closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Jethro

Master

RIP Jethro

One funny guy made laugh loads of times.

Sad news.

I played against him when he was playing for St. Just, I think he got better and went on to Penzance/Newlyn.

We also used to stay at his brother Les' pub on the docks in Penzance; Les was if anything funnier that Geoff, which is saying something.

Thanks Geoff - you gave me some laughs over the years, you really did!

This Covid is taking some star performers before their time.
    Last edited by unclealec; 15th December 2021 at 16:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sad news indeed, I love to watch the snippets of him on the video thread on Facebook while waiting for my grandkids to come out of school.
    RIP Jethro I will 😢

Master
    RIP Jethro, provided entertainment on many a boozed up night.

I even have a picture of me taken on Cambourne station inspired entirely by you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    RIP Jethro, provided entertainment on many a boozed up night.

I even have a picture of me taken on Cambourne station inspired entirely by you.
    I didn’t think the train stopped at Camborne?

Master
    "Don' be daaaft", Denzil said, "o'il neve get moi 'ed through tha fence". Best version of the sheep sha**ing joke I've ever heard.

Gutted, one of my Dad's fave comedians but never saw him live. We tried to book tickets to see him in 2020 (Preston or Blackpool) but obvious developments meant it was a no-go.

I saw him many years ago and as well as being bloody funny he came across as a genuinely nice guy.

RIP Jethro.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A great shame. He only came to my attention fairly recently but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching some of his sets on YouTube. For those unfamiliar with his humour, here's a 93 second clip of one of his 'clean' jokes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUopUrwj79Y - simple and delightful

RIP Jethro

Blog Entries
    Saw him live and it was a great show. Sorry to hear he has gone.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I saw him live many years ago. To a lady on the front row: "good evening madam, haven't YOU got a hairy chest?....oh no, your cleavage goes deeper than I thought!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The goat

Turd at the party

Funny funny man.

Hello

A sad loss to the World of Comedy, a true gentleman and so very funny and humble.

Master
    V funny guy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

One of the greatest RIP Jethro

I watched a couple of his you tube clips
    He was a very funny man.

Loved how he wanted to take action against Simon and Garfunkel for breach of copyright over his song
    “Bit of trouble over at Bridgwater “

Master
    Last time I saw him was in Maidstone, I was with the wife & daughter. We were having a drink in the bar & Jethro came in & made a beeline for my Cornwall rugby shirt. The wife & I had met him before a couple of times & he remembered us, then I said we'd bought our daughter along to the show. He gave her a huge grin & said "They must not like you much, bringing you to this rubbish!"
    It's worth looking out a documentary on YouTube, something like "A Day in the Life of Jethro", showing him on his farm with his horses, he was a successful breeder & shower of horses & apparently a very good clay pigeon shot.
    So long pard, thanks for the memories.

I'd heard he had Parkinson's and was retiring. Such a funny man. I listened to his records many moons ago. RIP Jethro

Obit in the Daily Telegraph.

GEOFFREY ROWE, who has died aged 73, was a Cornish stand-up comedian known as Jethro, with an act so blue that he subverted the conventions of mainstream comedy with his old-school observational style and politically incorrect humour

Starting out as an amateur pub entertainer in Cornwall in the 1970s, Jethro found national fame on television spinning off-colour stories during guest appearances with Des O’Connor and Jim Davidson.

Even when the bad language was cleaned up for television, his routine – riffing on overweight women, incongruous sex, bodily parts and functions, not to mention black and gay people – eventually cast him beyond the pale for family viewing.

For Jethro, wives were a recurring theme, as in the following gag – told on Des O’Connor’s show, in deadpan style with a pronounced West Country twang, the host apparently helpless with laughter:

“… She’s on the plane now.”

“Where’s she going?”

“She isn’t going anywhere. She’s takin’ inch off the bottom of the kitchen door.”

Not that Jethro confined himself to the domestic hearth: “I went to the doctor’s and she said, ‘Jethro, you’ve got to stop masturbating’; and I said, ‘Why?’ and she said, ‘I’m trying to examine you’. ”

Yet despite the casual misogyny, blasphemy, sexism, racism and homophobia, his live-performance videos and audiobooks continued to sell in their thousands.

A master of precision timing, the rotund Jethro could work an (overwhelmingly older) audience in a manner redolent of northern comics at working-men’s clubs. Perhaps against expectations, his humour seemed to travel, even as far as Australia, where he enjoyed a sizeable following.

In character, Rowe would draw on his rural background to present himself as a yokel or at best a bearded West Country farmer directly out of central casting.

Indeed, much of his humour was of the farmyard variety, with gags about flatulent beasts of the field, rutting and tupping, interleaved in the course of his stage performances with sonorous renditions of country and western standards, accompanying himself on guitar.

Inevitably, even his core audience in the South West divided between ardent admirers and those who deplored what they considered the negative image of the Cornishman that Jethro perpetuated. One Anglican vicar was so distressed to find that the unboundaried comedian had agreed to stand as a godparent at a baptism in his church that he refused to officiate.

A running gag in Jethro’s live set concerned his imaginary friend Denzil Penberthy from Camborne. His stories about Denzil reached their apotheosis in “Train Don’t Stop Camborne Wednesdays”, perhaps his single best-known routine.

The son of a farm manager, Geoffrey McIntyre Rowe was born on March 8 1948 at the village of St Buryan, Cornwall. His father conducted the local male voice choir and his mother played the chapel organ.

When he was seven, an accident involving a cartload of mangels left him with one leg shorter than the other and a lifelong limp. On leaving Cape Cornwall School in St Just, he was apprenticed as a carpenter and went to work as a timber man, erecting props in the Levant tin mine.

At the age of 18, Rowe joined an operatic society in St Just as a bass-baritone. In the 1970s he played rugby at prop forward for Penzance and Newlyn, known as the Cornish Pirates, and became an accomplished clay-pigeon shooter.

In the evenings he sang traditional songs in Cornish pubs. “One night I ran out of voice,” he recalled. “I couldn’t sing any more, so I just told a joke instead … funnily, it went down a storm.”

Taking the name Jethro – a corruption of Geoff (or Jeff) Rowe as well as a nod to a character in the American 1960s television sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies – he launched himself as an amateur stand-up in the 1980s.

He was spotted on local television by Des O’Connor’s agent John Miles and booked for his first nationwide TV appearance on the Des O’Connor Tonight show in 1990, followed by a return booking for the Christmas Eve show later that year.

As Jethro, he appeared regularly on Jim Davidson’s Generation Game, on two occasions showing contestants how to make a Cornish pasty. A series of multiple out-takes, excised when he and Davidson dissolved into uncontrollable laughter, also featured on “blooper” compilations.

Reckoned wittier than other near-the-knuckle comics like Roy “Chubby” Brown, he was widely admired in the entertainment business. Dawn French considered him “supremely gifted”, and the comedian Richard Herring, while astonished at much of Jethro’s material, conceded that “his stuff isn’t as horrible as that of some of his contemporaries. Which is a bit of a negative positive.”

He hosted two TV specials under the title The Jethro Junction on HTV in 1995 and in 2001 appeared on the Royal Variety Performance in the presence of the Queen, screened on ITV.

In 1993 Jethro released his first video, A Portion of Jethro, which sold 150,000 copies in two months. A further nine video titles followed, with DVD sales of more than four million.

Although latterly rarely seen on television, at his peak Jethro sold more than 250,000 theatre seats a year at venues across the country. To help audiences deal with his Cornish accent, he would pretend to be drunk, slowing and slurring his delivery.

Rowe was an accomplished horse breeder, and a seven times winner at the Horse of the Year Show. His string of horses included the brood mare Flying Iris, a sister to Best Mate, and Celtic Swing’s stallion offspring, Rocamadour. He also worked for charity, and in 1995 walked from Land’s End to his home on the Cornwall-Devon border, raising £20,000 for a new cancer scanner.

Having retired last year, he was reportedly fully jabbed, but died in hospital after contracting Covid-19. In a Facebook tribute, Great Western Railway announced that “the train does indeed now stop at Camborne on a Wednesday … Except for today as we are running a rail replacement service due to improvement works.”

Rowe is survived by his long-term partner Jennie and his two sons.

Geoffrey Rowe (Jethro), born March 8 1948, died December 14 2021

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Obit in the Daily Telegraph.

GEOFFREY ROWE, who has died aged 73, was a Cornish stand-up comedian known as Jethro, with an act so blue that he subverted the conventions of mainstream comedy with his old-school observational style and politically incorrect humour

Starting out as an amateur pub entertainer in Cornwall in the 1970s, Jethro found national fame on television spinning off-colour stories during guest appearances with Des O’Connor and Jim Davidson.

Even when the bad language was cleaned up for television, his routine – riffing on overweight women, incongruous sex, bodily parts and functions, not to mention black and gay people – eventually cast him beyond the pale for family viewing.

For Jethro, wives were a recurring theme, as in the following gag – told on Des O’Connor’s show, in deadpan style with a pronounced West Country twang, the host apparently helpless with laughter:

“… She’s on the plane now.”

“Where’s she going?”

“She isn’t going anywhere. She’s takin’ inch off the bottom of the kitchen door.”

