closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you remember the first pint you bought ?

Do you remember the first pint you bought ?

I don't mean the first pint you drank I mean the first pint you actually went up to the bar and bought with your own money.

I left school at 15 (1964) which meant I was a man and now knew everything :(

I was an apprentice engineer and earned £2/8s a week for 40 hrs, the 8s went to the government and £1 to my dad which left me with £1 all to myself :)

My girlfriends (now my wife) dad had contacts at the local working mans club (The Dunc) and he arranged for me to become a member at 15 and a few months and the night I joined I bought him and myself a pint, Ansells I think and if I remember right it was something like 1s 5d a pint, I could now play darts, snooker, cards and was a man !!! :)

I haven't drank for years apart from 5 or 6 pints a year that I feel I should drink when on holiday etc if I remember, alcohol doesn't really do anything for me.
    Last edited by TheTigerUK; 22nd December 2021 at 16:10.

Youngers Tartan, 19p/ pint. Old Manse Hotel. Bourton on the Water.

Old Speckled Hen from the Crown and Cushion, Waterloo.
    I loved that pub. They were very pragmatic about underage drinking, knowing full well if they didn't serve, we'd be in the park with much stronger stuff. They let us use the basement, and would never over serve.

Pint of Waddies 6X around 1988 , Foxham Inn Wiltshire- 80p if I remember correctly.

Master
    No I don’t remember

Master
    School mates and I used to drink a cheap, nasty (and warm!) IPA in a top floor snooker club when we were 15. No idea what brand, it was pretty disgusting and a right old man's drink but we thought we were the bollocks with a pint of beer.

First legal drink was actually Metz. 50p a bottle (this would have been 1999) and I drank so much I went home and got in my parents bed (with them in it).

I'd been competing in an athletics meeting.
    On the way back, (16yrs old and in uniform) we stopped at the Durham Ox in Northallerton. My training Inspector knew the licensee (although it was closed), and we all went in and bought a pint. That was my first beer, can't say I enjoyed it🍺😐

14 years old, bought two pints in a proper pub for me and a friend that’s now been replaced by the entrance to an M&S store :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    1974 and the barman refused me, I was 16, wanting to play bar billiards, don't knock over the black pin, and didn't go back until I was 18. Now, good wine and a very occasional pint.

Master
    It was a pint of Exhibition at a pub in Hartlepool called the Woodcutter. About 35p, I think.

Master
    At sea drydocked in Singapore at 16 years old. Myself and a mate went drinking ashore and had a large bottle of Tiger beer each. Followed by a few more and was sick as a pig that night and the next morning.

The Greyhound (known as 'The Dog') in Pontllanfraith at 15 years old.
    My tipple was Tennants Extra, two of them and I was bladdered and spent out.
    Always good bands in there on Mondays and Wednesdays, The Racing Cars and the like and was an immense influence on my life long love of music (you could say instrumental, ahem).
    Ironically and sadly it is now a vetinary practice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A half of mild at the Plough and Harrow in Warfield. Looking at the internet, it is largely unchanged. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    It was a pint of Exhibition at a pub in Hartlepool called the Woodcutter. About 35p, I think.
    Sadly now demolished. Me and my mate spent many pleasant hours in the Woodcutter in Hartlepool, in later years they had a regular crowd in for weekends with three or four bands on. Saw an amazing Rory Gallagher tribute band called Sinnerboy (who are still on the go).

My first paid-for pint was in The Grange Hotel in Hartlepool with a bunch of lads. The landlord must have known we were all under 18 but he served us with pints of Cameron's Strongarm (probs around 65p a pint) until we got loud and gobby from our first beers and he said we had to leave. Fun days looking back, much simpler times in the early Eighties.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    As a 16yr old me and my mate managed to buy 2 pints of Hofmeister lager and sat in the corner of The Baccy jar for our first real pint. After some 10min, in walked my mates mother who was the barmaid on a different night (hence why we went in that night) and promptly put us out the door on our arses.
    Brilliant memories of our first pint 🍻

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Sadly now demolished. Me and my mate spent many pleasant hours in the Woodcutter in Hartlepool, in later years they had a regular crowd in for weekends with three or four bands on. Saw an amazing Rory Gallagher tribute band called Sinnerboy (who are still on the go).

