closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf - what starter clubs ?

Master

Golf - what starter clubs ?

My partner is very keen to get into golf and I plan to buy some kit for her to get started.

I’m okay going to the shop and spending £1k on some stuff but cautious of the all the gear no idea syndrome.

What are the key clubs she needs to start to learn at driving range and perhaps a pitch and putt ?

Anyone know of a golf pro in Kent or Essex that would be good for a block or sessions?

My first port of call would be a lesson or two with a local pro in your area. They will set you off on the right track so your/her practice is useful. No point in going to the driving range and practicing bad technique. While the game is new and fresh this is the time to pick up correct technique and reinforce good habits.

They'll also be able to advise on clubs as well. I'd be surprised if they didn't suggest a fitting even if it may just be a static fit for a beginner to give you an idea of the right type of clubs to buy. I'd put money on them suggesting Ping brand clubs as they offer a lot of versatility.

£100ish should be able to get you a 2 or 3 lessons with a pro in your area. Then use the other £900 to buy second hand clubs. You'll get nothing but less for your money if you buy brand new.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    ^^^^^^^ excellent advice

Something similar from me. Lessons are key to beginners otherwise it’s easy to drop off through frustration. Golf can drive you crazy as those of us who play know…

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Golf will drive you crazy as those of us who play know…
    ​Fixed that for you!

Master
    I restarted golf about 2.5 years ago and I'd agree with what has been posted already Lessons are far more important than clubs. I'd add that practicing what you learned during the lessons is important to get value out of the lessons. Buy her a glove, some lessons and a voucher to get more kit once she has an idea what she needs.

Master
    Happy to set up lessons with a pro, just keen to get a recommendation for a good one.

The fitting idea is interesting as Ping seem very keen to do this, but others less so. My technique is rubbish, in part because of being overweight but also my back is stiff.

I’d rather buy sets that are decent and good for starting and also suitable as we improve. So rather kit that too good for beginners that we grow into - is this approach appropriate with golf clubs or should I be thinking a set to learn and then move on?

Really no idea with choices include considerations such as grips, shaft flex, etc.

The big shops American golf don’t seem to seek ladies kit which Is off.

Fantastic coach…trust me! Based at Burstead GC now. Very easy going and not pushy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice would be talk her out of it ,golfs for getting away from the missus.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Happy to set up lessons with a pro, just keen to get a recommendation for a good one.
    Go to your local club. For a beginner 99% of pros will get you on the right track.

The fitting idea is interesting as Ping seem very keen to do this, but others less so. My technique is rubbish, in part because of being overweight but also my back is stiff.

I’d rather buy sets that are decent and good for starting and also suitable as we improve. So rather kit that too good for beginners that we grow into - is this approach appropriate with golf clubs or should I be thinking a set to learn and then move on?
    You should absolutely be thinking the second option. Don't buy clubs that are too good for you now in the hope you'll grow into them. It'll only make the game harder hampering your improvements, maybe even too a point you never get good enough for the clubs you've got.

Really no idea with choices include considerations such as grips, shaft flex, etc.
    The Pro should be able to advise on all this based on a combo of static fit (that being essentially getting measured) and a dynamic fit (watching you swing) and looking at things such as swing speed etc.

The big shops American golf don’t seem to seek ladies kit which Is off.

I'd avoid American Golf. Very expensive and they fit to sell. Your local pro will be the most useful person you'll know in golf.

Ditto previous advice, and a second hand set of decent irons are far better value than new clubs for similar money. Go cavity-backed not blades, and unless you're unusually tall or short, standard length irons will almost certainly be fine.
    Woods are trickier, but a beginner should probably be using a 5 iron off the tee anyway for the first wee while.
    Putters are entirely a matter of personal taste, and you may find you hit it more consistently with a £20 cheapie than a £200 Rossa
    Buy medium quality balls in large quantities on line and prepare to lose plenty!

Master
    Many thanks, very helpful.

Craftsman
    Lessons for sure. I would get a starter set to see if she is actually going to enjoy golf, no point dropping a grand and she gets fed up after a couple of months. Expensive clubs are wasted on your average golfer, and I am one of them that has clubs that cost me about 2 grand.
    Fitting would be a waste of money just now as she has no swing and as long as she is average most clubs would do.
    There are loads of videos giving reviews of starter kits.

