closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 years since I quit smoking ...

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    anyone noticed smoking is even more prevalent in films and tv series in recent years? was watching a new series lately that had a branded packed of cigarette's in it!. Couldn't believe it! and Greg Davies series "the cleaner" has him vaping throughout..
    Yes, it seems appropriate for series set before the 1990s, less so in modern ones. It always seemed odd in series set in, say, the 70s or 80s, that a scene in a pub wouldn't be obscured by smoke.

Vaping seems appropriate to modern set series, though. A lot of it about.

As for not regretting smoking, it's hard to regret something that you can't change, but my neighbour smoked until a year or so ago when he got smoking-related (he said) Oesphegal cancer, sadly he died, horribly, from it in his late 60s. He certainly felt it was a price paid for smoking all his life.

I guess it's easy not to regret something until you have reason to.

That said, one of my grandmother's smoked all her adult life and died in her mid-80s, so there's no guarantee that smoking will kill you (or that not smoking will prolong your life).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I am likely a minority but I have never smoked a cigarette, pipe, cigar or other. I have never seen the appeal. It’s a horrid habit IMO.
    I had a girlfriend who smoked when I was in my late teens, stale smokers breath is vile, especially in the morning, however the need for getting my end away helped me overcome that problem. I have never dated another smoker though.
    My father smoked but gave up about 10 years ago, he says it’s the best thing he has ever done.
    My grandmother smoked from age 12 until her 75th birthday she gave up cold turkey. She is 90 in a few weeks time and still going strong.

Fair play to anyone who does quit, habits are very hard to break without strong will-power.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yes, it seems appropriate for series set before the 1990s, less so in modern ones. It always seemed odd in series set in, say, the 70s or 80s, that a scene in a pub wouldn't be obscured by smoke.

Vaping seems appropriate to modern set series, though. A lot of it about.

As for not regretting smoking, it's hard to regret something that you can't change, but my neighbour smoked until a year or so ago when he got smoking-related (he said) Oesphegal cancer, sadly he died, horribly, from it in his late 60s. He certainly felt it was a price paid for smoking all his life.

I guess it's easy not to regret something until you have reason to.

That said, one of my grandmother's smoked all her adult life and died in her mid-80s, so there's no guarantee that smoking will kill you (or that not smoking will prolong your life).

M

Smoking or vaping shouldn’t be appropriate full stop imo. It’s still marketing a highly addictive poisonous substance to mass audiences. But as we all know, smoking brings in to much money for government to actually give a shit.

Should no one drink in dramas? Eat junk food? Drive fast?

Maybe I'm just not sensitive to these things, but I see smoking as appropriate in periods where it was commonplace.

In a similar way that lots of black or women police officers look odd in 60s dramas, nobody smoking does too.

We all know things are better (If still not ideal) in these respects, but to pretend things were different in the past seems inauthentic.

What next, women MPs in victorian dramas? Women soldiers in WW2 films (Russian excepted of course)?

Things just don't ring true if you apply modern values to the past.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    5 years and 8 months here. I still vape*

And well over 16 years since I stopped drinking.

This place and its members deserve some of the credit for both, by virtue of advice and common purpose from time to time.

*I’d like not to, and I need to get more focussed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    5 years and 8 months here. I still vape*

And well over 16 years since I stopped drinking.

This place and its members deserve some of the credit for both, by virtue of advice and common purpose from time to time.

*I’d like not to, and I need to get more focussed on it.
    Can be done ... Consider 'focusing' on a day several weeks ahead when you will quit ... and focus on it every day ... and think about all the ££benefits ... Why continue to put ££ in vape kit sellers' pockets?
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    I smoked on and off for nearly 20 years. At my worst, when I had a sabbatical from work for a year and spent half of it sat on the beach on a Thai island, I was going through 4/5 packs of red Marlboro a day.

My last cigarette was 24th July 2010. Giving up is one of the best presents I ever gave myself. When I quit, I'd just had enough ... went cold turkey, no aids, no books, just stopped.

