closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diving computer/watch?

Master

Diving computer/watch?

Well, we all know about the dive watches. But what about dive watches/computer that is more suitable for diving?

I started diving this year. Done my pady open water in Bonaire and did a couple of dives after in NL and Spain. I got all my own equipment, except a diving computer/watch.

I can’t make up my mind. The Suunto di4novo seems all right: https://www.suunto.com/fy-nl/Product...4i-Novo-Black/ My wife had one. Just the readings i need like depth, zero time, and planning a second dive. I am not sure about a pod and blue tooth connector for air measurement.

I am also lookinng at the Suunto eon core. But i doubt that kind of computer or that i should go for a regular watch like.

Any opinions on dive watches/computers?
    Last edited by Time Cat; 20th December 2021 at 22:09.

Probably old hat now, but I use / used a Suunto Stinger, watch sized and has good watch functions, dual time zone display etc, Bluetooth connections to tanks etc were just coming in when I was diving regularly, I’m sure they are good, but for me it’s just tech that could fail, I’d much rather a mechanical connection to the tank with regular gauges.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Do you have any idea at this time what your diving future looks like? Are you intending to take it further in terms of further PADI (or technical diving) qualifications? At this stage you can either buy something that will suffice for now and the next few years or, go nuclear, and buy something that will cover all bases. I wouldn't recommend this for you at this stage and technology moves quickly and if you need more capability in the future then you can revisit the question with far more knowledge. Do you have a budget?

Let's get the nuclear option out of the way as this does far more than you currently need and is a significant investment: the Shearwater Teric.

The D4i does all that you need and are likely to need in the next few years and is significantly cheaper than the EON Core. If you can comfortably read the smaller display then I'd go with this.

All depends if you wish to wear it as a watch when not diving?

If you do then the Suunto di4 is more than capable.

I prefer a larger screen and still use a Suunto Viper but have been thinking of upgrading to an eon. I like the idea of integrated air but I know I would use a back up gauge and so I question whether paying more is worthwhile!

In any case my only recommendation is to get one that can also be set for enriched air (Nitrox) use. If you start to dive a lot with multiple dives in a day then that’s a good specialty and skill to add and having a computer were you can set O2 levels is good.

Oh and scissors (shears) are more useful than a massive Dive knife!

Have fun blowing bubbles

Master
    The D4i is ideal for recreational diving. If you have an option and see them discounted buys spare strap as the plastic perishes and the watch will drop off your wrist.

Inspect the strap as part of your pre-dive procedure and if you can fit a lanyard to the buckle to reduce risk of it being lost.

Subject to how good your eye sight is you might also consider the puck sized computer which whilst not being as fashionable in the bar afterwards will be visible under water and keep you safe.

If you go for the associated transmitter, they are famously tricky to connect. When fitting the transmitter use a 4inch HP hose to prevent dive boat staff using the transmitter as a handle and damaging it.

Another factor is how long you plan to use it.

As you get older, you'll probably find things like the D4 harder to read, especially underwater.

Something like the Shearwater or Eon give you bright, clear displays which work in less bright conditions (I don't imagine diving in the NL is much different to the UK) far better than the grey on grey displays of things like the D4 or a Vyper (I started with one of the latter - It's fine, but it was getting hard to read on deeper, darker dives in the UK - I don't know about the D4, but the Vyper has a terrible backlight - Weak and shortlived per push - and shining your torch onto the face just obliterates the display with glare!).

We have a couple of club members with D4s, but, personally, I like to split my dive computer from a watch (I wear a watch as well on most dives) as I find the small format of the D4 and the like too restrictive and hard to read (even in good light), especially for more technical dives.

FWIW, I've got a Heinrichs-Weikamp OSTC Sport - Small, square format which can handle switching gasses - More than you need, OP, right now, but if you progress, who knows? It has an OLED display and is always readable.

If you just want a watch format dive computer for diving in warm, clear water, then a D4 is a good choice. Suuntos aren't perfect, but they're good enough for the majority of divers and dives.

Personally I wouldn't (and don't) bother with an air integration system, they seem pretty hit and miss from what I've seen and, when they do work, seeing you have 45 Bar rather than 'somewhere between 40 and 50, shouldn't be that important, but it's a matter of personal preference.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 21st December 2021 at 10:35.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Another factor is how long you plan to use it.

As you get older, you'll probably find things like the D4 harder to read, especially underwater.

Something like the Shearwater or Eon give you bright, clear displays which work in less bright conditions (I don't imagine diving in the NL is much different to the UK) far better than the grey on grey displays of things like the D4 or a Vyper (I started with one of the latter - It's fine, but it was getting hard to read on deeper, darker dives in the UK - I don't know about the D4, but the Vyper has a terrible backlight - Weak and shortlived per push - and shining your torch onto the face just obliterates the display with glare!).

We have a couple of club members with D4s, but, personally, I like to split my dive computer from a watch (I wear a watch as well on most dives) as I find the small format of the D4 and the like too restrictive and hard to read (even in good light), especially for more technical dives.

