500v VC Overseas, watchfinfer offered £17k. Under list for a watch that can't be bought from a dealers and they currently have no stock of?

What's people's thoughts on this?

Blog Entries
    I’ve got one. WF is owned by Richmond so some insider trading going on perhaps?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Something seems off. I just don't trust the watch market prices at the moment. Rolex fair enough. They produce so many watches it can't be manipulated by one entity. But VC make around 20k watches a year of which a smaller percentage would be steel overseas. Restrict demand will encourage not only people who want the watch but scalpers too.

Craftsman
    It’s a strange one in respect of the Overseas as the had one listed a few weeks ago at c£35k and it was gone sharpish.

Reality is there are t many watches out there, VC produce 25,000 annually, 20% likely to be overseas, take the female editions and you’re likely sub-4000 watches, then allocate across the various complications, dial colours and metals and there’s no real volume out there…when Bloomberg are writing features on it, you’ve found the next potential bubble.

Specifically regarding Watchfinder, I suspect there’s some Richemont fun and games as Martyn alludes…was surprised when buying my wife a ladies Overseas last week that the boutique retained the hang tag…if my watch ends up at Watchfinder I’m pretty sure I won’t see another in demand VC again.

In the plus side, I was told that the warranty on all VCs is about to be extended to 5 years, catching any watches purchased in last 2 years, which aligns to the prestige brands…always felt like an outlier with that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    AP and VC all been selling fast, it’s the SM rumors that these two brands are SUPER HOT now.
    People cannot buy Rolex so have branched out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    But as soon as they sell above list scalpers buy and sell on. There are not many new VC Overseas on eBay or Chrono24 and no sold examples on eBay.

It seems a bit strange to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    But as soon as they sell above list scalpers buy and sell on. There are not many new VC Overseas on eBay or Chrono24 and no sold examples on eBay.

It seems a bit strange to me.
    I don’t think there is any supply for the scalpers, apparently a 6 year wait for a blue overseas 3 hand version.

I’m down for a gold overseas, heavy purchase history with VC…can get a white dial relatively quickly, blue dial is a hopefully this year sentiment

Anyone selling a VC at the moment, especially an overseas and blue dial below £30k is taking a risk, this brand and watch is red hot…they are hens teeth

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    I don’t think there is any supply for the scalpers, apparently a 6 year wait for a blue overseas 3 hand version.

I’m down for a gold overseas, heavy purchase history with VC…can get a white dial relatively quickly, blue dial is a hopefully this year sentiment

Anyone selling a VC at the moment, especially an overseas and blue dial below £30k is taking a risk, this brand and watch is red hot…they are hens teeth

I would also expect some trading on eBay even if scalpers are picking up second hand.

I can't see it. I think if demand stays high they will produce more.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’ve got one. WF is owned by Richmond so some insider trading going on perhaps?
    Not insider trading - but why on earth would a company owned by Richemont ever buy a used watch on the open market for a price higher than they are making them for themselves and can sell as brand new. That goes for virtually all of their in-house brands.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I would also expect some trading on eBay even if scalpers are picking up second hand.

I can't see it. I think if demand stays high they will produce more.
    "Vacheron Constantin focuses on producing a limited number of pieces. It is the only way to provide the highest levels of quality, design and craftsmanship. Our Maison strives to uphold a singular and refined standing in an industry that is already extremely selective. In that respect, we are undeniably One of not many."

One of not many - Louis Feria - CEO of Vacheron Constantin

At least they are practising what they preach!!

The US market for VC and AP is huge and the U.K. is of comparative insignificance.

Massive demand in the States right now and that’s where they are all going.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The US market for VC and AP is huge and the U.K. is of comparative insignificance.

Massive demand in the States right now and that’s where they are all going.
    But no VC showing up on eBay US (well none have sold). Lots of APs

Craftsman
    Everything I see on Facebook groups etc, there’s a huge proportion of these watches in Asia, non-U.K. customers are a meaningful % of sales for most ADs and that will pretty much all be Asia

Craftsman
    Few points on the OPs comments

1) VC production is very small, it’s the smallest of the trinity brands. Production dipped further within the last two years due to the pandemic.

2) VC are not AP, the Overseas is not their brand watch, even though it has taken off recently. Within the range they have some complicated movements and new launches.

The 7900v production is a fraction of the 4500v

3) Social media has impacted the overseas range in the last 24 months. In the last year it's really had a focus. If you've read some of Martyn’s posts, you'll see that the overseas was undervalued for some time. It never had the hype that the RO had received but it is a better watch, at least until this year's RO launches.

4)Stock allocation won't go to people walking in who comment on resale values etc

Collectors have been getting allocation & those new to the brand also have, the later seem to hold onto them.

5) There is some marketing from within VC impacting the Overseas.
    I won't go into the allocation around the Everest model but it left a lot of collectors annoyed but VC got the brand exposure it had wanted.

Boutiques also now have more control than ADs.

