closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "It's time to leave the Submariner behind"

Blog Entries

"It's time to leave the Submariner behind"

I know it's only an advertising e-mail to try and drum up some trade, but does anyone think it might be the case?

It wouldn't have stopped me waiting for my Sub, but does anyone think they have a point?

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Yes. It’s high time to leave it behind. And they have a point: you can bag something similar or better for less money.

I think many people already know it, but I’m interested to see a shop openly advertising it.

Blog Entries
    reverse psychology perhaps - the last paragraph really says it all.. its a sales tactic. Now time to stuff the turkey and buy in a shed load of beer before the pubs close.. Well it got me looking at the WF Christmas 'sale' - some lovely pieces there and outside the usual run-of-the-mill.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd December 2021 at 19:01.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quite a few of us already have.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    If I was on a waiting list for a Submariner, it wouldn't stop me from wanting the Sub though.

Nice enough advert. Alternative quality divers available now, at lower (but still big money) prices.

Leave it behind? Wouldn't part with mine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cringe when I read the word period … can’t stand that.

I was going to reply but every possible answer is so meaningless I felt sad.

Here's Sueño Con Serpientes by Silvio Rodríguez instead

It's just an ad to catch some of the potential customers who look at the prices online - and realise that they can't justify Rolex prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Especially when they use it in the middle of a sentence, it's supposed to be an indicator of the end of an irrefutable statement, a verbal full-stop.

Master
    And if they had loads of subs for sale it would be ‘don’t settle for the rest, get the best, iconic watch, all time great, blah blah etc etc’.

Purely marketing strategy to make sales today. Tomorrow it will be something else.

Master
    Nothing says 'winner' like wearing a Sub

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Yes. It’s high time to leave it behind. And they have a point: you can bag something similar or better for less money.

I think many people already know it, but I’m interested to see a shop openly advertising it.
    I’ve got 4 or 5 of them. You can’t get better. Certainly not for less money (at retail.)

Misses the point that it’s not a watch that keeps perfect time or goes underwater that most buyers want, they just want a Rolex. Stick the Rolex name and crown on any of these perfectly good alternatives and there would be a waiting list straight away and they would trade well over retail. It’s all in the name at the moment.

I nearly bought one a few years back, but bought a Day-Date instead. In some ways you might say the sub has lost it's way as a tool watch as very few people would want a £10k watch as a tool watch. However it is a really good piece of design and extremely well engineered. For me I have a Marathon Navigator that does the same duty in my collection now.
    Last edited by Caruso; 22nd December 2021 at 21:36.

The words - Submariner and Sale are equal to the words Oil and Water.

They simply just don’t go together!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I get that fact that 'old hands' who have owned a Submariner in the past may well have enjoyed it and moved on.

I also get that there are plenty of other technically equivalent alternatives available.

But for a person with an interest in watches the Submariner is THE iconic tool watch, and if you have never owned one that is a powerful itch that needs scratching.
    For that person there is no alternative

I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yawn ... It's time to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    And perhaps not advertise another watch reseller on here?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    You can’t get better. Certainly not for less money (at retail.)
    In what way can’t you get better? I don’t wish to start the usual anti-Rolex stuff but have always preferred the Fifty Fathoms. So, I’m curious why, in your experience, you can’t get better than a Sub.

Master
    Which Tudor is that in the centre of the Watchfinder pic please.
    l do like that with the curved script above the 6.

One of the early ETA black bays I think

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Looks to be the earlier ETA powered Black Bay 41

Master
    I'm guessing about 49 out of every 50 people who want one new, can't get one, so it's a nice combination of realism and marketing.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I doubt the Rolex Submariners will ever be left behind, they'll be being produced - and people will be buying them - for a long, long time to come.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Looks to be the earlier ETA powered Black Bay 41
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    In what way can’t you get better? I don’t wish to start the usual anti-Rolex stuff but have always preferred the Fifty Fathoms. So, I’m curious why, in your experience, you can’t get better than a Sub.
    Out of curiosity, for those who own/have owned a sub and a FF which is the better of the 2, the FF has a higher retail price so is it justified?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Well I suppose if talking about watches doesn’t interest you that might be an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    And perhaps not advertise another watch reseller on here?
    I doubt if Eddie would mind a discussion about Watchfinder trying to shift peoples focus from the Sub to cheaper watches to create sales.
    If so no doubt I’ll be the first to know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I get that fact that 'old hands' who have owned a Submariner in the past may well have enjoyed it and moved on.

