closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What do you plan to do with the Rolex dial?
    I’m not sure yet. Probably build it into a 70s case - I’m liking very angular cases this week - and fit a Seiko 7s26 or nh35 movement. A problem is that the Rolex date aperture doesn’t line up with the Seiko date wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    I’m not sure yet. Probably build it into a 70s case - I’m liking very angular cases this week - and fit a Seiko 7s26 or nh35 movement. A problem is that the Rolex date aperture doesn’t line up with the Seiko date wheel.

Thank you.
    Last edited by magirus; 19th May 2022 at 09:22.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I'm now 2 in 1 out.

Couldn't pass on the gw5000 on sc

With 3 others on the chopping block.

Definitely trying to reduce this year.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm still on track and am even down to 4 watches now. Also I've had an offer accepted on a house BUT it's complicated by the fact that there are tenants in situ. I want this resolved soon not least because I want to start buying watches again!
    Update. I got down to 3 mechanical watches, upped my budget due to healthy 21/22 accounts and bought my dream (within reason) house whilst turning my old house into a BTL.

Total failure, and I've already f**ked myself for 2023, I've bought three watches I haven't yet got in my possession.

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’ am in. I have 5 watches and intend to end 2022 with the same number or less.

And again, fundraiser contribution should I fail.
    [QUOTE=TheGent;5906204]I think I’m more confident this because I’ve bought and sold the same watches multiple times and come to a realisation that I am chasing a dream rather than a specific watch.
    Time will tell!

Well I’ am down to three so I’m impressed with myself

I did panic slightly when this thread was resurrected and I wondered what I’ had committed to!

Challenge is to stick to 3 in 2023.

Craftsman
    Another failure year for me...I think a net increase of 4 this year.

Maybe 2023 can be my consolidation year and I can trim a few away??

I have reduced my timepieces to two.
    One mechanical and the other an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Given that I set myself a no-increase rule, I’m doing well. I’ve sold three and bought two. Another two are for the chopping block.

I’ll be at 3-and-a-G by the summer. Looking forward to it!
    Well, I got down to four and 2Gs but the Gs are the same and one is up for sale and one of the other watches is not in rotation so very nearly there. I have my eye on either a bb58 925 or a spirit 37mm next year so more consolidating this year.

Master

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

I recall thinking this was a good thread, but don’t see that I made any pledge to stop buying. This is good because I think I’m plus 5 during a year in which I was adamant I wouldn’t buy any more.

2023 Jan my Dornbluth 99.4 arrives and I’m advised good chance of a blue face Skydweller and a Batman.

Plan to buy Breguet and a Lange and then stop, oh except for another Sinn, etc etc

I suspect I will need to sell some off.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 26th December 2022 at 14:41.

Disappointing year this year, only three out, and seven in!

In 2022:
    1. Casio MRW-200H white dial
    2. Nite 'Hawk' T100
    3. Damasko DC56 (my second one )
    4. Seiko SNKK11J1
    5. Hrudoland bronze pilot chrono quartz
    6. Omega Planet Ocean
    7. Seiko SLA043 / 62MAS reissue

Out 2022:
    1. Swiss Military Hanowa carbon diver
    2. Zeno Pro Diver 2
    3. Sinn 140 A chrono

Annoyed with myself, I have a plethora of cheap watches I barely wear, plus no less than five unsold from >2 years ago, and ~10 more earmarked to be moved-on, most of which are unsaleable or worth so little used they're more trouble than they're worth to sell, especially when you're expected to become Amazon and cover postage on a dirt cheap watch...!

Wish I could ban myself from my own laptop... GAH!
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 29th December 2022 at 23:31. Reason: Forgot one... Yeesh...

Master
    I managed just the one this last year and that was a cheap one. I suspect I could abstain in 2023. Lost interest for a bit and really craving to get the feeling for wanting one again though.

