closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Riseman display blank

Riseman display blank

I picked up my Riseman for the first time in weeks yesterday, only to find that the display was blank save for a flashing "c".

Will a few days on the window sill restore it back to life, or am I looking at a new battery? If the latter, is it just a Timpsons job?

Flashing c indicates charge. Can take ages indoors, even on windowsill. Leave outside if you can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I picked up my Riseman for the first time in weeks yesterday, only to find that the display was blank save for a flashing "c".

Will a few days on the window sill restore it back to life, or am I looking at a new battery? If the latter, is it just a Timpsons job?
    Quoting Timpsons may get you a ban
    This time of year when there is very little visible sun it may take a long time (weeks) to come back to life

Thanks both. Annoying, but it looks like I'm going to have to be patient

Master
    The C denotes COVID - the watch has gone into lock down

[QUOTE=lewie;5901551]Quoting Timpsons may get you a ban/QUOTE]

Made me chuckle…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annoying, but it looks like I'm going to have to be patient
    At least you don't live in the Shetlands or further north.
    It would be Spring before it started to charge!

Timpsons wouldn't fit the right battery anyway. It has to be the proper rechargeable sort then you have to do an ac reset before screwing down the back cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    At least you don't live in the Shetlands or further north.
    It would be Spring before it started to charge!
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Timpsons wouldn't fit the right battery anyway. It has to be the proper rechargeable sort then you have to do an ac reset before screwing down the back cover.
    Sounds like a DIY job if it comes to that, then. Would the case seal have to be treated in any way before reassembling, and does the reset definitely need to precede refitting the case back?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Quoting Timpsons may get you a ban
    This time of year when there is very little visible sun it may take a long time (weeks) to come back to life
    What is the matter with mentioning Timpsons?

Good point!

Sounds like a DIY job if it comes to that, then. Would the case seal have to be treated in any way before reassembling, and does the reset definitely need to precede refitting the case back?
    I’ve replaced plenty of G shock batteries - never had to replace one in a solar atomic though. Tbh the cell will most probably recharge, just tricky in December in the uk!! - it might be worth sending back to Casio direct unless you can wait for some spring sunshine , I’ve had a couple of batteries replaced by them before I took the plunge myself and they were swift and efficient - and cheap!
    I’ve never had to replace a caseback gasket either - I have one of those little pots with sponge inside coated in silicone grease and a quick coating from that seems to do the job.
    I saw a few posts on wus recently saying most of these cells last 12 years max. I have a 14 year old frogman which has never been off a full charge - and about 3 others over a decade old, so I’d be surprised if your watch doesn’t spring back to life after a few days of proper outdoor sun

I’ve just replaced the solar battery in my wife’s M5610. It was bought on sc about ten years back and wasn’t syncing correctly overnight, it kept resetting itself. Did some research and the consensus was that the cell needed replacing.
    Battery was twelve quid from eBay. Easy job and it’s runs like a dream now

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve replaced plenty of G shock batteries - never had to replace one in a solar atomic though. Tbh the cell will most probably recharge, just tricky in December in the uk!! - it might be worth sending back to Casio direct unless you can wait for some spring sunshine , I’ve had a couple of batteries replaced by them before I took the plunge myself and they were swift and efficient - and cheap!
    I’ve never had to replace a caseback gasket either - I have one of those little pots with sponge inside coated in silicone grease and a quick coating from that seems to do the job.
    I saw a few posts on wus recently saying most of these cells last 12 years max. I have a 14 year old frogman which has never been off a full charge - and about 3 others over a decade old, so I’d be surprised if your watch doesn’t spring back to life after a few days of proper outdoor sun
    Cheers - hopefully I'll be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    I’ve just replaced the solar battery in my wife’s M5610. It was bought on sc about ten years back and wasn’t syncing correctly overnight, it kept resetting itself. Did some research and the consensus was that the cell needed replacing.
    Battery was twelve quid from eBay. Easy job and it’s runs like a dream now
    Good to know, thanks.

Well, that's a result. Sprung back to life already, although obviously showing a low charge so will leave it where it is for a while!

Master
    If you need a Riseman to borrow while yours charges, give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    If you need a Riseman to borrow while yours charges, give me a shout.
    I'm good thanks, but that's an immensely kind offer which'll see a tenner going to the fundraiser!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The C denotes COVID - the watch has gone into lock down

I thought the 'C' denotes what Casio think of people who leave a solar-powered watch in the dark until it is out of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I thought the 'C' denotes what Casio think of people who leave a solar-powered watch in the dark until it is out of charge.
    You make a good point.

Master
    I'm good thanks, but that's an immensely kind offer which'll see a tenner going to the fundraiser!
    Well done sir!