closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lg v Panasonic oled

Master

Lg v Panasonic oled

I know there are a few members that like there tech on here, I’m looking at 2 oled 55in tvs, one a panasonic 55jz980b v a lg 55c14lb both the same price I can’t find a shop near me with both In stock to compare the lg has a good review on av forums the Panasonic has not been reviewed.
    I will be using the tv mainly for tv + films and a small amount of gaming I have always had Panasonic tvs in the past and been very happy also the Panasonic service backup near me is very good.
    is There a big difference between these sets in all round performance or are they both similar I have also started a thread on av forums.

Lg v Panasonic oled

Everyone will have a different story but IMO LG are better than Panasonic
    I’ve had 2 previous Panasonic models that failed within warranty, I’ve now got LGs in all the rooms and not had an issue with any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have the 55 LG in the kitchen, I would say it is the best TV I have ever owned, it just works, Very bright and have never had any issues with their software. Be are thinking of getting a bigger one for the living room to replace the 8 year old Panasonic plasma.

I think I read somewhere that the Panasonic panel is manufactured by LG

LG in my opinion are the best value beat quality screen available. We have two.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’m sure I read somewhere the LG manufacture the screens for Panasonic.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Everyone will have a different story but IMO LG are better than Panasonic
    I’ve had 2 previous Panasonic models that failed within warranty, I’ve now got LGs in all the rooms and not had an issue with any of them
    Ok must be luck of the draw as I’ve had 4 Panasonic tvs from crt to plasma to led and my mate and parents have had the same with no problems I’ve got 2 cheaper lg tvs and while they haven’t actually broken I don’t think much to the software on them one is very buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    [QUOTE=damperman;5897573]I’m sure I read somewhere the LG manufacture the screens for Panasonic.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE

You are right all tv brands use LG panels

Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere the LG manufacture the screens for Panasonic.

Maybe in post #3 above?

Master
    As said LG make all the OLED panels to date. So it is then what the manufacturers do with them. LG definitely wins if you are looking at gaming. The Pannys may have the slight edge for picture from what I gather. I have a LG CX and it is the best tv I have had to date.

Review of the year https://www.avforums.com/news/best-t...e-awards.19332

There is a shoot out and further discussion at https://www.avforums.com/news/philips-oled-tv-shootout-at-abbey-road-studios-the-results.19300

LG

I think Panasonic were good back in the plasma screen days but now its Sony, LG and Samsung who seem to be doing well

Definitely LG over Panasonic, but for me it would be Samsung first.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Maybe in post #3 above?
    Must take notice of other posts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Definitely LG over Panasonic, but for me it would be Samsung first.
    Does Samsung offer OLED, as well as QLED, screens now? I've had Panasonic Plasma and now LG OLED. My preference would be for LG.
    Last edited by mactrack; 20th December 2021 at 17:01.

Samsung only do Qled which is, on tests, as good as Oled and has a more durable screen. Also is less susceptible to screen burn from static images.
    To be honest, the black's on my 43" (non Qled) Samsung are superb, much of it is how well you set up the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    Must take notice of other posts.

I was just pulling your leg, but appreciate it may not have come over that way.

Master
    Another thumbs up for LG and OLED. Burn in was an issue for very early ones but nowadays there are numerous technologies built into the tv to mitigate this to almost zero. OLED black levels are another um level, no halos or weird moving bright areas on predominantly dark images. No brightness levels aren't as good and that's the only thing that would put me off - if you have to put it facing a window that gets the majority of the sun during your watching time then it might not be the best idea.
    Best thing about LG though is their move to use WebOs instead of Android. Android is a clunky interface for a TV - I have it on my Nvidia Shield, it's usable but after using LG's interface it's tough to go back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I was just pulling your leg, but appreciate it may not have come over that way.
    That’s ok, I’m a Panasonic tv owner.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Samsung having just moved from a Panasonic plasma.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do yourself a favour and purchase the latest Sony OLED Acoustic Panel, to me they are fantastic bit of kit. The Sony 65” is so much better then my Pannasonic 65” I have in the other room. The sound from the Acoustic screen is simply the best sound from any TV I have heard.
    Last edited by hilly10; 20th December 2021 at 20:16.

…Qled which is, on tests, as good as Oled…
    Not on any of the tests or reviews that I’ve read or seen.

My LG OLED (which is now about 5 years old) is the best TV that I’ve ever owned. And no sign of screen burn.

LG oled for me, best I’ve ever owned. Previously Panny.

Master
    LG Oled & if you think the quality is good out the box a few tweaks will bring them alive.

Sky Q, Prime UHD for sports & films is excellent.

Master
    Just been to a richer sounds near me that got both TVs in 4k stuff looked great but ordinary telly even the HD channels looked rubbish worse than my current hd tv and as that is what me & my Mrs watch at least 50% of the time and I also have loads of SD DVDs I think it will be a massive waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Just been to a richer sounds near me that got both TVs in 4k stuff looked great but ordinary telly even the HD channels looked rubbish worse than my current hd tv and as that is what me & my Mrs watch at least 50% of the time and I also have loads of SD DVDs I think it will be a massive waste of money
    obviously I don't know how the LG was set up but mine looks great, its running from a skyQ mini box, most people think its running 4K

Samsung only do Qled which is, on tests, as good as Oled and has a more durable screen. Also is less susceptible to screen burn from static images.
    To be honest, the black's on my 43" (non Qled) Samsung are superb, much of it is how well you set up the TV.

