closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex for my father's 50th

Journeyman

Rolex for my father's 50th

Hi all,

looking for any advice that people are willing to share. My father has been a massive support to me all my life and I want to gift him his first high end watch for his 50th as its the least that he deserves.

I'm london based and would really appreciate any advice on how, and maybe which, ADs to approach, given I've never bought a Rolex before (currently have a couple of Omegas and a JLC).

I've narrowed it down to a GMT or a Milgauss and an aware of the waiting lists. Is there any realistic chance for me to get on these lists, and potentially get allotted a piece in a few weeks/ months?

thanks very much

Master
    Blog Entries
    A few weeks/months. In London AD's, with zero purchase history. I would say zero on the GMT and little on a Milgaus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    Hi all,

looking for any advice that people are willing to share. My father has been a massive support to me all my life and I want to gift him his first high end watch for his 50th as its the least that he deserves.

I'm london based and would really appreciate any advice on how, and maybe which, ADs to approach, given I've never bought a Rolex before (currently have a couple of Omegas and a JLC).

I've narrowed it down to a GMT or a Milgauss and an aware of the waiting lists. Is there any realistic chance for me to get on these lists, and potentially get allotted a piece in a few weeks/ months?

thanks very much
    No chance.
    You would need to go grey and pay over the odds.
    However if it's the least he deserves dig deep.

More chance of meeting Angelina Jolie for a quick session on Tinder. There is no such thing as a waitlist, it’s a registration of interest these days. Your phone will never ring.

£10k will get you a brand new unworn Milguass, roughly £15k for a GMT, add another £2-3k if you want a Pepsi. Watches of Whitby have some good stock in.

Dig deep indeed. All being well it’ll only come back to you one day anyway. Be prepared to get annoyed though, got my father in law a Sub a few years back and he’s worn it less than five times. Really frustrating.

Craftsman
    As the others have noted, next to no chance of getting a one of your chosen Rolex’s from an AD at rrp.

If you are set on a Rolex you will have to look at the second hand market and if i was in your position, I would only consider reputable recognised dealers.

Master
    The best bet is to take your father out for the day and let him chose the watch he wants. Half the people in this forum won't touch Rolex with a barge pole, so it's all very risky choosing a watch for someone else.

Also treat him to a decent lunch to make a day of it.

Wile...ey and MickP make a good point.

Does your father WANT a Rolex?

He might not like the style, the brand or the idea of wearing such an expensive watch.

I presume it's a significant expense to you (if not, go mad on the grey market), so I'd want to be sure it won't just be a bit of a burden to him.

Of course, if you already know he'll love it, it'll be a lovely gift.

When I was 50 my kids were still in education and in no position to buy me a Rolex or even a Seiko! (Although if they had, I'd find it a burden).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    These threads tend to come up quite frequently but, in any case, a few thoughts:

1. Has your father himself expressed a specific interest in a sports Rolex? If not, you could save yourself a lot of pain by looking elsewhere.
    2. Whether you were able to get one of the models you mentioned at rrp or not, would your father be happy walking around with something worth 10-15 grand on his wrist?
    3. Your father's a touch younger than me. Without knowing how financially comfortable you are, if it were one of my children, I wouldn't want them to spend GBP10k+ on me, as much as I might appreciate how generous such a gesture was. I'd rather they used it to further their own ambitions. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with something well considered in the sub 2k range.
    4. Is the idea partially to have a future heirloom where the value is retained? In which case you're taking quite a punt on where the market will be in, hopefully, 40+ years.

Anyway, if a Rolex it must be, then best of luck with the search!

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for your help - greatly appreciated.

My dad has really liked these pieces when I've showed them to him so I'm sure he'd appreciate the gift. I was planning to make a day out of it and have him try on a few and chat to the SA's about his preferences.

I'm in a very fortunate position at this stage in my life where I can afford to gift him something of this nature. I'd rather avoid going 2nd hand or grey market partially out of principle, but also because of the madness in the market (I'm dreaming , i know).

I'm not too bothered about whether it would come to me later on, so I'm not considering it as a personal investment.

I guess a follow on question to some of you would be: where would be best to search for either the Milgauss or GMT at an AD if not in London (anywhere in UK/Western Europe)? And what timeline should I bear in mind given no purchase history? (I'm a bit stubborn so can be patient)

Again, many thanks for all your replies - they are very helpful.

I don’t think you’ve understood the answers in this thread.

Unless you also want to buy a Hublot, full gold Omega, or an open worked Cartier you won’t be getting anything. Least of all in London.

You can just say you’re stubborn and happy to wait. There is no waitlist. It doesn’t work like that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don’t think you’ve understood the answers in this thread.

Unless you also want to buy a Hublot, full gold Omega, or an open worked Cartier you won’t be getting anything. Least of all in London.

You can just say you’re stubborn and happy to wait. There is no waitlist. It doesn’t work like that.
    Thanks. I knew it was tough, but didn't realise it was pretty much impossible.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A Milgauss is about 6.5k but sells unworn for 10. A GMT is about 7.5k and sells for 14-18k.

