closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid tests, what a farce

Covid tests, what a farce

I have been away over Christmas and a couple of the family who we visited needed lateral flow tests.

We enquired at 7 pharmacies who had all run out and tjen I got tipped off to try the library which, as it turned, had plenty. This wasn't advertised anywher so that's all a bit upside down.

Then, one member who we were visiting tested positive, so we bailed out and came home. We've been home for three days and this morning I tested positive. Can I get a PCR test ( which I believe I am obligated to do).

What is going on, the whole test chain is a complere mess and yet, we are supposed to report infections and get pcr tests.

I'm just not going to bother, I'll isolate for a few days and see what happens.

Master
    I think isolation is more than a few days. Look up current guidance as it varies by region.

Master
    LFT are like gold dust, I used our last one tonight, it was positive so booked in for a PCR tomorrow morning plenty of availability

Master
    I think increasing numbers of people have decided to bin the whole testing thing. I think there is a groundswell of feeling that if you’re fully jabbed just get on with life. Not sure where I am with it personally, I’m a bit tied up with moral responsibility but increasingly I’m doubting the value in the test and trace process especially around the new variant and it’s apparent low impact

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post

I'm just not going to bother, I'll isolate for a few days and see what happens.
    You need to get a PCR test.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I find it more bizarre we have different rules for different parts of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland) Have we suddenly become separate independent states? What exactly is the point of this other than to confuse and divide people even more?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I find it more bizarre we have different rules for different parts of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland) Have we suddenly become separate independent states? What exactly is the point of this other than to confuse and divide people even more?
    Devolved governments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You need to get a PCR test.

How, government website shows none available in England or by post ?

How, government website shows none available in England or by post ?
    PCR is physical test which you get locally at a test centre.

Are you being serious?

Not only.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not only.
    Currently, local test is the only option.

Master
    Wasn’t there something last week suggesting with the transmission speed of the new variant that PCR really didn’t count for a lot. It all really demonstrates the problem that people have really lost confidence, understanding or generally become apathetic about the check systems around covid and the effects of it

Are you being serious?

I'll try again.

On the government website it is showing no tests available in any region of England.

LFT tests from the central site are released based on the number of postal slots available to ship them out.

The NHS site listing alternative places to get them from is "generic" information and is not updated live.

Pharmacies receive a fee for each test they hand out, hence you need a code to get one an they are very keen to give them out

Local Council offices and libraries are the best places to pick up LFT kits, and should now be supplying a new version in packs of 20.

Unfortunately a case of Central Govt making an announcement and then telling those on the frontline to "make it happen"

Devolved governments.
    Waste of time in a pandemic

Perhaps, but there is no principle to have overall control.

Master
    I think it would have been a lot better if the Westminster government could have taken overall control of handling the pandemic, with informed participation and consent of the devolved assemblies. But that would never have been forthcoming from the Scottish government given that the SNP's primary purpose is to exclude the Westminster government from Scottish affairs, and that the pandemic gave Sturgeon an opportunity for a lot of exposure as a quasi-national leader.

So it would have required an invocation of emergency powers - and that would have caused a huge political row that would have been counter-productive to the purpose of organising a united front against the virus.

Grand Master
    Go through the nhs Covid app. I’ve got a home test pcr being delivered tomorrow after waking up with symptoms on Boxing Day.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I started with a cold last Tuesday, aching joints etc but hah the Booster on the Saturday before so assumed it was that.

Symptoms got worse over last week until Christmas morning, decided we'd all do a LFT. 2 girls both tested positive and I tested negative. All went for PCRs Christmas morning at the walk through, text the next day, we were all positive!

We are in Wales so based on start of symptoms I'm now isolating until the 31st, it's driving me crazy.

I'd agree with some of the earlier commentary, given the overall symptoms are so mild, lots of people are not going and getting tested. I get the whole situation, variants differing in severity and that the vaccinations are doing exactly what they were designed to do.