My first paid-for pint was in The Grange Hotel in Hartlepool with a bunch of lads. The landlord must have known we were all under 18 but he served us with pints of Cameron's Strongarm (probs around 65p a pint) until we got loud and gobby from our first beers and he said we had to leave. Fun days looking back, much simpler times in the early Eighties.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Ah yes the Grange, I often used to go there in the late '70s. Now 'Loons' I believe. But my favourite pub was the Coble Bar, under the Grand Hotel a bit further along. Happy days.

16 years old with a bum fluff goatee at the winchmore arms in winchmore hill.

A pint of St. Austell 4X (would be called mild nowadays) in iirc the First & Last inTorpoint, after playing cricket for Cornwall Schools using iirc HMS Raleigh sports ground. 2/-. Hated it. Had to work hard to develop my liking for the stuff. Most of the team was with me. 1965ish.

Green King IPA followed by Glenmorangie’s with my Dad back in 1984!

Ended up in a punch swinging stagger across the village green. Roast was ruined, mother was in tears and I promptly went to bed.

Following morning my dad proclaimed, I too didn’t fair well with the combo much like himself. Been a family tradition ever since.

Yep. Aged 15, went night fishing on the Thames at Bourne end with a few of the lads, suitably lubricated with offy purchased beers, we left our tent and fishing gear and walked to the spade oak pub, I walked in and ordered 4 pints of Murphy's and a fosters. The look on their faces when I came out with a tray of beers. We got the train to that pub most weekends for a year until we built up the courage to try our local

Pint of black label lager I think 79p woodlands club

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought my first pint in May 1994 the weekend after John Smith had died, so bought a pint of his namesake out of respect at a pub called the Pilot in Mumbles (Swansea).

Age 16. A pint of Trumans bitter in the Top Alex, Southend. Circa 50p iirc.

There was a story going round that someone's underage but older looking mate was refused when he went to the bar and asked for "two pints of beer please".

Master
    I was an apprentice toolmaker at the age of 16 back in 1964 and one perk was that for one or two days a year apprentices could buy cheap beer or any other booze in the company social club.

We all used to drink the scrumpy and I asked how many pints it took to get pissed. Someone yelled out 20 pints so I guzzled 4 pints and went off my head. I puked up over my clothes, staggered home and couldn't even get the key in the keyhole. My father went ballistic but later took pity on me.

I couldn't touch cider for about 10 years after that episode but now I enjoy it.

No.​..

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No.​..
    WHY on earth do you bother ??

Do you remember the first pint you bought ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    WHY on earth do you bother ??
    And you?

Master
    18th birthday, Bulls Head Raventhorpe,1986, by this time i have graduated from the shovel to the hod and was earning a 12.50 a day in the week and double on a weekend, Paid 76p for a pint of larger. Driving lessons were 7.50 and hour in a B red Fiesta and a terraced house of a good size with no parking and needing a bit of work was £7k.

Blog Entries
    A pint of Ansells mild in 1965 when I was 14. I had just started my first Saturday job at a local Grocers called Wrensons and there was a 18 year old bird on the till with big **** that I fancied rotten! One lunchtime I asked if she fancied nipping to the pub next door for a quick drink and she said yes, so off we went. Brazened up to the bar and ordered my pint and a G&T for madam and was quite surprised that I was served, anyway we had the drinks and went back to the shop and we were both called into the managers office, I got bollocked for drinking under age and smelling of beer in the shop and she got bollocked for taking the piss out of a new Saturday lad (earning 12/6d a day) by asking for a 1/6d G&T! Was it worth the expenditure? No, she subsequently made it quite clear that she was not having any of it! Early lessons in very different times!
    Last edited by KavKav; 22nd December 2021 at 08:58.

Master
    Ansells mild for me as well 1967 in the grove inn coalbrookdale I was 15 and just started down the pit on an engineering indentured apprenticeship the pint was around a shilling if memory serves me correct.

It was in the Brook Green Hotel Hammersmith
    I was about 15, (1995) sitting with my Father and Grandfather, I had been drinking odd half of Guinness for a year or so when allowed and my Grandfather turned to me and said “go on get your belly up to the counter” so up I walked (I was 6-2 and about 14 stone) ordered the drinks and the bar man asked if I wanted a double for my grandfather’s whiskey. I turned around and said “grandad double”? The barman looked at me and said “f**king grandad “! He still served me though.
    A few weeks later a mate and I (he was 6-5 and 16 stone) went to the pub at the end of the road one Friday lunch time, we had double art in the afternoon and figured it would not matter. We stuffed our school blazers and ties in our bags and walked in, straight up to the bar. “2 pints of Guinness please” I turned around whilst taking a sip and all the teachers were sitting in the corner watching us…
    The rugby master kicked us out - he did buy a pint a few days later after a game though.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd December 2021 at 09:30.

