closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyones wife/partner wear a 40mm watch?

Anyones wife/partner wear a 40mm watch?

Any women wearing 40mm watches,do they look ok? pics welcome.Just bought the wife a watch online and hope its not too big,although she prefers a larger watch ,so she tells me

Master
    Can’t see a problem.

that looks well,lol

Craftsman
    No, my wife dislikes large watches. She wore my Tag 38mm sports for a little while. But didn't like it. So sticks to her lady Datejust.

Craftsman
    My wife wears a fairly slim watch but I have seen it slowly becoming more common for women to wear larger watches. My friends wife wears a daytona and it looks good on her. I have seen lots of women wear garmin smart watches etc and they are larger in size. On some women they look oversized whilst others they look fine.

Yep. Missus wears a 40mm Breguet and a 45mm Panerai. And she is very petite. Oversized watches suit women IMHO

Master
    I bought the Timex Snoopy in Space watch as a fun item for me. Never got to wear it. It became my wife's favourite watch.

Master
    Wife says its like having town hall clock on her wrist but has on occasion borrowed something

My wife wears a 40mm Tag aquaracer and she is petite. It has every removable link removed but looks good on her. Do any women wear woman’s size watches anymore apart from the over 60’s? Serious question, even lady datejusts don’t seem all that popular. I imagine it’s down to eyesight as much as fashion - in my early 50’s I struggle with white dials and silver hands etc and wouldn’t stand a chance with a 34mm watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a look. Some men like wearing 46mm watches too. Just a matter of what she likes I guess. My wife wears a 28mm watch and she’s barely half way to 60.

Craftsman
    Not if the lugs over hang, then it looks stupid, but a lot of men wear watches too big for them on here, so do what you like :-) my other half wears a 28mm I told her to try a 31mm and she did not It like it, thank goodness she has taste :-)

My wife wear a 39mm Explorer I daily and her 44mm Panerai now and then.

Lady Sod wearing a 45mm Helgray Superfast; she also regularly wears a 42mm Geckota chrono. She's not worried what others think of her choices (she married me after-all...), rather she does as she wishes to please herself alone.

Sorry, didn't anticipate it was primed for such.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 3rd January 2022 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The last bit seems open to interpretation.........( no offence)

I don't consider such a response offensive, just tiresomely predictable ... (no offence).

Master
    What with the fad for small watches here, people will be pushing Eddie for a 28mm Dreadnought soon ....

find out Wednesday if it suits her,its a seiko srpe51 grey dial ,around 39mm ,but no divers bezel so hoping that looks ok on her.Sure she'll let me know if not

My wife always goes big...

Craftsman
    Mrs quite often wears my ceramic Daytonas on a RubberB strap. Then the Daytona is not actually 40mm.

My better half wears a BB58 and a Mens 40mm rado, OP41 and casioak all look great even though she has a more slender wrist. Personal preference but she can’t stand the old style “womens” watches.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine wears a 16610 sub and 36DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs Cain favours a Breitling Montbrillant - or my Speedy, both 40mm (ish) and the Breitling is “all dial” to boot. Not that it matters, but I think it’s a good look.

My Fiancé loves steeling my Sea Dweller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My wife always goes big...

This is your wife ?

Where is her guide dog ?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    the old style “womens” watches.

I think there is a lot to be said about the "old style womens watches" ie understated class.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think there is a lot to be said about the "old style womens watches" ie understated class.
    Tbh I never understood why a woman’s watch would have a tiny dial and be 28mm or indeed less. I remember being told certain things would make me go blind when growing up so maybe it’s that

Seriously though, there are some beautiful woman’s watches in the smaller sizes it’s just my other half doesn’t like any of them.

My wife tends to stick to around 30mm. She has gone up to 38mm but didn’t much like it and thinks that anything bigger looks ridiculous. Have to say I agree, the average woman wearing a 40-42mm watch is the equivalent of the average man wearing something around 55mm, and I’m sure that we would all ridicule that around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    My wife tends to stick to around 30mm. She has gone up to 38mm but didn’t much like it and thinks that anything bigger looks ridiculous. Have to say I agree, the average woman wearing a 40-42mm watch is the equivalent of the average man wearing something around 55mm, and I’m sure that we would all ridicule that around here.
    I don’t think ridiculing anyones personal preference on a watch would be ok on here………

Quick calcs with the average woman’s wrist at 6.25” and the average man’s at 7.25” ( only a quick Google ) that would be a 16% ish difference so if the perfect size for the average man were 40mm this would be 33.6 mm for the average woman’s wrist.

Roughly at 40mm for the average female as above thats 20% oversize which would equate to 48mm for an average man oversized of which there are many although not to my taste.

Can you tell I am bored and ready to go back to work?

Master
    My wife does wear a 40mm GMT at times. Yes it looks 'big' compared to a traditional ladies watch, but actually it looks nice. Women can probably do fashion better than a lot of men and it becomes wrist jewellery I think. Becomes more about the bracelet with a colourful bezel than a device to tell the time. Whereas when I wear it I pretend it is not jewellery and strictly used to tell the time within a couple of seconds of accurate !

