closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay Authenticity guarantee. Odd address.

Blog Entries

Ebay Authenticity guarantee. Odd address.

Has anyone sold a watch on Ebay using their authenticity guarantee? I've just sold one and it's giving an odd address to send it to. I've asked the buyer for his address and it's different.

Any ideas? Any help much appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The address should be Ruislip, there was a thread about it but I can't see it

Isn't the process about sending the watch to eBay for authentication, therefore different from the buyer? (sorry if I misunderstood)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    The address should be Ruislip, there was a thread about it but I can't see it
    Ah, so it could be ok then. It's Hawker's Yard 21 Stonefield Way ebay:vh***** Ruislip HA4 0BH

It just seemed a bit odd that was all! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Isn't the process about sending the watch to eBay for authentication, therefore different from the buyer? (sorry if I misunderstood)
    Yes apparently so, to be honest I didn't even realise that when I listed it. Never sold a watch on there before.

Craftsman

Ebay Authenticity guarantee. Odd address.

That address is correct

Don’t forget to add the eBay reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ah, so it could be ok then. It's Hawker's Yard 21 Stonefield Way ebay:vh***** Ruislip HA4 0BH

It just seemed a bit odd that was all! Thanks.
    I recently sold a watch on eBay over 2K and that was the address of the authenticator.

I didn't have any problems and they turned it around within a day so it only added one extra day to the delivery time.

I usually take a picture of the parcel in front of the monitor showing the order and address - I'm a bit paranoid like that, but I like to have evidence that everything matched in case the address changes, or the watch gets repackaged along the way, or the buyer claims it was sent in a tatty box or some other nonsense. I film the packing process too on high value items.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I sold a watch through the ebay authenticity program and it was excellent tbh , money was clear as soon as authenticated

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    That address is correct

Don’t forget to add the eBay reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks I'll check that.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I recently sold a watch on eBay over 2K and that was the address of the authenticator.

I didn't have any problems and they turned it around within a day so it only added one extra day to the delivery time.

I usually take a picture of the parcel in front of the monitor showing the order and address - I'm a bit paranoid like that, but I like to have evidence that everything matched in case the address changes, or the watch gets repackaged along the way, or the buyer claims it was sent in a tatty box or some other nonsense. I film the packing process too on high value items.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Thanks I'll probably do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I sold a watch through the ebay authenticity program and it was excellent tbh , money was clear as soon as authenticated
    Seems good, money has already cleared to be honest.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Well it all worked out fine, they authenticated the watch and forwarded it on to the buyer. Seems like a good service, at the moment it's free but that will probably change. It takes all the 'not as described' worry out of selling I think.

Would definitely use it again.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 17th December 2021 at 12:01.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well it all worked out fine, they authenticated the watch and forwarded it on to the buyer. Seems like a good service, at the moment it's free but that will probably change. It takes all the 'not as described' worry out of selling I think.

Would definitely stir again.
    Definitely, I was very happy with it and would definitely use again and would pay for the service,
    I had someone claim item not as described on a £2500 watch sold to a buyer in Australia , I posted the watch on a extra quick ups fully insured, got there and I didn’t hear nothing for a few days and then he drops item not as described on me over swirling on the high polished bracelet, I mean it’s impossible not to get micro swirling on high polished areas surely?
    I was annoyed and probably didn’t deal with it best but the guy was so rude on every message and thought it was funny that I would have to pay for postage back , just to clarify I was never rude to him in responses but felt it was a case of buyers remorse
    I dug my heals in which was a mistake but I was also communicating with ebay who told me not to worry and the case will be resolved, I think half the time ebay thought I was the buyer it was a complete mess
    Anyway outcome was decided in buyers favour no surprise there I should have known in hindsight
    Buyer was allowed to keep the watch and was fully refunded and I was £2500 worse off not including the £80 I spent sending in the first place , I have swept it under the carpet as don’t like to mope about things what’s done is done but actually typing this has made me feel sick about it , to make matters even worse the watch actually retails at £4000

