closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay returns question

Master

Ebay returns question

Hi

Bought a used MacBook on Ebay - first time in years that I've bought something of that value via eBay.

Anyway, its turned up and I'm not really happy with it. It was listed with a 'cosmetic ding' on the rear right of the lid and in reality you can feel where the material has bent. The lid also has some scratches on it and the base is full of scratches. Compared to my old 2012 MacBook this one looks very used.

I paid via Ebay as opposed to cash on collection etc and it was listed as no returns.

I know that Ebay offer a seller guarantee but never having used it, what is the likely outcome and what is the best way to proceed? Ideally I want to just return it and get a refund and look for another and maybe just buy a refurbed one instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

Bought a used MacBook on Ebay - first time in years that I've bought something of that value via eBay.

Anyway, its turned up and I'm not really happy with it. It was listed with a 'cosmetic ding' on the rear right of the lid and in reality you can feel where the material has bent. The lid also has some scratches on it and the base is full of scratches. Compared to my old 2012 MacBook this one looks very used.

I paid via Ebay as opposed to cash on collection etc and it was listed as no returns.

I know that Ebay offer a seller guarantee but never having used it, what is the likely outcome and what is the best way to proceed? Ideally I want to just return it and get a refund and look for another and maybe just buy a refurbed one instead.

Thanks
    Start a "Item not as described" case. If the seller doesn't respond to it with a satisfactory resolution in a few days Ebay will step in and ask you to return the item and will refund you when the tracking shows it has arrived back with the seller.

Craftsman
    Contact the seller and tell them the item is not described and would like to return. If they refuse you can then open a case with eBay. Ebay usually will side with the buyer and so I think you should be ok to get your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Start a "Item not as described" case. If the seller doesn't respond to it with a satisfactory resolution in a few days Ebay will step in and ask you to return the item and will refund you when the tracking shows it has arrived back with the seller.
    This.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always contact seller first. It is the courteous thing to do. Annoying when buyers on eBay treat you like Amazon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Always contact seller first. It is the courteous thing to do. Annoying when buyers on eBay treat you like Amazon.
    But still return via the proper eBay channels

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As stated eBay will step in if the seller ignores the return process or refuses to accept the return. It is also the sellers responsibility to pay for your return, eBay should issue you with a returns label and charge the seller.

eBay will usually request you provide photographs of the item as part of the return process particularly in cases where sellers do not accept returns.

It is advisable to contact the seller in the first instance as mentioned by other forum members.

Master
    Thanks all. I’ve sent the seller a note explaining why I’m not happy with the condition. Initially I was going to pick it up and if I had done then I wouldn’t have bought it.
    Will update when I hear.

Did the photos of the item not show the ding and scratches?

Regardless, you should have problems with the return but make sure you used a tracked method when returning.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    To be fair if the pics didn't show the scratches in multiple places and there's literally a bend in it that wasn't described, then I don't think the seller deserves very much courtesy. They're either incompetent or dishonest, IMO of course.

Master

Smile

No such thing as "buyer doesn't accept returns" these days. Loads of listings still have it on but realistically it's not enforceable... usually on listings for fake or knackered stuff. I've sold lots of broken jewellery, loose gemstones and "spares" watches this year with "AS SEEN - ABSOLUTELY NO RETURNS".

Guess what? Yup.

Business sellers have to accept returns (with a few exceptions). Private sellers don’t unless there’s a problem with the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Business sellers have to accept returns (with a few exceptions). Private sellers don’t unless there’s a problem with the item.
    Not too sure that applies to eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Not too sure that applies to eBay?
    It does. You can't just return a private sale just because you don't want it anymore, unless the seller offered returns on the listing.

However all someone has to say is 'not as described' and they'll get their money back every time, so if the buyer is willing to play loose with the truth it's game over for the seller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

However all someone has to say is 'not as described' and they'll get their money back every time, so if the buyer is willing to play loose with the truth it's game over for the seller.
    This… as a seller it’s best to just have a returns policy, that way most change of mind returns come back at buyers cost rather than the sellers.

I’m curious how old is this MacBook?

Master
    Hi all

Quick update.

The seller is willing to accept it back and give me a refund which is good.
    I started a return via EBay to keep it all above board and the seller has accepted the return via the system.
    They wanted me to return it via Special Delivery but as that isn’t an option they want to collect it and mark it as returned in front of me.
    Apparently EBay have the funds still anyway.
    Any risks in this approach?

I’m happy for them to collect it and inspect it there and then but just want to make sure it’s not going to cause me issues with getting the refund.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi all

Quick update.

The seller is willing to accept it back and give me a refund which is good.
    I started a return via EBay to keep it all above board and the seller has accepted the return via the system.
    They wanted me to return it via Special Delivery but as that isn’t an option they want to collect it and mark it as returned in front of me.
    Apparently EBay have the funds still anyway.
    Any risks in this approach?

I’m happy for them to collect it and inspect it there and then but just want to make sure it’s not going to cause me issues with getting the refund.

Cheers
    Just post it back via ebays returns service.
    You don't have to deal with the guy on your doorstep & I'd advise you not to.

There are some real idiots out there.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Ebay returns question

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just post it back via ebays returns service.
    You don't have to deal with the guy on your doorstep & I'd advise you not to.

There are some real idiots out there.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    I would concur, this is good advice, as long it’s insured by eBay in the event of a loss

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Ebay returns question

Return it via eBay return service, postage paid by whatever means they have provided you. You will be able to track it and I’ am sure any problems would be covered by eBay insurance. If you send it back by any other means you will become responsible for it.

Do not let the buyer collect it.
    Last edited by wjkerfoot; 2nd January 2022 at 19:42.