I wouldn't to be risking it without being vaccinated / boostered. Seen it take people from close family and friends, one of our friends list her Mum, Dad and brother in the space of 2 weeks during the first wave.

Obviously, each to their own, if people don't want to get vaccinated carry on. If people do, also carry on. Each has its own 'rusks' according to what your view may be.

Good luck with the testing / isolation

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    I started with a cold last Tuesday, aching joints etc but hah the Booster on the Saturday before so assumed it was that.

Symptoms got worse over last week until Christmas morning, decided we'd all do a LFT. 2 girls both tested positive and I tested negative. All went for PCRs Christmas morning at the walk through, text the next day, we were all positive!

We are in Wales so based on start of symptoms I'm now isolating until the 31st, it's driving me crazy.

I'd agree with some of the earlier commentary, given the overall symptoms are so mild, lots of people are not going and getting tested. I get the whole situation, variants differing in severity and that the vaccinations are doing exactly what they were designed to do.

I wouldn't to be risking it without being vaccinated / boostered. Seen it take people from close family and friends, one of our friends list her Mum, Dad and brother in the space of 2 weeks during the first wave.

Obviously, each to their own, if people don't want to get vaccinated carry on. If people do, also carry on. Each has its own 'rusks' according to what your view may be.

Good luck with the testing / isolation

Thanks for all replies. Luckily I have new sax coming to play with if I can get rid of wife

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'll try again.

On the government website it is showing no tests available in any region of England.
    It does show PCR tests available for home delivery though.

Master
    In the past it was only Scotland who had a fully separated judiciary that’s still the case but they have all been given there sell rule now so set there own agendas. Wee Jimmy Cranky up north certainly showed more leadership than bumbling Boris in the first round of covid.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not had any issues with getting LFTs either online or at local pharmacies or any problems with PCRs at the local walk in or drive in centres in Chelmsford, Essex. Seems very slick around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Not had any issues with getting LFTs either online or at local pharmacies or any problems with PCRs at the local walk in or drive in centres in Chelmsford, Essex. Seems very slick around these parts.
    Not my experience, many pharmacies out of LFTs before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    We were in Colchester at Christmas when trying to find LFT's

So the public need to test and trace but nobody can get any tests… so the only way to get a test if you think you have COVID is to leave home and join a queue at the local test centre with all the other people who think they have the bug.
    They say art imitates life… if so we are living in a ‘carry on’ film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So the public need to test and trace but nobody can get any tests… so the only way to get a test if you think you have COVID is to leave home and join a queue at the local test centre with all the other people who think they have the bug.
    Yes, queue long enough and you will be positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Pretty much, set in Peppa pig world.

No LFT kits available in any local chemists here in NW London for the past 2 odd weeks.

What was worse though is the sermon/lecture/rant I got from each chemist I tried about how ridiculous the government and situation was, was interesting to hear the first time but I just wanted to leave after finding out they had no test kits.

My experience of getting a PCR has been very positive. Son had a fever a week or so before Christmas, did a LFT at 21.30 and booked us both for a PCR next morning at 09.00. Results within 24 hours, he tested positive.

Likewise, my wife and two daughters made bookings on the 27 Dec for their covid boosters the following day. Obviously, a lot of people putting a great deal of effort in over the christmas period and sacrificing their own time with family to provide these services.

Notwithstanding personal experiences will differ, and removing any political agenda, I believe we have a lot to be greatful for in regards to covid testing and vaccinations considering the immense logistics concerned.
    Last edited by Crispin; 29th December 2021 at 12:58.

I ordered some LFT off the NHS site on Sunday.

They arrived this morning.

Ordered LFT online and received in two days.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

i have covid according to a LFT, so does a PCR test help you recover , will it stop me getting worse, if its just for stats then i will just self isolate till its over .

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    i have covid according to a LFT, so does a PCR test help you recover , will it stop me getting worse, if its just for stats then i will just self isolate till its over .
    Good point.

If you could get a postal PCR it will take at least a day to arrive then another day to send back. Assuming the labs aren't overwhelmed (which they probably are) then add another day.