Would the authenticity programme have helped in your case? Because it wasn't a question of authenticity but condition.
    Puzzled why he was allowed to keep the watch and have his money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Would the authenticity programme have helped in your case? Because it wasn't a question of authenticity but condition.
    Puzzled why he was allowed to keep the watch and have his money back.
    With authenticity it would have been inspected, the watch was in fantastic condition , the reason he got his money back was because I stupidly thought that ebay would see it was a false claim and when it was escalated it was awarded to the buyer and they said he could return or dispose of it ,I actually sent him a prepaid shipping label afterwards but no way was I getting back he was just leading me on that I would afterwards

Anyway it was a complete mess and hands up I should have just accepted the return btw the watch was a triton subphotique
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 17th December 2021 at 09:59.

With authenticity it would have been inspected, the watch was in fantastic condition , the reason he got his money back was because I stupidly thought that ebay would see it was a false claim and when it was escalated it was awarded to the buyer and they said he could return or dispose of it ,I actually sent him a prepaid shipping label afterwards but no way was I getting back he was just leading me on that I would afterwards

Anyway it was a complete mess and hands up I should have just accepted the return btw the watch was a triton subphotique
    Blimey, that is shocking. I'd be spitting feathers, but as you said, better to chalk it up to experience and move on. Sorry that this has dragged it back up for you.

I don't understand...eBay awarded him the money back AND said he could keep or dispose of the product? How is this even legal?!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I don't understand...eBay awarded him the money back AND said he could keep or dispose of the product? How is this even legal?!
    You tell me obviously I was a little shocked by the outcome myself
    Actually I have just found the email ebay sent me and it was £2030 plus the £80 I spent sending which has made me feel slightly better as it wasn’t £2580
    I have deleted the buyers name as I don’t want to rehash things it finished as far as I’m concerned but would like to post as a warning to others
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 17th December 2021 at 12:04.

You tell me obviously I was a little shocked by the outcome myself
    Actually I have just found the email ebay sent me and it was £2030 plus the £80 I spent sending which has made me feel slightly better as it wasn’t £2580
    I have deleted the buyers name as I don’t want to rehash things it finished as far as I’m concerned but would like to post as a warning to others
    Your beef is not with the seller (even if he tried to defraud you) it is with eBay who allowed him to keep both the watch AND the money.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

According to eBay, they give the seller 4 options:

• Accept the return: Provide the buyer with an eBay generated return postage label or upload your own return postage label to send the item back to you
    • Refund the buyer: Issue a refund and allow the buyer to keep the item
    • Offer a partial refund: You have one chance to offer a partial refund amount and the buyer keeps the item.
    • Send a message: Reply to the buyer directly. Sending a message to the buyer does not approve the return request.

Perhaps in initially refusing the return and opting for an eBay resolution to a dispute, eBay then chooses to automatically select option 2 because the seller could always keep refusing a return.

eBay is heavily geared towards the buyer because if they don’t have buyers their platform fails. As a result, every scumbag knows they can get away with dishonesty and theft if they chose to. For this reason, eBay would always be my last resort if I wanted to sell something.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Your beef is not with the seller (even if he tried to defraud you) it is with eBay who allowed him to keep both the watch AND the money.
    It is what it is, I was foolish for being stubborn and should of accepted the return for whatever reason

The thing that I can’t understand is I’ve worked hard for all the watches I have brought, I could never get any enjoyment from knowing I have a stolen watch on my arm , no matter what ebay says ,that watch is mine and should’ve been returned before refund was given
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 17th December 2021 at 18:58.

Blog Entries
    It is what it is, I was foolish for being stubborn and should of accepted the return for whatever reason

The thing that I can’t understand is I’ve worked hard for all the watches I have brought, I could never get any enjoyment from knowing I have a stolen watch on my arm , no matter what ebay says ,that watch is mine and should’ve been returned before refund was given
    Unfortunately there are many unscrupulous people out there, who would see it as a bonus that they managed to get the watch without paying for it. Sad I know.

