closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casio GW5000-1JF to GW5000U-1JF

Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    No VAT removed but from comments I have read they pay this so no import duties or fees when delivered but we will see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, and ordered!

And more temptation😂 - i do like the new version though !

Bought mine yesterday from Spain and it is out for delivery today! Incredible turn around.

According to the website it is VAT paid £189. However if not, it’s still a cracker of a deal.

Hopefully I am here when it lands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Bought mine yesterday from Spain and it is out for delivery today! Incredible turn around.

According to the website it is VAT paid £189. However if not, it’s still a cracker of a deal.

Which shop if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    The one you suggested yesterday but the post seemed to disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I think it's linked above, I must admit very tempting...

https://www.tictacarea.com/en/...hes...k-gw-5000u-1er

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Do you mind me asking where you ordered from Gav? That's a phenomenal turnaround (I wonder if they have stock held in the UK?)

Andy

Hi Andy,
    Maybe that makes sense, particularly with them saying it includes the VAT. Perhaps they are already here.

Master
    Hi Andy,
    Maybe that makes sense, particularly with them saying it includes the VAT. Perhaps they are already here.
    Thanks Gav. I just deleted my post as I saw I was beaten to asking. Looks like the price has gone up slightly there now to £202.99, not sure if it's the currency conversion or if you used a discount. Either way very tempting!

Thanks Gav. I just deleted my post as I saw I was beaten to asking. Looks like the price has gone up slightly there now to £202.99, not sure if it's the currency conversion or if you used a discount. Either way very tempting!
    I paid in euros. Not sure if that helped.

Master
    I paid in euros. Not sure if that helped.
    Interesting, that comes out at £204! When these were first released I was looking out for them at this site and at tictacarea and noticed the price did fluctuate a bit (I'm guessing the discount offered changed although I didn't pay enough attention to really notice). If you're not charged anything on top please do let us know as I can feel the urge to treat myself to a post-xmas present growing stronger! ;)

Journeyman

That’s an excellent deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Mine arrived this morning after ordering from watch.co.uk, ordered Wednesday around 4:30 and delivered at 10:30 this morning.

So comparing to my old GW5000

Text on the watch seems bolder on the old version
    The screen seems slightly more yellow on the new one

Can’t make my mind in on the new LED light but it’s nice that it lasts 3 seconds.

Case back seems the same as the 1JF version including the CE text on the back and made in Japan on the case back and buckle.

I will leave it a few days before deciding if I want to keep the new one.

Casio GW5000-1JF to GW5000U-1JF

Well, it has landed! Just over 24 hour turnaround. Amazing!

Initial thoughts. Obviously the band is much more comfortable and feels more premium overall. Prefer the colour vs my 5610.

I would say there isn’t a major difference in how clear the display is but the fact that the date is the correct way round, the time being displayed in all modes and the quick return to main screen make this miles better.

Prefer the LED light also here is a comparison for those interested.

Would definitely recommend Relojes de Moda.

Cheers and merry Christmas.

Master
    Mine arrived this morning after ordering from watch.co.uk, ordered Wednesday around 4:30 and delivered at 10:30 this morning.

So comparing to my old GW5000

Text on the watch seems bolder on the old version
    The screen seems slightly more yellow on the new one

Can’t make my mind in on the new LED light but it’s nice that it lasts 3 seconds.

Case back seems the same as the 1JF version including the CE text on the back and made in Japan on the case back and buckle.

I will leave it a few days before deciding if I want to keep the new one.
    Thanks for the comparison. Are the buttons still a bit stiff on the new vs the old?

Initial thoughts. Obviously the band is much more comfortable and feels more premium overall. Prefer the colour vs my 5610.

I would say there isn’t a major difference in how clear the display is but the fact that the date is the correct way round, the time being displayed in all modes and the quick return to main screen make this miles better.

Thanks for the pics Gav. So it did come all the way from Spain then? Pretty impressive at this time of year especially! I'm assuming no notice of additional fees either?

