closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The absolutely best NATO money can buy…

I am a big fan of Erika's Originals but I also really like the Haveston mentioned in a previous post. Inexpensive but very comfortable and smart looking.

Master
    Has any one tried NDC straps on etsy ?(whatever that is)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/NDCstraps

Also I would like some bead blasted NATOs (like the TF ones) but don’t want to clog up the shop for a couple of straps. Anyone know where I can get any?

Apologies if this has already been discussed…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

Also I would like some bead blasted NATOs (like the TF ones) but don’t want to clog up the shop for a couple of straps. Anyone know where I can get any?

I have an NDC strap, made of the original 20mm elastic used to secure the covers on reserve parachutes in French service. NDC stands for Nageurs de Combat (combat swimmers), French navy frogmen. The strap is nice quality, very good quality hardware but the strap is one of the original design, with the open ended straps, that puts some people off. It doesn't bother me unduly, the friction holds the ends in nicely. The story goes that in the 50s / 60s the issue Tudor watches were supplied head only so the guys used the elastic from the parachute covers to make straps.

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/oREXx2J.jpg
    French main (left) & reserve (right). Once used, the elastic holding the reserve chute cover in place is repurposed for watch straps as it handily measures 20mm.

Master
    Thanks for taking the time to post that Speedy.

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/gwYliZm.jpg
    No drama, happy to help. Here's a picture of the clasp. The strap comes with a hook at one end, where 2 straps are stitched together, the 2 straps run free thereafter. You slide the top one through the watch bars then bring the 2 straps together and push them through the metal piece. Place the strap on the wrist, fix the hook into the eye & set it so it's comfortable.
    The "eye" looks like a letterbox & with both straps pushed through plus the hook (which is a substantial piece of metal) friction holds the whole thing in place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/gwYliZm.jpg
    No drama, happy to help. Here's a picture of the clasp. The strap comes with a hook at one end, where 2 straps are stitched together, the 2 straps run free thereafter. You slide the top one through the watch bars then bring the 2 straps together and push them through the metal piece. Place the strap on the wrist, fix the hook into the eye & set it so it's comfortable.
    The "eye" looks like a letterbox & with both straps pushed through plus the hook (which is a substantial piece of metal) friction holds the whole thing in place.
    V helpful, thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    👍🏼 Makes sense

The absolutely best NATO money can buy…

I recently tried an NDC and was pretty underwhelmed. Out of all the elastic types I’ve had (erikas/mankey/cheapo), found it pretty uncomfortable and expensive for what it was. Unless you are dead set on the military provenance & the original parachute elastic angle, I’d find it a hard sell tbh.

My favourite NATO have always been from Timefactors, closely followed by the ribbed ones from cheapestnatostraps. For something a bit different, the haveston canvas that have already been mentioned are excellent
    Last edited by enndriz; 2nd January 2022 at 21:02.

For the expensive price Phenom were about the nicest I’ve bought - significantly cheaper than Omega, but I foolishly have lots of those too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Morning all,

Been a long time since I posted on here.
    Reading this thread, I went over and had a look at the NATO's on timefactors.
    There's a couple on there that I want, but I can't seem to be able to buy any, because there's no button showing to put them in the basket?

Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Robbo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobboMedic View Post
    Morning all,

Been a long time since I posted on here.
    Reading this thread, I went over and had a look at the NATO's on timefactors.
    There's a couple on there that I want, but I can't seem to be able to buy any, because there's no button showing to put them in the basket?

Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Robbo
    The shop is part time opening for a limited number of orders unfortunately. (Usually on a Sunday) I’m after some NATOs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I recently tried an NDC and was pretty underwhelmed. Out of all the elastic types I’ve had (erikas/mankey/cheapo), found it pretty uncomfortable and expensive for what it was. Unless you are dead set on the military provenance & the original parachute elastic angle, I’d find it a hard sell tbh.

