135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Datejust

43 31.85%
  • Explorer

92 68.15%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide, please!

Master
    It's your watch not mind, but I dislike the fluted bezel and I dislike the jubilee bracelet. I like the simplicity of the explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Good answer. That is my thinking as well.

But if normal activity is shuffling papers at a desk then the DJ is perhaps a better choice.
    I’m struggling to think what advantage or extra feature an explorer would give over a DJ if you were climbing a mountain. I got to the summit of the Old Man of Coniston wearing a gold day date in June. It told me what time it was all the way up and down.
    Last edited by Russ; 30th December 2021 at 00:09.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Explorer just a rich man's Smith's......

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    +1.....every time I handle a PRS25 that goes through my mind!

Tony, I'm not clear as to what the true purpose of the poll is. Only you can make the decision on which you prefer given your personal preferences, likes, dislikes etc. Personally, neither are for me so I haven't voted but are you really going to make the decision based on a poll rather than your own decision? You've owned and moved on so many stunning watches over the years go with what you feel will be a keeper........though that hasn't been the best barometer in the past. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Tony, I'm not clear as to what the true purpose of the poll is. Only you can make the decision on which you prefer given your personal preferences, likes, dislikes etc. Personally, neither are for me so I haven't voted but are you really going to make the decision based on a poll rather than your own decision? You've owned and moved on so many stunning watches over the years go with what you feel will be a keeper........though that hasn't been the best barometer in the past. Whatever you decide, enjoy!
    Of course you’re right but I’m genuinely in a bit of a quandary, and the opinions being expressed are all helping me focus my thoughts a bit & understand what’s important to me. I’m really planning for what I want to spend my retirement with, and one of these two watches will definitely be in the mix with the intention of keeping it until I no longer need to worry about such things. My 5513, VC Day-Date and Chronomaster Sport will be three of the four others, and my current TT Sub and BLNR will hopefully have morphed into a BLRO for the final spot (at least, that's the plan).

That’s why it’s important that I get this decision right.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th December 2021 at 08:54.

Craftsman
    That blue datejust configuration is stunning! Maes the DJ a little more casual than the first one you posted too. Datejust all day in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Help me decide, please!

I don’t see any legibility issues with Datejust
    Last edited by ac11111; 30th December 2021 at 02:28.

With my collection I'd choose the DJ.

With your collection (and the watches you've mentioned as your retirement keepers) then the DJ.

Between the original choice of silver dial or the revised blue dial I'd go blue for both of the above, it just has a classier aesthetic with the silver dial appearing a touch plain in comparison. The blue also pulls off that tricky balance between dressy and casual more so than the silver as well, the silver is erring towards dressy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I’m struggling to think what advantage or extra feature an explorer would give over a DJ if you were climbing a mountain. I got to the summit of the Old Man of Coniston wearing a gold day date in June. It told me what time it was all the way up and down.
    There isn’t. It’s just my sense of humour. I happily wear any of mine when mountain walking.😀

Craftsman
    I'd go for the Explorer. I love the clean design and the fact it can go under the radar. The Datejust is just a bit too 'blingy' for my taste. I wanted to buy the 39mm version before it was discontinued and used prices went through the roof. That's life I guess!

I think I can help.

If you're going to be climbing mountains, choose the Explorer.

If you're going to be throwing some disco shapes on the dance floor, choose the DJ.

Get one of these, save a packet, posted in the spirit of Walters' smiths/ explorer comment, ADDED bonus tells you the day as well as the date, good for old folks to know.

https://wrwatches.com/collections/ir...39644437807213

Their vintage OP in white is a delight, wears very slim, has a miyota movement and useful WR, costs less than a Smiths even...Loving the goldie looking hands and indices in the sunshine. Took mine for a run down a rambla and a swim on Boxing Day, no probs, I'll likely wear it throwing some shapes tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th December 2021 at 12:14.

Help me decide, please!

Removed
    Last edited by DigitalSeb; 30th December 2021 at 12:19.

Help me decide, please!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I've obviously noted the number of times dial readability has been mentioned in respect of the DJ. Accordingly I've had another think regarding configuration and have to say that I'm rather keen on this one... not sure if it doesn't change the whole nature of the watch a little too much, though.

Thought? Anyone inclined to change their vote from Explorer to DJ as a consequence?
    I saw this a while back and decided to with the previous version - this one:

Last edited by DigitalSeb; 30th December 2021 at 12:19.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    DJ, does both casual and formal with ease and you've already got other professional/sports type watches.

I know its heresy but imo the explorer is an OP with 3 numerals on the dial.

Explorer because I don't like fluted bezels

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

+1, that's one reason why I got rid of my 114270!

I replaced it with a second-hand 16000 with the blue explorer-style dial, after 9 years with the Explorer I preferred the blue-dialled OP although I ended up selling it to focus completely on vintage Omega stuff.

