closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50th Birthday Watch

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Maybe....or the Sinn 104. Baton or Arabic though?
    Batons and black dial on bracelet, then mix it up with straps.

50th Birthday Watch

A bit left field for this forum but there are some really nice Tag Heuers available at around the money you’re looking at. A Carrera Chronograph or an ana/digi Aquaracer perhaps. Both have wrist presence.

Even the Heuer Super professional on SC at the moment is worth a thought, big, bold and a pretty rare watch these days. Unlikely to lose money if you do decide it’s not for you at some point.

Edit: I note you’ve already commented on the Tag version also on SC at the moment.

Batons. The 104 is a great watch but there are more interesting buys with your budget. Your money though, if you like it, you like it.

Master
    >My budget is around £1500 (could go to £2k)<

Probably the worst amount to spend on a watch. You'll be fishing in the pool of 'Swiss' shitters. I'd either spend 50% of that budget on Seiko or double it for a Speedy Pro on a bracelet.

Craftsman
    The GS I had was nothing short of beautiful and amazing mechanics. It was just a bit too nice for me. Does that make sense? Celia (verv) above got it about right in that I need a bit of heft.
    Yes I think I get what you mean, and it's what I expected looking at your previous posts. My only slight challenge would be that if you're looking for a keeper, and it's a milestone birthday, then is it maybe time to have something a bit 'nice'? You can keep flipping away with the chunky monkeys and have something classic and a bit different to your norm to come back to. A palate cleanser if you like?

I don't think NOMOS is for you FWIW. Much as I love them. A second hand Breitling might be the answer?

Master
    I’d go with a used BB. That way if you don’t bond they seem easy enough to move on and you’re unlikely to lose money on it.

Something like this would be ideal....

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitl...94/item/202948

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    A second hand Breitling might be the answer?

My friend refers to his 40th watch as the “poisoned chalice”. He feels a duty to hang on to it despite not wearing or even liking it anymore to the point I’m sure he resents the thing. Bad position to be in IMO.

There have been some great suggestions already but I think my advice would be to avoid the pressure of buying something and immediately labelling it as the 50th birthday watch. Nothing to stop you from perhaps acquiring a BB58 with your £2k and if it’s not for you, flip and recycle the money and try a MM300. Rinse and repeat until you get something you feel you truly bond with. If it’s the first one you try, then great. Assuming you found a piece before the end of 2022, it would still have the significance of marking your 50th year akin to a birth year watch and would be identified as such by you moving forward.

If I was 100% sure the watch would be a keeper and if I was buying new, I can see the attraction of purchasing on the day I wanted to commemorate ensuring the the paperwork and cards corresponded to that exact date. A pre owned purchase removes that hurdle completely though for me.

50th Birthday Watch

RLE is right regarding the “poison chalice” issue.

I’ would suggest going for something more affordable for similar reasons. My white dial Smiths Navigator was a gift for a recent special occasion and although more affordable than lots of the watches we look at, it was still a lot of money for my family to spend on me. I’ll never sell it and wear it a lot. Even if I end up not liking as much as other watches I will always put it on for special occasions. I wouldn’t be tempted to sell it to free up money or pursue something else, as it’s not worth a huge amount of money (but worth an awful lot to me).

I guess in summary I’m saying going for something affordable but enjoyable as a watch to mark and occasion, then keep the more expensive stuff for flipping and enjoying for yourself.

If any of that makes any sense!

Here’s an idea. Weekend away in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Combine it with a visit to anOrdain. Then you have a great watch within budget, marked by a special weekend.

^ I reckon 36mm too small for the OP. But, lovely dials - I like the brown whiskey. [P.S. Glasgow way better for a night oot than up-its-own-erse Emburgh!]

I did the same thing for my 50th. I did have quite a few watches, some expensive some not so.

Maybe not a serial flipped but bought and sold quite a few over the years. I sold on quite a few to get a budget a bit more than you and bought this 50 year old date just.

I wear it a lot. And it’s not going anywhere, other than to my daughter or son when I’m no longer around.

If I was sticking to your budget I’d be thinking black bay or something German like sinn or damasko.