https://youtu.be/T2LhqJEt22I

Craftsman
    2nd hand Facebook market place or costco callaway starter set.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I’d also say lessons are key, especially when starting out. With beginners it’s best to seek group lessons, not only as it’s cheaper but I’m told the group bond that she’ll hopefully build means that she is more likely to go back and stick with it. Golf is the most frustrating sport in the world so some moral support will certainly help!
    Don’t get too bogged down in types of equipment at this stage. As long as the clubs she gets are roughly the right length (Ping/Mizuno have good fitting charts that you can find online for shaft length) don’t have extremely heavy stiff shafts and are cavity backed they’ll be fine to start with. I’d look for something on eBay pre owned. Even if you ended up with some irons that weren’t the right lie angle (again down to player height but also swing plane) your local pro will be able to check and adjust them for a small fee.
    Oh and the better you get, the more frustrating the game becomes! Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    I’d also say lessons are key, especially when starting out. With beginners it’s best to seek group lessons, not only as it’s cheaper but I’m told the group bond that she’ll hopefully build means that she is more likely to go back and stick with it. Golf is the most frustrating sport in the world so some moral support will certainly help!
    Don’t get too bogged down in types of equipment at this stage. As long as the clubs she gets are roughly the right length (Ping/Mizuno have good fitting charts that you can find online for shaft length) don’t have extremely heavy stiff shafts and are cavity backed they’ll be fine to start with. I’d look for something on eBay pre owned. Even if you ended up with some irons that weren’t the right lie angle (again down to player height but also swing plane) your local pro will be able to check and adjust them for a small fee.
    Oh and the better you get, the more frustrating the game becomes! Enjoy!
    Agree with all of this. It's surprising how far in advance you have to book for some teaching pros, so getting on a group lesson where you know you'll get a regular slot will maintain interest vs "My next slot is 7 weeks time at 7 AM on a Thursday"

Craftsman
    If you want to spend £1,000, then I would suggest £600 on lessons and max £400 on clubs. Second hand clubs are fine for learning, and if she really gets into it, then upgrade !

The Get Into Golf program at many golf clubs is a great intro to golf as well.

https://www.englandgolf.org/club-sup...to-golf-clubs/
    Last edited by 459GMB; 4th January 2022 at 01:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    If you want to spend £1,000, then I would suggest £600 on lessons and max £400 on clubs. Second hand clubs are fine for learning, and if she really gets into it, then upgrade !

The Get Into Golf program at many golf clubs is a great intro to golf as well.

https://www.englandgolf.org/club-sup...to-golf-clubs/
    Thank you. I’ve been trying to booked some basic sessions at a place in city of london but no replies so far. Maybe need to venture out of inner london at this rate.

I think the £600 route is looking good as this so approx cost of introduction sessions. With regard to spending the balance on clubs, I suspect it will be another £1000 no doubt with shoes. Hat, glove new handbag to match

Lessons aside, i would go for the Costco sets which include all you need except a trolley ,balls(lots).Great value and the new pride of ownership.

As has been suggested above, find a coach who you like and who you trust. Get fitted. Trying to learn this game watching u tube buying clubs off ebay will be a disaster. You can do that later once you'll learned the fundamentals. take your time and enjoy the best game there is! Good luck!!

Craftsman
    Thank you. I’ve been trying to booked some basic sessions at a place in city of london but no replies so far. Maybe need to venture out of inner london at this rate.

I think the £600 route is looking good as this so approx cost of introduction sessions. With regard to spending the balance on clubs, I suspect it will be another £1000 no doubt with shoes. Hat, glove new handbag to match
    Ha !

Yes that was certainly my experience when my wife took up golf. My credit card took a right hammering from the likes of Golfino and Galvin Green (ladies golf clothing), and we had a delivery of The Lady Golfer magazine every month for about two years. Most of them are still in the cellophane !

Craftsman
    See if any local clubs have an academy. My club takes total beginners & gives them individual coaching but mostly group lessons so they learn the game & make friends too, that way when they're ready to take to the course they have someone to play with.
    Academy membership is not a lot of money, the cost obviously increases if a player becomes a full member but if it turns out not to be the game for your missus you haven't wasted a couple of grand.
    Second hand clubs are the way to start, the club pro may have some.

Master

Golf - what starter clubs ?

Bit of an update in case anyone else is interested in an efficient way to spend a lot of money and get frustrated looking forward to any signs of improvement.

So I watched the YouTube videos and we’ve signed up for approx six lessons each before joining a few other students for an intro to the game on a course facilitated by the golf instructor.

I’ve been most interested in the dynamic of the distances achieved by the different club loft given the constants of half swing or full swing. Reminds me of my coffee machine that only allows me to change one variable ( the grind) when there are so many other variables at play.

Anyway, The technology is absolutely amazing for monitoring everything, calculation of height, distance and ball spin, etc.

It’s distracting when trying to develop a swing, but by degrees, Im hopeful the consistency will come, the problem space get smaller and adjustments improve the game.