My favourite NATO have always been from Timefactors, closely followed by the ribbed ones from cheapestnatostraps. For something a bit different, the haveston canvas that have already been mentioned are excellent
    Thanks very much

Master
    [QUOTE=Ghost Chilli;5906385]The shop is part time opening for a limited number of orders unfortunately. (Usually on a Sunday) I’m after some NATOs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers...
    I'll have a look again over the next few days.

Master
    I got a black zuludiver NATO with bronze hardware for my black bay bronze and it is a superb match. Only £5 in their sale also.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobboMedic View Post

Cheers...
    I'll have a look again over the next few days.

Probably best if you register to receive emails - you'll then be alerted as to when the shop is next open (for 5 minutes ).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Apprentice
    Posted this on the Military forum but my new favorite (almost) NATO.
    According to his site, A.F 0210 straps, the VB Hygienique was the first NATO strap produced after the commencement of WW2.
    I have a few of his straps and really like them. He (Rob Fraser) makes near perfect reissues of iconic military straps.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Posted this on the Military forum but my new favorite (almost) NATO.
    According to his site, A.F 0210 straps, the VB Hygienique was the first NATO strap produced after the commencement of WW2.
    I have a few of his straps and really like them. He (Rob Fraser) makes near perfect reissues of iconic military straps.

Its the nicest looking nato strap I have seen by a mile from your image. How thick is it?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Its the nicest looking nato strap I have seen by a mile from your image. How thick is it?
    Thanks.
    It is a bit thicker than a standard NATO. Probably closer to a ZULU (if that makes any sense).
    The thing I like most is that it will fit most sizes of wrist as it is adjustable at the buckle also. I have a 6.5" wrist an can adjust it exactly the way I like it. I forgot to mention that, for now, it is only available it 16mm and 18mm but as you can see, it fits nicely on the CWC Diver with 20mm lugs. Looks like the 18mm is sold out. He does make a few other straps in 20mm though.

Craftsman
    I haven’t tried one but these look fantastic from Jean Rousseau. Pricey though

https://www.jean-rousseau.com/gb/pro...ps-gb/nato-gb/

I’m tempted to have one made for my Fifty Fathoms. I tried the Blancpain nato in the boutique but the fit was bad for me, even though the quality was far beyond omega (which are the best I’ve personally owned)

Journeyman
    I like the timefactors ones, just wish I didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night to order one. The braided natos in particular are quite comfortable. Crown and Buckle also make some nice ones - I like the supreme and matte supreme.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    By far the best I've ever worn, still wearing almost daily after a couple of years, very simular material to the Omega Nato's imo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203215961858

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk
    Well, mine arrived and I’ve given it a go. Similar material to the ZuluDiver seatbelt material but not as well finished. In fact the finishing is awful…

That being said, it’s comfortable and for the price it’s very good value for money. Not even remotely close to Omega standards, though. So a decent enough strap for the money (and I’ll definitely wear it) but a long way from being the best money can buy.

Well for sure the Nato on my ZRC that arrived is now the best I've had and better than Omega and Erikas originals. The issue is it has a unique attachment end piece as you can see from 1st pic and a replacement Nato is an eye watering £225!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    Well, mine arrived and I’ve given it a go. Similar material to the ZuluDiver seatbelt material but not as well finished. In fact the finishing is awful…

That being said, it’s comfortable and for the price it’s very good value for money. Not even remotely close to Omega standards, though. So a decent enough strap for the money (and I’ll definitely wear it) but a long way from being the best money can buy.
    Just got mine and while I agree at 10% of omega price, it's no omega, I'm not seeing the finishing as awful. Now my attention to detail is probably well below yours but what is your most noted problem with the finishing? :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    By far the best I've ever worn, still wearing almost daily after a couple of years, very simular material to the Omega Nato's imo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203215961858

Whilst not a nato, I've just recieved a tropic rubber from this seller and I'm distinctly unimpressed with it, even for the princely sum of £12.