Wanted to avoid any purchases and concentrate on selling. Failed gloriously on the purchase front, but net number of watches in the collection was reduced so I'll take that as a hollow victory.

Done some thinking over Xmas and decided the blue Tudor BB58 that I wanted to add in 2023 probably would not oust the black dial variant that I already own and not sure I'd want two. Plus I have the blue dial covered with a rather nice Squale. Only other potential acquistion was going to be the GShock GW5000U. Rushed to add that this year via a WTB so with some discipline, the plan is to avoid any further additions with a slim possibility of some minor surgery consolidating.

We will see......

I had initially planned to sit tight with what I had at the start of 2022, but the watch hobby had to take a backseat due to the large house renovation and build project which ramped up significantly this year.

Financial pressures due to increases in raw material costs and a mid year desire to purchase a 116600 which didn't go away were the catalysts for a significant change in my watch collection.

Overall I have gone from 6 to 3 which I find much less stressful, and I did flirt with the idea of going down to 2 but in the end the buyer who was going to purchase my 16600 changed their mind and secretly I have been thankful for that as it has been on my wrist 80% of the time ever since.

Out :
    • Seiko SLA043
    • Rolex 14060M
    • Grand Seiko SBGA415 Winter
    • Rolex OP 41 Bright Blue
    • Rolex BLNR

In :
    • Rolex 116600
    • Rolex 214270 MK2

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Update. I got down to 3 mechanical watches, upped my budget due to healthy 21/22 accounts and bought my dream (within reason) house whilst turning my old house into a BTL.
    Sounds like good life choices right there!

I've been tempted to try and hang on to my current house when we do make a move in the not-distant future, but the nuances of capital gains tax etc have been worrying me. If you don't mind me asking, how did it work out for you, as I assume your original home has already appreciated while you were living in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I have reduced my timepieces to two.
    One mechanical and the other an Apple Watch.
    Ah the dream of simplicity. Is there a logical separation for when you wear the Apple watch vs the mechanical?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Sounds like good life choices right there!

I've been tempted to try and hang on to my current house when we do make a move in the not-distant future, but the nuances of capital gains tax etc have been worrying me. If you don't mind me asking, how did it work out for you, as I assume your original home has already appreciated while you were living in it?
    Basically the historical appreciation is such that I'm in it for the long term. My accountant pointed out that there will be significant cgt to pay should I sell the property before I retire (cgt is based on income at the minute) and unless it all goes tits up I won't be selling. I may not even sell it when I do retire (in 20 years or so) as it will provide a useful residual income. Even with the current situation in the property market (which certain members here delight in talking up) there still isn't any better alternative to work towards a retirement vehicle. Every IFA I've spoken to, even given the current climate, couldn't suggest a viable alternative. To get the amount of rent PCM I'm currently receiving I'd need to put HUNDREDS of thousands into a pension pot and even then it would be subject to the markets.

If you are looking to turn your property into a BTL I'd suggest you need to consider it as a long term investment. There's also the additional stamp duty to pay on a second property which for me was substantial.

Craftsman
    I almost made it. Noting purchased all year but I bought an Apple Watch ultra today.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I was a successful member of the club last year, in spite of some very close wobbles thanks to Kickstarter; both of which I saw sense on and kept my vow.

This year I intend to do the same but I'm not wildly convinced I'll manage it. There are a lot of watches I'm in love with and the itch is definitely there. Let's see how long I go for...

Good luck to all other members!
    Survived and, in truth, fairly easily. While I always looked at SC the longer I went without buying the more I enjoyed what I already have. A few straps came in to give a new look here and there, particularly on the Schofield, but in watch-buying terms I can safely say I abstained.

Congrats to all those who stuck to their vows of abstinence.

To those who didn't, congrats on your lovely new wrist candy!

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    I almost made it. Noting purchased all year but I bought an Apple Watch ultra today.

Wrist computers / corporate tracking devices are not real watches - so you're clean, citizen, well-done