closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWC Fatboy Reissue Review

CWC Fatboy Reissue Review

I thought I’ would start a separate thread to review this fantastic watch having now owned it for 3 weeks and wearing it every day.

Firstly, it’ has a quartz movement. Yes I’ have owned quartz before. Yes I think they have no soul. Yes I prefer mechanical. But this breaks all of those rules for me. It’ is so good to pick up a watch that is always running. And the fact the original is quartz makes it’s less of an issue to me. This hobby doesn’t have to be rational right? Of course this also means little to no service costs, excellent accuracy, plus it’s less ‘delicate’ than a mechanical movement. So the quartz movement is a huge pro for me.

Ok, so that out of the way, what do I love about it. Well pretty much everything. Plexi is far and away my favourite material for a crystal. If you get it, you get it, and nothing else will compare. The distortion when you rotate your wrist is fantastic, but equally it makes for an incredibly legible dial. Also, the fact it picks up scratches and scuffs along with the case means the watch watch will age like a real vintage Fatboy and I like that idea.

On to the dial. The faux patina has always been another no no for me, but here it works because the numerals and rail track are in white. Meaning it’s still legible, but yes overall effect is that it doesn’t look stark and ‘too new’. Oh and I much prefer the original CWC logo.

The case. Love the bead blasting, it works really well here. Not too blingy, exactly what a tool watch should be. Also the case is beautifully finished - every contour and edge is perfect. And the ‘fat’ case gives the watch a nice heft.

The famous battery hatch back is very authentic, looking a photos of originals. And the case lettering is simple, deep and looks excellent.

Any cons - maybe water resistance, but I think 3atm is fine for my lifestyle.

In a sea of homages this feels like the real deal, because it is!

My new favourite watch.

As I’ have stated before elsewhere - this may have ruined the hobby for me.

Enjoy the photos!

Last edited by TheGent; 18th December 2021 at 12:45.

Master
    It’s funny how a relatively inexpensive watch can tick so many boxes for the wearer and make the more expensive pieces in a collection redundant. I’ve read your various posts about this recent arrival and I think you’ve encouraged several members here to consider picking one up. I know I’m tempted. I don’t know why the fixed bars are a no no for so many others. It looks just right on a Nato or Perlon strap.

Going to ask a dumb question: What would you use to open up the battery hatch without scratching the case back?

Thanks for the review. Have to say I’m quite tempted to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It’s funny how a relatively inexpensive watch can tick so many boxes for the wearer and make the more expensive pieces in a collection redundant. I’ve read your various posts about this recent arrival and I think you’ve encouraged several members here to consider picking one up. I know I’m tempted. I don’t know why the fixed bars are a no no for so many others. It looks just right on a Nato or Perlon strap.

Going to ask a dumb question: What would you use to open up the battery hatch without scratching the case back?
    I think an inexpensive watch often highlights that the hobby is about enjoying watches first and foremost.

Fixed bars are a pro for me - you’ve just got to find the straps that work for you.

I think the idea behind the battery hatch was to be able to open it with a coin - could use a coin with tape on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Thanks for the review. Have to say I’m quite tempted to try one.
    Go for it. It is quite a specific style, but if you like military watches it’s one of the best I’ve owned.

Master
    I think this costs £349 direct from CWC or Silvermans. Most people aren’t going to spend that much on a watch. Most youngsters will just check the time with their mobile. But then you look at the cost of fashion watches like Gucci, Hugo Boss and others and then the CWC looks to be an even better deal. Of course, you could spend the same, or maybe less, on an original model but I’d be happy with this current one.

Craftsman
    Nice review!

I've not been 'into' this hobby for long but about 8 years ago my wife purchased me a new G10 form CWC as a Xmas present. Prior to that I only ever wore cheap quartz watches as I had a job where where they would be easily broken. I really liked the G10 and the only negatives for me were, as you say, the WR rating, which on that was a bit more at 5ATM. I also had a few issues with the acrylic as it would pick up the scratches quiet easily.

I sold it and purchased a Precista PRS 10 which, having a sapphire crystal and 100m WR solved those issues for me. Nice watch but that went to another home (didn't like the date window) but your review has made think about this reissue and pushed me towards the CWC site again. I now totally 'get' the acrylic argument and the other points that you mention and the extra thickness looks great. Also looks good on some the other pictures you posted with the AF 0210 strap.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 18th December 2021 at 13:18.

Great review - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I think this costs £349 direct from CWC or Silvermans. Most people aren’t going to spend that much on a watch. Most youngsters will just check the time with their mobile. But then you look at the cost of fashion watches like Gucci, Hugo Boss and others and then the CWC looks to be an even better deal. Of course, you could spend the same, or maybe less, on an original model but I’d be happy with this current one.
    Considering the heritage and the fact it is Swiss Made makes it a bargain compared to what other brands could/would charge I reckon!

I like the originals, but the modern movement makes it a more desirable and practical watch for me.

Coming back you your point about fixed bars, I beginning to prefer them as it allows for a faster strap change and I find this watch looks good on both nylon and leather straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Nice review!

I've not been 'into' this hobby for long but about 8 years ago my wife purchased me a new G10 form CWC as a Xmas present. Prior to that I only ever wore cheap quartz watches as I had a job where where they would be easily broken. I really liked the G10 and the only negatives for me were, as you say, the WR rating, which on that was a bit more at 5ATM. I also had a few issues with the acrylic as it would pick up the scratches quiet easily.

I sold it and purchased a Precista PRS 10 which, having a sapphire crystal and 100m WR solved those issues for me. Nice watch but that went to another home (didn't like the date window) but your review has made think about this reissue and pushed me towards the CWC site again. I now totally 'get' the acrylic argument and the other points that you mention and the extra thickness looks great. Also looks good on some the other pictures you posted with the AF 0210 strap.
    Thank you!

A CWC G10 is a great gift.

I like the look of the Precista PRS10, but I definitely prefer a lack of date window. The simplicity of the design really appeals to me.

Someone one else posted the AF 0210 strap, but I am tempted to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Great review - thanks!
    You’re welcome - pushing you closer to buying one I suspect

Some shots in the outdoors. Like a moonwatch, the acrylic crystal can give the dial a dark grey look at certain angles, giving the watch more character I think.

Last edited by TheGent; 18th December 2021 at 18:56.

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down.
    I originally discounted them but they are a better stab at a reissue than the early diver (which I own) still not sure I will buy one but I have dug out my infrequently worn (but when I bought it NOS) 06 for a wear tomorrow
    Enjoy the watch.

Great review. I've said for years that the G10 Fatboy is my overall favourite watch. It's one of those rare cases of watch design perfection, which is kinda funny considering it was designed as a built for purpose cheap military watch. I find the case design so aesthetically pleasing, can't help admire all those curves and sharp edges.

They did a superb job with the reissue, has to be up there with the best of reissues available.

If I didn't already have an original I would 100% buy one of these.

Apprentice
    Thank you for the thoughtful review. Much appreciated.
    Mine has displaced my CWC 1980 Diver Reissue, at least for a while. Been wearing it daily for several weeks now and love it.
    I just ordered one of Rob's A.F. 0210 straps for it just to change up from the VB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down.
    I originally discounted them but they are a better stab at a reissue than the early diver (which I own) still not sure I will buy one but I have dug out my infrequently worn (but when I bought it NOS) 06 for a wear tomorrow
    Enjoy the watch.
    Thank you. Which diver reissue do you have - I like the look of the ‘83 quartz.

Enjoy wearing your 06

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Great review. I've said for years that the G10 Fatboy is my overall favourite watch. It's one of those rare cases of watch design perfection, which is kinda funny considering it was designed as a built for purpose cheap military watch. I find the case design so aesthetically pleasing, can't help admire all those curves and sharp edges.

They did a superb job with the reissue, has to be up there with the best of reissues available.

If I didn't already have an original I would 100% buy one of these.
    Thank you.

Yes the case is excellent - seems that the simple essential aesthetic of a military watch can surpass lots of ‘cleverer’ designs.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful review. Much appreciated.
    Mine has displaced my CWC 1980 Diver Reissue, at least for a while. Been wearing it daily for several weeks now and love it.
    I just ordered one of Rob's A.F. 0210 straps for it just to change up from the VB.
    Thank you.

Looking forward to seeing yours on the AF 0210 as well - definitely to try some of Rob’s straps.

TG. Recall you owned the CWC Mellor a while back. Did that wear larger or does this Fatboy reissue have the better wrist presence?