Exactly as above. Follow the eBay process and whatever return mechanism they're offering. Pretty much any 'in person' dealing is a no-no when it comes to eBay IMO.

The seller will have the option to issue a refund on his phone whilst stood in front of you.

If you watch him do that and see confirmation in your eBay account, there would be no issue with him collecting it from you.

Here is one of my recent sales showing how easy it is to issue a refund.

Craftsman
    FYI there is no ‘eBay returns service’

There is only eBay forcing the seller to provide a returns label regardless, assuming the MBP is a heavy bulky item in box with likely 20 pound postage each way the seller just wants to avoid losing the extra postage cost.

As for those claiming not to deal face to face on eBay, god knows what you think will happen. The seller already knows exactly where the buyer lives….

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    FYI there is no ‘eBay returns service’

There is only eBay forcing the seller to provide a returns label regardless, assuming the MBP is a heavy bulky item in box with likely 20 pound postage each way the seller just wants to avoid losing the extra postage cost.

As for those claiming not to deal face to face on eBay, god knows what you think will happen. The seller already knows exactly where the buyer lives….
    When you return through eBay, you are provided a tracked mailing label which is associated with the return. Whether you pay or the seller pays is down to the reason for the return. eBay send updates on the return when it is dispatched and received to both parties, along with a timeline for the refund. Call it what you want, eBay returns service seems fitting to me.

The reason to exercise caution dealing face to face on an eBay sale is that it’s rife with scamming. If the seller says it wasn’t returned and there is no record of the return, then eBay won’t care that you say you handed it over at the front door. The scam is common the other way where a buyer pays for the item then asks to collect in person. Someone turns up to collect then the ‘buyer’ turns up and asks where their item is. Best bet with eBay is to follow the process and minimise the risk, IMO.

Craftsman
    When you return through eBay, you are provided a tracked mailing label which is associated with the return. Whether you pay or the seller pays is down to the reason for the return. eBay send updates on the return when it is dispatched and received to both parties, along with a timeline for the refund. Call it what you want, eBay returns service seems fitting to me.

The reason to exercise caution dealing face to face on an eBay sale is that it’s rife with scamming. If the seller says it wasn’t returned and there is no record of the return, then eBay won’t care that you say you handed it over at the front door. The scam is common the other way where a buyer pays for the item then asks to collect in person. Someone turns up to collect then the ‘buyer’ turns up and asks where their item is. Best bet with eBay is to follow the process and minimise the risk, IMO.
    Dave already explained this risk was non-existent. Seller presses return on the phone in front of you. Job done. Cannot be reversed.

My point was who do you think pays for the return when sellers just claim not as described. eBay has sellers over a barrel.

I probably see this thread through a different lens. The buyer bought a used MacBook, probably multiple years old. The buyer expected it to be more of a minter, despite described as used/scratched so now wants a return and the seller to be out of pocket and you’re saying that the seller set out to sell a Mac, to accept a return, to then scam someone on their doorstep.

Come on…
    Last edited by Sean89; 3rd January 2022 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Dave already explained this risk was non-existent. Seller presses return on the phone in front of you. Job done. Cannot be reversed.

My point was who do you think pays for the return when sellers just claim not as described. eBay has sellers over a barrel.

I probably see this thread through a different lens. The buyer bought a used MacBook, probably multiple years old. The buyer expected it to be more of a minter, despite described as used/scratched so now wants a return and the seller to be out of pocket and you’re saying that the seller set out to sell a Mac, to accept a return, to then scam someone on their doorstep.

Come on…
    Nobody has said or implied that eBay pays for the return, so it's a moot point.

As a general rule, face-to-face dealing via eBay will get you burnt in the long run. Of course majority of folk are sound and for some items it makes much more sense than others, but generally it's a red flag if people want to meet F2F for an eBay sale. Presumably the seller didn't deliver it F2F originally, so what's changed? It's not just scams either, do you really want some guy on the doorstep debating the condition of the item with you?

As for the specifics of this case, neither of us know, so it's pointless to hypothesise about whether the buyer or seller is at fault. But taking the OP at face value, a bend in the laptop case that's not described would certainly merit a return, that's not cosmetic damage.

Nobody has said or implied that eBay pays for the return, so it's a moot point.

As a general rule, face-to-face dealing via eBay will get you burnt in the long run. Of course majority of folk are sound and for some items it makes much more sense than others, but generally it's a red flag if people want to meet F2F for an eBay sale. Presumably the seller didn't deliver it F2F originally, so what's changed? It's not just scams either, do you really want some guy on the doorstep debating the condition of the item with you?

As for the specifics of this case, neither of us know, so it's pointless to hypothesise about whether the buyer or seller is at fault. But taking the OP at face value, a bend in the laptop case that's not described would certainly merit a return, that's not cosmetic damage.
    EBay have made efforts to make face to face transactions more secure. In addition to my previous post, should the seller allow collection of an item, eBay provide a collection code to the buyer. Once the seller scans the code, eBay consider the item delivered in the same way as via tracked postage.

Master
    Thanks all for the advice and pointers. Seller provided a return label that they were happy with and it’s now on the way back.
    To answer one of the points - this machine was only 2 years old.
    I bought it in good faith but wasn’t prepared to keep it with the damage and scratches it had. If they had all been disclosed then yes fair enough but I don’t think they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    EBay have made efforts to make face to face transactions more secure. In addition to my previous post, should the seller allow collection of an item, eBay provide a collection code to the buyer. Once the seller scans the code, eBay consider the item delivered in the same way as via tracked postage.

Now that's a good innovation, nice to see that from eBay to help counteract the scammers.