closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 14060m service

Craftsman

14060m service

Picked up a 2002 14060M from the forum after getting a PM responding to my wanted Ad

free image hosting sites

No card but a modern box and in really good condition. Obviously the price reflected this and I wore it for about 2 months really falling for the simplicity of the ND

I always intended to put it though Rolex for a 24 months warranty and adding to the pieces history

I did however notice it was out about 10 seconds a day and a slight squeak appeared when winding the crown

So anyway into Rolex and here’s the verdict from AD

Dear Mr Holmes,

Thank you for entrusting us with your Rolex timepiece; it is our pleasure to provide the quotation outlined below, where we have itemised the quotation into necessary and optional work. Following careful examination by a Master Watchmaker, diagnostics have shown that to return your timepiece to its original functional and aesthetic specifications, the following interventions and/or components are required:

The following work is deemed necessary:

A complete service £630.00
    A replacement crown - existing is dented £40.00
    A new sapphire crystal - existing is chipped £110.00

The following work is deemed optional:

For an overall total of £752.00

What’s funny I really didn’t notice a chip or a dent but said happy to proceed and looking forward to getting it back

Question is if I’d refused the Crystal or crown replacement it looks like they wouldn’t have serviced it, which I find odd.

I think they are quite exacting on marks/damage to crowns.

Only if the ‘chips’ on crystal is likely to affect waterproofness will they insist on renewal from what I understand.

A Seadweller 16600 service is £600, which seems unusual considering the helium escape valve that model has.

I got a call from dealer yesterday, saying that crystal renewal was ‘optional’ but since the marks on edge of crystal were so slight - I opted to leave original.

Master
    I'd be optioning not to get it polished either as case looks perfect.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Service is service, rest is cosmetic only so optional. As mentioned if it affected integrity then it wouldn't be optional.

Rolex noted a mark on my SD bezel which I hadn't with my eyesight but sure enough, under magnification it was there. They really do look VERY closely for blemishes.

Polishing is included but yeh - don't let them polish unless it absolutely needs it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think they are quite exacting on marks/damage to crowns.

Only if the ‘chips’ on crystal is likely to affect waterproofness will they insist on renewal from what I understand.

A Seadweller 16600 service is £600, which seems unusual considering the helium escape valve that model has.

I got a call from dealer yesterday, saying that crystal renewal was ‘optional’ but since the marks on edge of crystal were so slight - I opted to leave original.
    My Explorer has a small surface mark on it and the AD who is an accredited repairer and hence works strictly to Rolex instructions told me that even the smallest nick or scratch on the crystal means it has to be removed and that is non negotiable.

I just live with that.

Master
    I have a 16610 bought off here which had a Rolex service in 2015 ish. They replaced the crystal at that service. They probably use a loupe to look around the edge. If any tiny nicks or scratches are present then it makes sense to swap it out at service.

Sometimes it does come across too much when Rolex want to replace a nigh on perfect crystal, personally the less that is messed with during service the better, thats just me, I prefer watches to grow old gracefully but also understand a lot of people want their watch to look like new.

When my Rolex need a service I'll probably check them into the watchworks near me for a movement only service and general clean..

Fantastic looking watch - the simplicity of the dial just looks so well balanced.
    It seems like they are good at spotting damage when they can charge for it; in my experience somewhat less so when they are responsible for causing it!
    Wear your watch in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Fantastic looking watch - the simplicity of the dial just looks so well balanced.
    It seems like they are good at spotting damage when they can charge for it; in my experience somewhat less so when they are responsible for causing it!
    Wear your watch in good health
    I think you are correct on both counts.

The 14060M is a super-clean design - much better than the cyclopsed one.

Nice watch. I don’t think Rolex wording is suggesting the extra work is mandatory

Grand Master
    The crystal needs to come out to refinish the case, so it makes sense to replace it if it has any significant faults or damage. It’s surprising how owners miss things and don’t see the blemishes. It’s worth inspecting the crystal carefully before sending the watch for service and deciding in advance whether you’re happy with the condition.

A perfect crystal always helps when selling.

Craftsman
    All great information guys, thank you.. I don’t mind it being polished, I intend on wearing it regularly and want it to start with a fresh slate. It’s hardly marked and can’t see it suffering too much with a polish.

Craftsman
    Here she blows. Wow blow away with how it’s come back to me. The movement’s now buttery smooth, and the finishing fantastic. New Crystal and new crown replaced, no S on the Crystal.

Oh and the new service pouch too is very impressive.

drop off service menu

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, on my wish list but I’d need a windfall …

Looking good!

Don't think my SD will be far away.

Craftsman
    The subs altogether

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    The subs altogether

If you sent your hands to Rolex - they'd insist on renewing them!!!!

A nice collection!

Craftsman

A nice collection!
    Hehe, I thought exactly that. They don’t look as knackered in real life.

Hehe, I thought exactly that. They don’t look as knackered in real life.