The strap is noticeably not the listed 20mm width (it actually measures 19mm at the lugs) so there's a bit of a gap when mounted. On my 7" wrist I'm on the third hole from the end so this will definitely not suit people with much larger wrists. Lastly, the pin-part of the buckle is pretty flimsy and wants to go through the outer rows of holes rather than the centre ones when I secure it.

Unlike other straps I've bought from UK sellers (on eBay or their own shops and a variety of single pass-types) the buckle on this one is plain with no branding, making me suspect these were bought cheaply off of AliExpress in bulk and marked up in cost.

I'm just glad I didn't opt to buy any other straps from this seller and won't be in the future!
    Last edited by andy100; 7th January 2022 at 21:18. Reason: Edited wrist size (seems my wrist has thickened over lockdown)

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Just got mine and while I agree at 10% of omega price, it's no omega, I'm not seeing the finishing as awful. Now my attention to detail is probably well below yours but what is your most noted problem with the finishing? :-)

If only I could achieve those levels of diplomacy day to day. 😂

Er, sorry.

Nobody has mentioned Bulang and sons. I ordered a couple from them. They look good. Will update when I receive it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post

Er, sorry.
    No diplomacy intended, I'm just curious about what flaws I'm not seeing. I'm aware of my seeing limitations!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Tudor use some ancient weavers' looms or something. All very expensive, no doubt ;-)

Personally, I think Phenomenato are the best and also very reasonably priced.
    Yes, Julien Faure. They’re very nice indeed….and expensive.

I’m currently trying an Archer Straps 2 piece nato. So far I’m very impressed with it, very comfortable, nice fabric, and enough holes to even fit my tiny wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post

Er, sorry.
    No diplomacy needed - I think you’ve taken my criticism the wrong way. For the price I think it’s very good and it’s in use on my PO. I think I read your original post wrong and assumed you’d compared it favourably with an Omega NATO when your comparison was with the material, rather than overall - so my mistake.

As for the attention to detail and finishing, well I’m certainly being too harsh at the price point - it’s actually better than most £10 jobbies. But as we’re looking for the best NATO here then I’d say the burnt, melted plastic is the worst part as you can see the brown burn against the cream. The end is also frayed slightly and just a bit rough. Hard to show in photos but the second is versus an Omega NATO. Genuinely though, I’m pleased with your recommendation - thanks.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I seem to be on a perennial hunt for Maratac Zulus!
    Hi Tony.

I ordered directly from COUNTYCOMM. countycomm.com

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi Tony.

I ordered directly from COUNTYCOMM. countycomm.com
    Hi matey, and thanks for that. I used to buy them from Howard Marks at westcoastime.com, and recall countycomm.com suspending shipping to the UK for quite some time. Anway, thanks for pointing me in their direction as I've just ordered half a dozen from them!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hi matey, and thanks for that. I used to buy them from Howard Marks at westcoastime.com, and recall countycomm.com suspending shipping to the UK for quite some time. Anway, thanks for pointing me in their direction as I've just ordered half a dozen from them!
    Cheers Tony. They have some interesting items on the website.

Master
    No diplomacy needed - I think you’ve taken my criticism the wrong way. For the price I think it’s very good and it’s in use on my PO. I think I read your original post wrong and assumed you’d compared it favourably with an Omega NATO when your comparison was with the material, rather than overall - so my mistake.

As for the attention to detail and finishing, well I’m certainly being too harsh at the price point - it’s actually better than most £10 jobbies. But as we’re looking for the best NATO here then I’d say the burnt, melted plastic is the worst part as you can see the brown burn against the cream. The end is also frayed slightly and just a bit rough. Hard to show in photos but the second is versus an Omega NATO. Genuinely though, I’m pleased with your recommendation - thanks.

