closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Concentration

Master

Concentration

I found this article fascinating and quite thought-provoking:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...s-social-media

I must admit I think my ability to concentrate has diminished with time. I’m sure part of that is age, but our digital world surely has played a part too. I’m not a huge social media user (twitter for work, and a rarely-used Facebook account) but I do work as a consultant for multiple companies and the constant barrage of teams / email / various other messaging tools can be hugely distracting.

Anyway I found that article very interesting and food for thought for a new year perhaps.

Yup we´re, well some are, dumbing ourselves down, distracting ourselves stupid you could say. Too much time spent in the digital will detract from the real. Obvious really. Thanks for posting the article.

TL;DR
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    TL;DR
    Haha - bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    TL;DR
    Had to look it up, HAH.

Master
    A few days in a cottage with no internet, tv or phone signal and I realised what I was really missing in my life. I binned several apps on my phone once I got back. When the TV breaks it will not be replaced! I do have a hammer in my shed and over the last few weeks, I am tempted to use it on the TV!

Grand Master
    Until recently I never accessed internet whilst on holiday and never used a mobile phone, one of the attractions of a holiday is getting away from the everyday stuff. I realise I`m in a minority thesedays!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    A few days in a cottage with no internet, tv or phone signal and I realised what I was really missing in my life. I binned several apps on my phone once I got back. When the TV breaks it will not be replaced! I do have a hammer in my shed and over the last few weeks, I am tempted to use it on the TV!
    Our TV went in the skip 14 years ago when my twins were 9 and they’ve not looked back. We put an iMac where the tv had been and could get most catch up services, Netflix etc but it couldn’t just be turned on and flicked through. I’ll never buy a TV again.

I feel like the article author has somewhat misunderstood his audience when writing War & Peace on the topic of how nobody can concentrate for long...!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I feel like the article author has somewhat misunderstood his audience when writing War & Peace on the topic of how nobody can concentrate for long...!
    I couldn’t concentrate long enough to read it all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I skipped to the end for the conclusion. But it was too long….
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd January 2022 at 21:58.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    The author of this article has written a book on the subject, with his sources fairly comprehensively debunked here: https://twitter.com/DrMatthewSweet/s...896975877?s=20

In short, he's cherry-picked parts of non-academic or limited 'research' to support his own arguments, playing to a population bias that has existed for decades.

Your concentration is fine.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm no fan of Johann Hari and laughed for days when he torpedoed his own career a few years ago. He was very much the Owen Jones of his time, except that Owen hasn't done that yet. But I will say that I was quite impressed by what he had to say in an interview on 5 Live on Monday, while plugging his new book. He did speak with obvious enthusiasm for the topic. Some of what he had to say did ring true, I must say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    The author of this article has written a book on the subject, with his sources fairly comprehensively debunked here: https://twitter.com/DrMatthewSweet/s...896975877?s=20

In short, he's cherry-picked parts of non-academic or limited 'research' to support his own arguments, playing to a population bias that has existed for decades.

Your concentration is fine.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Very interesting indeed - many thanks for posting. A field I know absolutely nothing about so the links in that twitter thread are very useful.

Maybe my seemingly increasingly crappy concentration is just old age after all!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Increase your brain circulation with exercise and better nutrition etc.