The current blue-dialled OP 36 has the slimmer lugs but the blue Explorer-style dial isn`t available (stick-dial has replaced it). I think that would be on my shopping list instead of the DJ. Use the money saved to buy one of Eddies PRS 25s and scratch the Explorer itch at the same time.......sorted!

I’m inclined to say none of the above:

The Explorer doesn’t have a date and is a bit too small with the new bracelet.

The sporty blue dial is out of place in the dressy fluted and jubilee config - you need domed and oyster with the blue stick dial.

The silver stick is too monochromatic and quite feminine - and I say that as a former owner. I had a 116234 and the new 126234 wears a lot smaller. I found mine too fancy for everyday but not really special enough for special occasions.

If you have to have one I’d say DJ but in one of these versions:

Fluted jubilee and black stick dial, or;

Domed oyster blue stick, or;

TT fluted jubilee champagne stick dial.

I do think these new 36mm versions all wear a bit too small compared to the last iterations though.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    DJ, does both casual and formal with ease and you've already got other professional/sports type watches.

Not at all, I was actually looking to get an OP blue dial as I thought the blue looked nicer than the black. Sadly I think it’s now discontinued and replaced with something ugly as is the tradition with watch companies.

DJ for me.

Classic looks and a myriad of different colour dials to choose from

I've never liked those gigantic arabics on the Explorer.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm not really a Rolex man but if I had to.......the Explorer, it looks like it could be worn on any occasion & doesn't have to try too hard.

Good luck with your purchase & don't forget to update this thread once you have dealt.

Journeyman
    I owed the Rolex Datejust 116234 silver dial which then got traded for the Rolex Datejust 126234 blue dial.

When the Explorer got announced I put my name down, got the call and owned both for a little while. Ultimately I decided that at this current moment in time I couldn’t justify keeping both.

Both are very different and here is my opinion:

The Datejust feels special, when it catches the light it is mesmerising but can sometimes feel a little flashy. Never had an issue reading the time and was nice to have a date. Dressed up with a suit it looks incredible but also happy with jeans and a T-shirt.

The Explorer is the complete opposite and just flies under the radar and is super legible. It feels at home if walking the dog in walking gear but happy to be worn with a suit.

I ended up keeping the Explorer, to me it just felt like I could wear it anywhere and no one would notice what I was wearing which is nice as well as being super legible.

I will add that I would like to add the Datejust again or a Day Date, I think it’s the ultimate combination of a casual and dressy two watch collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve tried the blue and grey dial DJ and love them both. I would go for the grey if pushed as it’s a bit different and I’m not a blue person.
    The Explorer would be a no from me due to the scratch magnet bezel

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post

The Explorer would be a no from me due to the scratch magnet bezel
    The smooth Explorer bezel is easy to refinish, even significantly deep marks can be polished out and if done properly and no-one would ever know it's been done.

Contrast this with the white gold fluted bezel, the peaks get knocked and marked, eventually losing their sharpness. I`m not sure whether Rolex SC have a means to refinish these, polishing merely softens the peaks further and that's not a good look.

Fortunately the edge of the glass tends to make contact with objects rather than the bezel, that's why so many examples end up with chips around the edge of the crystal!

The blue dial DJ would be my choice,do they do them in adult size .

If it is a 'rest of life' watch - buy something a lot cheaper, otherwise someone working at the carehome will nick it.

(Did you go with the poll for your "which watch should I wear for my wedding?")

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If it is a 'rest of life' watch - buy something a lot cheaper, otherwise someone working at the carehome will nick it.

(Did you go with the poll for your "which watch should I wear for my wedding?")
    LOL. Which wedding?

LOL. Which wedding?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t-Wedding-Poll

Yes, I realised which wedding you meant

And, errr, no. I wore a GS in the end.

Yes, I realised which wedding you meant

And, errr, no. I wore a GS in the end.

I wondered - thought you might have a craving for wedding cake every few years

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I wondered - thought you might have a craving for wedding cake every few years
    Well, a change is as good as a rest, or so they say

Grand Master
    OK Tony, I`ve sorted it for you!

Forget both watches, buy a blue-dialled OP36 for £4450 and use the spare change to buy a PRS 25 from Eddie.

The OP36 retains the brushed lug tops that (for me) always looks better on a Rolex. The bracelet's been upgraded to include the easylink, that's important IMO because I ended up sourcing a half-link from a 116610 to make my 116000 fit properly. forget all the crap about being able to alter the bracelet on a warm day etc, this change improves the adjustability of the bracelet and allows everyone to get a correct fit. Personally I prefer the old 3-6-9 blue dial that's been discontinued but I could easily live with the current blue offering.

Rolex are overpriced trinkets thesedays but I think the reversion to the slimmer lugs for the 36mm models was a really good move, the maxi-cases never sat well with me even though I`ve owned 2 over the years.

Never say never, even though I`ve vowed to never buy another Rolex watch I like the 126000 with dark blue dial, but I`d like it a whole lot more at half the price. Paying for one isn`t the issue, that's simply shifting money from one investment class to another because the residual value will be rock-solid, it's the aspect of having £4.5k strapped to my wrist that doesn`t work for me and my lifestyle. Maybe I`m wrong but that's how I see it, maybe I`ll change that view.

Lovely blue dial....latest movement......great bracelet.....traditional Rolex brushed lugs.......no cyclops........what's not to like!

Under budget too!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OK Tony, I`ve sorted it for you!

Forget both watches, buy a blue-dialled OP36 for £4450 and use the spare change to buy a PRS 25 from Eddie.

The OP36 retains the brushed lug tops that (for me) always looks better on a Rolex. The bracelet's been upgraded to include the easylink, that's important IMO because I ended up sourcing a half-link from a 116610 to make my 116000 fit properly. forget all the crap about being able to alter the bracelet on a warm day etc, this change improves the adjustability of the bracelet and allows everyone to get a correct fit. Personally I prefer the old 3-6-9 blue dial that's been discontinued but I could easily live with the current blue offering.

Rolex are overpriced trinkets thesedays but I think the reversion to the slimmer lugs for the 36mm models was a really good move, the maxi-cases never sat well with me even though I`ve owned 2 over the years.

Never say never, even though I`ve vowed to never buy another Rolex watch I like the 126000 with dark blue dial, but I`d like it a whole lot more at half the price. Paying for one isn`t the issue, that's simply shifting money from one investment class to another because the residual value will be rock-solid, it's the aspect of having £4.5k strapped to my wrist that doesn`t work for me and my lifestyle. Maybe I`m wrong but that's how I see it, maybe I`ll change that view.

Lovely blue dial....latest movement......great bracelet.....traditional Rolex brushed lugs.......no cyclops........what's not to like!

Under budget too!
    That's actually not such a bad shout, Paul, and certainly worth some thought (that said, I really do like the fluted bezel on the DJ). I wonder how easy it would be to get hold of one.

I've changed my mind.

DJ all the way. It's less austere.

*thinks*

Hang on, let me have another glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I've changed my mind.

DJ all the way. It's less austere.

*thinks*

Hang on, let me have another glass of wine.
    Well, you are the right demographic

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I've obviously noted the number of times dial readability has been mentioned in respect of the DJ. Accordingly I've had another think regarding configuration and have to say that I'm rather keen on this one... not sure if it doesn't change the whole nature of the watch a little too much, though.

Thought? Anyone inclined to change their vote from Explorer to DJ as a consequence?
    Not for me Tony.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Would this be in addition to the Pepsi? Or is that your third option?

Well, you are the right demographic

No date always wins for me.

I've got that 2021 model but with a plain bezel and on an oyster bracelet. The dial is absolutely amazing and definitively the star of the show!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer every day and its the right size too. However, if the Date-Just had a black dial I would have to think again. Both are great watches with the new series of movements. It all depends on what you want or need in your collection (sports profession or dressy casual)?

Enjoy!

Master
    I have a both a blue dialled (Roman numerals), and a silver dialled (tapestry) DJ all be it the five digit versions. It took me a long time to fall in love with the Datejust, I tried kept trying them on in many different guises over the course of about 6 years before I took the plunge, but they really are a perfect day to day all rounder as far as I’m concerned. Personally I can’t deal with a day to day watch which doesn’t have a date function so my vote would be for the Datejust over the explorer.

Hey OP, where did you net ou with the DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Hey OP, where did you net ou with the DJ?

U wot m8?

U wot m8?
    Oh yea I was curious to know where you netted out with all the feedback? Was a good old thread with some cool POVs :)

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Oh yea I was curious to know where you netted out with all the feedback? Was a good old thread with some cool POVs :)

Ah, got you. Yes, I've decided to go for a DJ with one or other of the blue dials. Just making some enquiries via ADs at the moment whilst pondering Jamie's on SC.

Ah, got you. Yes, I've decided to go for a DJ with one or other of the blue dials. Just making some enquiries via ADs at the moment whilst pondering Jamie's on SC.
    Nice one mate - I’m actually debating either 36/41 as I’ve gotten used to the new Sub and Pepsi!

I did see Jamie’s one on SC, I’ve always loved the casino dial. Too many choices!!

Doesn’t look like a poll put up by someone looking for an exit watch:-)
    I voted but would have preferred to have option of neither as 36 is too small IMO.
    A 39mm pre loved Explorer would be perfect.

OS- read through the thread and now understand the question a bit better. Still my choice remains unchanged.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 1st January 2022 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Doesn’t look like a poll put up by someone looking for an exit watch:-)
    I voted but would have preferred to have option of neither as 36 is too small IMO.
    A 39mm pre loved Explorer would be perfect.

OS- read through the thread and now understand the question a bit better. Still my choice remains unchanged.
    If you read it, Raj, you’ll know that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of your wrist ;)

Explorer. Very utilitarian! Only if you can live without a date though.