closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roast lamb leftovers - any simple, delicious recipes?

Red face Roast lamb leftovers - any simple, delicious recipes?

I'm not keen on lamb sandwiches. :) All input appreciated!

Happy New Year!!

Craftsman
    You could either stick it in the blender with an egg and make yourself some lamb burger patties

Or

Last time we had leftover lamb we shredded it, made some flatbreads and did some home made kebabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We chop it finely, high heat in a good pan or ideally wok with no oil (fat will come out of lamb)

Once it’s crisped up fire in some stir fry veg of your choice and sauce (we make our own combo of soy ginger garlic)

Serve with rice or noodles depending on mood

Anything involving cooking it again and you will lose the delicate taste of lamb. The exception for me would be a shoulder as it has more fat than a leg or rack, and is not as nice once cold.
    I usually enjoy it as a cold platter, with a salad and some Dijon mustard or a homemade garlic mayonnaise.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Oh! yes.

Our Roast Lamb Sunday is inevitably followed by

drum roll

Lamb Tagine.

Ish.

It's an imitation of a real tagine recipe, but tailored to our particular taste, so feel free to do the same. It' s a simple easy-to-make saucepan dish; all the hard work has been done on the Sunday Roast.

Large saucepan on medium heat; slice an onion, crush and chop some garlic cloves, and soften in some oil.

Add four skinned chopped tomatoes, chili pepper to suit your taste, spoonful of ground cumin, spoonful of ground turmeric, honey to suit your taste, chopped fresh coriander to suit, the remains of the roast lamb cut into cubes, and simmer for 30-40 mins stirring occasionally until all the ingredients have blended into a sort of tomatoey sludge. Stand by with the tomato purée if you want a thicker sauce. Or a little water if felt necessary.
    Once plated up, sprinkle the tagine with toasted flaked almonds.

Job done. Took me longer to type this than it does to make the meal.

I serve it with a citrus rice side dish, which is Basmati rice to which I add drops of lime, orange, and lemon juice whilst boiling, and the zest of the orange, lime, and lemon just before serving. And a little of the chopped coriander saved from the recipe.

Once you have made this, you can tailor it to suit by adding apricots, sultanas etc, which a tagine should have but we personally don't care for, so we just leave them out.
    Last edited by unclealec; 2nd January 2022 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post

Last time we had leftover lamb we shredded it, made some flatbreads and did some home made kebabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We do this often
    Cumin, paprika, chilli, coriander, salt, pepper whizzed up in a spice blender sprinkled over to top whilst dry frying in a pan. Make some tzatziki, hummus throw in some salad. Better than a Friday night chucking out time elephant leg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post

Usually this. Sometimes chop or shred the meat and make a shepherd's pie something like this: https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/...shepherds-pie/

Traditional Scottish 'Stovies'

Cube the lamb
    One large onion, chopped finely.
    A couple of carrots - chopped and boiled.
    a load of par-boiled potatoes, cut to 3/4" cubes.
    **One fully boiled potato - riced (to thicken the stovies)
    Some lamb stock cubes
    Salt and plenty of coarse black pepper
    (optional - some chilli flakes)
    **riced potato only added when thickening to desired texture

Mix it all together in a pan with water, and thicken by a combination of stirring (slowly) and finally adding riced potato to adjust. You don't want the potato cubes to disappear, just to have the edges rubbed off to thicken the 'stew'

Serve with oatcakes on the side (if you want to be a traditionalist)

There will be recipes online- but the big difference is reserving one riced potato to the side so that you can get the exact thickness without ruining the potato cubes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    We chop it finely, high heat in a good pan or ideally wok with no oil (fat will come out of lamb)

Once it’s crisped up fire in some stir fry veg of your choice and sauce (we make our own combo of soy ginger garlic)

Kinda this.

But for ramen, a bowl of raw veg, bean sprouts, red onion, bok Choi carrot Whatever a instant noodle pack for the broth and noodles a the dry fried lamb on top with a drizzle of suracha

I love left over meat for pasta sauces. Fry onion, garlic and tomatoes, pour cream over and reduce to a thick sauce. Dice the left over meat and throw in the last minute just to heat.

Serve with thick pappardelle and loads of freshly grated black pepper and Parmesan on top.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I love left over meat for pasta sauces. Fry onion, garlic and tomatoes, pour cream over and reduce to a thick sauce. Dice the left over meat and throw in the last minute just to heat.

Serve with thick pappardelle and loads of freshly grated black pepper and Parmesan on top.
    This /\ the fat content of lamb lends itself to the creation of some very unctious pasta dishes. I would skip the cream but that is personal preference. As i'm sure most of you will know always soften your onions well first. Most cook books will tell you 5 to 10 mins but in my opinion this is only half the time they at least! Unless of course the onions up here in Cumbria are hard ;-)

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

You could do this: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5716108 . It’s an obvious thing to do with leftover roast lamb, but to me it’s still the best.

Craftsman
    Shepherds pie would be my choice

Shepherds pie, curry or tagine are my default leftover lamb meals.

Thanks Guys! :) So many great ideas - appreciated.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I’m sorry….I don’t understand….left over roast lamb?

Never happens.

I’d just eat it cold or warm in pita bread or similar.

For me if in another dish like shepherds pie or curry it has to be started from raw and cooked with the other ingredients.

Blog Entries
    Cube and fry in butter with sliced onions and button mushrooms. Once coloured add beef stock (oxo) and reduce. Then add crème fresh or double cream, loads of cracked black pepper and salt to taste.

I do the same with pork and with both it’s good to get some crisp on the fat.

Pitch

Although I generally find the two of them intensely irritating, this always works well in our household:

https://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/leftover-pie

Lamb works really well with it, as does beef and venison.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cube and fry in butter with sliced onions and button mushrooms. Once coloured add beef stock (oxo) and reduce. Then add crème fresh or double cream, loads of cracked black pepper and salt to taste.

I do the same with pork and with both it’s good to get some crisp on the fat.

Pitch
    This man speaks wisely - aside from the mushrooms!

Well, I would also use lamb stock, but he is nearly there lol.

HNY Paul!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    This man speaks wisely - aside from the mushrooms!

Well, I would also use lamb stock, but he is nearly there lol.

HNY Paul!
    You talk some sh1te mate. lol

Likewise, here’s to a good’un and some ftf GTG’s

Hugs

Pitch

What a bunch of ponces.

All you need is a couple of spoons of Patak’s madras paste and a tin of tomatoes. Job done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

This. Done several times like that, add some yoghurt for creaminess and make a burrito. Gnam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I’m sorry….I don’t understand….left over roast lamb?

Never happens.
    You need a bigger lamb. :)

Master
    You're all over thinking this!

Heat leftover lamb gently in gravy. Serve with bubble and squeak. That's what my mum used to do...delicious!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Nan used to make amazing bubble and squeak with the previous days leftovers as we never had much money.

I would go with the curry. Find a recipe for Laal Maas.