By that time you're getting on to halfway through isolation anyway.

Makes me wonder about accuracy of the stats that we are hearing every day. They must be, at best, rough approximations and therefore valueless.

LFT's available for home delivery again - just ordered some.

Good point.

If you could get a postal PCR it will take at least a day to arrive then another day to send back. Assuming the labs aren't overwhelmed (which they probably are) then add another day.

By that time you're getting on to halfway through isolation anyway.

Makes me wonder about accuracy of the stats that we are hearing every day. They must be, at best, rough approximations and therefore valueless.
    yep, caught it Christmas day,i will isolate so wont put anyone else in danger ( i am even sleeping on the couch !as the wife is negative at this time), i am not seriously ill so wont strain the NHS, dont see need to become (dare i say a fear) stat ! and not a accurate one at that!
    stay healthy everyone

LFT's available for home delivery again - just ordered some.
    Just tried to order some…

Well they didn’t last very long - “no delivery slots available”.

Oh well I will try again tomorrow.

No LFTs in any chemist in my area of SW London for two or three weeks now. Managed to order a pack for our household and those of two elderly relatives from HMG, but it took several attempts in each case. On most occasions the response was none available after having entered all the details and answered the questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Just tried to order some…

Well they didn’t last very long - “no delivery slots available”.

Oh well I will try again tomorrow.
    Still working for me?.

Still working for me?.
    I reckon that means it is post code specific then - defined maximum number of delivery slots prebooked with carriers each day?

Maybe.

Still I have no intention of going out on New Year’s Eve and mixing with any Tom, Dick or Harry!

Just want to ensure we do a LTF, before meeting any family members.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had symptoms on Boxing Day sore throat and a cough same on Monday tested negative on both days, woke up Tuesday as right as rain, did a test positive. I feel fine so I am just going to isolate then on Tuesday do daily tests till I get two negative’s. My wife has tested negative every day since Christmas Eve.

Master
    A friend traveled 40 miles to get a test only to be told the people who were supposed to be administering it hadn't showed up. Ouch.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Go through the nhs Covid app. I’ve got a home test pcr being delivered tomorrow after waking up with symptoms on Boxing Day.
    Same here, did the prep and sent it back in a priority mailbox. Two days later got a txt telling I was negative.

Imagine if you and your other half worked in a hospital and you both had to test twice a week and on one of your rest days you had to spend running around trying to find a LFT kit. Sending off for a kit is often just as hit and miss.
    Welcome to our world.

Covid tests, what a farce

Gov ordering site 09:45h 30 December 2021:

1. Start now
    2. Sorry, there are no home delivery slots left for rapid lateral flow tests right now

I guess that means to anywhere.

When I’ve tried on previous occasions I get past entering my details and post code before I’ve found out there aren’t any slots left for my area.

Absolutely no chance at chemists, hasn’t been for two or three weeks now.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 30th December 2021 at 10:49.

I've been getting that message for two days now. Those that bulk-bought pasta, bog roll and flour have obviously been filling their sheds with piles of test kits so they can test daily and go out over the festive period. If unwell people can't get a test they'll treat it as a cold and go about their business.

Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Gov ordering site 09:45h 30 December 2021:

1. Start now
    2. Sorry, there are no home delivery slots left for rapid lateral flow tests right now

I guess that means to anywhere.

When I’ve tried on previous occasions I get past entering my details and post code before I’ve found out there aren’t any slots left for my area.

Absolutely no chance at chemists, hasn’t been for two or three weeks now.

Wales is lending England 4 million LFTs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59832994

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Same here, did the prep and sent it back in a priority mailbox. Two days later got a txt telling I was negative.
    Got mine yesterday through the post and posted back same day. Result just came through, negative. I can go downstairs and everything! Wife is calling me out for dramatising manflu now

Wife just did a positive lateral flow. Went online to book a PCR and the initial screen said none available anywhere, carried on anyway and booked one just up the road in 30mins time, though that may be because we ticked the essential worker box?

Still non available online or locally.