FWIW, I've got a Heinrichs-Weikamp OSTC Sport - Small, square format which can handle switching gasses - More than you need, OP, right now, but if you progress, who knows? It has an OLED display and is always readable.

If you just want a watch format dive computer for diving in warm, clear water, then a D4 is a good choice. Suuntos aren't perfect, but they're good enough for the majority of divers and dives.

Personally I wouldn't (and don't) bother with an air integration system, they seem pretty hit and miss from what I've seen and, when they do work, seeing you have 45 Bar rather than 'somewhere between 40 and 50, shouldn't be that important, but it's a matter of personal preference.

M
    All very valid points as well.

I have not heard of the Heinrichs-Weikamp OSTC Sport before. Just had a look and it seems good.

If you have any feedback and can explain how it is best worn. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Back in the day I once owned a Suunto SME-ML - nicknamed the '57-4' as regardles of any dives that you had done it would scroll to say you could 57 metres for 4 mins without any deco........

It was soon sold on!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What about a 7K52-6A19 ? :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Probably old hat now, but I use / used a Suunto Stinger, watch sized and has good watch functions, dual time zone display etc, Bluetooth connections to tanks etc were just coming in when I was diving regularly, I’m sure they are good, but for me it’s just tech that could fail, I’d much rather a mechanical connection to the tank with regular gauges.
    Thanks all.

I am not sure about the bluetooth as well. I have a regular manometer for the same reason.

My regulator stage 1 has a 2nd port though for a bluetooth pot besides the manometer. But seeing these comments it seems those pods doesn’t work always that well, I m not quit sure i want one. My regulator set is all right for cold water. i have an Atomic st1 set.

For the time being, I ll take it on recreational diving. Maybe i go for advance padi next year or 2023 and do diving up to 40m. Plus some specialties like cave and wrack diving.

I do want to go for enriched diving, because regular air tanks seem to last for just 40 minutes with me.

Doing tec diving will take years. Maybe in the far future if I go that far. First i like the recreational dives around the globe with my wife. Many places have to be discovered. Next stop is a diving vacation in Egypt in March. 6 days all day diving. I do like to go diving in NL. Done one dive in 11 o degrees water. It was a better dive than expected and I did like That experience as well.

I can’t make up my mind at the moment if I want a more watch like or computer like iece of equipment. One vacation I wear my Citizen pro master…
    Last edited by Time Cat; 21st December 2021 at 21:59.

I started out with a Mares Smart (next one up from the entry level Puck) and found it very capable, 100 or so dives, handy functions (service interval time displayed between dives without having to go into menus for example) - at a stretch you can wear it as a watch. Also handy is the ability to put it in sleep mode to extend battery life.

Next one I used was a Suunto DX, wearable as a watch, plenty functions if you want to freedive or go tec down the road. Nearly 300 dives on this one, reliable work horse.

Last one I've used is the Garmin Descent MKll. So now in smart watch territory, loved it, all the fitness apps and I was doing 20ish dives between charges. Logged gps location at beginning/end dive and has a neat logbook app setup on the phone... Pricey at a grand but loads of apps. Quite wearable and looks good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I've used Suunto for many years now and have had D4i's since they were first produced. Used for air, nitrox and freediving and I'm very comfortable with their RGBM algorithm, plus the DIY battery change is a real bonus for me.
    I have the air transmitter on a short hose plus an analogue gauge for backup.

Sizewise I find it ideal:

And they don't go flaky in high ambient temperatures (unlike some others).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    All very valid points as well.

I have not heard of the Heinrichs-Weikamp OSTC Sport before. Just had a look and it seems good.

If you have any feedback and can explain how it is best worn. I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    I've been very happy with mine, generally.

I did have a problem with the screen going blank, but HW fixed it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.

I think that was unlucky, someone else in the club has had there's a couple of years more than me with no issues.

It uses a 3.6v AA sized battery or you can uses a bog standard AA if required, but life is very short with those. All you need to swap them is a coin.

Visibility is excellent and the interface is intuitive.

It comes with a fitting for a bungey cord, which works really well, but it's very much a tool, not a fashion item.

Bottom line, if I lost it, I'd buy another.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've been very happy with mine, generally.

I did have a problem with the screen going blank, but HW fixed it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.

I think that was unlucky, someone else in the club has had there's a couple of years more than me with no issues.

It uses a 3.6v AA sized battery or you can uses a bog standard AA if required, but life is very short with those. All you need to swap them is a coin.

Visibility is excellent and the interface is intuitive.

It comes with a fitting for a bungey cord, which works really well, but it's very much a tool, not a fashion item.

Bottom line, if I lost it, I'd buy another.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Cheers. Thanks for that.

My Vyper is showing its age now even though it has served me well but technology has moved on a little and I may treat myself for the next season.

Master
    Back to this topic. I bought myself a Suunto D5 this week. It’s a bit big for my wrist especially compared to my wifes d4i. But big size is oke for the diving pc over the suit.

Very easy menu and easy to read display. Will test it in October in Egypt diving.