I also get that there are plenty of other technically equivalent alternatives available.

But for a person with an interest in watches the Submariner is THE iconic tool watch, and if you have never owned one that is a powerful itch that needs scratching.
    I think that’s a fair point.

Craftsman

This! Absolutely bang on.

Also, I feel like a couple of the competitors are close in terms of their equivalent offering but many have a fatal flaw. I.e seamaster bracelet taper/bracelet arguably old fashioned…. Tudor BB 41mm and Pelagos quite thick… breitling superocean ETA movement and clasp doesn’t feel as luxury.. etc.

That being said, a seamaster on rubber for 1/3 or the grey market cost of a Sub is one hell of a proposition

Really its all about the itch, if you want a Submariner then a Seamaster, a Tudor or a Fifty Fathoms just isn't going to scratch the itch, it might ease it but at some point you'll more than likely trade and sell your way up to the Sub..

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    This! Absolutely bang on.

Also, I feel like a couple of the competitors are close in terms of their equivalent offering but many have a fatal flaw. I.e seamaster bracelet taper/bracelet arguably old fashioned…. Tudor BB 41mm and Pelagos quite thick… breitling superocean ETA movement and clasp doesn’t feel as luxury.. etc.

That being said, a seamaster on rubber for 1/3 or the grey market cost of a Sub is one hell of a proposition

Old fashioned - presumably unlike the Submariner which has retained the same aesthetic for decades
    At least the new model has a wider bracelet, one of my dislikes of my 16610 was that the bracelet looked too thin - so they went on to make the lugs even thicker on the 11610 to emphasise this feature.
    In terms of overall product quality I genuinely don’t think there are any significant differences between most of the watches in this price bracket - so it all comes down to the preference of the prospective owner.
    If you must have a Submariner or a Fifty Fathoms or a Seamaster any will in practice be as good as the others but only that one brand will scratch that itch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Old fashioned - presumably unlike the Submariner which has retained the same aesthetic for decades
    At least the new model has a wider bracelet, one of my dislikes of my 16610 was that the bracelet looked too thin - so they went on to make the lugs even thicker on the 11610 to emphasise this feature.
    In terms of overall product quality I genuinely don’t think there are any significant differences between most of the watches in this price bracket - so it all comes down to the preference of the prospective owner.
    If you must have a Submariner or a Fifty Fathoms or a Seamaster any will in practice be as good as the others but only that one brand will scratch that itch!

Fashion and age are two different things but I get your point.

I don’t think there’s a gulf in quality, but I do think the latest iteration doesn’t have many design flaws

Master
    FTFY

“We’ve played a big part in making it impossible to buy a Submariner at list and we’re now working on doing the same with other brands.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    FTFY

“We’ve played a big part in making it impossible to buy a Submariner at list and we’re now working on doing the same with other brands.”
    Not sure how that stacks up to be honest. If Subs were easily available at list nobody would be able to sell at over list. I think the demand created the sellers, rather than the other way round.

I’m fortunate enough to have scratched the Sub itch, having owned a 5513 for the best part of 2 decades, along with various Seamasters. Have taken a bit of a back seat on Watch collecting for the past few years and now, when I’m in position to re enter, the market and entry price of Rolex and Subs in particular has moved on disproportionately so, for me, the juice is in viable alternatives at lower price points so kinda get the marketing angle to a certain extent. So many great options for diver tool watches though from Seiko through Marathon, Damasko, Sinn and Omega which is part of the fun and debate therein.

Fashion and age are two different things but I get your point.

I don’t think there’s a gulf in quality, but I do think the latest iteration doesn’t have many design flaws

I think they have certainly improved the look of the new model by slimming down the lugs but I’m not a fan of 21mm lugs and, if it’s the same interlocking end link design as on the other models, think it looks really ugly on anything other than the original bracelet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

But that’s just the result of Rolex’s usual blend of advertising, not quite accurate copy and astute product placement. The sub wasn’t the first, back in the day it certainly wasn’t the best and it brings nothing to the table that wasn’t offered by others. In short, it is only hype that there is no alternative. Reality offers a bit more choice to anyone with a real interest in watches.