Not that Jethro confined himself to the domestic hearth: “I went to the doctor’s and she said, ‘Jethro, you’ve got to stop masturbating’; and I said, ‘Why?’ and she said, ‘I’m trying to examine you’. ”

Yet despite the casual misogyny, blasphemy, sexism, racism and homophobia, his live-performance videos and audiobooks continued to sell in their thousands.

A master of precision timing, the rotund Jethro could work an (overwhelmingly older) audience in a manner redolent of northern comics at working-men’s clubs. Perhaps against expectations, his humour seemed to travel, even as far as Australia, where he enjoyed a sizeable following.

In character, Rowe would draw on his rural background to present himself as a yokel or at best a bearded West Country farmer directly out of central casting.

Indeed, much of his humour was of the farmyard variety, with gags about flatulent beasts of the field, rutting and tupping, interleaved in the course of his stage performances with sonorous renditions of country and western standards, accompanying himself on guitar.

Inevitably, even his core audience in the South West divided between ardent admirers and those who deplored what they considered the negative image of the Cornishman that Jethro perpetuated. One Anglican vicar was so distressed to find that the unboundaried comedian had agreed to stand as a godparent at a baptism in his church that he refused to officiate.

A running gag in Jethro’s live set concerned his imaginary friend Denzil Penberthy from Camborne. His stories about Denzil reached their apotheosis in “Train Don’t Stop Camborne Wednesdays”, perhaps his single best-known routine.

The son of a farm manager, Geoffrey McIntyre Rowe was born on March 8 1948 at the village of St Buryan, Cornwall. His father conducted the local male voice choir and his mother played the chapel organ.

When he was seven, an accident involving a cartload of mangels left him with one leg shorter than the other and a lifelong limp. On leaving Cape Cornwall School in St Just, he was apprenticed as a carpenter and went to work as a timber man, erecting props in the Levant tin mine.

At the age of 18, Rowe joined an operatic society in St Just as a bass-baritone. In the 1970s he played rugby at prop forward for Penzance and Newlyn, known as the Cornish Pirates, and became an accomplished clay-pigeon shooter.

In the evenings he sang traditional songs in Cornish pubs. “One night I ran out of voice,” he recalled. “I couldn’t sing any more, so I just told a joke instead … funnily, it went down a storm.”

Taking the name Jethro – a corruption of Geoff (or Jeff) Rowe as well as a nod to a character in the American 1960s television sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies – he launched himself as an amateur stand-up in the 1980s.

He was spotted on local television by Des O’Connor’s agent John Miles and booked for his first nationwide TV appearance on the Des O’Connor Tonight show in 1990, followed by a return booking for the Christmas Eve show later that year.

As Jethro, he appeared regularly on Jim Davidson’s Generation Game, on two occasions showing contestants how to make a Cornish pasty. A series of multiple out-takes, excised when he and Davidson dissolved into uncontrollable laughter, also featured on “blooper” compilations.

Reckoned wittier than other near-the-knuckle comics like Roy “Chubby” Brown, he was widely admired in the entertainment business. Dawn French considered him “supremely gifted”, and the comedian Richard Herring, while astonished at much of Jethro’s material, conceded that “his stuff isn’t as horrible as that of some of his contemporaries. Which is a bit of a negative positive.”

He hosted two TV specials under the title The Jethro Junction on HTV in 1995 and in 2001 appeared on the Royal Variety Performance in the presence of the Queen, screened on ITV.

In 1993 Jethro released his first video, A Portion of Jethro, which sold 150,000 copies in two months. A further nine video titles followed, with DVD sales of more than four million.

Although latterly rarely seen on television, at his peak Jethro sold more than 250,000 theatre seats a year at venues across the country. To help audiences deal with his Cornish accent, he would pretend to be drunk, slowing and slurring his delivery.

Rowe was an accomplished horse breeder, and a seven times winner at the Horse of the Year Show. His string of horses included the brood mare Flying Iris, a sister to Best Mate, and Celtic Swing’s stallion offspring, Rocamadour. He also worked for charity, and in 1995 walked from Land’s End to his home on the Cornwall-Devon border, raising £20,000 for a new cancer scanner.

Having retired last year, he was reportedly fully jabbed, but died in hospital after contracting Covid-19. In a Facebook tribute, Great Western Railway announced that “the train does indeed now stop at Camborne on a Wednesday … Except for today as we are running a rail replacement service due to improvement works.”

Rowe is survived by his long-term partner Jennie and his two sons.

Geoffrey Rowe (Jethro), born March 8 1948, died December 14 2021

R

I'm not sure he'd have liked being compared to Chubby Brown, nor did I ever find him blue or beyond the pale.