Cheers, Shaun

A random one TTC but my suggestion is a Linde Werdelin, can be had for 2k secondhand. Something a bit different and mine are 2 of my favourite watches.

I agree with a couple of other posters, I think the budget is a bit arbitrary really in these situations and so personally I'd spend a fair bit less on something like the Smiths Commando 200m when it comes out. I reckon it will pretty much as good as a bb58 if you're considering one of those

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master

50th Birthday Watch

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    As said before I think an SBDX001 MM300 would suit you I'm biased to this reference as it has vintage hues unlike the newer versions, get it for the right price and if you do get a dose of flipperitis you'll not lose anything..

The black nore lighthouse. Do you live near Portishead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 23rd December 2021 at 20:05.

List so far for consideration is:

SIDUNA Swedish M3440 Air Force chronograph
    BB58
    Sinn 104
    Damasko
    MM300
    Used Breitling
    C Ward C65 Sandhurst
    C Ward C65 Dartmouth

The prices of these range from £800 to £2k so I'm going to take onboard what a few of you have said and buy the watch I like the most regardless of cost. I know that seems an obvious thing to say but this hobby is anything but rational.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 23rd December 2021 at 22:23.

Master
    Didn't you say the Oris big pilot earlier? If pilot watches are possible then consider stowa or laco. Both were suppliers to the Luftwaffe so have a bit of history.
    Also tag Heuer Aquaracer is in budget.

A pre-owned Omega Railmaster on strap or bracelet (not sure on private sale prices). I think the design is a classic and a real keeper. Easy to dress up or down.

Master
    Or a re-issue of the Seiko Willard. They wear nicely , fit the budget and looking at your history you like Seiko turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about the BB58 as a forever watch. It’s just so “on trend” these last couple of years, and we all know what happens to trends. No innate criticism of the watch; I like them, just unsure how they’ll age.

I've been looking at the SPB151J1 (Willard) and the SPB187J1 tonight and I really like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Or a re-issue of the Seiko Willard. They wear nicely , fit the budget and looking at your history you like Seiko turtles.

I would consider the Seiko SBDB001, best watch I’ve had for under 2k which is near your figure, Spring Drive accuracy, 600m WR, true GMT, incredible lume, grade 5 titanium as used in Grand Seiko’s and a unique saw tooth bezel, often cheaper than an MM300 pre-owned which is something I never understood but therefore makes it all the more of a bargain.

Thanks but I don’t like the hands, the PR indicator or the hex screw in the end link.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I would consider the Seiko SBDB001, best watch I’ve had for under 2k which is near your figure, Spring Drive accuracy, 600m WR, true GMT, incredible lume, grade 5 titanium as used in Grand Seiko’s and a unique saw tooth bezel, often cheaper than an MM300 pre-owned which is something I never understood but therefore makes it all the more of a bargain.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks but I don’t like the hands, the PR indicator or the hex screw in the end link.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post

Blog Entries
    David.

BB58 in black on bracelet is the best value out there. Otherwise my suggestion would be a MM300 (non prospex logo) or MB2 if you can stretch. Good luck and ignore Mick P.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 24th December 2021 at 07:11.

I do think £1500-2000 is a tricky amount of money, expensive by any rational standards, but not many truly interesting watches.

For horological chops it has to be Nomos. I have this Tangente 139, and although it’s excellent, I don’t wear it so often because it’s not my preferred style, as I like simple tool watches. It’s a dressy night out sort of watch.

I do have both the Damasko DC56, and the Sinn U1, both of which are equally excellent, hard wearing and metallurgically interesting. Overall I think the Damasko ought to edge it for movement and versatility, although I do seem to wear the U1 more.

If the BB58 style appeals it’s a very solid choice. Although it’s more expensive up front, it’s probably not much more if you consider value retention.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Dave

Max Bill Chronoscope and a bag of chips. Job jobbed.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Doxa Sub 300 50th Anniversary?

Master
    Out of the ones you've listed so far, I would go for a Damasko Chrono of some sort. Funnily enough my 50th is next Feb but I have zero budget at the moment even though I have been looking. For me it would probably be a Chrono if it were an option and a second hand IWC 3706 on a bracelet or a Damasko on leather. The Christopher Ward C65 Chrono is also very nice but I am not sure it would keep my interest long enough.

