Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Datejust

43 31.85%
  • Explorer

92 68.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide, please!

Unless you already have a drawer full of black-faced Rolex professional models, then the Explorer for me.

I don't doubt the Jubilee is comfortable, but its too bling for me

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    ... The fluted bezel and jubilee always remind of middle-aged lotharios in the ‘70s, replete with unbuttoned shirt and white shoes.
    That is exactly what I like about it - albeit it'd have to be yellow gold, and notwithstanding that I'm well past even that lamentable phase of my sordid existence - even then, I'd still prefer the Explorer...

Grand Master
    I owned a 16234 Datejust with Jubilee Bracelet/fluted bezel and a 114270 Exp 1 concurrently for 9 years as part of my collection. I sold both eventually and miss neither. The hands on the Datejust weren’t easy to see in certain light conditions and I never liked the way the cyclops distorts the minute hand. As for the Explorer, I got bored with it and decided it wasn’t interesting enough (versus the alternative of a few £k in my pocket) to keep.

The latest DJ is better regarding the hands and I do like the blue dialled version, so that would get my vote although I still don’t like the cyclops.

Depends what’s currently in your collection Tony. In’s & outs thread showed both tool & dressy pieces leaving.

Something about the Explorer doesn’t do it for me. Think lack of 12 numeral. But those that own it love it.

DJ I seem to be coming around more to. Very versatile as is the Explorer, for some reason would get my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I could imagine Arthur Daley pulling back the sleeve of his sheepskin to read the time from a fluted DJ.

It's strangely appealing.

Craftsman
    DJ for me here, much prefer the jubilee bracelet and feel it’s a more versatile watch and has the date

Master
    Blog Entries
    I voted Explorer purely because of the legibility - the DJ you’ve chosen looks like a watch I have and it is hard to read at a casual glance.

Craftsman
    Datejust for me. Have one on order.

Fluted bezel on a jubilee. But the dial would need to be black or blue.
    Also like the white dial from the previous version.

Explorer because:

1. It's a genuine classic
    2. Aesthetically more pleasing (to me)
    3. More contrast/easier to read
    4. I don't like fluted bezels or cyclops

Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer for me as it has black dial.

Jim

I have been having the same problem deciding between the two of these myself.

If you have a submariner (I think you do?) Then it has to be the datejust. 36mm fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, absolute classic. The explorer is nice but if you have one of their "sports" watch then the datejust is the obvious choice you can get the explorer another time.

Both are very nice. My answer would depend on how you plan to wear it. Are you pairing it while wearing shirt and suits? If so DateJust for me. Explorer looks more casual. And I love the way those numbers are lume filled silver. Good luck on your purchases either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Datejust for me. Have one on order.

Fluted bezel on a jubilee. But the dial would need to be black or blue.
    Also like the white dial from the previous version.
    Latest versions are better, but my 16234 was hard to read in some conditions with either white or black dials, I had both and swapped from one to the other.

Jubilee bracelet is one of the most comfortable I’ve owned, similar to the vintage Omega beads of rice I’m currently wearing in this respect.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both classics. I voted for the Explorer as that is the most legible with its classic dial/handset combo.

Plus it’s the one I have of the two. 😀

Master
    I would go DateJust. Only because the Explorer would feel too small for me. They are the same size but the fluted bezel made the DJ feel larger when I tired it in 36. Your wrist size may vary!

Explorer for me, all day long.

It's just gorgeous. The DJ is nice too, but the Explorer is the master of versatility. I own the previous version as it's genuinely the only watch I've owned that I've never even considered selling.

Explorer for you, Datejust for the wife...

Apprentice
    Two great options….personally I would go with the Explorer over the DateJust…main reason is that I think that the Explorer is more legible, and personally that is the most important factor for me when picking a watch. With the silver dial/hand combo, the DateJust, while stunning, isn’t instantly easy for me to tell the time. That may just be me though….but that is the way that I would go.

Good luck on your decision, either way, you are making a good choice!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking for the blue fluted, jubilee DJ 36 in 2019. The AD had the very same silver dial which looked stunning and I was tempted ,however I waited for the blue. The silver does wear slightly bigger compared with the blue.

If it's going to be kept for a while choose the one you like the most; if it's for profit, pick the one that will be easiest to sell.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Definitely the Explorer for me - but can you actually get hold of one new from an AD?

I am looking to buy an Explorer, and recently called quite a few Rolex dealers asking to get ‘on the list’ and they basically laughed at me. Admittedly I don’t have a long history of spending lots of money on new Rolexes over the years so perhaps it was silly of me to believe they would entertain my request.

Master
    The Explorer is the current ‘hot watch’, meaning next year it won’t be any more and your eye will start to wonder. Especially once you realise that they’ve cleverly made it slightly too small so it doesn’t upstage the DJ, which is priced above it. If they made an Explorer that was exactly the right size, it might just end up being their best watch and a timeless classic, however as things stand it’s the DJ36 that wins that title. Understated but still ‘nice’, a DJ works in any situation. I’m unlikely to part with my 16000 DJ for that reason.

The Datejust combo is a bit too dressy/busy for me nowadays so I would go with the Explorer.