Thanks for that. I'm going to have a look at mine again. It wasn't my initial recommendation, I was persuaded to buy myself after someone else's recommendation. :-)

Master
    I think it depends a lot on the watch. If it’s a Rolex, it has to be a Phoenix in my opinion. They’re certainly not the best quality, though I prefer them as they’re thin and don’t add to the height of a watch. And I also like how worn they get. Part of their charm for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think it depends a lot on the watch. If it’s a Rolex, it has to be a Phoenix in my opinion. They’re certainly not the best quality, though I prefer them as they’re thin and don’t add to the height of a watch. And I also like how worn they get. Part of their charm for me
    I have my first Phoenix and the more it wears the better it looks. As for a Rolex on a Phoenix, that remind me of Anthony Bourrdain saying serve 'a staggeringly expensive bottle of burgundy in cheap glasses to show your diners “who’s their daddy"'

Not strictly NATO, but I've been wearing this BP, alternating between a Haveston canvas and this Pinion canvas. It's a reasonable length, despite not being adjustable - you can see that the tail doesn't need to be tucked away. They also produce it in grey, and black, I think, all in 22mm, and I think (from memory) that they are only £25 from Pinion, direct.

Master

Jean Rousseau

How about a Jean Rousseau NATO? There are several Cordura colours, plus calf and even alligator (!) NATO straps.

https://www.jean-rousseau.com/gb/pro...ps-gb/nato-gb/

Master
    Has anyone found a similar NATO/MN to the Pelagos fxd, ie elastic with velcro?

I should imagine EO will bring one out very soon.

Master
    I think the FXD velcro strap is woven, but not elastic

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I believe Erika has already adapted her MN strap to allow it to be used on the FXD too (a keeper that can be removed to allow the strap to be threaded through the lugs if memory serves)

Master
    I have recently purchased a couple of NATO straps from the Duckworth watch range. Very nice straps imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I think the FXD velcro strap is woven, but not elastic

I believe Erika has already adapted her MN strap to allow it to be used on the FXD too (a keeper that can be removed to allow the strap to be threaded through the lugs if memory serves)
    Didn’t realise it wasn’t elastic, thanks for the info.

Master
    If money was no object I quite like this take on the No Time To Die NATO. Although finding a watch with wide enough lugs will be a struggle.

The absolutely best NATO money can buy…

There's only one answer to this these days, Seiko's "Seichu" straps. My SPB237 came with two, green and grey. I don;t think they sell them seperately yet but in the US they were offered as premium options, so $200 more than the rubber strapped versions and just below the price for a bracelet. Without doubt the very best fabric straps I've ever worn, by a mile, and the most comfortable too. For comparison my Omega Railmaster Trilogy came with an Omega NATO as one of the three strap choices....not even close to close to the Seichus.
    Seiko blurb here: https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/news/20210526
    And this is my QM on the grey one as I type this message.
    Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 4th February 2022 at 20:07.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Just got this from Adrian at B&J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whats the quality like?

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    whats the quality like?
    Really good, I’ve worn, washed mine and they’re still good as new.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Really good, I’ve worn, washed mine and they’re still good as new.

good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    There's only one answer to this these days, Seiko's "Seichu" straps. My SPB237 came with two, green and grey. I don;t think they sell them seperately yet but in the US they were offered as premium options, so $200 more than the rubber strapped versions and just below the price for a bracelet. Without doubt the very best fabric straps I've ever worn, by a mile, and the most comfortable too. For comparison my Omega Railmaster Trilogy came with an Omega NATO as one of the three strap choices....not even close to close to the Seichus.
    Seiko blurb here: https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/news/20210526
    And this is my QM on the grey one as I type this message.
    These look great and do see to be very well made. Are they much thicker than a regular nato? My only concern was that they would make the watch head sit very high. I was going to contact Seiko directly to see if they can be bought separately.

Its sort of turning into it but it would be good if we also had - The absolutely best NATO not a lot on money can buy!