closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forstner 1450

Master

Forstner 1450

https://www.fratellowatches.com/fors...ster-bracelet/

Anyone tried one of these on Speed/Seamaster?

I was delighted to learn of it as I'd ideally like my old Seamaster GMT on bracelet, but hate the original due to lack of adjustability. It looks very good on a nato but I'm OCD so to me a nato feels grubby within days. Mine therefore currently lives on an Isofrane.

Anyway, emboldened by the above article (and the modest price, £120) I've bought one of these -

https://www.forstnerbands.co.uk/prod...mega-seamaster

- and am very impressed with the quality for that money. I'm now summoning the courage to fit it (can't be bothered to fit masking tape ... I'm sure I won't slip and scratch it ... aaaaaaaaaaaaagh). But was wondering what others thought of these.

I bought one about a month ago, for my Speedmaster. I gave up wearing the Speedmaster on the OEM bracelet a couple of years ago. Couldn’t get a good fit and didn’t like the male end links.

For me the Forstner is much better to wear and easy to get a good fit. I also like that it’s lighter than the OEM.

I also like the Forstner flat link (I bought the version with polished side links, rather than fully brushed).

Both were easy enough to fit using the spring bars provided.

I’m really happy with mine. I bought an extra set of end links so that I can fit it to both the Seamaster Pro and the Speedmaster. To date I’ve only tried it with the latter.

Fitting was easy.

I also really like the expanding links feature.

I did have an OEM 1450 about 10 years ago, but foolishly let it go. This fills that void very nicely.

Wondering how these compare to the Uncle Seiko offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been considering one of these, or the US version for my Seamaster.

The reason mines on the block is the parallel bracelet is not something I’m keen on, so these replacements which are tapered are appealing to me.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Thanks for the replies; Colin, that looks superb I must say.

They look great. I wonder if they would work on a PO. PO bracelet is sooo heavy.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Wondering how these compare to the Uncle Seiko offering.

Forstners screwed links vs collar and pin on the Seiko. I picked up a used US flat link off SC and used it to good effect on my 165.024 but can’t help thinking the Forstners edge it in overall quality.

On the subject, does anybody have experience of any of the Forstner offerings on a 165.024 Seamaster 300 ? Would like to try their version but not sure whether the Speedy or SMP version would be best fitting option.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    They look great. I wonder if they would work on a PO. PO bracelet is sooo heavy.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Oooh there's a thought, the bracelet on my PO 2500 is one of the best looking but I agree it is heavy. I've got an Uncle Seiko US1035 flat link bracelet on its way to me for my Speedy. It might be worth dropping Martin a line.
    Last edited by bigvic; 19th December 2021 at 11:33.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’m really happy with mine. I bought an extra set of end links so that I can fit it to both the Seamaster Pro and the Speedmaster. To date I’ve only tried it with the latter.

Fitting was easy.

I also really like the expanding links feature.

I did have an OEM 1450 about 10 years ago, but foolishly let it go. This fills that void very nicely.

v good idea to have it fit both. might borrow a page out of your book

Master
    The code 10%ONUS will get you.....
    10% off.
    Last edited by inthered; 2nd January 2022 at 16:41.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    The code 10%ONUS will get you,,,
    10% off.
    Thank you. Just ordered the 1450 for the Speedmaster and the additional links for the Seamaster.

I also have one on the way for the FOIS.

I already have the FOIS on a Forstner flat link, but I feel it makes the Speedie feel too bling or cheapens it somehow.

I've never been 100% happy with the Speedie on any strap or bracelet, but have always liked the 1450 and hope it's the one for me. If not then the FOIS will be on the sales corner this week. Although I may try a komfit before that happens.

Forstner 1450

In case it’s of interest, Forstner has now made available a clasp upgrade that fits the 1450. It’s a milled part, rather than pressed, and has a push button release.

Currently available on the US site. I’ll be looking out for it from U.K. suppliers.

https://forstnerbands.com/collection...n-milled-clasp
    Last edited by colin t; 3rd January 2022 at 08:58.