This is interesting with the verification/authentication it does add a peace of mind.
    Do they actually check it’s as described or just if the watch is genuine? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    This is interesting with the verification/authentication it does add a peace of mind.
    Do they actually check it’s as described or just if the watch is genuine? Anyone know?
    Yes they also check the watch is as described as I saw on another thread they contacted a buyer to point out a scratch on a panerai watch before they sent it

Yes they also check the watch is as described as I saw on another thread they contacted a buyer to point out a scratch on a panerai watch before they sent it
    That is really cool. Thanks.

Turns up he is selling my watch on gumtree, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glen...-01/1276355670

My case back picture

And his
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 30th January 2022 at 22:35.

Turns up he is selling my watch on gumtree, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glen...-01/1276355670

My case back picture

And his
    And it’s sold what a scummy man

Craftsman
    Sue EBay . It’s the only way .

I'm late to this thread but I cannot believe that Peter (Balance Wheel) has been treated so unfairly by eBay. It really flies in the face of natural justice that he should lose his watch because some scrote has played the system, a system that is at fault. As Christian says, the buyer is king on eBay but this tale and others, means that I will only ever sell things on eBay that I can write off, should anything go south, in my world that's things for less than £100.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'm late to this thread but I cannot believe that Peter (Balance Wheel) has been treated so unfairly by eBay. It really flies in the face of natural justice that he should lose his watch because some scrote has played the system, a system that is at fault. As Christian says, the buyer is king on eBay but this tale and others, means that I will only ever sell things on eBay that I can write off, should anything go south, in my world that's things for less than £100.
    Thank you I appreciate your kind words, I’m still selling on eBay but mostly to uk and never as far as Australia,
    I do wonder sometimes on if I did accept the return straight away would I have had my watch or just an empty box

Thank you I appreciate your kind words, I’m still selling on eBay but mostly to uk and never as far as Australia,
    I do wonder sometimes on if I did accept the return straight away would I have had my watch or just an empty box
    I think sticking to UK sales is a good idea but there are of course chancers here too. Your "buyer" clearly has no sense of honour or self-respect otherwise he'd have returned the watch. One can only hope that at some point, karma repays him.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    I have the email address for eBay legal ( real people) if you need it. I had a dispute which eventually got resolved via legal in a way that I didn’t lose out.

Wow, that is a bit of an eye opener!

Glad to have the process well described here, but that outcome defies belief!

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I have the email address for eBay legal ( real people) if you need it. I had a dispute which eventually got resolved via legal in a way that I didn’t lose out.
    Thank you much appreciated but I don’t think it would change the outcome now as he has sold the watch

Does anyone know how thorough the verification actually is?

Presumably, even if they take the caseback off, they’re not going to inspect every component?

I’m looking at picking up an IWC which according to the buyer, they bought in India where it was serviced by an AD. I can see the receipt from the service centre, see it’s an AD, see it’s listed on IWC’s website as such. The buyer has answered questions appropriately and his price is on the higher side of correct (rather than suspiciously cheap). He has offered to meet in an IWC boutique for verification too though it’s too far to travel.

All seems ok, the eBay verification would be the cherry on top if it’s thorough: or does anyone think I’m missing something?

Does anyone think that a watch like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144402363...8AAOSwO2liAruP is now unbuyable?

I'd rather pay that tiny amount more to not feel like the seller was trying to avoid scrutiny on their watch.

Master
    Does anyone think that a watch like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144402363...8AAOSwO2liAruP is now unbuyable?

I'd rather pay that tiny amount more to not feel like the seller was trying to avoid scrutiny on their watch.
    Looks like it - why does the seller make it so blindingly obvious they are trying to avoid eBay authentication. Even listing at £1990 would be less suspicious

I guess we’ll be seeing a lot more £1999.99 watches in the future

Could be innocent but it does raise doubts. I must say I’m still unsure what the verification entails. Based on the description from eBay, it seems like an external inspection only so I’d be worried I’d be buying something filled with a different movement.

