closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daily wearer: Pelagos fxd or Seamaster ceramic

Daily wearer: Pelagos fxd or Seamaster ceramic

Hi all

I’d like some advice because I can’t quite decide what to do. I currently have a small collection comprising a Rolex Air King 116900, VC overseas dual time, and shortly a Rolex GMT II BLNR.

I’m looking for a new watch that I can wear for holidays and more casually without worrying about damaging it (as much, I’ll still take good care of it).

Currently I’m considering both the Tudor Pelagos FXD (when I can get one), or the Omega Seamaster 300m black ceramic 43mm. The appeal of both is a no date, being a little different from other easily-to-spot models, and being nice and casual/slightly toolish (especially in the case of the Tudor. I’m also open to other suggestions too, and have a budget of up to around £5k.

I have also considered the normal Pelagos and 300m but ruled them out as I’d really like a normal three hander, no date model.

I’d appreciate any other suggestions or watches to consider that might fit the brief!

I would go for the Pelagos. Alternatively, have you considered the NTTD bond? Titanium, no date and a gorgeous domed crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    I would go for the Pelagos. Alternatively, have you considered the NTTD bond? Titanium, no date and a gorgeous domed crystal.

Unlikely to get a NTTD for 5k.

Craftsman
    I have recently purchased a seamaster ceramic and it is a wonderful watch
    The attention to detail is superb it makes you feel special
    Sort of james bond in a tuxedo
    I sold a pelagos lhd to help fund it
    Pelagos in any guise is a great watch but not in the same class as the seamaster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    FXD every time. I’m very impressed with mine. I didn’t want to say it’s perfect but I can’t think of anything that I don’t like about it.

…..oh I know, maybe if it was 40mm rather than 42mm, but I’m becoming less maybe about even that!

Last edited by trident-7; 3rd January 2022 at 12:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of the ones mentioned I would go for the seamaster.

Left field and both have dates which might be a deal breaker but the Zenith Defy Classic or Ulysse Nardin Driver 42 would be great daily wearer non chronos happy in swimming pools etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Of the ones mentioned I would go for the seamaster.

Left field and both have dates which might be a deal breaker but the Zenith Defy Classic or Ulysse Nardin Driver 42 would be great daily wearer non chronos happy in swimming pools etc.
    How about going for the Nekton edition SMP 300? Removes the date complication.

Daily wearer: Pelagos fxd or Seamaster ceramic

Completely different levels of quality. Seamaster is on par with Rolex and generally Tudor is lower quality and built to more of a budget which shows up in lower quality bracelets and bezel inserts.

Not saying Tudor is not a nice watch, but not in the same league as the Seamaster
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 3rd January 2022 at 10:59.

Has to be the FXD assuming you can get one.

Brushed Titanium toolish/military vibe, matt ceramic lumed bezel, unique case configuration making it an absolute (fabric) strap monster. Light, slim and still dresses up.

I think you’ll find the seamaster has a date
    At 6

I’d agree - it’d be the FXD for me. With the brushed titanium case, matte dial, matte bezel and fabric strap, it fits the tool watch style you’re after. It’s really comfortable too - the lower height of the case is noticeable on the wrist and it’s really well balanced. It’s actually decent value for money too (as much as any luxury watch can be).

I briefly owned the ceramic Seamaster but ended up returning it. The case is really nice (Omega’s ceramic cases are excellent IMO) and well finished but it felt really quite large and thick on my 17cm wrist. I liked the matte, no date dial but the bezel is shiny, like that found in the standard Seamaster 300m. I felt that the watch would draw a bit too much attention for my personal preferences. As suggested below the 300m Nekton is also no date but the bezel is pretty eye catching and may or may not be for you in person. Whilst it has a date, the standard white dialled Seamaster 300m is excellent on the black rubber strap and also good value. Or there’s the new Seamaster 300 heritage model if you like the vintage styling - no date with a matte aluminium bezel insert and sandwich dial. The polished case looks quite smart and less toolish but the watch looks great on a black rubber or textile strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I think you’ll find the seamaster has a date
    At 6
    The ceramic one the op mentions is a no date model.

I personally do not like the design of Seamaster and the fact that the more recent iterations of them have gone the Rolex way in that they are becoming a bit too blingy and shiny makes them even less tool like.

If you are going for the tool aesthetic then the FXD fits the brief much better than any Seamaster. The only restrictive element for most people I think would be the fixed lugs as that limits most straps from being used.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Completely different levels of quality. Seamaster is on par with Rolex and generally Tudor is lower quality and built to more of a budget which shows up in lower quality bracelets and bezel inserts.