I have to say the LED doesn't cast as much of a shadow as I'd feared/got the impression of from seeing it in pics from early adopters of the "U"-version.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your new watches - perfect for timing Christmas dinner tomorrow!

Journeyman

Congratulations.

Made the same day as mine.

Journeyman

Thanks for the comparison. Are the buttons still a bit stiff on the new vs the old?

Thanks for the pics Gav. So it did come all the way from Spain then? Pretty impressive at this time of year especially! I'm assuming no notice of additional fees either?

I have to say the LED doesn't cast as much of a shadow as I'd feared/got the impression of from seeing it in pics from early adopters of the "U"-version.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your new watches - perfect for timing Christmas dinner tomorrow!
    The buttons feel exactly the same to me and haven’t noticed a difference.

Now do I fit my combi bracelet I had Christmas last year, still haven’t got round to fitting as I enjoy the soft rubber strap.

Yeah definitely came from Spain, incredible. No notice of fees!
    Still a good price at £200 to be fair Andy.

Master
    The buttons feel exactly the same to me and haven’t noticed a difference.

Now do I fit my combi bracelet I had Christmas last year, still haven’t got round to fitting as I enjoy the soft rubber strap.
    The rubber strap is one of the best I've tried, I have one on my DW-5600.

Yeah definitely came from Spain, incredible. No notice of fees!
    Still a good price at £200 to be fair Andy.
    I am mighty tempted, but will try to show some restraint and hold off until at least tomorrow. Seeing as the earliest it'd ship out I'm guessing would be Monday, no point in rushing. I'm waiting patiently on a Seestern I've ordered last week, but that's coming on the slow boat from China so could be a while before it arrives!

Congratulations.

Made the same day as mine.

Congratulations on your new delivery
    It’s interesting that it looks like Casio are using different packaging for the export and JDM models for some reason.

Last edited by adg31; 24th December 2021 at 18:27.

So what do people think the old model is worth roughly to sell? Trying to figure out how much of a bath I need to take for this essential upgrade.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    So what do people think the old model is worth roughly to sell? Trying to figure out how much of a bath I need to take for this essential upgrade.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
    Looking on eBay it seems like recent prices are in the £150 to £200 range depending upon if the listing picks up a following wind!

Would you say the new strap is longer? Looks a tad longer in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would you say the new strap is longer? Looks a tad longer in the pics.
    Hi mate, no I think it’s the same. I must not have put the end in the keeper for the photo, so I can see what you mean.

If you are looking for a bigger strap option the GBD200 might be a better option. Might be a better fit if you have more manly wrists than me. :)

Hi mate, no I think it’s the same. I must not have put the end in the keeper for the photo, so I can see what you mean.

If you are looking for a bigger strap option the GBD200 might be a better option. Might be a better fit if you have more manly wrists than me. :)
    Balls, that’s me and my trotters out.

Thanks for the recommendation, ill take a look. I normally head for the rangemaster and mudmaster types but they’re not the most wearable.

I've been watching this threat with interest, however with a slight veneer of chub my wrist is around 8 1/2.

On the upside, I'm not wondering if my 5610 combi bracelet that's currently on my GW6900 would fit. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks, and ordered!
    Arrived today - obviously it's a great watch, and all things considered probably worth the upgrade (I have to say that the auto-light has defeated me, though).

Arrived today - obviously it's a great watch, and all things considered probably worth the upgrade (I have to say that the auto-light has defeated me, though).
    Hold down the light button for a few seconds (until LT comes on the screen). Then it’s set.

To adjust the length of time it stays on, jump on to time keeping mode, hold down the top left button, then keep pressing the bottom left until you see LIG, then use the bottom right to toggle. Jobs a good one.

Hold down the light button for a few seconds (until LT comes on the screen). Then it’s set.