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Having just spent much of the day working on a 1960s ladies watch movement that's the size of my index finger nail I beg to differ! It's from a tiny 19.5mm diameter watch with hr and minute hand only, these things were popular in the old days when women were expected to wear tiny watches but I can`t see how they ever made sense. Ladies watches from the 1920/30s were much larger and easier to read, but I think makers saw it as a badge of honour to produce very small movements and so the fashion changed.

Like men, women come in all shapes and sizes so their wrists vary a lot. Personally I think over-large watches look daft on men but even dafter on women. Common sense should prevail, wear something that suits the wrist size and don't be too influenced by fashion. I prefer vintage watches and I`m happy with the size at 34-36mm, or up to 40mm for a diver or chrono. My Mrs wears two Armani ceramic watches and they're around 33-34mm, plus an Omega Constellation that's around 28mm, she wouldn't dream of wearing a 38-40mm watch!

Mine wears a bulky 44mm breitling superocean on most days and looks amazing on her.

Blog Entries
    Wife’s daily for the last five years has been a Polar 16570, I can’t get it off her.

She has a 28mm bi-metal yachtmaster which she wants to sell as it is WAY too small for her to read. .

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 6th January 2022 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    My wife does wear a 40mm GMT at times. Yes it looks 'big' compared to a traditional ladies watch, but actually it looks nice. Women can probably do fashion better than a lot of men and it becomes wrist jewellery I think. Becomes more about the bracelet with a colourful bezel than a device to tell the time. Whereas when I wear it I pretend it is not jewellery and strictly used to tell the time within a couple of seconds of accurate !
    My wife is the same, 40mm Ceramic GMT. Worn daily

My wife wears a fluted DJ28 but at some point I wouldn’t mind getting her something 31mm and less formal.

I’ve let her try on some of mine but she isn’t interested at all. The lugs go way over her wrists. I don’t think any of my watches would fit her even with all the links taken out.

Could be worse, I could start wearing hers.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I hear this look is quite on trend in certain parts of the UK - seriously!

My mrs wore Seamaster GMT for several years, looked very good on her.
    Last edited by Normunds; 4th January 2022 at 14:35.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear anything up to 45mm.

MrsV wears 36mm

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    This is your wife ?

Where is her guide dog ?
    Well, Charlize doesn't need her guide dog when she's out with me!

Master
    My wife wears a fluted DJ28 but at some point I wouldn’t mind getting her something 31mm and less formal.

I’ve let her try on some of mine but she isn’t interested at all. The lugs go way over her wrists. I don’t think any of my watches would fit her even with all the links taken out.

That's pretty much what a 34mm Datejust looks like on me (8 1/4 in wrist). I know because I tried one on and it was utterly hilarious.

The wife's father was a lovely but delicate little bloke and wore a two-tone DJ with champagne dial for more than three decades.

I had it serviced and the case and bracelet redone after he died, she wore it very briefly (a couple of weeks) then gave it to her elder sister. Hadn't the heart to tell her how much the service had cost. But worth doing regardless to remember the old geezer.

Wife doesn't really wear a watch or any jewellery except on a very big occasion (as in, every few years, and then only maybe ...) that's academics for you I suppose. Actually I quite like that. Neither does daughter funnily enough (also an academic).

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife wears a lady-size Omega Seamaster or an original PRS-3 on Omega mesh, and is happy with both.

Last year a friend approached me for advice what to get for his wife's 40th. Since large watches are quite popular with women these days, I recommended the 39mm Rolsub rose gold Steinhart equivalent. She runs a fashion store, so she certainly knows what's hot, and she absolutely loves it!

Whatever happened to that guy (Peedog?) who used to post pictures of his wife wearing various watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Women can probably do fashion better than a lot of men and it becomes wrist jewellery I think.
    This is it. Womens fashion is often more daring/flamboyant/outrageous than mens. Long gowns, short skirts, sleek, blousy, colourful, shiny/sparkly, elegant, grunge, whatever… women can get away with it. Whereas for men… What shade of blue/grey/black/khaki would sir like the jacket/blazer/chinos/jeans in? Let’s face it - mens watches are generally boring - just look at the homegeneity that we have boiled mainstream Rolex/Omega/Seiko down to, and the pent up demand for it. Women can wear pretty much any watch they want and it can look ok on them. Men? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Whatever happened to that guy (Peedog?) who used to post pictures of his wife wearing various watches?
    … and not a lot else

It is surely conceivable that some reading this thread may have partners who are not female?

In much the same way that a large watch can feminise the smaller male wrist, it can also flatter the female wrist - by making it look slimmer.

Its a fairly old topic for discussion on here but Ive always thought that a man looks far worse wearing too large a watch than a woman does - after all, the majority of women like to look more feminine - whereas the majority of men want to look more masculine.

If my wife told me she was going to buy a 40mm watch Id tell her to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    It is surely conceivable that some reading this thread may have partners who are not female?
    Of course. But the OP clearly states "women wearing 40mm watches".

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    It’s also conceivable that some reading this thread may be female and have partners who are also female?

It’s also conceivable that some reading this thread may be female and have partners who are also female?
    Precisely. This hobby errantly assumes masculinity .

Master
    A Daniel Wellington is always appreciated by the ladies