Craftsman
    I think they have certainly improved the look of the new model by slimming down the lugs but I’m not a fan of 21mm lugs and, if it’s the same interlocking end link design as on the other models, think it looks really ugly on anything other than the original bracelet.

It’s not a strap monster that’s for sure but other watches can fill that void. I don’t really have any skin in the game as I don’t currently have a sub but I can see why many people see it as the icon that it is

I don't think it's time to leave it behind as it's a fantastic watch. I had a Tudor black bay, and sold it to buy a sub. I no longer have the sub as I had a revamp in my collection and my tool watch is now a Pelagos which is also a great watch. Part of my difficulty with the sub is I wanted to wear the hell out of it, and I know it can stand up to that, but it seemed like bashing around with almost 9K worth of watch on my wrist was awkward to me.
    That said-I would love to own one again, and if I was only ever allowed one watch then it would likely be the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Bag yourself something...does it for me, more amuses me really...you're spending some money/ or via credit, on an item with an online retailer, a watch in this case... Not heading off to the forest, high seas or savannah hunting for big game.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd December 2021 at 10:33.

Master
    Leave the Mariner behind by all means but just remember it's sought after for a reason - it's an icon and the best. If you want to wear an icon, stay with the Mariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Leave the Mariner behind by all means but just remember it's sought after for a reason - it's an icon and the best. If you want to wear an icon, stay with the Mariner.
    In the hierarchy of the sea I may be wrong but isn’t the Master senior to the Mariner.

In the hierarchy of the sea I may be wrong but isn’t the Master senior to the Mariner.

No, that is the Dweller. A lesser known but far more senior rank than both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    The 41MM no date is the best yet, a total stunner of a watch, now better more classic looks than the (Maxi mistake) and thinner, add in anti reflective now on the inside, add in the glide lock and the taper, what's not to like.

Lets all the chavs keep buying two tones, the 41MM no date is THE watch, just happy I got the call pre the 10% rise on there next month.

SS sports models are here for ever, the two tones will die in 2023/24 imo.

What can Rolex do now ! the 41mm Sub is now perfect !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its time to leave Chanel behind, we've got some great Micheal Korrs handbags for you.
    Last edited by verv; 23rd December 2021 at 13:06.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I chose a speedie pro over a Kermit at list a long time ago and financially silly but I still wear the omega. I really wasn’t that taken with the sub.

Fast forward a decade or so and I realised I wanted one and got a maxi no date after lots of AD effort and haven’t looked back. It always looks and feels right and honestly having tried a bb58 there’s something Betamax/GoBots about most of the alternative options.

I got a 41ND this year and, maybe I’m in the minority, but I prefer the 40 for wearability. The AR and design balance is ace on the new one but the thicker bracelet is less comfortable. Either way the sub is still the daddy IMO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Misses the point that it’s not a watch that keeps perfect time or goes underwater that most buyers want, they just want a Rolex. Stick the Rolex name and crown on any of these perfectly good alternatives and there would be a waiting list straight away and they would trade well over retail. It’s all in the name at the moment.

This ^

The sub is an iconic watch though . Regardless of the name imo its just a great looking watch. For me i dont need all the colours, just black please.

This thread itself is a testament to the fact that we can’t leave Submariner behind.
    How will so many people survive without having an opportunity to let us know again and again that it is not a special watch, was not first at anything, it is all marketing and product placement and it is not about the watch but about Rolex.
    If there was no Submariner these poor souls may not survive or have anything to talk about.

It’s not a strap monster that’s for sure but other watches can fill that void. I don’t really have any skin in the game as I don’t currently have a sub but I can see why many people see it as the icon that it is

Like yourself I’ve no skin left in the game; I had a v-serial 16610 for quite a few years but found I was wearing my SMP as it was more comfortable for me and kept better time.
    Following a bad experience with the RSC I flipped it in 2018 - still no regrets!