I avoid absolutely everything smoking-related now - one puff on a ciggie or a cigar, or something ahem "herbal" and I'd be hooked again - not worth chancing it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I decided to quit my 20-30 a day habit around the time they got over £5 a pack - 2006? So after 25 years of smoking.

Again, no NRT etc, just made the decision and stuck to it. My only regret is that I didnt try sooner.

I believe it was Nietzsche who said an addiction cannot be just terminated, but replaced by a different, but even greater addiction. In the light of that, I successfully quit smoking the day my daughter was born 3.5 years ago, and been buying vintage watches since like there's no tomorrow. The former was bad for health, but quite gentle on the wallet (had been using yummy 1st class Virginia hand rolling tobacco). The latter is definitely healthier, but without doubt much heavier on the wallet. Just can't make the wife happy can we. I'd love to hear what Nietzsche could comment on vintage watch spending sprees :D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Yep- dummies for grown men. Still, my means of tobacco consumption are pleasanter and less harmful than fags.

Be careful I did hear that Cigars and pipes are a cause of mouth cancers, also it rots your teeth and gums

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Smoking or vaping shouldn’t be appropriate full stop imo. It’s still marketing a highly addictive poisonous substance to mass audiences. But as we all know, smoking brings in to much money for government to actually give a shit.
    I vape and it’s nicotine free vaping I do. Please tell me what addictive poisonous substance I am using?

My wife and I smoked 20 a day for nearly 50 years :( when I was 16, working full time in the engineering with a motor bike (greaser) and a girl friend you was expected to smoke, peer pressure really but who wants to be the odd one out ? back then I dident but these days I couldn't give a monkeys :)

On the 14th of Feb I will have been stopped 8 years, I vape with zero nicotine my wife just stopped totally when I did.

My vape is a bit like a dummy for me and costs me between £1 and £1.50 a week, i'm happy and just wish I had never started, the money we literally burnt over the years, jeeeeze.

We have five kids and not one of them as ever smoked, we told them over and over that we were stupid, it worked :)

Since I stopped I have never fancied a real smoke but every now and again my wife will say "I would love a fag" :)

Congratulations to all TZ UK members who've managed to quit smoking ... And to all those who want to quit but have been unsuccessful so far ... Think of someone you know who has quit ... You are just as capable, maybe more capable, than that person .. So please consider matching their achievement and enjoy the £££proceeds when you do. You can do it. ;)

I gave up 10/03/10 National No Smoking Day, the money (saved) was spent on purchasing a Hulk, one of my better decisions.

Morning, All!

Morning, All!
    Such a rebel!

Master
    I smoked from about 18 . 10 a day . Loved the first one I had … smoked out of bravado at a party … exoected to hate it and be sick …. Bloody amazing !

Quit about 26 . Started up sporadically … mainly on film shoots . Lots of time to kill plus lots of stress .

Switched to a vape … loved it … massive nicotine buzz ( think I was practicalky swallowing it ). Best thing ever . 3 years later I think I had numbed my nicotine receptors , quit completely .

I will very very occasionally smoke a cohiba with a glass ( or 8) of single malt ( lagavulin normally) like 2 a year .

Craftsman
    I switched from Golden Virginia to American Spirit rolling tobacco first, then after a year or so quit smoking in 2014 and replaced it with vaping. Vaping is definitely the lesser of two evils and a lot cheaper, but of course not ideal. Still my health is so much better than when I smoked, so I have a lot to be thankful for. I've reduced the nicotine level of my vape liquid over the years...so tapering off very gradually. With some of the money I've saved I'm going to buy myself a very nice watch soon!

Morning, All!
    The artworks on your wall have much to endure!!

7 years for me.

Future humans will look back and wonder why it was ever acceptable

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I vape and it’s nicotine free vaping I do. Please tell me what addictive poisonous substance I am using?
    in the context of my post how would audiences know the character was vaping nicotine free? You are most certainly in the minority so the act of breathing in whatever and exhaling whatever will always be associated to conventional smoking ie nicotine addiction.
    A quick google gives you various substances included in vaping liquids. You can decide for yourself if humans were made to inhale them or not 😃