closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Considering buying a heated clothes drier from Lakeland

Considering buying a heated clothes drier from Lakeland

Considering buying an electric clothes drier from Lakeland https://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry...reviews-toggle. ... over 800 reviews so unlikely to be a poor buy and its energy efficient compared to a tumble drier. Miele tumble drier failed in a big way last week with a very loud "B A N G" ... suspect thermostat failed because clothes were bone dry after relatively short time and appliance was too hot to touch ... it's 11 years old. Does anyone have experience of using the Lakeland electric drier offerings and are you happy to continue using them? I can fit a matching drawer unit under the kitchen worktop when the Miele is gone.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

We have one, it's good but I don't think it compares to a tumble-drier.
    It's better than the non-electric contraption on damp days, undoubtedly, and I'd probably have another one if it failed (had ours for 5+ years I think) but that's because we don't have a convenient space for a tumble drier.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

^^ Thank you ... If you're happy after 5 years use that's a good recommendation ... Aware not as fast as a tumble drier but speed is not a priority and hopefully will reduce wear to clothes caused by tumbler drying action .... and no 'fluff' to clear.

We also have one and have used it for 4 years, mostly in the winter.

We also use the method of placing a double duvet over the top to enclose it, this gets better drying results, yes it is not as good as a tumble dryer but we do not have room for one.

I think it was well worth the purchase, be aware though to have the windows in that room open to let the moisture out :)

Master
    Have you considered a dehumidifier?
    I use une in bad weather days - dries washing quickly and inexpensive to run- can usually pick up sh cheap

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    ^^ Thank you ... If you're happy after 5 years use that's a good recommendation ... Aware not as fast as a tumble drier but speed is not a priority and hopefully will reduce wear to clothes caused by tumbler drying action .... and no 'fluff' to clear.
    We have a tumble dryer in the garage. We only use it as last resort to save energy costs/planet. The amount of fluff generated when it is used is astounding, its a wonder the clothes don't disappear!

Craftsman

Considering buying a heated clothes drier from Lakeland

I just bought one from Aldi and its excellent, plus it heats the entire floor of the house it’s like a furnace once it’s up And running, I have no idea about efficiency or cost to run though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into these a few months ago, and it seems that the cover (or as noted above, covering it with something you have already) helps a lot. Humidity will be an inevitable issue depending on ventilation too.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Have you considered a dehumidifier?
    I use une in bad weather days - dries washing quickly and inexpensive to run- can usually pick up sh cheap
    That's what we use and it's brilliant... Couple of hours and done.
    We use this...
    Blyss WDH-316 from Screwfix
    Very compact too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    We also have one and have used it for 4 years, mostly in the winter.

We also use the method of placing a double duvet over the top to enclose it, this gets better drying results, yes it is not as good as a tumble dryer but we do not have room for one.

I think it was well worth the purchase, be aware though to have the windows in that room open to let the moisture out :)
    Won’t the moisture be trapped in the duvet?

Thanks for comments . Not considered a dehumidifier ... will investigate. Aldi drier is good value but too long for intended location ... and has some -ve reviews. Plan to use electric drier in bathroom overnight with windows open. Tumble driers are a 'must have' for many households but to replace my old fashioned likely inefficient Miele with a modern more efficient Miele would likely cost c.£1000 ... do the maths and consider cost per wash assuming a 10 year life ... once per week = c. £2 per wash plus the energy cost ... Plan to use a garden drier in future when weather favourable and electric drier when necessary. Fuel costs likely to increase in spring ... still waiting for Octopus to sort out my AVRO account / transfer and expecting a hefty bill for arrears with revised tariff.

dunk

Another vote for a dehumidifier here - I use it in my 2nd home (flat at 13c where I don't use the heating) and it dries my washing overnight. I have a Meaco DD8L (a Which best buy) - currently £180 on Amazon but I picked it up in June when the price dropped to £100 (i.e. the price does vary).

Master
    It really is amazing how quick you can dry a load on a clothes horse
    I’ve picked a couple of decent secondhand ones up for sub £30 obviously you get no condensation like you will with a dryer and loads of water to use in the iron or steam mop

Thank you for all your comments ... Looked at dehumidifiers but not so keen for overnight use with central heating on ... too noisy ... I'm a light sleeper and can hear the c/h system working so it's all turned off at night. Thanks to TZ member Graham just ordered a Lakeland refurbished drier via Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255292855...hxEAv#shpCntId

And looking forward to having more storage space in my kitchen when the 'kaput' Miele appliance is collected by the council.

Happy Christmas to Everyone.

dunk

Master
    I must admit I detest tumble dryers - most things come out full Of static and too small

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for all your comments ... Looked at dehumidifiers but not so keen for overnight use with central heating on ... too noisy ... I'm a light sleeper and can hear the c/h system working so it's all turned off at night. Thanks to TZ member Graham just ordered a Lakeland refurbished drier via Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255292855...hxEAv#shpCntId

I wonder what "refurbished" means? Looks a decent price from Lakeland ... so what is the deal?

Journeyman
    I used one of these in a Cornwall Air BnB in the autumn, and it was great for drying out soggy walking gear etc. I was so impressed that upon returning home I ordered a refurbished mini version from Lakeland on EBay. Unfortunately when it arrived it was a bit too small, so I returned it and replaced it with a standard sized deluxe model (also refurbished).

Both of my refurbs came looking like brand new, but one had a marked box whilst the other was packaged in a new generic box. All the refurbs come with 12m warranty and are significantly reduced vs RRP!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder what "refurbished" means? Looks a decent price from Lakeland ... so what is the deal?
    Maybe ex display or damaged packaging or customer returns ... 'refurbished' maybe a generic term ... provided it works and is not damaged I'm happy to buy

And it's part of my New Year plan to reduce energy costs ... s/b a cost effective purchase ... and likely a lot cheaper than calling out a domestic appliance repairer for the Miele

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd December 2021 at 19:07.

SWMBO uses a de-humidifer, the only times she dries clothes indoors is in the winter months and the condensation from electric driers is substantial, whereas the de-humidifer solves both drying and moisture.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Won’t the moisture be trapped in the duvet?
    It escapes, I’ll assume the cotton let’s the water out

We used to use a heated clothes drier in conjunction with an air fan; it stopped the clothes smelling musty. Nowadays the tumble drier gets a battering instead!

Craftsman
    SWMBO uses one to dry clothes in winter that can’t go in tumble drier. Loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We’ve got the Lakeland dryer with cover, it’s ok but everything takes 6 hours to dry and we still use the tumble dryer for some stuff. A sensing dryer makes a big difference as they don’t carry on nuking your clothes once dry.

The Lakeland drier is en-route but have decided to keep the Miele tumble drier and try and repair it myself ... and if successful use it but only occasionally when really necessary. There are lots of You Tube tumble drier repair videos and spare parts costs are £reasonable.

dunk

Master
    The Lakeland drier is en-route but have decided to keep the Miele tumble drier and try and repair it myself ... and if successful use it but only occasionally when really necessary. There are lots of You Tube tumble drier repair videos and spare parts costs are £reasonable.

dunk
    A man after my own heart

dunk
    Agree, good thing about the German brands is the availability of spare parts, diagrams etc compared to Samsung and others.

Multi-meter, screwdrivers, pliers and cutters ... and a hair dryer ... should be sufficient tools

dunk

Craftsman
    We have that same Lakeland one. Paired with the tent thingy and a dehumidifier it does dry things fast - not sure how much it costs to run both mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk