closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko service intervals?

Grand Seiko service intervals?

Does anyone have any up to date information on how long a 9r movement will need a service?
    And does it have to be seiko ?
    Will it have to go abroad or seiko uk?
    How much ?
    Thanks in advance.
    I’m considering buying my first GS (used) and would appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9r is Spring Drive so unquestionably it has to be done by Seiko. It is a unique movement specific to Seiko. I believe they can be serviced in the UK. Probably looking at a service every 5 years at a cost of £650 or so

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    9r is Spring Drive so unquestionably it has to be done by Seiko. It is a unique movement specific to Seiko. I believe they can be serviced in the UK. Probably looking at a service every 5 years at a cost of £650 or so
    Cheers that’s helpful.

That seems a bit steep, I popped into the Seiko boutique in Amsterdam, for the spring drive service on a 9R15 I was quoted €480 odd. (For a case and bracelet refinish sent back to Japan, I was quoted an eye watering €1200).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

I would be surprised if it were £650
    I had my MM300 serviced in Feb / March for £291 + vat whilst not a GS or SD it has a GS movement. So would have though the costs would be broadly similar.

Master
    I asked the UK Seiko service centre for costs to service my old spring drive diver last year, their response was -

Thank you for your email,

The cost to just service your watch is £325.00 and the cost to service and refinish is £635.00. We can do just the service here but should you require the refinish we would need to send the watch to japan for that.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I asked the UK Seiko service centre for costs to service my old spring drive diver last year, their response was -

Thank you for your email,

The cost to just service your watch is £325.00 and the cost to service and refinish is £635.00. We can do just the service here but should you require the refinish we would need to send the watch to japan for that.

I hope this helps
    Indeed it does help.
    I’ve just bought the GS , comes with a year warranty so I’ll probably send it after that expires.
    Many thanks all.

Yes I should have added the cost I guessed included case and bracelet refinishing as with the zaratsu finish being such an integral part of the watches USP I'd not imagine anyone would do without the refinishing

Master
    That is interesting, so is that confirmed, £325 for a GS without polishing? That changes everything, I’ve steered clear of them so far as I thought it was a huge amount and too often. If not, then I’m tempted.

I tried one of these the other day. Without doubt one of the best dials I’ve seen on any watch, it catches the lights beautifully. The hand wound spring drive looks lovely through the case back too. I’d prefer it white instead of pale blue and with some brushing on the lugs but it’s still a fascinating and very 21st century object. Servicing that’s not too crazy certainly helps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That is interesting, so is that confirmed, £325 for a GS without polishing? That changes everything, I’ve steered clear of them so far as I thought it was a huge amount and too often. If not, then I’m tempted.

I tried one of these the other day. Without doubt one of the best dials I’ve seen on any watch, it catches the lights beautifully. The hand wound spring drive looks lovely through the case back too. I’d prefer it white instead of pale blue and with some brushing on the lugs but it’s still a fascinating and very 21st century object. Servicing that’s not too crazy certainly helps.

£325 for a spring drive service was quoted to me by the UK service centre in October 2020, as per the email I attached earlier.
    Beautiful watch you’ve posted!

Craftsman

Get it @ RRP if you can … prices on C24 are eye watering already and I’m genuinely peed off for not buying it a few years back.

If you’re not interested in buying anymore I’d appreciate a heads up where that mentioned SBGY003 is for sale. Thanks !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEX View Post
    Get it @ RRP if you can … prices on C24 are eye watering already and I’m genuinely peed off for not buying it a few years back.

If you’re not interested in buying anymore I’d appreciate a heads up where that mentioned SBGY003 is for sale. Thanks !!!
    I have sent a PM.

PS - it is actually a SBGY007 and available for the list price. The SBGY003 you mention is the ‘cocktail time’ limited edition dial, which sold out. Maybe this will do the job for you, it’s a gorgeous dial though personally I found pale blue didn’t suit me.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 14th December 2021 at 10:53.

Never had a GS or spring drive, so those numbers are good to know, just for context.
    Understandable that it is a Seiko only job, but it always makes me wary when there is a monopoly.

Is there a manufacturer recommended service interval?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    Never had a GS or spring drive, so those numbers are good to know, just for context.
    Understandable that it is a Seiko only job, but it always makes me wary when there is a monopoly.

Is there a manufacturer recommended service interval?
    It’s five years, I wonder if that’s a conservative estimate, real world experience would be appreciated.

Craftsman

I had a chance to try on a SBGY007 "Omiwatari", a Snowflake and a Spring Drive GMT side-by-side at an AD recently. The SBGY007 is certainly a lovely watch and the effect on the dial is more pronounced than the Snowflake's dial. I'm a little surprised it doesn't have the newer 5 day Spring Drive movement at the price GS are asking.