If all you had to do was be stubborn and wait they wouldn’t sell for these prices. People don’t give away thousands just because you’re willing to sit on a special list for a while.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    A few weeks/months. In London AD's, with zero purchase history. I would say zero on the GMT and little on a Milgaus.
    I waited 3 months for my Milgauss Z Blue & 3 years for my GMT Pepsi from my non-London AD…oh & 2 weeks for my James Cameron, & 6 weeks for my Pelagos FXD. I’ve also not had to buy anything that I didn’t want. No doubt it’s a different matter in a London AD.

Craftsman
    Warning on the milgauss, if your dad has never tried one on then don't just buy it.

It is a heavier piece and top heavy.

Great watch but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Rolex for my father's 50th

Hi OP,

I agree a day out with your father to look at different models will be both enjoyable and useful. Look at Wempe, Selfridges, WoS etc and he can pick something out of the models that are actually available to buy. This would let you not go grey and actually give him a present in real time.

I am a little biased towards GP at the moment as just bought one. But Wempe currently have a nice selection of Laureatos if you dad wants an integrated bracket sports watch!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Last edited by Ctam; 30th December 2021 at 11:30.

Master

My dad has really liked these pieces when I've showed them to him so I'm sure he'd appreciate the gift. I was planning to make a day out of it and have him try on a few and chat to the SA's about his preferences.

I guess a follow on question to some of you would be: where would be best to search for either the Milgauss or GMT at an AD if not in London (anywhere in UK/Western Europe)? And what timeline should I bear in mind given no purchase history? .

Probably best trying some of these dealerships up north mate.
    The pits and foundries ain't paying what they once were and Daytona's can lie in widows for months.

No chance at all in London - I’ve been waiting two years for a GMT from an AD - and have bought 4 omegas in that time and still no hope of seeing one at RRP for years to come… Don’t even bother…

Just go grey (like I have)…

- - - Updated - - -

Just go grey (like I have)…

Just go different brand,then you can have a day out and try some on .
    And actually get treated like a human who wants to spend his money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Probably best trying some of these dealerships up north mate.
    In case the OP doesn’t recognise your tongue in cheek comment, ADs in the c**p part of the north I inhabit are exactly the same as those in London. No chance unless you really have some serious history with them.

Master
    Talk to your Dad. If he is anything like my Dad (bless him), he will have his own ideas on how you should spend serious money. We old folks may admire lots of "stuff" but wouldn't want it for a variety of reasons. All the "good stuff" that I bought for my dad came back to me when he passed and most of it was still in the wrapping that it was given in! He treasured the memories of family holidays. Now, there is a thought!

I imagine your dad would be just as thrilled with an Omega. I was thrilled with the jumper my sons bought me for my 50th.

If you really wish to play the Rolex game then explain the situation with puppy-dog eyes at the AD nearest to your home.
    And consider a Datejust.
    Or his 60th birthday.

All I know is, this thread is making me feel terribly old....

'I'm at the stage of my life now where I can treat the old man'

Eeeesh. Shouldn't you be about 12?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The best bet is to take your father out for the day and let him chose the watch he wants. Half the people in this forum won't touch Rolex with a barge pole, so it's all very risky choosing a watch for someone else.

Also treat him to a decent lunch to make a day of it.
    This is very good advice…. I’d echo this.

Yes, not going to happen no matter where you travel to.

If you won’t go grey market, take him to Omega.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your options are the grey market or show your dad a Blancpain 50 fathoms.

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the replies, will take him on a day out and show him a few options.

Undoubtedly he'll be happy with almost anything as he's not fussy, and if it's not a watch, there are many options (like the aforementoned family holiday)

Thanks again and happy new year to everyone!

Craftsman
    Blancpain 50 fathoms on a steel bracelet equal in every way to a Rolex , except resale value . They are available with a discount and then overtime hold their value . If your dad likes the Rolex I’d be surprised if he didn’t enjoy the Blancpain . Having said that , two of my sons are taking me to the next United game in Madrid .. that’s a pretty good present ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    two of my sons are taking me to the next United game in Madrid .. that’s a pretty good present ..
    Had no idea that you’re Spanish! 😜

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Your options are the grey market or show your dad a Blancpain 50 fathoms.
    This is a great idea. The FF is a cut above the Rolex in quality and finish imho, I would he surprised if he isn't delighted with it.
    As an aside my eldest bought me squat for my fiftieth. She was only 17 months old at the time tho......

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    This is a great idea. The FF is a cut above the Rolex in quality and finish imho, I would he surprised if he isn't delighted with it.
    As an aside my eldest bought me squat for my fiftieth. She was only 17 months old at the time tho......

Procreation is a young mans game.
    Some bromide in your tea is in order.

Craftsman
    For my father's last milestone birthday, I got him a 30 minute Spitfire flight via the Boultbee Academy at Goodwood.

Always worth considering an unforgetable experience instead of a material possession that might make him a target for thieves !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Procreation is a young mans game.
    Some bromide in your tea is in order.
    NOW you tell me......