Actually tempted to get both and compare but worried about the size despite my small wrists. Early in the journey I had a Precista G10 and thought it was tiny and moved it on but I was in to larger watches back then. Still have a couple of larger divers but also enjoy my 36mm Smiths Everest, so think I’m warming to the option of more modest sized pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    TG. Recall you owned the CWC Mellor a while back. Did that wear larger or does this Fatboy reissue have the better wrist presence?

Actually tempted to get both and compare but worried about the size despite my small wrists. Early in the journey I had a Precista G10 and thought it was tiny and moved it on but I was in to larger watches back then. Still have a couple of larger divers but also enjoy my 36mm Smiths Everest, so think I’m warming to the option of more modest sized pieces.

To be honest they both have a very different feel. The Fatboy is more chunky and thicker, as you would expect.
    They both wear bigger than the Everest as the plexiglass opens up the dial.
    It has crossed my mind that the Mellor and Fatboy reissues could be the perfect 2 watch collection, at least for me!

Thanks for the insight.

Might pick up both and give them a whirl. Had seen the Lostboy but think the Mellor perhaps looks better value for money of the two.

Think you should be on commission. None of these were on my radar until I saw your threads. Now I’m in full lust mode…….

Thanks for the insight.

Might pick up both and give them a whirl. Had seen the Lostboy but think the Mellor perhaps looks better value for money of the two.

Think you should be on commission. None of these were on my radar until I saw your threads. Now I’m in full lust mode…….

Sorry about that!

I just felt, particularly with the Fatboy, that it was an experience worth sharing!

Thanks for the insight.

The Mellor is superb IMO - I have had mine for a year now and worn it nearly every day.

The Mellor is superb IMO - I have had mine for a year now and worn it nearly every day.
    On the back of your endorsement I have decided to give one a go. Thanks to The Gent, it seems that it will be sooner than I anticipated. Thanks both (said with genuine sincerity)

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, Graham. I think it may well push me over the edge buy one. Cheers!

On the back of your endorsement I have decided to give one a go. Thanks to The Gent, it seems that it will be sooner than I anticipated. Thanks both (said with genuine sincerity)

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this review, Graham. I think it may well push me over the edge buy one. Cheers!
    You are welcome!

I dont think you’ll be disappointed if you order one.

Forgot the lume shot….

I have a few of the 1980 originals and my son has one of the new reissues. He thinks it is fantastic and wears it all the time now. He has a number of other much fancier watches but the reissue is getting most wrist time at the moment. I bought him some CWC straps to go with it and they are decent quality.
    I quite fancy a Mellor but would like to see it in person rather than ordering on line. Too much Omicron in London to risk a trip from the Midlands.
    Do we have any Mellor fans on here with any similar in depth reviews?

Master
    I've never had a Mellor but had the CWC T20 (quartz but same case) and have a Hamilton W10. I really like the case shape and find it very wearable. As is it a smaller watch if needs a NATO to give it wrist presence. After a few years of not wearing NATO straps it was the watch that convinced me I like them again.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I have a few of the 1980 originals and my son has one of the new reissues. He thinks it is fantastic and wears it all the time now. He has a number of other much fancier watches but the reissue is getting most wrist time at the moment. I bought him some CWC straps to go with it and they are decent quality.
    I quite fancy a Mellor but would like to see it in person rather than ordering on line. Too much Omicron in London to risk a trip from the Midlands.
    I can definitely relate to your sons experience.

Out of interest - did you buy 19mm CWC straps for it? I can only see the grey ones I stock but fancy some different colours. I find the CWC straps really good quality, especially for the price.

I’ve owned a Mellor. Happy to dig out some photos and write a review.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I can definitely relate to your sons experience.

Out of interest - did you buy 19mm CWC straps for it? I can only see the grey ones I stock but fancy some different colours. I find the CWC straps really good quality, especially for the price.

I’ve owned a Mellor. Happy to dig out some photos and write a review.

I think they only do the grey in 19mm at the moment. For what it's worth I've been using the 20mm CWC NATO straps on mine for a few years and they fit near perfect once in place, just a bit trickier to pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I think they only do the grey in 19mm at the moment. For what it's worth I've been using the 20mm CWC NATO straps on mine for a few years and they fit near perfect once in place, just a bit trickier to pull through.
    Thank you - might for a couple of 20mm ones then.