Where Im curious about the club angles and how they are spaced and they equate to distances, my partner is interested in the outfits ( someone did warn me).

I think we have a booking on a course in April, I plan to play against humans in May, have a handicap by September !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 14th January 2022 at 11:05.

Nice to read an update on this. Welcome to the world of golf, where you'll be perpetually dissapointed spending money on a game where the whole aim is play the game as little as possible.

You don't need any more than a couple of lessons to get going.

Get your grip, stance and takeaway sorted and then hit balls. Then hit more balls. It is true for most people that mindlessly whacking ball at the range is pointless, but for a brand new beginner I think it's what's needed.

There's a lot to remember to get a swing "correct" but if you haven't got the muscle memory to hit the ball there's no point making tweaks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    You don't need any more than a couple of lessons to get going.

Get your grip, stance and takeaway sorted and then hit balls. Then hit more balls. It is true for most people that mindlessly whacking ball at the range is pointless, but for a brand new beginner I think it's what's needed.

There's a lot to remember to get a swing "correct" but if you haven't got the muscle memory to hit the ball there's no point making tweaks.
    I’m in central London so booking a driving range is a complete faff and need to give weeks of notice if I want a one hour slot.

Two lessons a week for three weeks with driving ranges afterwards seems to be the current plan. We then go to a two day golf academy for two days before being in company or other mortals on a course.

Driving ranges have their place but ghere is nothing like playing on a course….don’t be worried about what other golfers might think. There is the odd idiot but I find attitudes on golf courses are so much better than they used to be. Just remember to remain aware of golfers behind you and to wave them through if you are holding them up. Don’t feel rushed by any means but if you are slower it is much better to let them through rather than them stand impatiently watching you!

Master
    Some good advice above. I would offer a word of caution on buying 2nd hand clubs. I used to do this on the basis it presented a decent saving but since fitting services have greatly improved I now buy only new.

This is for two reasons. Firstly, it's important you get certain aspects of your 'fit' correct, such as club length, swing speed/shaft, grip size and lie; all these aspects can impact how easy it is to hit good shots. I pay a fair bit to play golf so saving a few hundred on clubs over a few years is a false economy. So I'd recommend a fitting, cost c£45, to at least try a few clubs and get a sense of what spec you need. In addition different makes/models feel more different than you would imagine.

Secondly, I'm taller than average so second hand sets in the make/model I want and in my spec are rarer and to make those adjustments isn't cheap, whereas it's often free to order from new.

The shaft is akin to the engine in a car so it's vital you get fitted to select something appropriate to your swing. The difference between a shaft that suits you and one that doesn't is more than a few shots a round

A middle ground option is to get professionally fitted, costs c£45, so you know your spec and can see what's available. Alternatively, go somewhere with a good second hand selection and get on the fitting system to compare performance.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    So, the golf has been going okay. I’m using A set of steel regular SIM2 4-SW.

I fancied a new set of clubs (taylormade 790 2021) no justification except I like the look of them, but Im surprised how badly I seem to hit the ball with them. I though I’d transition by buying the additional wedges (A and LW) and then the set of irons.

Questions:

for a complete newbie am I unlikely to realise the benefits of a distance club at the expense of the forgiveness?

Would you stay with a set all same brand and range or mix and match irons with different brand wedges ( ie. Taylormade Milled grind or Vokeys, etc?)

Thanks in advance and apologies to the non-players for the geeky questions !

Master

I fancied a new set of clubs (taylormade 790 2021) no justification except I like the look of them, but Im surprised how badly I seem to hit the ball with them. I though I’d transition by buying the additional wedges (A and LW) and then the set of irons.

Questions:

for a complete newbie am I unlikely to realise the benefits of a distance club at the expense of the forgiveness?

Would you stay with a set all same brand and range or mix and match irons with different brand wedges ( ie. Taylormade Milled grind or Vokeys, etc?)

Were you fitted for the new set? To be honest at the stage you’re at all that really matters is getting the basics correct with a set of clubs that suit your stance, frame and swing. Buying new clubs because “you like the look of them” is a fast track to the poor house and, if anything, will slow your progress.

I play off 6 with a set of second hand irons and woods which cost me £250. But that’s only because I know how my clubs need to be set up for my game. Get your basics right and you’ll be exactly the same.

Craftsman

Questions:

I was in a similar situation to you last year but quickly found that the Taylormade’s weren’t a very forgiving iron for a beginner and ended up getting measured for a set of Pings which are very forgiving.

I found it useful having a couple of lessons at my local golf club and combining this with borrowing their demo’s to see what worked for me.

I have a couple of Vokey wedges too and find these really nice to play with.