The Overseas also benefited from the buzz around additional strap launches this year & Delugs launching their straps for the model.

It is a complete 3 in 1 watch with the steel, rubber and leather strap options.

6) A lot of people who own the overseas expect a dial change this year. I know several who have them in their collection who if the price increase would sell to fund a higher prices VC piece from the non-overseas ranges.

7) Private sellers are being punchy with their sales posts

8) On the eBay route there was only ever a couple that got listed at a time in the UK. Watch forums and other communities do have them listed.

9) On WF they have had less stock recently then previously, even with the boutique trade in.

- - - Updated - - -

Few points on the OPs comments

1) VC production is very small, it’s the smallest of the trinity brands. Production dipped further within the last two years due to the pandemic.

2) VC are not AP, the Overseas is not their brand watch, even though it has taken off recently. Within the range they have some complicated movements and new launches.

The 7900v production is a fraction of the 4500v

3) Social media has impacted the overseas range in the last 24 months. In the last year it's really had a focus. If you've read some of Martyn’s posts, you'll see that the overseas was undervalued for some time. It never had the hype that the RO had received but it is a better watch, at least until this year's RO launches.

4)Stock allocation won't go to people walking in who comment on resale values etc

Collectors have been getting allocation & those new to the brand also have, the later seem to hold onto them.

5) There is some marketing from within VC impacting the Overseas.
    I won't go into the allocation around the Everest model but it left a lot of collectors annoyed but VC got the brand exposure it had wanted.

Boutiques also now have more control than ADs.

The Overseas also benefited from the buzz around additional strap launches this year & Delugs launching their straps for the model.

It is a complete 3 in 1 watch with the steel, rubber and leather strap options.

6) A lot of people who own the overseas expect a dial change this year. I know several who have them in their collection who if the price increase would sell to fund a higher prices VC piece from the non-overseas ranges.

7) Private sellers are being punchy with their sales posts

8) On the eBay route there was only ever a couple that got listed at a time in the UK. Watch forums and other communities do have them listed.

9) On WF they have had less stock recently then previously, even with the boutique trade in.

Craftsman
    Everything I see on Facebook groups etc, there’s a huge proportion of these watches in Asia, non-U.K. customers are a meaningful % of sales for most ADs and that will pretty much all be Asia

Asia has always been a big market for VC. In 2018 you could walk in and pick up a blue dial in the UK, not so easy in Asia.

Craftsman
    I walked in off the street in December 2019 and bought a blue overseas out of the window with a small discount to seal the deal, prior to the jump to £19k

The story gets repeated back to me with bemusement, but to be fair I still have the watch, bought a high end ladies and now down for a gold high complication…which is not guaranteed for this year despite being pretty much into 6 figures of spend with them

I like VC as a company, despite being part of Richemont, it still feels like a small, discrete brand in its own right

Master
    Blog Entries
    I walked in off the street in December 2019 and bought a blue overseas out of the window with a small discount to seal the deal, prior to the jump to £19k

The story gets repeated back to me with bemusement, but to be fair I still have the watch, bought a high end ladies and now down for a gold high complication…which is not guaranteed for this year despite being pretty much into 6 figures of spend with them

I like VC as a company, despite being part of Richemont, it still feels like a small, discrete brand in its own right

Gold? Nice - which model.

Craftsman
    Ideally an Overseas Perpetual Calendar Ultra Thin or if that’s too difficult to get, the 4500V in gold with the blue dial 3 hander

It’s for a big birthday, so want it to be something out of this world

Master

My view is simple, nautilus and complications or 15202, eveything else is a no, including no to all VC overseas. I had owned the Royal Oak Kasparov and even though it’s now a 40k watch, i didn’t like it as the Royal Oak is all and everything about thinness. The watch has to be well below 10mm or it doesn’t work.
    Last edited by ac11111; 5th January 2022 at 01:17.

Master

I would add, that is why, the watch to get is in fact a bulgari (if you had to and cannot get aforementioned models)
    Last edited by ac11111; 5th January 2022 at 01:37.

Craftsman
    Ideally an Overseas Perpetual Calendar Ultra Thin or if that’s too difficult to get, the 4500V in gold with the blue dial 3 hander

It’s for a big birthday, so want it to be something out of this world

The new 4300v WG PCUT version? That is a great piece.

I turned down the silver dial pink gold version of the 4500v last year with a 30% discount,slightly regretting that now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    My view is simple, nautilus and complications or 15202, eveything else is a no, including no to all VC overseas. I had owned the Royal Oak Kasparov and even though it’s now a 40k watch, i didn’t like it as the Royal Oak is all and everything about thinness. The watch has to be well below 10mm or it doesn’t work.
    I don't think that helps the OP's question on the availability of the overseas

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    I don't think that helps the OP's question on the availability of the overseas

Fair point, should have read his post properly! I do think there is probably collusion amongst dealers, whether real or collective herd mentality