closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol prices...............again

Petrol prices...............again

I got a surprise this morning, for the first time ever the pump hit the £99 card limit and it wasn't even full, It was at Asda which is easily the cheapest around here, I would have thought that fuel prices would be on every news bulletin by now, it will get to the point where people on tight budgets wont be able to get to work, our government won't do anything because they are raking it in.

The people on tight budgets should buy an expensive EV

We were in London this weekend. Thankfully filled up before heading into the capital. Esso station next to the Grosvenor was £1.70 per litre!!

It’s £1.50 a litre in Northumberland this morning!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    We were in London this weekend. Thankfully filled up before heading into the capital. Esso station next to the Grosvenor was £1.70 per litre!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I got a surprise this morning, for the first time ever the pump hit the £99 card limit and it wasn't even full, It was at Asda which is easily the cheapest around here, I would have thought that fuel prices would be on every news bulletin by now, it will get to the point where people on tight budgets wont be able to get to work, our government won't do anything because they are raking it in.
    I`m not aware that the duty and VAT on fuel has changed recently, so how is your last comment justified? Oil price plus increased distribution costs are to blame for recent rises, you can debate whether the policy in the UK of taxing motor fuel is fair or not but it's been this way for many years.

If you look back to prices in 2012 and correct for inflation I think you'll find fuel is slightly cheaper in real terms.

Edit: in Sept 2012 price of petrol was 1.40/litre. Inflation from 2012-2021 is 24%........do the maths! Start moaning when it reaches 1.736p/litre berause that means it's as expensive(in real terms) as 2012.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 8th December 2021 at 12:30.

The problem is not just petrol, when you add up everything that has gone up, a huge number of people have a lower quality of life as a result and many are seriously in trouble now

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m not aware that the duty and VAT on fuel has changed recently, so how is your last comment justified? Oil price plus increased distribution costs are to blame for recent rises, you can debate whether the policy in the UK of taxing motor fuel is fair or not but it's been this way for many years.

If you look back to prices in 2012 and correct for inflation I think you'll find fuel is slightly cheaper in real terms.

surely you understand a percentage

I wonder a what point, if ever, prices will encourage more sensible or economical driving. I get 1000 miles a tank from my 520d estate, but I'm mainly motorway driving and stick at 60mph. Retailers partly to blame, with recent wholesale reduction not reflected at the pumps.

60mph on a motorway is no way to live. That's a punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Each to their own surely (but no surprise on this forum). With Capital Dance on and Spotify, I'm happy as Larry.

E-scooter

Blog Entries
    1.81 GBP per liter here... Stop moaning.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    surely you understand a percentage
    ??????? In real terms, correcting for inflation, petrol is still cheaper than it was in 2012/13. The tax take is also slightly lower.

Did you moan as loudly in 2012?

https://www.racfoundation.org/data/t...rice-data-page

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    1.81 GBP per liter here... Stop moaning.
    Yes, but cars use less in the Netherlands because you don`t have any hills to drive up! Also, being at or marginally below sea level the volumetric efficiency of internal combustion engines is better.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It’s £1.50 a litre in Northumberland this morning!!
    It was £1.60 a litre at the services just before junction 64 at Chester le Street on the A1M last night and £1.47 a litre just off the junction 63 ramp!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diesel was £1.52 lt in Norwich this morning.

Edit: in Sept 2012 price of petrol was 1.40/litre. Inflation from 2012-2021 is 24%........do the maths! Start moaning when it reaches 1.736p/litre berause that means it's as expensive(in real terms) as 2012.
    Fuel Duty was frozen in 2010. Given fuel duty is 70p a litre that has probably effectively held prices down to where they are.

Master
    I`m not aware that the duty and VAT on fuel has changed recently, so how is your last comment justified?
    VAT is 20% of the whole lot (including duty) so VAT take increases as the underlying cost of the fuel does.

Edit: in Sept 2012 price of petrol was 1.40/litre. .
    You've picked the month when it peaked in price and the year there was also panic buying.
    Last edited by steptoe; 8th December 2021 at 13:22.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    VAT is 20% of the whole lot (including duty) so VAT take increases as the underlying cost of the fuel does.
    Agreed, but owing to the freezing of duty several years ago the overall tax take (according to the data I dug out) has actually fallen.