Checked mine before I commented. Nothing wrong with hands that have done a life of honest work.................

Were you doing 10yrs' hard labour?

I’ve got true office boy hands but you can tell my eyes have done 15 years hard labour staring at a screen and my body has done the same 15 years sat down!

Can’t wait for those service pouches to hit SC, they look good.

Apprentice
    I had my 14 year old 14060M serviced last year by Rolex, best thing I did, it literally came back a new watch. it was a no brainer to change the glass (It was less than £110 - I think £60) so prices must have gone up.

My glass looked on, but if you ran your nail around the edge, you would feel roughness

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    The subs altogether

Nice set however that 16613 looks out of place……… :-)

A nice collection!
    Fantastic group!
    Hands are just fine though it will not stop RSC from recommending a light polish and changing the top layer of skin:-)

Craftsman
    Fantastic collection. I’ve never had a two liner sub just a 1680 and 16600. I really should give one a spin. Congratulations on getting that sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a lovely result. My 14060M is also running about 10 fast, I've only worn a handful of times and otherwise looks like new, so hopefully doesn't need any parts. Can I ask how long it took from drop off at the AD to getting it back?

thanks!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebuk View Post
    Looks like a lovely result. My 14060M is also running about 10 fast, I've only worn a handful of times and otherwise looks like new, so hopefully doesn't need any parts. Can I ask how long it took from drop off at the AD to getting it back?

thanks!
    10th December - 18th February

Took the 16613 yesterday, because it`s hardly ever been worn the crown started playing up. Wouldn`t always pull out

10th December - 18th February

Took the 16613 yesterday, because it`s hardly ever been worn the crown started playing up. Wouldn`t always pull out
    Thanks, not too bad. I'll take it in. Daft q, but I assume I just take the watch on its own?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebuk View Post
    Thanks, not too bad. I'll take it in. Daft q, but I assume I just take the watch on its own?
    that`s right, then you get the new flash leather service case on its return

Taken to Laings in Edinburgh 2nd December. Ready for collection now.

12 weeks over Xmas/NY.

Craftsman
    So my 16613 starting becoming very difficult pulling the crown out, now that watch is mint and here we go, new crystal again. Seems a standard procedure. 14 weeks lead time now

The following work is deemed necessary: -

A new sapphire glass - existing is chipped and no longer providing the necessary seal to protect your watch against moisture ingress £110.00

N/A

For an overall total of £740.00

Master
    So my 16613 starting becoming very difficult pulling the crown out, now that watch is mint and here we go, new crystal again. Seems a standard procedure. 14 weeks lead time now

The following work is deemed necessary: -

A new sapphire glass - existing is chipped and no longer providing the necessary seal to protect your watch against moisture ingress £110.00

N/A

For an overall total of £740.00
    If the watch is a Rolex Classic as opposed to Current or Vintage, I think you may need to add £300 to the £630 figure.

Master
    If was to send in my 14060m for a service, would they accept a head only watch? It's currently on a bracelet from a Explorer II and I am worried that they will confiscate this bracelet and charge me for a replacement Submariner bracelet. Any advice gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    If was to send in my 14060m for a service, would they accept a head only watch? It's currently on a bracelet from a Explorer II and I am worried that they will confiscate this bracelet and charge me for a replacement Submariner bracelet. Any advice gratefully received.
    Put it on a cheap nato, although I'm sure they're going to add the bracelet and charge you for it. Otherwise send it into a Rolex accredited service centre, like watchworks in Bristol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    If the watch is a Rolex Classic as opposed to Current or Vintage, I think you may need to add £300 to the £630 figure.
    The 16613 is a 2006 and my 14060m is a 2001/02.

The quote is exactly that and that’s what’ll I’ll pay them.

Master
    The 16613 is a 2006 and my 14060m is a 2001/02.

The quote is exactly that and that’s what’ll I’ll pay them.
    That’s a result.

Quote Originally Posted by woodruffm View Post
    Put it on a cheap nato, although I'm sure they're going to add the bracelet and charge you for it. Otherwise send it into a Rolex accredited service centre, like watchworks in Bristol.

Is anyone Rolex accredited nowadays, without conforming to exactly the same criteria as if it has gone to RSC?

Quote Originally Posted by woodruffm View Post

That is complete and utter bollocks. They would not add a bracelet unless you wanted one.

Master
    From my experience they will do whatever work you sign up to, and then give you options.

My service has now come back down to £630 and initially agreed to have the glass to be replaced.

I said that I would not auto authorise a bracelet replacement, especially as they now say they will not give back the original one.

Only another 8 weeks or so to wait.

Craftsman
    I think you are correct on both counts.

The 14060M is a super-clean design - much better than the cyclopsed one.

The exact reason I bought one over 20 years ago , I’ve not changed my mind since either.

Yep

Absolutely superb watch. Unmatched in its era IMO