OLED is far superior to anything Samsungs marketing dept can dream up with their misleading QLED branding, it's still a backlit LCD panel with all the picture flaws that entails, agreed it's very good but not as good as OLED PQ

I've got an LG CX 75", picture is stunning with 4k content

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    OLED is far superior to anything Samsungs marketing dept can dream up with their misleading QLED branding, it's still a backlit LCD panel with all the picture flaws that entails, agreed it's very good but not as good as OLED PQ

I've got an LG CX 75", picture is stunning with 4k content

Bang on OLED is far better than any backlit screen. Also the bigger the screen with OLED the better the picture.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    LG Oled & if you think the quality is good out the box a few tweaks will bring them alive.

Sky Q, Prime UHD for sports & films is excellent.
    Would you pass on these tweaks to us ?

LG for OLED and Panasonic for Plasma.
    Owned both, the Panasonic plasma lasted until 4k came along before switched to LG Oled.
    Did look at Sonys as well at the time, although some said the menus were a bit sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by timestuff View Post
    LG for OLED and Panasonic for Plasma.
    Owned both, the Panasonic plasma lasted until 4k came along before switched to LG Oled.
    We still have a 37" Pana Plasma in one room and an LG OLED in the other. Our LG is 4 years old and doesn't have some of the newer 'screen burn' protection. Unfortunately between Brexit, Covid and my obsession with Sky News while I'm working from home it does have some burn. It doesn't bother me most of the time but it's likely we'll end up replacing the OLED before the 15 year old Plasma.

Master
    I have just ordered a Panasonic 55jz1500b got £100 off I was going to wait till after Xmas believe it or not Panasonic oleds are in short supply and a lot of shops said they would not be getting any stock of the 1500 till well in to the new year, looking forward to seeing if it’s as impressive as everyone says, the lg c1 I looked after has a very shallow stand and my soundbar would obstruct the screen and would have ment buying a new av unit and I’ve only had this one about a year so made my mind up which one to buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Not on any of the tests or reviews that I’ve read or seen.
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzies View Post
    Would you pass on these tweaks to us ?

I used this years ago, could be a newer info now?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled/settings

I was reading an article the other day that said Samsung had agreed to buy OLED's from LG.

Something about it in What HiFi....

https://www.whathifi.com/news/samsun...-report-claims
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I’m starting to look into upgrading our 46” Samsung TV. From what I’ve read investing in a 8K TV is not worth it at the moment.
    I thought I’d seen it said that 4k was about the limit of what normal eyesight could process so that anything more was basically “wasted”.

Even 4k on a 46" is probably not noticeable unless you sit 2ft from it

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I’m starting to look into upgrading our 46” Samsung TV. From what I’ve read investing in a 8K TV is not worth it at the moment. How does something like this TV with a Sonos Beam 2 and Sky Q stack up?

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55c...ilver/p5007176

What would you watch on an 8K telly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    What would you watch on an 8K telly?
    Not an expert but there’s not a lot available in 4k, is there? The free channels have hardly embraced it.

Still on my Pioneer Krp plasma with no intention of changing.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not an expert but there’s not a lot available in 4k, is there? The free channels have hardly embraced it.

Plenty of 4K content on Apple TV, Netflix and Prime, not mention any decent film is available on a 4k Blu-Ray Disc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Plenty of 4K content on Apple TV, Netflix and Prime, not mention any decent film is available on a 4k Blu-Ray Disc
    I deliberately chose the word “free”. Just think it’s “interesting” that the main broadcast channels seem indifferent. Apart from the BBC David Attenborough stuff, can’t really think of anything. That said, rubbish is still rubbish in 4k.
    Last edited by David_D; 24th December 2021 at 12:24.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I deliberately chose the word “free”.
    Prime TV is free. You pay for free and faster delivery, TV is a bonus.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I bought an LG OLED48C14 last night. The price has dropped to £999 and I got a 4.5% discount on John Lewis vouchers through work. I did find out 20 minutes later I could have saved £19 at Costco but it’s not worth worrying about that. If you have a Costco near you, £935 is an amazing price for one of the best all round TVs on the market.

I’ve applied the AVForums recommended settings and it looks amazing. I already have an LG OLED55B6 from 2016 which is still doing stirling service in the living room but I needed to replace a very old 42” Samsung TV in the dining room.

I can’t wait to see Series X games at 120Hz tomorrow.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 24th December 2021 at 15:06.

Craftsman
    I have an LG OLED in one room and a Panasonic OLED in another. Both excellent TVs. Cant go wrong with either. IMHO the Panasonic has the edge for motion processing. It is smoother and I prefer watching films on it.

OLED technology better than the Samsungs QLED IMHO. Similar difference to Plasma vs LED.

Sent from my SM-N986B using TZ-UK mobile app

We watched Paddington 2 yesterday on the in laws’ LG OLED and it was a weird experience, in that the picture was so sharp and defined you could almost tell it was a studio set.

It kind of ruined it and we’ve decided not to bother with any of the latest tech.

I want to watch a film and experience some mystique, not feel like I’m watching Albert Square.

Anyway, that doesn’t help the OP.

We have a Samsung QLED 55. Superb.

LG C1 is the best oled for most people as it does everything well, but is not the best in specific areas - Jack of all trades. Sony has better motion processing, but worse gaming input lag, etc. With LG you get good results across the board

Look at RTings.com - they have very good tv reviews and you can compare models, plus get recommended settings

Also check out Vincent on ‘HDTV’ on YouTube for good reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    LG C1 is the best oled for most people as it does everything well, but is not the best in specific areas - Jack of all trades. Sony has better motion processing, but worse gaming input lag, etc. With LG you get good results across the board
    The C1 is amazing with the Series X. I’ve not hooked up the PS5 to it yet.