To adjust the length of time it stays on, jump on to time keeping mode, hold down the top left button, then keep pressing the bottom left until you see LIG, then use the bottom right to toggle. Jobs a good one.
    Thank you, but I did all of that. My issue is that the auto light has worked once in about 300 attempts

Thank you, but I did all of that. My issue is that the auto light has worked once in about 300 attempts
    Ahh! Haha, sorry pal, you are on your own.

I was also defeated but when I read the manual it’ said it only activates in a dark environment.

Once set to auto, have you tried it in a dark room?

Ahh! Haha, sorry pal, you are on your own.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I was also defeated but when I read the manual it’ said it only activates in a dark environment.

Once set to auto, have you tried it in a dark room?
    No, but I shall now, thanks!

Please report back and let us know if you have any joy.

I was almost ready to return my 5610U after vigorously shaking my wrist wouldn’t get it to turn on.
    Last edited by namzo; 29th December 2021 at 00:16.

The solar panel also acts as a ‘light sensor’ so it knows whether you need the auto light to activate or not when you tilt the watch. Enough light and it won’t activate. If you set the power save feature on you might also notice the display goes blank under a sleeve after about 10pm - popping straight back to life when exposed to light. Pretty nifty! Personally I never use the auto light as it seems to be a big battery drain in a uk winter.

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Please report back and let us know if you have any joy.

I was almost ready to return my 5610U after vigorously shaking my wrist wouldn’t get it to turn on.
    Yep, works very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The solar panel also acts as a ‘light sensor’ so it knows whether you need the auto light to activate or not when you tilt the watch. Enough light and it won’t activate. If you set the power save feature on you might also notice the display goes blank under a sleeve after about 10pm - popping straight back to life when exposed to light. Pretty nifty! Personally I never use the auto light as it seems to be a big battery drain in a uk winter.

Got you. I’ll see how it goes but may turn mine off too.

Yep, works very well indeed.
    Good stuff.

TicTacArea just charged me £188 including delivery. Will report back when it arrives, and whether I get hit for any duty.

But at under £200, I couldn't resist.

Just putting this out there…

Anyone been stung for the VAT or customs duty on one of these?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Anyone been stung for the VAT or customs duty on one of these?
    No charges for me so far but from what I’ve read they pay the VAT.

No charges for me so far but from what I’ve read they pay the VAT.

Perfect, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Just putting this out there…

Yep I ordered from there just before Christmas and can highly recommend. No extra fees either.

Not sure if it helps but I paid in euros, was slightly cheaper (about £180ish).

The watch landed the next day as well.

Craftsman
    No doubt there will be a wave of lightly used examples appearing on sales corner in the next few weeks!

Yep I ordered from there just before Christmas and can highly recommend. No extra fees either.

Not sure if it helps but I paid in euros, was slightly cheaper (about £180ish).

The watch landed the next day as well.

Thank you. I’ll order one tonight.

Craftsman
    In the end, is the screen clearer or more legible vs the original? That’s the only compelling reason for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post
    In the end, is the screen clearer or more legible vs the original? That’s the only compelling reason for me.

Well, my 5000U is no different to my old 5610. Mind you I don’t really see much difference between either and the STN display on the full metal squares (I have both negative and positive versions)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, my 5000U is no different to my old 5610. Mind you I don’t really see much difference between either and the STN display on the full metal squares (I have both negative and positive versions)

Interesting. Because I noticed a difference between STN and the 5000, with STN being a bit brighter..
    But metal G is heavy and scratches too easily.

Yes there is a difference, but I don’t think it’s all that noticeable irl

Journeyman
    How many people have I got to order one after starting this thread?!

Folded . Ordered GW500 1ER from Spain.
    Got to stop visiting this forum

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Folded . Ordered GW500 1ER from Spain.
    Got to stop visiting this forum
    You won’t regret it.

Nah - still got the original - not wearing that - and as the new version is easy to pickup theres no thrill of the chase 😂