Not saying Tudor is not a nice watch, but not in the same league as the Seamaster
    Heard something similar on sales corner. Must be true:-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The one you like the look of most

I prefer the Omega as its wears a bit smaller.

Having recently sold a CWC diver as I just couldn’t get on with the limitations of fixed bars, personally I don’t think the Tudor will be all that popular once the hype disappears. However as a holiday watch the Tudor would be less flashy than the Omega - and less bashable on poolsides than a bracelet watch plus less likely to get pinched by the locals. Would be a better addition to your collection imho

Master
    I asked in my local AD about the Pelagos, he described it as a "frivolous trinket". Still like it though.

Master
    I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either, probably the only choice is which one you prefer the look of after trying it on. I have to throw in the BB58 as well if it’s not too small for you.

Personally though, I’d be wearing the VC dual time, obviously dressed up or down for the occasion. As long as it’s insured, enjoy it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

The bracelet on the regular Pelagos is so much better than that on a Seamaster. Not sure how you can say that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    The bracelet on the regular Pelagos is so much better than that on a Seamaster. Not sure how you can say that.
    Well, tbf he did say generally for exactly this reason,I suspect

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I looked long and hard at these very watches.

In the eye of this beholder, the black ceramic is one of the most handsome Omega Seamasters. But its ceramic case means, inevitably, that it lacks a bracelet – one of the Seamaster’s most masterly features. It’s too pricey, IMO, for a Rubber Strap Only timepiece. However, rubber fetishists may find great pleasure in the black Omega.

Could Damasko’s latest DSub50 be another option? This Damasko may be lower-priced than an FXD, yet Damasko’s case technology is altogether higher-level. It blows the FXD case out of the water. Plus, the A26 movement is built for reliability and longevity (e.g., using ice-hardened steel for parts that otherwise suffer from wear). Even the crown remains waterproof when operated underwater! And the bezel action is exceptional, thanks to ceramic bearings. The whole package is a thing of over-engineered beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don’t think the Tudor will be all that popular once the hype disappears.
    I have to agree with Rob that the FXD might be a fad. The original Pelagos had a rightness that, like the best designs, it’s hard to put your finger on. But I find the FXD hasn’t – despite being in vogue for now. Though time may prove me wrong.

Interesting, I see the FXD as a distinct improvement on the rightness of the Pelagos.
    The asymmetry of the Pelagos dial is addressed by removal of the date.
    Same with a fully indexed bezel.
    It makes a purposeful design more so.
    And one of the big Pelagos complaints, slab-sidedness, is reduced considerably.

Finally, the blue is more in keeping with the original Tudor blue, less loud than the standard blue Pelagos. Another improvement.

I predict the FXD is here to stay.
    I also predict it may not be very long before a brave modder or two removes the fixed lugs on one and give it drilled lugs. WHen they do, they will have a queue of people wanting the same.

Dave

Master
    Dave, I may be wrong – it's not unknown!

Similar buying criteria OP….have a few nice pieces and i look after them and don’t want to wear when clearing the gutters or under a wheel arch…..

I wanted something under the radar i could wear both as a daily and on hoildays abroad involving beaches, pools and lots of snorkeling (fingers crossed 2022)….

So i went FXD Pelagos and it has spent the last 12 days welded to my wrist …not one swop which for me is quite miraculous….

It wears very comfortably and being ‘single pass’ strap and no HEV height is for a tool watch slender by comparison to many others and for me more wearable than the original Pelagos, I think they have gotten it spot on dimensionally, dont read too much into the 52mm lug to lug its more Sub size than DS, the thing i love is the dial simplicity and hence its clarity great for older eyes a glance and you know its afternoon nap time..lume is unreal a 3am pee time…

No doubt the Seamaster is iconic and a fabulous watch with great specs but personally i struggle with the latest more glitzy dials ,skeleton hands and harder to grip bezel when timing the pizza…. I do however hanker for a NTTD…

I cant say i agree with the comments about Tudor built to a budget i can see no corners cut maybe velcro isn’t for everyone, I await an Ericas arriving ….would you not be worried an SMP as much as your others ?
    at £ 2920 the FXD at 1/2 the price gives you dare i say a more carefree daily and holiday watch…

The FXD feels like a Defender the SMP a Velar….

The Zenith Defy Classic recommendation….great shout….
    Last edited by TKH; 5th January 2022 at 08:23.

Master
    Have you considered the Vertex M60?
    https://vertex-watches.com/collections/m60
    Comes as a no date option and plenty of flexibility for dressing up and down with bracelet and strap options.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Interesting, I see the FXD as a distinct improvement on the rightness of the Pelagos.
    The asymmetry of the Pelagos dial is addressed by removal of the date.
    Same with a fully indexed bezel.
    It makes a purposeful design more so.
    And one of the big Pelagos complaints, slab-sidedness, is reduced considerably.