Just put the Fatboy on a 20mm single pass leather and it definitely works.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if the CWC leather strap is a 'proper' Nato with the 'flappy bit' that goes under the watch head? Or, is it more of a single pass with the Nato type hardware? I can't make it out from the pictures on the website.

This one - https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...le-watch-strap

I see it's described as a 'NATO style' strap. I would imagine that, if it is a Nato strap, a double thickness of leather under the watch head might make it sit a bit high on the wrist?
    Last edited by Eddiex; 22nd December 2021 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I quite fancy a Mellor but would like to see it in person rather than ordering on line.

I bought a Mellor about a year ago and it is really growing on me. It has been my go-to watch for some time now.

I've been thinking of writing a review, but the Hodinkee one sums it up quite well (if not concisely):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...or-72-hands-on

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Does anyone know if the CWC leather strap is a 'proper' Nato with the 'flappy bit' that goes under the watch head? Or, is it more of a single pass with the Nato type hardware? I can't make it out from the pictures on the website.

This one - https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...le-watch-strap

I see it's described as a 'NATO style' strap. I would imagine that, if it is a Nato strap, a double thickness of leather under the watch head might make it sit a bit high on the wrist?
    Based on the position of the keepers, I'm pretty sure it a NATO rather than a single pass. I got a single pass leather from SteveO straps. It cost a bit more, but the leather is fantastic taken from old military document bags

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Based on the position of the keepers, I'm pretty sure it a NATO rather than a single pass. I got a single pass leather from SteveO straps. It cost a bit more, but the leather is fantastic taken from old military document bags
    Thanks - I've just been looking at Steveostraps - they do look rather nice. Is it the Vintage Military Pull Through that you got and what watch did you use it on? Any pics? I was thinking of trying it on my Smiths PRS 29A - I see that is the watch that they use in the advert.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 22nd December 2021 at 14:20.

Master
    That is the one. Here it is on an 83 reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    That is the one. Here it is on an 83 reissue.

Looks really good - both strap and watch.

I could be tempted when they are back in stock.

Here’s the Fatboy on a single pass leather strap made by our own Vekslak (watchstrapheaven):

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Here’s the Fatboy on a single pass leather strap made by our own Vekslak (watchstrapheaven):

That looks really great.

Looks good.

But I would remind everyone that Eulit Perlon is the thing - you really cant go wrong with it.

I rarely wear anything else.

I think visually and historically, yours is the best option. However, to have a sapphire crystal and 200m WR for £50 less appeals to me more.

Looks good.

But I would remind everyone that Eulit Perlon is the thing - you really cant go wrong with it.

I rarely wear anything else.

Looks the business, no doubt. I’ll have a look if I have one!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think visually and historically, yours is the best option. However, to have a sapphire crystal and 200m WR for £50 less appeals to me more.
    Agreed and totally rational thinking. That doesn’t always apply in this hobby!

No it doesn't! I can't believe I'm looking at buying a watch three days before Christmas....and it's all your fault

Saying that, the same spec Precista PRS-10 is less than £200.

Anyone fancy a pair of Red Wings?

QUOTE=TheGent;5899136]Agreed and totally rational thinking. That doesn’t always apply in this hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd December 2021 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No it doesn't! I can't believe I'm looking at buying a watch three days before Christmas....and it's all your fault

Saying that, the same spec Precista PRS-10 is less than £200.

Anyone fancy a pair of Red Wings?

QUOTE=TheGent;5899136]Agreed and totally rational thinking. That doesn’t always apply in this hobby!

[/QUOTE]

Haha - my apologies

All I can say is I’ve had lots of watches, but there is really something extra special about this one.

Haha - my apologies

All I can say is I’ve had lots of watches, but there is really something extra special about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A couple more

Last edited by TheGent; 22nd December 2021 at 21:09.

Apprentice
    Not trying to highjack the thread but I would also suggest the A.F 0210 strap. I ordered one for my Fatboy but will likely take a while for arrive. Rob has created a company that painfully recreates iconic military straps. My previous pics show his VB Hygienique strap and here is the A.F. 0210. I have no affiliation with his, just love his straps.
    Here on my 1980 RN Diver Reissue.