A pint of mild in the tap room of the Moulder's Arms Waterfoot Lancs. 1975 15 years old. It probably cost around 20p
    Amazing how I got served really. I didn't look 18 until I was about 22
    Last edited by vRSG60; 22nd December 2021 at 09:37.

16yrs old, at the Williamwood Golf Course clubhouse on Glasgow’s south side. Youngers Tartan Special, and cheap - of course.

I had to rack my brains on this one and I'm pretty sure it was a school trip to Graiguenamanagh in one of the 14 pubs in a very small town. A bunch of us had found one with a pool table and were quiet and well-behaved - I've no idea where any of the teachers were. I must have been about 15 but looked 11 or 12 but then licencing laws in rural Ireland have always been advisory.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

14, pub in the village either the Woolpack, Lion or the Oak can't recall which now, pint of Batemans Bitter, not the first I'd supped either in the pub or other context...wasn't such a big deal tbh by 15 I was working in the Brewery for a Summer job and had access to the Allowance barrel or better yet if on the wagons as a drayman, many of the pubs back then offered you a free pint after the drops...My first drunken mini binge I was 8 or 9 iirc, Christmas Day and they'd let me have a couple of drinks with lunch, and I'd mine swept a few more... Vividly remember being walked around the field next door, by my Dad and Uncle to sober up, falling to my knees to spew on the frosty ground, Dad saying with a chuckle 'get it up boy you'll feel better for it' and 'you'll learn'...Certainly learnt to hold onto it better. Happy Christmas memories.

Master
    We had a neighbouring village with a half blind landlord where we could get served at 15/16. Started off just 4 of us and before long before more from school would commute there on a weekend :) we had the quiet end of the pub with pool table and juke box all to ourselves.

1969 I was a 16y/o, kicking 17. A couple of pints of Tennents in the Penny Farthing in Cathcart Road in Glasgow, along with an older mate for courage.

I remember you could buy 10 pints for £1.00 - 2 bob each! It went up drastically shortly after that to a staggering 2/6p a pint - only 8 to the £1.00 note!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think around 1968 in the Rising Sun, Spa Hill, Upper Norwood, London.

Light and Bitter 2/4d.

Apparently being turned into flats now.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Brown and Mild - 1shilling and 10d - Royal Oak - Hayes

Light and Keg at 1s/9d a pint following a "dance" in the village hall.
    An awful combination that was very popular at that time.

Pint of Screwtop in the Beer Bar, Men's Union, Glasgow University. 1/11d IIRC, so was 1970.

A pint of Roses bitter in the Allotment Owners Club, (affectionately known as The Cabbage), cost 1/9d. A cracking pint.

I remember being on a training course in Coventry. A group of us went out for an evening and I went up to the bar to order the first round and was refused by the landlord for being under age! The two annoying things from that episode were a) I was the only one in the group who was 18, and b) I was only drinking Milk as I was on a months abstinence from beer!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I imagine the first was probably some Everards Original at the Horse and Trumpet. I say this as for years afterwards the smell/taste was associated with throwing up so probably about right. Same with cider in fact! A greater memory in this vein was a Sixth form trip to the Science Museum in the early 80s. Three of us walked straight through the Science museum and out through the National History (when they were connected) and ended up in a pub at Marble Arch. Then appeared back for some chill music and lasers in the Planetarium.

Can't say I do, but I do remember buying my first 'legal' pint as I was worried I'd be refused.

It was a Pint of Stella Artois and I wasn't questioned

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

It wasn't a pint.

It was several

Master
    Probably in the Hammersmith Palais in 1977....... and it was probably watered down to hell

I would have been 14 at the time, so it would have got me wide eyed and legless anyway

Prettt sure it was a pint of Carling in The Shamrock, Pudsey. Would have been my first month in the Sixth Form, so Sept 1995.

Happy days!

Think the pub is now some grotty flats.

hansons mild (bought out by banks brewery iirc) would have been around 1983/4 - dont drink that often anymore but current local favourite is holdens golden glow.

https://www.holdensbrewery.co.uk/shop-online/

Not a pint as such, but first drinks I bought were two bottles of Holstein Pills in the Coach and Eight in Durham City Centre.

Age 16, 1981...The Rhubarb Tavern, Barton Hill, Bristol...a brown split.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk