closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The absolutely best NATO money can buy…

The absolutely best NATO money can buy…

Morning:

I know there have been similar threads before on NATOs but I am looking for the very premium offerings.

So what are the very best NATO straps from independents? From the manufacturers, I think Blancpain’s is the pinnacle, much nicer than Omega’s for example. But the BP is 23mm and eye wateringly expensive.

Does anyone know who manufactures the straps for BP assuming they are not in-house. Or anyone doing something similar quality wise?

Never seen a Blancpain nato, but speaking as someone who’s got 100+ straps I can say the best I’ve ever had are the Timefactors Deluxe.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 22nd December 2021 at 15:29.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I would say Omega are the best I have tried but stupidly expensive so can only imagine the price of Blancpain.

Master
    I always come back to standard Phoenix nato's - don't even bother trying the expensive ones these days...

Tudor use some ancient weavers' looms or something. All very expensive, no doubt ;-)

Personally, I think Phenomenato are the best and also very reasonably priced.

It’s hard to better Phoenix. They’re tried and tested, for donkeys, by the military in all manners of hot and cold dusty and dirty places. Omega may make prettier ones, but that sort of defeats the object.

Typed while wearing a Phoenix.

I always used to have Phoenix NATOs.
    I diversified into other ones, and noticed that the lengths were off (tail too long, not enough adjustent one way etc) or the buckle was a springbar one, or the layers were not welded.
    It made e realise how much could go wrong, even copying something simple. I return to the Phoenix ones a lot now, although I am also a big fan of Newmark ones for a single pull through.

Master
    I’ve been through a phase of trying a variety of NATO straps from OEM IWC/Panerai - both very nice but the leather lining on both of these means they are probably not suitable for water. Then the cheap and cheerful from watch obsession and Zulu. Zulu are probably the better of these 2 and just nylon construction means no issues with water. Then I came across Erika’s Originals (NATO with a twist) which are middle of the road pricing for what they are and they are by far the best for my needs out of the various NATO straps that I have tried.

Erikas Originals

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The CWC one's, best there are imo.

All aforementioned are good
    Best leather Natos- Bulang and Sons or Hodinkee

I'm biased but Zulu Alpha Straps are British made with British materials and are currently in use by military and first responders all over the world

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master

Phoenix day in,day out. I have Omega, TF, Zulu etc.... Always come back to Phoenix.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Doesn’t a high end nato sort of defeat the object of wearing a nato?

I take them to be an unapologetic, function-first watch fastening device which are sort of meant to be rough and hard-wearing. Silky, delicate or leather backed NATOs seem a bit pointless to me.

I’ll also say this: I don’t like them. Too scruffy, don’t even get me started on zulu straps and all those bits of metal hanging off you like a nylon charm bracelet.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Doesn’t a high end nato sort of defeat the object of wearing a nato?

I take them to be an unapologetic, function-first watch fastening device which are sort of meant to be rough and hard-wearing. Silky, delicate or leather backed NATOs seem a bit pointless to me.

I’ll also say this: I don’t like them. Too scruffy, don’t even get me started on zulu straps and all those bits of metal hanging off you like a nylon charm bracelet.
    Agree 100%, but it seems we're in a minority thesedays on here.

Who wants to be smart all the time? - or ever in my case.
    Give me a bit of tatty bit nylon any day. By far the most comfortable type of watch strap in my opinion. Expensive bits of nylon are daft through (I own 2 and I am daft) Phoenix are the best on the market in terms of quality and price

I personally really like Bark and Jack natos, perfect length for me and the quality is definitely there without being too fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I personally really like Bark and Jack natos, perfect length for me and the quality is definitely there without being too fancy.

Another vote for Bark & Jack, very good quality strap, nicely done hardware, fast delivery. Otherwise I go to Silverman's for the real thing. I have the beautifully made OEM Omega that came with my Moonwatch but I very seldom wear it as the fit's all wrong. The buckle is centred rather than offset so there is only a tiny "tail" of material & it really ought to be long enough to double back through both keepers. It's the same length as other which do this so it must be down to the positioning of the buckle...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I always come back to standard Phoenix nato's - don't even bother trying the expensive ones these days...
    Likewise. Still the only one that gets admiralty grey anything close to right. TF NATOs are objectively better, but the TF grey has always been all over the place. Why is this apparently so difficult to get right, and to get consistently right?

I’ve not handled a Blancpain, but my experience of Omega’s is that their NATOs are in a completely different to class to anyone else’s. Money no object, they’re the best IMO.

Master
    Omega's are really nice, but 200 Euros does defeat the purpose of a simple canvas strap for me.

Master
    I've only owned cheaper NATO's so don't have a recommendation for the OP. The one thing I have noticed about Phoenix, is although they are stiff, scratchy, with cheap hardware, they fade and wear very nicely and the retaining straps seems to fit very exactly and snugly around a CWC diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Likewise. Still the only one that gets admiralty grey anything close to right. TF NATOs are objectively better, but the TF grey has always been all over the place. Why is this apparently so difficult to get right, and to get consistently right?
    100%
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 23rd December 2021 at 22:11.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just got this from Adrian at B&J

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Phoenix day in,day out. I have Omega, TF, Zulu etc.... Always come back to Phoenix.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    I want to like the Phoenix but they are the worst of all the NATOs I’ve tried - and I’ve tried a lot! - mostly for fraying and looking scrappy in no time at all. The CWC versions look almost exactly the same but don’t self destruct and generally look better for longer. As others have said the idea of a luxury NATO makes no sense to me. Tbh I think they’re all more Milletts camping shop than cool - and many are too short for my 9 3/4 inch wrists so not all that practical for me either. Plus they stay damp for ages and stretch when wet. I’m convinced they are mostly popular because they often look brilliant in photos and I’ve bought many to try and emulate a look - but in real life and on my wrist - nope, horrible. YMMV of course!

Craftsman
    Another vote for Timefactors Delux from me.

With 6.5” wrist I prefer NATOs over (almost) any strap/bracelet. Exceptions would include the titanium bracelet on my first issue Promaster Tough (that replaced the Kevlar) and the Explorer bracelet.

The title is the best money can buy, but I can’t help thinking of NATOs as the best you can buy for your money, for me the difference in quality Nato straps can be minuscule but the price difference huge.

So on that my choice is Timefactors, think I paid just under a tenner for what is a very well made Nato with solid brushed steel hardware, after owning this strap there is no way I would chuck hundreds at an Omega or even anything priced above £30..

Master
    Phoenix. My Mrs wears one daily and to my mind it’s better than anything else. Over the last 7 years or so she’s only on her 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I want to like the Phoenix but they are the worst of all the NATOs I’ve tried - and I’ve tried a lot! - mostly for fraying and looking scrappy in no time at all. The CWC versions look almost exactly the same but don’t self destruct and generally look better for longer. As others have said the idea of a luxury NATO makes no sense to me. Tbh I think they’re all more Milletts camping shop than cool - and many are too short for my 9 3/4 inch wrists so not all that practical for me either. Plus they stay damp for ages and stretch when wet. I’m convinced they are mostly popular because they often look brilliant in photos and I’ve bought many to try and emulate a look - but in real life and on my wrist - nope, horrible. YMMV of course!

9 3/4 wrist??? I feel very inadequate

Journeyman
    I would say Erika’s as well they are very comfortable and don’t wear out I have had one on the go for 3 years and it is still in great shape.

Master

Maratac natos are very good.

Horrible things.
    I have a drawer full that never get used.
    Ugly and cheap looking
    Buying an expensive one is just lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Maratac natos are very good.
    I seem to be on a perennial hunt for Maratac Zulus!

The ribbed Nato from cheap nato straps.com gets my vote!
    Very similar to the since discontinued natos from RRL ..

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The one thing I have noticed about Phoenix, is although they are stiff, scratchy, with cheap hardware, they fade and wear very nicely…
    As an aside, last year I happened upon an unmolested old 5513 on a very tatty Phoenix NATO in the window of one of the dealers in the Argyll Arcade. Pure class. Who’d have a ghastly-Mick-P-new-money Rolex over that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Horrible things.
    I have a drawer full that never get used.
    Ugly and cheap looking
    Buying an expensive one is just lipstick on a pig.
    Perfect for the fundraiser

In my experience the CWC NATO is the best value you can get.

Watchobsession seat belt natos are the best I’ve found for price v quality.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Used to like them, but makes the watch sit a little too high on the wrist I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ. View Post
    Used to like them, but makes the watch sit a little too high on the wrist I think.
    Agree

I always modify mine to single pass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Agree

I always modify mine to single pass.

Me too - Crown & Buckle Chevron are my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Me too - Crown & Buckle Chevron are my choice.
    How much extra do you usually get charged with customs/parcel force fees etc, when ordering one of these? Really like the look of them.

Another vote for C&B Chevron straps, but I can't remember the duty last time I ordered, sorry! A WTB might throw one up, or I might have a 20mm spare if you shoot me a PM.

Not NATOs, but I like the Haveston canvas straps more than most other fabric straps.

- - - Updated - - -

Another vote for C&B Chevron straps, but I can't remember the duty last time I ordered, sorry! A WTB might throw one up, or I might have a 20mm spare if you shoot me a PM.

Not NATOs, but I like the Haveston canvas straps more than most other fabric straps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    How much extra do you usually get charged with customs/parcel force fees etc, when ordering one of these? Really like the look of them.
    I have a few of them (grey, black, green etc), but have only ever picked them up from the forum or ebay, so never had to deal with duty.
    Just need to find a 20mm dark blue (Midnight) one & I have all bases covered!

Superb straps - well made, adjustable, very nice colours/texture and great hardware that is brushed on top & polished on the sides.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

- - - Updated - - -

never see these before. Looks unique, really like it

It’s not going to satisfy those who specifically want a fabric nato but i find the watch gecko rubber more comfortable. More versatile and durable too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    In my experience the CWC NATO is the best value you can get.

I agree with this.

Unless the watch has fixed bars, there are far better options. I recently got an 18mm CWC strap for my G10, and it’s pretty good, as far as these straps go.

Dave

Master
    By far the best I've ever worn, still wearing almost daily after a couple of years, very simular material to the Omega Nato's imo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203215961858

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    By far the best I've ever worn, still wearing almost daily after a couple of years, very simular material to the Omega Nato's imo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203215961858

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk
    Ta, just bought one of their no time to die NATO's. I'll feedback when received.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Ta, just bought one of their no time to die NATO's. I'll feedback when received.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just ordered one as well.

Bold claim saying it’s as good as an Omega NATO as they’re head and shoulders above anything else I’ve owned.

I do like Erikas Originals as well as they’re just that little bit smarter and don’t have the doubled back strap and loop at the 12 o clock position. And they don’t sit as high.