Master
    Play whatever clubs feel best.
    I have Callaway irons
    A ping g400 driver
    Cobra fairways and hybrids
    Ping glide wedges
    And an odyssey putter.

Its a really difficult process getting properly fitted for clubs.

I've played Pings for many years and have my fitted prescription that Ping give you. But the local dealerships are very limited as to shafts. I was once fitted in Portugal for a Driver by the Ping Tour truck, brought the prescription back to the UK only to be told, the shaft was only available if you get fitted at Loughborough their HQ.

Also if you change shape, weight, get fitter, get a faster or slower swing speed, you may well have to get refitted! I bought some fitted Ping Glide wedges a few years back, went for a loft and lie check earlier this year... the fitter told me they did not suit my swing anymore. I'd had back surgery last year and my swing arc has changed.

The same goes for putter fitting, there are very few players who have the same putter more than ten years, as your putting arc changes as you get older.
    I went for a fitting yesterday, my alignment is different now, so I'm going to practice a different technique. I love the game and will play it for as long as I can, but find the right equipment can be daunting sometimes. And bloody expensive!

As others have said mix and matching is often the best way. Have a look at Sub 70 on YouTube they are based in Hereford but offer an interesting fitting service. I use Lee Porter at Hylands golf centre for fitting and to help with choice he is renowned in the industry and will help you through some of the minefields out there.
    Happy Golfing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Were you fitted for the new set? To be honest at the stage you’re at all that really matters is getting the basics correct with a set of clubs that suit your stance, frame and swing. Buying new clubs because “you like the look of them” is a fast track to the poor house and, if anything, will slow your progress.

I play off 6 with a set of second hand irons and woods which cost me £250. But that’s only because I know how my clubs need to be set up for my game. Get your basics right and you’ll be exactly the same.
    I wasn’t fitted for the first set but am considering for the potential new ones. I think I’d like to try get something that improves my game now but is as future and development proof as I can be.

I guess I’m at the all the gear no idea point in the cycle!

I'm crap at golf but still persevere every week.
    I've tried loads of different sets and have settled on some cheap and cheerful Cobra fmax woods and some Titleist irons.
    I've changed my outlook with golf over the years, its not the clubs, it's the golfer.
    Gone are the days throwing money down the drain, may as well be crap with a cheap set instead of crap with an expensive set.

Yep I've found its not the clubs but the bloke on the end of them is the issue

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Yep I've found its not the clubs but the bloke on the end of them is the issue

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk
    I know you’re right, but some things I’ve done are clearly wrong and I need to change some bits of kit.

Maybe It’s newbie frustration plus pay day !

If you’re taking lessons I would ask your coach for advice.

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. Took up golf in January with an old set of Pings borrowed from my brother and lessons from an instructor After a few months my brother wanted his clubs back so had to buy a set. My coach looked on eBay and forwarded me a few links. He recommended I stay with Ping and so I bought a hardly used set of G15s for just under £200

Master
    I know you’re right, but some things I’ve done are clearly wrong and I need to change some bits of kit.

Maybe It’s newbie frustration plus pay day !
    Thanks. We had lessons to get started but need to play a few games to consolidate what we learnt so far. Had some good results with some clubs, but also a lot of inconsistent results.

Master
    Get a fitting so that you've at least some idea of the shaft spec that suits you, it's akin to choosing the engine in your motor car. If you try a few models of irons and you will realise how different they feel and the variety of dispersion patterns you'll see. Game improvement irons will help too all the way down to low single figures and beyond if you wish, be results driven although feel/look/sound are all factors. Wedge shafts are usually different anyway so play whatever you wish as feel and gapping are what's important.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 30th July 2022 at 07:56.

Had some good results with some clubs, but also a lot of inconsistent results.
    That's golf in a nutshell.

In my experience, unless the clubs are entire unsuitable blades or some such, then get used to them over a couple or more years. As long as the irons 3-9 (in my case 5-9) are a set, then the rest can be literally a mixed bag. Think I have 5 different brands/ranges if I include my putter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Get a fitting so that you've at least some idea of the shaft spec that suits you, it's akin to choosing the engine in your motor car. If you try a few models of irons and you will realise how different they feel and the variety of dispersion patterns you'll see. Game improvement irons will help too all the way down to low single figures and beyond if you wish, be results driven although feel/look/sound are all factors. Wedge shafts are usually different anyway so play whatever you wish as feel and gapping are what's important.
    I’m embarrassed to admit the level of detail I’ve gone to on gapping and analytics. I’m data obsessed so golf will keep me busy in retirement.

The mixed brand and type issue is most apparent with my approach wedge which is a Taylormade 790 as opposed to the others which are Sim2 irons. I get a completely different attack angle and the dispersion is greater than the PW or SW.

Data data data..