The Govt make more money when the price goes up because they collect more VAT, but that doesn`t represent a change in the status quo, it's always been that way. What is unfair is the application of VAT to the duty portion of the price, that's a tax on tax, but it's been that way for many years.

If tax revenue wasn`t raised from petrol it would have to be raised elsewhere and most of us would still end up paying. What I disagree with is the principle of taxing transport, personal transport long since ceased to be a luxury and it should be acknowledged as the necessity it is for many people. On that basis it is no longer fair to treat it as some form of luxury and apply high rates of taxation. However, whilst it's hard to refute the logic successive Govts of either colour have seen fit to allow this to continue so I hardly see it changing.

What I`d like to know is how the Govt will address the shortfall when we all (eventually) start driving electric cars?

Anyhow, I feel very patriotic regarding the tax I pay on motoring. £275/year road fund licence and an average fuel consumption of 28mpg on diesel........despite driving only 4000 miles/year I`m doing my bit for the Govt coffers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I wonder a what point, if ever, prices will encourage more sensible or economical driving. I get 1000 miles a tank from my 520d estate, but I'm mainly motorway driving and stick at 60mph. Retailers partly to blame, with recent wholesale reduction not reflected at the pumps.
    1000!! that's shear heaven, My beast does between 10-12mpg.
    But I will say I don't get Eddie Stobart flashing me to get past, lol.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    You've picked the month when it peaked in price and the year there was also panic buying.
    The point I'm making is that we're comparing one peak with another and in real terms this peak is actually lower.......even though it doesn`t feel like it.

If the oil price reached $100/barrel, which has happened before, prices corrected for inflation would probably reach a record level.

Master
    Indeed, as annoying as an HGV when he overtakes too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Indeed, as annoying as an HGV when he overtakes too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And in the worst lane if someone bad does happen. That 5 series will vanish between two lorries.

Blog Entries
    Yes, but cars use less in the Netherlands because you don`t have any hills to drive up! Also, being at or marginally below sea level the volumetric efficiency of internal combustion engines is better.
    Please don't say it out loud / outside this forum! Our government will see it as a motive to raise the tax on fuel again!!!

Oil is priced in dollars and the weakness of the toilet currency that is sterling is not helping matters. Down from 1.42 to less than 1.32 since the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I get 1000 miles a tank from my 520d estate, but I'm mainly motorway driving and stick at 60mph.
    That is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    1000!! that's shear heaven, My beast does between 10-12mpg.
    But that's better

Master
    Blog Entries
    There was a snippet on the news last Friday that oil prices were down $10 a barrel which equates to 5p off the pump prices. Been no movement where I am. We are took for mugs in this country, the government should clamp down on the blatant profiteering.

Blog Entries

In the Netherlands, 56% of the fuel price is tax & vat.

Here a pic of last month’s prices (€euros) on Lanzarote.

Last edited by thieuster; 8th December 2021 at 15:56.

Blog Entries
    People commenting about fuel prices being down $10 per barrel need to appreciate that the stuff going into their cars was purchased before prices fell. The real problem is inflation, increased fuel costs results in increased distribution costs, in turn retailers/ manufacturers increase prices to retain profit margin - this in itself can become a vicious circle. Real inflation is currently far higher than government figures suggest, and the traditional tool to slug inflation is an increase in interest rates. However, given the amount of debt and people struggling to make ends meet post lockdowns (with the threat of more to come) significant rate increases area off of the table.
    Interesting times people, we bleat about availability of Rolex and increasing numbers of people are relying on food banks to feed their families.

Master
    The market should bring the price back down, the fact that it isn't smacks of unspoken agreement in the industry at the very least.