Finally, the blue is more in keeping with the original Tudor blue, less loud than the standard blue Pelagos. Another improvement.

I predict the FXD is here to stay.
    I also predict it may not be very long before a brave modder or two removes the fixed lugs on one and give it drilled lugs. WHen they do, they will have a queue of people wanting the same.

Dave
    I’d go along with all of this. A black version and I would be very interested.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Similar buying criteria OP….have a few nice pieces and i look after them and don’t want to wear when clearing the gutters or under a wheel arch…..

I wanted something under the radar i could wear both as a daily and on hoildays abroad involving beaches, pools and lots of snorkeling (fingers crossed 2022)….

So i went FXD Pelagos and it has spent the last 12 days welded to my wrist …not one swop which for me is quite miraculous….

It wears very comfortably and being ‘single pass’ strap and no HEV height is for a tool watch slender by comparison to many others and for me more wearable than the original Pelagos, I think they have gotten it spot on dimensionally, dont read too much into the 52mm lug to lug its more Sub size than DS, the thing i love is the dial simplicity and hence its clarity great for older eyes a glance and you know its afternoon nap time..lume is unreal a 3am pee time…

No doubt the Seamaster is iconic and a fabulous watch with great specs but personally i struggle with the latest more glitzy dials ,skeleton hands and harder to grip bezel when timing the pizza…. I do however hanker for a NTTD…

I cant say i agree with the comments about Tudor built to a budget i can see no corners cut maybe velcro isn’t for everyone, I await an Ericas arriving ….would you not be worried an SMP as much as your others ?
    at £ 2920 the FXD at 1/2 the price gives you dare i say a more carefree daily and holiday watch…

The FXD feels like a Defender the SMP a Velar….

The Zenith Defy Classic recommendation….great shout….
    That’s probably why I like it so much!

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies to this thread, there have beens some really interesting suggestions.

I took a step back and thought about what my motivations for the two options were, and I came up with the following list:

1. Something I can enjoy wearing but am not worried about the occasional scratch
    2. Under the radar and not instantly recognisable
    3. The appeal of a no date is for ease of use; I probably won't wear it all the time, so being able to put it on and wear quickly is appealing
    4. A bit more causal than my current collection, to be more suited for holiday and weekend use
    5. A decent water resistance so I can just wear it in a pool or shower without worry

With all those things in mind, I've gone down a slightly different path: A Grand Seiko Quartz - the SBGV247 to be precise.

It ticks all those boxes, and still has a very high level of finishing but at a price point that won't worry me if I damage it too much. It's also quite unique and I can just pick it up whenever I need to wear it.

Should arrive in a couple of weeks, so I'll upload photos when it gets here!

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    Have you considered the Vertex M60?
    https://vertex-watches.com/collections/m60
    Comes as a no date option and plenty of flexibility for dressing up and down with bracelet and strap options.
    I quite like that, do you (or anyone else perhaps) have one?

...and back to the OP's question, I'd go Omega over Tudor every time.

Craftsman
    I really like the look of the FXD and wouldn’t mind getting one for my birthday this year.

Any ideas when/if MN 22 will be available so my years tie together?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I really like the look of the FXD and wouldn’t mind getting one for my birthday this year.

Any ideas when/if MN 22 will be available so my years tie together?

Journeyman
    I'm not a huge fan of Tudor but the Pelagos FXD looks very nice. The lug to lug length is a bit too much for me though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrysogonus View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Tudor but the Pelagos FXD looks very nice. The lug to lug length is a bit too much for me though.
    Quite a lot of that length is hidden by the strap though. I’ve just had my steel ruler on it & the visible lug to lug length is no more than 48mm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Is that a yes then?
    Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Is that a yes then?
    Thanks
    MN22 will be out there but I know nothing about availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    I’m looking for a new watch that I can wear for holidays and more casually without worrying about damaging it (as much, I’ll still take good care of it).
    In this case I would not consider a ceramic watch - one slip of the fingers and you might end up with a chipped, cracked or broken case.

Apprentice
    For balance, I have worn a ceramic bezelled watch as a daily for 10 years, and its as good as new.

Tudor Vs Omega debate. I have a Seamaster 300, and had an older Pelagos. The Omega is just a better quality watch, it even looks better quality.

I've been dissapointed with Tudors build quality over the years

But you pay more for the Omega, so it should be better materials finished to a higher standard.
    Personally I think Rolex have played a blinder by enticing Omega higher up the price scale and then placing Tudor underneath them, cost wise, to pick up Omega exiles at both ends of the scale.