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    This is very good advice…. I’d echo this.
    Also Echo Micks advice.......... or save the aggro and buy a nice Omega whenever you want

Blog Entries

I'm in a very fortunate position at this stage in my life where I can afford to gift him something of this nature. I'd rather avoid going 2nd hand or grey market partially out of principle, but also because of the madness in the market (I'm dreaming , i know).

I'm not too bothered about whether it would come to me later on, so I'm not considering it as a personal investment.

I guess a follow on question to some of you would be: where would be best to search for either the Milgauss or GMT at an AD if not in London (anywhere in UK/Western Europe)? And what timeline should I bear in mind given no purchase history? (I'm a bit stubborn so can be patient)

Again, many thanks for all your replies - they are very helpful.
    You could have a great afternoon looking down New/Old Bond Street - multiple ADs Rolex / Omega / Breitling / Patek / AP etc walk down from Oxford St to the Strand. Maybe your Dad will spot something that he wants - it maybe above 10K though?

good luck. M

NB Europe is the same as UK as regards steel Rolex (as far as I know in PT). If you want a steel Rolex from a “reputable “ dealer try Watchfinder (and you can check and chat online with them).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Warning on the milgauss, if your dad has never tried one on then don't just buy it.

It is a heavier piece and top heavy.
    ??? In all my years I've never considered or even thought to consider the balance of a watch before. It's a chunk of metal strapped to the top of my wrist.

Forget the rolex, just go to a few decent AD's and look at some Omegas, Zeniths JLC etc, that he can pick up and take home the same day.

How's your dad's eyesight? Buy him a Casioak and tell him it's an AP, then treat him to a couple of grammes of coke and a hooker.

That's what I'd want from my son.

Craftsman
    Although I would agree that the probability of you getting the two models you discussed is pretty low, it’s not impossible. I have found that it’s not always about spend but often about the rapport you build with your AD. If you manage to strike up a sincere conversation / convey the significance of getting something for your dad then you may find you get lucky. You’ll have to persevere with this as it’s not easy to build the relationship. People who work in Rolex boutiques are people at the end of the day and if someone senior thinks you’re a decent guy and believes the watch is going to a good home counts for something. Despite all the naysayers I’ve managed to get several coveted sports models in the last 18 months from two different ADs. I’ve not waited long for any of them and I had no previous sales history. I believe the current Milgauss is on its way out, so this may be a challenge to find. I reckon the steel Yachtmaster is a good shout to start with, noting it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I recently bought one and had to wait a month for mine (blue dial). My AD is well aware that I’m on TZ and has asked that I don’t divulge who they are.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    ??? In all my years I've never considered or even thought to consider the balance of a watch before. It's a chunk of metal strapped to the top of my wrist.
    Neither had I and then I bought a Tudor GMT which just wouldn’t sit right regardless of how I sized it. It was either too tight or too loose and felt really top heavy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I've heard that nonsense parroted a few times about Patek's.
    "the watch felt lovely and balanced"
    You Wot ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Neither had I and then I bought a Tudor GMT which just wouldn’t sit right regardless of how I sized it. It was either too tight or too loose and felt really top heavy.

I totally agree. I bought the new Air King on release and returned it the next day - the slab Milgauss case just didn't sit right on my wrist. Whereas I have no issues with my new SD, modern Subs and even 50 Fathoms. So, unbalanced is definitely a thing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I totally agree. I bought the new Air King on release and returned it the next day - the slab Milgauss case just didn't sit right on my wrist. Whereas I have no issues with my new SD, modern Subs and even 50 Fathoms. So, unbalanced is definitely a thing.
    Strange isn’t it! I loved everything about the Tudor gmt aesthetically and movement wise but it just didn’t sit right for me. I’m sure it fits lots of people perfectly.

Craftsman
    I would imagine ADs in London are inundated with people who's fathers are about to hit a milestone birthday and have always dreamed of owning a GMT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I would imagine ADs in London are inundated with people who's fathers are about to hit a milestone birthday and have always dreamed of owning a GMT.
    Yip
    That old chestnut along with other tales to tug at the heart strings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    My dad dreams of a milgauss z blue or even just an air king

'My wife just gave birth to a boy, miracle baby, we never thought we'd have a child. And then tragically she died in childbirth. Can I get a Sub to commemorate?'

An AD told me someone actually said this to her!

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the tips. Took him around a few places and settled on a SMP 300. It was a good day out overall, tried on a bunch from Rolex, IWC, Tudor, Zenith and eventually enjoyed the Omega the most.

Cheers for all the insights!

Blog Entries
    ^^^ How nice. :-)

Master
    Thanks all for the tips. Took him around a few places and settled on a SMP 300. It was a good day out overall, tried on a bunch from Rolex, IWC, Tudor, Zenith and eventually enjoyed the Omega the most.

Cheers for all the insights!
    Brilliant result and more importantly he chose the SMP himself, wish I had done what you have been able to do.

Steve