I am a bit fussy about blues in particular, and the very pale blue of the Omiwatari doesn't do it for me, as well as preferring watches on bracelets, so I've ended up with a Snowflake, but obviously each to their own.

Not the finest photo, but I grabbed a very quick photo in the AD of my IWC Le Petit Prince on the far left, which has a deep blue dial, the dark blue of the SBGE255 Spring Drive GMT, the SBGY007 Omiwatari and finally the SBGA211 Snowflake on the right:

The AD did say that case refinishing does still have to go back to Japan, I got the impression Grand Seiko may be training people in Europe to handle refinishing in future, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, and regarding service intervals, 5 years is the official line (and Grand Seiko have also extended the warranty to 5 years from purchase - https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-e...lease/20210915), although again, there are plenty threads on "if it ain't broke" vs "service like clockwork" to read :)
    Last edited by threescoops; 14th December 2021 at 12:51.

Slight chance of subject, but does anyone know if the seiko boutique will size a bracelet for me? I have tried and already lost one screw it’s an annoying design if I do say so.
    Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    They will size for you, they are a lovely bunch in there and always helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    They will size for you, they are a lovely bunch in there and always helpful
    Thanks will head in there Wednesday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Thanks will head in there Wednesday.

Does this mean you've acquired a GS already, Redwolf? :)

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Does this mean you've acquired a GS already, Redwolf? :)
    Ha yes indeed I have. Here’s the sellers photo. Shame I can’t wear it yet but will be all good soon.
    It a basic looking one compared to some out there. But I didn’t want to break the bank for my first foray into GS.

Craftsman
    Ha yes indeed I have. Here’s the sellers photo. Shame I can’t wear it yet but will be all good soon.
    It a basic looking one compared to some out there. But I didn’t want to break the bank for my first foray into GS.

Excellent, nice looking piece, no hanging around there! Look forward to seeing fresh photos in the incoming thread once it's sized!

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Excellent, nice looking piece, no hanging around there! Look forward to seeing fresh photos in the incoming thread once it's sized!
    I take back what I said about the bracelet design being not great.
    I sat down with all the correct tools this evening and did it myself in 15 mins. It’s actually a good system with the two screws either side. I’ll get some pics in the show us your GS tomorrow

I’ll get some pics in the show us your GS tomorrow
    Look forward to seeing them

I have an SBGE027 with the same Spring Drive movement - already had it for more than 5-years and it still works perfectly.

Moisture ingress is what ruins GS watches and in my opinion, the main risk that one takes in pushing the service interval. Japanese sellers often have earlier GS models from the modern era, with damaged / stained dials.

My other GS is an automatic, the SBGM023, I'm the original owner and had that for about 10-years, never has it serviced but healthy amplitude and no change to the daily rate. It's consistent across positions too. Pragmatically, a service would give piece of mind, but not result in any appreciable performance gain.

You can't put a Spring Drive on a timegrapher and the only indication you'll get that it needs service is when the movement starts running slow / losing time, as lubricants degrade and friction builds. The regulation system of SD is such that the movement can only be slowed by electromagnetic braking and there's no way to speed it up, as with a conventional mechanical watch. The observable daily rate on a healthy Spring Drive is typically 0s per day, but they usually gain slightly, so over the course of days or weeks it may gain a second or two (the newer ones seem to be more accurate).

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I have an SBGE027 with the same Spring Drive movement - already had it for more than 5-years and it still works perfectly.

Moisture ingress is what ruins GS watches and in my opinion, the main risk that one takes in pushing the service interval. Japanese sellers often have earlier GS models from the modern era, with damaged / stained dials.

My other GS is an automatic, the SBGM023, I'm the original owner and had that for about 10-years, never has it serviced but healthy amplitude and no change to the daily rate. It's consistent across positions too. Pragmatically, a service would give piece of mind, but not result in any appreciable performance gain.

You can't put a Spring Drive on a timegrapher and the only indication you'll get that it needs service is when the movement starts running slow / losing time, as lubricants degrade and friction builds. The regulation system of SD is such that the movement can only be slowed by electromagnetic braking and there's no way to speed it up, as with a conventional mechanical watch. The observable daily rate on a healthy Spring Drive is typically 0s per day, but they usually gain slightly, so over the course of days or weeks it may gain a second or two (the newer ones seem to be more accurate).

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Interesting information.
    Mine is a 2014 model and does not seem to have had much wrist time as it’s spotless. In any case it’s almost 8 years old and timed against my atomic clock is bang on 0 spd.
    I have a years warranty and will probably get it serviced at the end of 2022 to give me another 8 years of peace of mind.
    Thanks