Anyway, I digress and wish you all the best with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Doxa Sub 300 50th Anniversary?

I was going to mention Doxa but I think the OP purchased a Seestern recently and then flipped it.

Could I ask - when you flip watches is it for reasons of just getting bored with the watch or is it money reasons as in to recoup the funds to buy something else?

I was going to mention Doxa but I think the OP purchased a Seestern recently and then flipped it.

Could I ask - when you flip watches is it for reasons of just getting bored with the watch or is it money reasons as in to recoup the funds to buy something else?
    Is there a Seestern Sub 300? I thought it was only the 300Ts that they copied?

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Is there a Seestern Sub 300? I thought it was only the 300Ts that they copied?

They are very similar though unless the 300 Sub is not the watch I’m thinking of!!

They are very similar though unless the 300 Sub is not the watch I’m thinking of!!
    Oh it’s sexy and so different to the 300T

Journeyman
    what a beauty

Tried it, bored with it, flog it. I’ve tried hundreds of watches over the years, it’s just a hobby.

I can’t look past Tudor at the price point, and any BB is going to hold decent money in the mid to long term, as long as it’s bought used at the right price. Great watch, great movement, and not a lot in competition for my liking. A nice Omega diver is looking around £500-£1k+ more used for example.

Some other choices look like a loss making exercise if they don’t stick around, and some don’t have the prestige of a Tudor (it’s not a Rolex, but that’s partly a good thing these days).
    It's just a matter of time...

It might be a bit left field David, but this has proved to be an absolutely cracking watch. It was also under £2k…

https://i.imgur.com/BA8lTec.jpg

Simon

Thanks for taking the time to find those but they’re about as far from what I’m looking for as it’s possible to be.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Stunning Simon. I thought they would be in excess of £2k.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    It might be a bit left field David, but this has proved to be an absolutely cracking watch. It was also under £2k…

Simon

Craftsman
    I tried a bb58 on recently very impressive and I'm aiming for that for my 40th

How about it cwc release another batch of the fat boy reissue next year asking if they have one stamped 050/22?

Ive been looking at Tudors for the last few days and I f you want to go for the BB41 there is a navy one on eBay for £2,099 and a black on C24 for £2,175 with a button to suggest a price - both 2021 watches.

Craftsman

Stunning Simon. I thought they would be in excess of £2k.
    The 29er Big from Muhle Glasshutte could also be worth a look. Despite the silly name.

Slightly above budget but Ernest Jones has Tudor Black Bay Dark on sale down to £2600.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Slightly above budget but Ernest Jones has Tudor Black Bay Dark on sale down to £2600.
    Been out of stock since early on yesterday. WoS have it in stock on leather for about 2,580 or so.

Ah, when I posted it stated there were 5 in stock. Hopefully a member from here has managed to get one.

Master
    Berty’s BB58 blue at £2,095 with extra strap would have been the perfect watch and at that price, if you didn’t bond long term you wouldn’t be out of pocket. Not surprised it sold straight away. I’d look out for something similar.

Master

Simon
    Really like that, it’s going on the list.

Currently a 15% discount too.

That's an excellent idea - cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I tried a bb58 on recently very impressive and I'm aiming for that for my 40th

How about it cwc release another batch of the fat boy reissue next year asking if they have one stamped 050/22?

List so far for consideration is:

SIDUNA Swedish M3440 Air Force chronograph
    BB58
    Sinn 104
    Damasko
    MM300
    Used Breitling
    C Ward C65 Sandhurst
    C Ward C65 Dartmouth

The prices of these range from £800 to £2k so I'm going to take onboard what a few of you have said and buy the watch I like the most regardless of cost. I know that seems an obvious thing to say but this hobby is anything but rational.
    CW sale will be starting mid next week. If you are quick, and I mean quick you may be able to pick up a NN Dartmouth or Sandhurst for 30% off.

Both a steal if you can get them on bracelet for around £650ish.

Master

Simon
    Your inbox is full

Who knows someone might be buying you a Rolex https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-father-s-50th