closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CWC Fatboy Reissue Review

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Not trying to highjack the thread but I would also suggest the A.F 0210 strap. I ordered one for my Fatboy but will likely take a while for arrive. Rob has created a company that painfully recreates iconic military straps. My previous pics show his VB Hygienique strap and here is the A.F. 0210. I have no affiliation with his, just love his straps.
    Here on my 1980 RN Diver Reissue.

They are lovely soft straps
    I have one on a WWW, a Hamilton 6b and a Rhodesian Issued Roamer. Super soft and comfortable with infinite adjustment.

Not trying to highjack the thread but I would also suggest the A.F 0210 strap. I ordered one for my Fatboy but will likely take a while for arrive. Rob has created a company that painfully recreates iconic military straps. My previous pics show his VB Hygienique strap and here is the A.F. 0210. I have no affiliation with his, just love his straps.
    Here on my 1980 RN Diver Reissue.

Looks excellent. I’ll be getting one of those as well. Loving the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I can definitely relate to your sons experience.

Out of interest - did you buy 19mm CWC straps for it? I can only see the grey ones I stock but fancy some different colours. I find the CWC straps really good quality, especially for the price.

I’ve owned a Mellor. Happy to dig out some photos and write a review.

I bought the 20mm straps. No problems with the fitting. Just a bit tighter to pull through the lugs. Much better than having a gap with the 18mm straps.

CWC Fatboy Reissue Review

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I bought the 20mm straps. No problems with the fitting. Just a bit tighter to pull through the lugs. Much better than having a gap with the 18mm straps.
    You’re right, dug this 20mm NATO out - perfect for the job.

Last edited by TheGent; 23rd December 2021 at 14:36.

On a CWC NATO - enjoying an afternoon stroll.

Lovely 😊

Apprentice
    Still wearing mine on the VB strap. The A.F. 0210 hasn't arrived yet. Still can't get over this watch.

Still wearing mine on the VB strap. The A.F. 0210 hasn't arrived yet. Still can't get over this watch.
    Looks really good.

You and me both, I’ve not owned a watch I’ve enjoyed this much in a long time (if ever!).

Apprentice
    OK. I finally got the AF. 0210 strap from Rob. I think this is the one for me.

OK. I finally got the AF. 0210 strap from Rob. I think this is the one for me.

That looks really lovely.

Perlon today…

Craftsman
    Looks good on the perlon!

I haven't tried them so might give one a go on my Smiths PRS29 - I assume that the buckle tang just finds its 'natural' hole between the weave?

I also really like the AF.0210 straps but I wonder if having poked the tang through the canvas weave and decide that the strap needs to be tighter/looser you would then have to put another hole in it and make the strap a bit tatty quiet quickly - does that work? Or am I overthinking it!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Looks good on the perlon!

I haven't tried them so might give one a go on my Smiths PRS29 - I assume that the buckle tang just finds its 'natural' hole between the weave?
    Thank you!

Yes exactly, you just use the weave.

It’ is a very comfortable strap.

Apprentice
    Trying a new find from a guy on another forum. His words "US issued 5/8 (16mm) inch OD green issued straps, circa 1974".

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Looks good on the per

I also really like the AF.0210 straps but I wonder if having poked the tang through the canvas weave and decide that the strap needs to be tighter/looser you would then have to put another hole in it and make the strap a bit tatty quiet quickly - does that work? Or am I overthinking it!!?
    You may be overthinking it IMO. Here is my first one after wearing almost daily for close to a year.

Trying a new find from a guy on another forum. His words "US issued 5/8 (16mm) inch OD green issued straps, circa 1974".

Sorry, the smaller size and fixed bar showing on both sides is not a good look. Nice strap, just not on a G10.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Sorry, the smaller size and fixed bar showing on both sides is not a good look. Nice strap, just not on a G10.
    Normally I would agree but I was going for the Bond look.

Reviving this thread to show a side by side comparison with the real deal. Original is on the left in all shots.

The differences are negligible. The vintage watch is slightly heavier. The dial printing is a touch finer on the original (and better for it). Ultimately the original has that vibe that can never be reproduced with faux patina etc.
    But the reissue is superb and certainly captures the spirit of the real thing.

Nice comparison photos Graham. It is a strange reissue for Silvermans to do given that the price of both is very similar, I appreciate that some people will prefer a new watch with a warranty and a vintage feel over a 42 year watch and any risk that is associated with its ownership, although I think that is often over stated after having many of these serviced and restored. Sure that adds to the cost, but these 40 odd year old watches are perfectly fine to own.

Like the 80 and 81 divers, I’m guessing that different manufacturers were used for the dials in the early years. 1980 watches tend to be a light burnt brown shade of patina, but 1981 Fatboys (try finding one) and Navigators tend to be that more yellowish shade that some collectors prefer. I think the images perhaps show a minor error on the reissue as the feux plots tend to have that yellowish shade of later watches.

Clearly not all watches will have aged the same, but there is a general trend if you look at enough watches. For example the early 1982 Fatboys tend to be that light mint green shade.

This completes the ramblings of a madman just before bedtime

Nice comparison photos Graham. It is a strange reissue for Silvermans to do given that the price of both is very similar, I appreciate that some people will prefer a new watch with a warranty and a vintage feel over a 42 year watch and any risk that is associated with its ownership, although I think that is often over stated after having many of these serviced and restored. Sure that adds to the cost, but these 40 odd year old watches are perfectly fine to own.

Like the 80 and 81 divers, I’m guessing that different manufacturers were used for the dials in the early years. 1980 watches tend to be a light burnt brown shade of patina, but 1981 Fatboys (try finding one) and Navigators tend to be that more yellowish shade that some collectors prefer. I think the images perhaps show a minor error on the reissue as the feux plots tend to have that yellowish shade of later watches.

Clearly not all watches will have aged the same, but there is a general trend if you look at enough watches. For example the early 1982 Fatboys tend to be that light mint green shade.

This completes the ramblings of a madman just before bedtime
    Good points Ken.

I think with regards to the lume, they’ve probably gone for something that looks vintage, rather than matching the true look of a 1980 model. It’s still one of the nicest faux lume watches I’ve seen, and I think it tones down the starkness of a whiter/lighter lume against the dial. The Mellor-72 would be better with this lume in my humble opinion, for example.

As with many watches the retail price does seems high, but you can pick them up lightly used for something far more sensible.

I do wish CWC and some others would use a matt finish faux tritium look. On some watches the plots look shiny and have a plastic like appearance, yet some other manufacturers doing homages will use a matt finish on theirs which I think looks better and more like the original vintage watches.

Just a personal opinion.

I do wish CWC and some others would use a matt finish faux tritium look. On some watches the plots look shiny and have a plastic like appearance, yet some other manufacturers doing homages will use a matt finish on theirs which I think looks better and more like the original vintage watches.

Just a personal opinion.
    Completely agree there, I'm not too keen on the glossy look they've been using since around 2006, prefer the matt plots. The reason I really like my '04 SBS also.

Thanks for the comparison photos Graham, those are fantastic.

Yes - now that you’ve pointed it out, the glossy lume does appear contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Thanks for the comparison photos Graham, those are fantastic.
    Thanks very much