I just received mine.

Here's what you get, all expertly displayed on my ratty old blue cloth:

Nice box...

Everything you need, including screwdriver and spring bars...

Endlinks are solid...

Screwed links (on one side only)...

The supplied screwdriver is perfectly fine but I prefer my own. Endlinks fitted easily...

Expanding links in the clasp...

They expand more than this, but you get the idea...

Clasp has 8 holes of micro-adjustment...

Money shot...

I had previously tried the US version, but I returned it due to very sharp edges on my particular sample. I have no complaints at all with this one. It's exactly what was I was hoping for, and I expect I'll be wearing the Speedmaster more often.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I just received mine.

Here's what you get, all expertly displayed on my ratty old blue cloth:

Nice box...

Everything you need, including screwdriver and spring bars...

Endlinks are solid...

Screwed links (on one side only)...

The supplied screwdriver is perfectly fine but I prefer my own. Endlinks fitted easily...

Expanding links in the clasp...

They expand more than this, but you get the idea...

Clasp has 8 holes of micro-adjustment...

Money shot...

I had previously tried the US version, but I returned it due to very sharp edges on my particular sample. I have no complaints at all with this one. It's exactly what was I was hoping for, and I expect I'll be wearing the Speedmaster more often.

TT
    Great review. I had a US version but similarly found the sharp edges were a disappointment on an otherwise great looking bracelet. The Forstner seems to take it to the next level

Yeah, thanks for that. Much appreciated.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Apprentice
    Love mine

Seriously tempted by a Forstner 1450 my my SMP Mark II.

I have some 660 end links that should fit it nicely.

Journeyman

These look great, the main thing I don't like about the 1861 is the bracelet.

Master
    Forstner 1450 on the Seamaster.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1450 on the SMP 300. I like it, but I'll fit it to the Speedy next week and it'll probably stay on that.

1450 on my new 2021 Speedy

Having owned the original 1450 twice that I had set up on my 105.012 and a 145.022 with 1863 (both long gone for far to little money) and not liking the clasp on the new Speedmaster bracelet, I decided to test the JB 1450 (the US seems not to be available for the new Speedy).
    I am very happy with the result, although quality is not at the same level that the 1450. The screws to adjust the bracelet were a bit sticky. The 1450 had also polished sides if I remember well.
    I have ordered the milled clasp now, not sure if I will mount it as I really like the classic/retro feeling of the actual one. the elastic links are fantastic, hope they will stay solid......

Cheers,
    Serge

How do people find the expansion links? Are they hair pullers?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    How do people find the expansion links? Are they hair pullers?
    I got nipped once whilst wearing it all day, but it wasn’t a full on hair puller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I got nipped once whilst wearing it all day, but it wasn’t a full on hair puller.
    Thank you Jon.

I have the Uncle Seiko 1171 and it doesn't have any sharp edges. I like the idea of a 1450 but I'm not sure about the expansion links. With so many adjustment points on the clasp, I'm not sure there's a need for the expansion links.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

love mine ,saves the original getting damaged

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    With so many adjustment points on the clasp, I'm not sure there's a need for the expansion links.
    I have one of those old expanding bracelets (where all the links are stretchy) from the 1960s and I don't like it much. I also have never found the need to adjust my bracelet during the day, so I assume my wrist doesn't swell much. I don't think I've worn out a bracelet with "stretch" either. So I really wasn't sure about the expansion links on this one.

But the location of the expanding links just under the wrist means only the most hirsute need worry about hair pulling. And the implementation itself seems useful:

When you move your wrist even slightly, the expansion links take up the tension. Unlike "easy links" or regular clasp adjustment holes, there is no manual intervention required. It operates automatically, smoothly, and one side can stretch while the other doesn't if necessary. This does seem to make the bracelet very comfortable, while saving stretching force being applied to the fixed links.

I imagine the stretch links will lose some of their springiness over time, and certainly it's another place to need cleaning, but I think the balance of goodness is in their favour.

Not my best demo shots again, but I see the links working when I just move my wrist a little:

TT