Master
    Tony, am sure you have enough dressier watches from memory, would therefore be the Explorer for me.

My only concern is the bracelet size & taper, but not held the new one in my hands to see how large an issue it is. The DJ is too hard for me to read, but a classic, just not as classic IMHO.

NIce decision though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    If it's going to be kept for a while choose the one you like the most; if it's for profit, pick the one that will be easiest to sell.
    I feel like you may have misunderstood the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The Explorer is the current ‘hot watch’, meaning next year it won’t be any more and your eye will start to wonder.
    Uhm, what?

Craftsman
    I’m not really a Rolex man, but, between the two, Datejust. Timeless. Dress but not too flash.

I voted Explorer, but if it was the larger DJ, in almost any dial colour than silver or a grey, then I’d likely choose that instead.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Ive gone DJ as i love the dial and Jubilee bracelet.
    Explorer doesn't do a thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Definitely the Explorer for me - but can you actually get hold of one new from an AD?

I am looking to buy an Explorer, and recently called quite a few Rolex dealers asking to get ‘on the list’ and they basically laughed at me. Admittedly I don’t have a long history of spending lots of money on new Rolexes over the years so perhaps it was silly of me to believe they would entertain my request.
    Same here, I'd have to buy the Datejust and an Oyster Perpetual in an undesirable dial colour in order to be considered for the Explorer.

It's just the way it is.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKM; 30th December 2021 at 06:35.

hey Tony
    based on your SOTC you posted on new year’s day I would in this instance go with the DJ purely because in your SOTC you have the tool watches well covered and the DJ to me jumps out as something a bit more different yet still timeless.
    Both quality watches and both would sit perfectly in most collections. but for me for the above reasons i’d be going DJ this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The Explorer, I had the previous 36mm Exp 1 and the only thing I didn't like about it was the rather rattly bracelet which the new one solves. I have a 36mm DJ in a similar design to that but don't find it quite as versatile with what I wear regularly.

Explorer is my choice.

If you took an average pre-pandemic year and you owned both watches, which would you wear most often (eg work, birthdays, weddings, night out etc).

I am quite conservative and the Explorer fits in well. The Datejust in the configuration shown I would have but feel I would wear it when dressed up only. I am usually wearing jeans and a hoody (due to WFH) and a Datejust will in comparison stand out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Uhm, what?
    Really, you haven’t noticed? Explorer goes back to 36 (or a bit less), the crowd goes wild, pictures of it are everywhere, everyone wants one, no one can get one. It’s hot at the moment. A good watch will still be a good watch a year later, but that new release excitement wears off as soon as the next new hot watch is released.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I've obviously noted the number of times dial readability has been mentioned in respect of the DJ. Accordingly I've had another think regarding configuration and have to say that I'm rather keen on this one... not sure if it doesn't change the whole nature of the watch a little too much, though.

Thought? Anyone inclined to change their vote from Explorer to DJ as a consequence?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th December 2021 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Really, you haven’t noticed? Explorer goes back to 36 (or a bit less), the crowd goes wild, pictures of it are everywhere, everyone wants one, no one can get one. It’s hot at the moment. A good watch will still be a good watch a year later, but that new release excitement wears off as soon as the next new hot watch is released.
    Yes but the Explorer has endured as a staple design in the Rolex catalogue for decades..? Of course a new watch will be advertised, not sure what that has to do with the decision the OP is making.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I've obviously noted the number of times dial readability has been mentioned in respect of the DJ. Accordingly I've had another think regarding configuration and have to say that I'm rather keen on this one...

Thought? Anyone inclined to change their vote from Explorer to DJ as a consequence?
    Nicer config for sure, but doesn't change my vote.

Craftsman
    I’m really not a fan of the DJ bezel so the latter for me.

Explorer. Not a fan of fluted bezels.

Craftsman
    Datejust. Especially with that blue dial which is lovely.

Everybody and their dog has copied the Explorer so the look is very common.
    The Datejust, whilst unmistakable, is classic and wears just as well with scruffs or suit.

Master
    You can climb a mountain with an Explorer and end up at a cocktail party when you get back down.
    No brainer for me.

Master
    Explorer. A timeless design. Always looks modern. The Datejust looks an antiquated old mans watch. Personal opinions, of course.

Datejust

Datejust for me.

DJ especially in the blue. Explorer just a rich man's Smith's......

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    You can climb a mountain with an Explorer and end up at a cocktail party when you get back down.
    No brainer for me.
    Good answer. That is my thinking as well.

But if normal activity is shuffling papers at a desk then the DJ is perhaps a better choice.

Out of those two I’d have the Explorer for the reasons stated by OldHooky.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    No brainer for me.
    Just make sure its the right date when you climb that mountain!!

DateJust. Fluted, Jubilee but with the blue baton dial. That’s the combo on my wish list.

DateJust is a winner in that config but I think availability is going to be incredibly hard. That and the green leaf will be nightmares to get.

With the blue config DJ for me but not by a lot and because my collection is tool/diver heavy

Journeyman
    DJ for me but I don’t think you can go wrong with either. The DJ is more formal but can still look great with T shirt and jeans so does give that flexibility. I’d also miss the date function if I wore an explorer as a daily.