closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New lug holes in a cartier santos

Journeyman

New lug holes in a cartier santos

Hi guys,

I have a cartier santos galbee xl and would dearly love to put some straps on it. Unfortunately the lug holes for the bracelet are right up against the case so it is impossible to fit a strap. I was thinking of getting some internal lug holes drilled further along to fit some straps. I know I would be altering the case of a nice watch - anyone think this is a terrible idea?

And does anyone know a watchmaker in the UK who could do this? I've spoken to a few but so far have not had any positive responses...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    I would t have thought it would greatly depreciate the watches value

Grand Master
    I don’t have the equipment or inclination to do this, but if the holes weren’t fully drilled (not visible on the outside) I don’t see the watch being devalued. A miniature right- angled drill should be able to do this......in the right hands!

Craftsman
    I don't think it would affect the value negatively.
    You wouldn't need the lugs drilled all the way through so no one would notice it.

I asked about getting the lug holes on a BB58 drilled through but no one was able. If you find anyone let me know as I'd be interested in getting that done still.

Good luck

Won’t you see the original lug holes in the gap between strap and case as well as on the outside of the case? That would bother me.

Journeyman
    Thanks all - yes that's what I thought. Shouldn't devalue if the holes are hidden. I tried putting a couple of straps in without the springbar and if the leather goes right up to the case, then you can't see the original lug holes either which works perfectly...

Now a case of finding someone who can do it! (Had another no just now...) Any pointers appreciated :)

Master
    Maybe you have already explored the possibility, but I would be pursuing this line of enquiry before I would contemplate drilling the case: https://www.handmadewatchstrap.com/S...s%20XL100.html

Master
    I think if a buyer were aware of holes being drilled after market it would affect the value (it would probably put me off buying for one). As has been mentioned, I would be looking at custom straps as I suspect this is why Cartier has done this in the first place - trying to force their customers to buy their own straps when they release them at an overly inflated price

Master
    I would not buy any watch that has been modified, especially in this way.

It's a long shot but a pair of curved spring bars on a strap with thin leather at the lugs might work. The one thing I can't be sure about is whether it would eventually develop some curvature and consequently a gap.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

A custom strap is the way to go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Maybe you have already explored the possibility, but I would be pursuing this line of enquiry before I would contemplate drilling the case: https://www.handmadewatchstrap.com/S...s%20XL100.html

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It's a long shot but a pair of curved spring bars on a strap with thin leather at the lugs might work. The one thing I can't be sure about is whether it would eventually develop some curvature and consequently a gap.
    Sadly have tried a out 5 different straps (including one with curved spring bars) and tried to force them in to no success :(. Why do cartier make it so difficult!!

I'll keep looking down the custom strap route as well as I think that would definitely be the better option if it can work...

Master
    Not sure about this?
    https://delugs.com/

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I would not buy any watch that has been modified, especially in this way.
    If its done in such a way that it isn’t visible from the outside of the lugs I really don’t see the problem. Indeed, the fact that it allows the watch to be worn on a strap is an advantage with no drawbacks.

What about modifying a pair of end links to take a strap like aftermarket fitted ones for Rolex, that way no extra holes in case and would give much more flexibility for change.

Master
    Did Simon Freeze not do a similar thing for a forum member?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not sure about this?
    https://delugs.com/
    My preference would be to look at something like the link above or any other tried and tested straps.

I’m sure with trial and error you could find a strap to work once the new holes have been drilled but personally I that would be too much work for me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Did Simon Freeze not do a similar thing for a forum member?
    Any contact details so I can find out? Thanks!