Master
    This week Diesel has dropped by about 5 cents a litre on this side of the channel. Its currently a fraction under 1.5e in the supermarkets, which equates to about £1.28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    People commenting about fuel prices being down $10 per barrel need to appreciate that the stuff going into their cars was purchased before prices fell. The real problem is inflation, increased fuel costs results in increased distribution costs, in turn retailers/ manufacturers increase prices to retain profit margin - this in itself can become a vicious circle. Real inflation is currently far higher than government figures suggest, and the traditional tool to slug inflation is an increase in interest rates. However, given the amount of debt and people struggling to make ends meet post lockdowns (with the threat of more to come) significant rate increases area off of the table.
    Interesting times people, we bleat about availability of Rolex and increasing numbers of people are relying on food banks to feed their families.
    But how quickly they rise when the oil as been purchased at a much lower price, it always one way. The rises are lightning quick on the way up

My fuel bill hasn't gone up in years, I always put £60 in at a time.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I had to visit Manchester on Monday for work, filled up when I left and I paid 155.9 at my local tesco, when I was returning home I filled up again and the same tesco and paid 150.9.... And they say there's a north - south divide :)

Paid £1.48 for diesel a couple of days ago and thought that was expensive. But seeing some of the prices in this thread I think I've gotten off lightly.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diesel £1.46 in our Tesco this Aft

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    What do you expect, you’ve got to be desperate to fill up in central London! It’s £1.45 for unleaded in Z2/3 SE London.

Master
    11k a year in fuel at my house. Still cheaper than bottle water or starbucks(P/L)

Last week I paid £1.63/litre for Shell V-Power 99 RON when filling my RS6 in Cheltenham where I live. I don't have to use 99 RON fuel but I do in my heavily breathed on 730+bhp car. I'm very fortunate that I can afford it but it made me think about those struggling with gas, electricity, heating oil, food bills and dealing with increasing inflation across the board. And before anyone starts, I commute to work (in reasonable weather) on an electric motorbike!

E10 fuel has really added to costs

I think I must be getting 15% fewer miles from a tank of fuel. That tank is costing me significantly more than last year. Real kick in the nuts

I'm six miles from a Costco filling station and will start going there I think for their super unleaded

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    E10 fuel has really added to costs

I think I must be getting 15% fewer miles from a tank of fuel. That tank is costing me significantly more than last year. Real kick in the nuts

I'm six miles from a Costco filling station and will start going there I think for their super unleaded
    That's interesting, is it really a factor?

I thought my Golf was getting less to the gallon recently, but assumed it was cold weather/using the Aircon to demist the windows, but I have been using normal unleaded more as I've been doing more miles recently...

Maybe I'd be better off sticking with super?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I thought my Golf was getting less to the gallon recently, but assumed it was cold weather/using the Aircon to demist the windows, but I have been using normal unleaded more as I've been doing more miles recently...

M

Tesco Momentum is still E5. Shell garage here £1.48 a litre

Just to make you feel worse, fuel price here in N America equates to 82 pence a litre.
    People moan about the price just the same, although everything is relative.
    Along with that cheap fuel is a national oil company which is the most indebted in the world, so the public will pay somewhere along the line.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

The simple answer is no - the move to E10 would not cause a 15% shift in economy

As you have rightly pointed out it’s going to be down to the weather, in particular the temperature at this time of year

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Tesco Momentum is still E5. Shell garage here £1.48 a litre

It’s what I use in my TR6

“They” are saying petrol prices are a big contributory factor in rising inflation, i’m not an economist but will interest rates be next? How will this stop people buying fuel to get to work?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59663947

I've sold my Honda Type S for a new Toyota 1.5 Yaris and it's excellent for mpg. Cruises nicely at 70, quiet, hitting 54mpg and going further on E5 than this E10 petrol.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It’s what I use in my TR6
    BP Super is labelled as E5 but I understand it is normally E0.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    BP Super is labelled as E5 but I understand it is normally E0.

Yes they have to label it as E5 but as I understand it some brands contain anything between 1 and 5 and I have been told BP Super is 0. I have used it in my TR6 for four years with no adverse effects to rubber hoses and seals, in fact just been and put £30 in to keep the tank topped plus with all this dry weather I feel a few little outings.

Diesel been dropped to £1.40 this morning in our Tesco