I hope its Ok to post my only experience with this Ebay service?

I just had an issue with this service in that I successfully sold a watch and sent it to the Authentication Centre.

I got an email saying Authentication OK and watch was now being sent to the buyer.

However, buyer sends me a message, asking if I correctly labelled the parcel to his home address.

I pointed out that it was sent to the Authentication centre (and passed on the RMSD tracking number).

He then contacted UPS, who said that they couldn't find his address? Looking at the tracking, it was showing Exeter, but the buyer lives in Littlehampton.

Buyer, confirmed that UPS did have the correct address and the buyer provided telephone numbers to the Courier.

However, UPS decided to return the parcel back to Ebay Authentication Centre (EAC), which is where it is now??

I suspect, that I will the get the watch back and the buyer will get a refund, but I will have lost the sale for now fault of either of us.

The Omega 300m (2021 white dial) was priced well below others on ebay, so I'm sure I will sell it eventually.

The ebay process basically states, that as long as I prove the watch has successfully been received by EAC then my work is done????

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I hope its Ok to post my only experience with this Ebay service?

I just had an issue with this service in that I successfully sold a watch and sent it to the Authentication Centre.

I got an email saying Authentication OK and watch was now being sent to the buyer.

However, buyer sends me a message, asking if I correctly labelled the parcel to his home address.

I pointed out that it was sent to the Authentication centre (and passed on the RMSD tracking number).

He then contacted UPS, who said that they couldn't find his address? Looking at the tracking, it was showing Exeter, but the buyer lives in Littlehampton.

Buyer, confirmed that UPS did have the correct address and the buyer provided telephone numbers to the Courier.

However, UPS decided to return the parcel back to Ebay Authentication Centre (EAC), which is where it is now??

I suspect, that I will the get the watch back and the buyer will get a refund, but I will have lost the sale for now fault of either of us.

The Omega 300m (2021 white dial) was priced well below others on ebay, so I'm sure I will sell it eventually.

The ebay process basically states, that as long as I prove the watch has successfully been received by EAC then my work is done????
    I would suspect (or hope at least) they would inspect the watch again making sure it’s the same watch and then resend out. Should only be 2 day delay as such. Buyer get their watch and you keep the sale.

So I wouldn’t worry at this point.

But yes your work should be done, it’s covered by their courier etc if any issues happened.

Never know buyer could get refund, you keep your sale. Then it appears on eBay again under a company or sold to the trade.

Master
    This has been an interesting read, as I'm thinking about selling a watch to go towards some house renovations the authenticity guarantee if applied correctly serves the buyer and the seller well

Sent from my CPH2357 using Tapatalk

Master
    Also to add, I have used the service a few times now and it takes most of the risk out of eBay watch selling. Wouldn’t sell an expensive watch on eBay without it let’s put it that way.

As said above as long as you can get it safely delivered to Ruislip and your watch is real of course, you are in safe hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Also to add, I have used the service a few times now and it takes most of the risk out of eBay watch selling. Wouldn’t sell an expensive watch on eBay without it let’s put it that way.

As said above as long as you can get it safely delivered to Ruislip and your watch is real of course, you are in safe hands.
    Any concerns in sending the watch there? Surely a dodgy courier would know anything going to that address is above a certain value.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Indeed - I didn't use the ebay postal process, because it only selects RMSD with £500 cover. So I went onto the RM site and did the postage through that with extra compensation cover, just to be sure it gets to the Ebay Authentication Centre.

Its defiantly a good system as I guess the buyer gets a genuine watch and the seller is covered from any fraud/chargeback - so i would use it again.

I did note that the service is currently free, suggesting that Ebay are going to charge for the service in future?

I would say it’s the safest way of selling watches anywhere at the moment I’m very happy with it and personally I have sold half a dozen high end watches with zero problems and brought around the same amount (joys of being a serial flipper)
    I just wish it was available when I got ripped off with my triton watch (see earlier posts)