closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrol prices...............again

I have almost negated the price increases to-date by driving very conservatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’m sure that day will come, but for now it’s a carrot to try and wean us off the big oil teat. Also, spending an extra £10-15k extra on an equivalent EV to save £2.5k each year in fuel based on average mileage before electricity costs is hardly ‘having one over’ on the exchequer. I’ve paid more VAT on the purchase up front for starters. Over a few years there isn’t much in it financially.

So, driving an EV isn’t exactly cheap when you factor in the higher cost of the car, the rising electricity prices and the cost of public charging if you need it. Free charging is few and far between in reality, and I’m not driving electric to save a few quid and cock a smirk at my ICE brethren.

Motoring is expensive, and I can’t see that changing any time soon.

I have to question the people shouting for a 10p per litre fuel duty cut, even that will only shave £5.50 off a near £100 quid refill of your ‘average family saloon’. Will it really make that much difference?

The Govt really aren’t making a killing on the extra VAT. I don’t know about anybody else, but the more money I used to put in the petrol tank, the less money I spent elsewhere. You can’t spend it twice can you.
    And that’s the point some political commentator was making on the radio today. The VAT ‘windfall’ on fuel makes up for lost VAT on other items that people are cutting down on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m glad I bought this a few weeks back..

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Come and take a look, they are there all the time, it’s Tesco in Edinbourgh Way Harlow
    Off topic but you seem like a guy who would have a good recommendation for car tints around that area. Was looking at Essex Tints in Harlow but their google reviews are too perfect - 421 reviews, all 5 star.

London £2.38 petrol £2.49 Diesel

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...n-24191776.amp

Petrol prices...............again

Must be getting a bit pricey to run those 20 mpg four and five litre monsters over on the What Do You Drive! thread. Especially if they drink the good stuff at over £2/litre. £100 in fuel just for a 200 mile longish day return trip to the beach. Ouch!

Prices of those bad boys must be in for a tumble.

Think I’ll stick with my boring old diesel Volvo which gives me 55 mpg if I nurse it on the motorway.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Must be getting a bit pricey to run those 20 mpg four and five litre monsters over on the What Do You Drive! thread. Especially if they drink the good stuff at over £2/litre. £100 in fuel just for a 200 mile longish day return trip to the beach. Ouch!

Think I’ll stick with my boring old diesel Volvo which gives me 55 mpg if I nurse it on the motorway.
    In fairness it was always pricey to run such vehicles. I commute in an M5 and a few years back ran an E63 M6 with the n/a 5 litre V10.

The difference in fuelling is marginal really. Not many folk will have been cutting things so fine they could barely afford to run these cars when super was £1.50 a litre.

I would rather suck up the extra than drive a diesel Volvo, but each to their own!

My Toyota Yaris 1.5 has taken me 240 miles to Norfolk and back with a week's driving round the area. Still have a 3rd of a tank left from the £88 I put in. Very chuffed 👍

Er, yup. Last fill up was £125 (£1.90/l), did 208 miles on the previous tank at 14.2mpg.

Thankfully I don't do many miles. The odd dirty thought about going electric does happen...

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I would rather suck up the extra than drive a diesel Volvo, but each to their own!
    You don’t know what you are missing. Comfiest leather seats, bar none. Effortless motorway driving, and bucket loads of torque from a 200 bhp diesel engine. Ok, turn a corner fast and you maybe pinned to the drivers door!

Keep on paying the extra though, as it is fully rewarding me with significant returns on my RDSB and BP shares.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post

If you refuel at that garage you are just simple in the head

Grand Master

Keep on paying the extra though, as it is fully rewarding me with significant returns on my RDSB and BP shares.
    +1, I bought Shell and BP shares for the dividend income when I took early retirement so I would encourage people to use the premium ‘warm feeling’ fuels in their pride and joy........keep paying buddies!

I’m not happy about the fuel price situation, far from it, but at least the dividends sweeten the pill marginally. No- one shed a tear when the oil price slumped and dividends were cut but everyone’s on the bandwagon criticising the profits now being made.

Government could help by cutting the VAT take.

So how come in 2008 oil was $140 per barrel and the pump price was around £1.07 per litre.

It's currently around $120 per barrel but the pump price is £1.90 and beyond.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I went for an hour drive in my wife’s car with the roof off just around the lanes yesterday. Felt nice to just go and use petrol for fun again.

Some spirited fun driving following an old boy in a Daytona from 1970. Looked on PH at the prices when I got home and was amazed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    So how come in 2008 oil was $140 per barrel and the pump price was around £1.07 per litre.

It's currently around $120 per barrel but the pump price is £1.90 and beyond.......
    GBP/USD in 2008 was 2.

GBP/USD in 2022 is 1.23

Oil is priced in dollars

Refining margins are also at all time highs compounding the cost at the pump further.

It peaked around £1.50 in 2008, not £1.07.

You don’t know what you are missing. Comfiest leather seats, bar none. Effortless motorway driving, and bucket loads of torque from a 200 bhp diesel engine. Ok, turn a corner fast and you maybe pinned to the drivers door!

No need just to thank me alone. I work for the NHS across different sites, and get a contribution towards my mileage, so in that sense everyone who pays tax and NI makes a contribution towards your dividends.

GBP/USD in 2008 was 2.

GBP/USD in 2022 is 1.23

Oil is priced in dollars

Refining margins are also at all time highs compounding the cost at the pump further.

It peaked around £1.50 in 2008, not £1.07.
    Perhaps it explains something - the exchange rate has no bearing on the wholesale price of crude?.

Refining margins are not huge though? I just think there is an unnecessary hike in prices under the cover of Ukraine etc.

If it gets much worse then people will start filling jerry cans with red diesel like all the farmers have been doing for decades

Perhaps it explains something - the exchange rate has no bearing on the wholesale price of crude?.

Refining margins are not huge though? I just think there is an unnecessary hike in prices under the cover of Ukraine etc.
    Exchange rate has a HUGE bearing on the cost of crude, especially if you are buying crude with the Great British Peso.

Oil price in 2008 $140/bbl @ GBP/USD of 2, so £70bbl

Oil price in 2022 $120/bbl @ GBP/USD of 1.23, so £97/bbl

So, in GBP terms a barrel of crude in 2022 is nearly 40% more expensive than in 2008, despite of being around 15% cheaper in USD terms.

Refining margins are around $40/bbl. That is massive, when they are usually a fraction of that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I am retired we have just cut down on use and unnecessary journeys so the last three weeks it’s cost us a little bit less, if many more of us did this prices would fall.

Master
    I don't think prices will fall far. Refineries are apparently in short supply and they are making a lot of money. The Govt and the oil companies are coining it in. Will take e.g. a lockdown to force a shift downwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If you refuel at that garage you are just simple in the head
    Or you just don't care about money because you are so rich.

Anyone tempted to try blend with cooking oil (diesel obviously)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think it only works on the simplest of diesel engines. Modern diesel engines would probably puke.

Have you tried to get cooking oil these days given the situation in Ukraine?

And then you still have to add on customs and excise duty.

I think the days of using cooking oil in diesel cars has been left behind in the 90s and early noughties along with that particular Top Gear or Fifth Gear episode.

Think it only works on the simplest of diesel engines. Modern diesel engines would probably puke.

Have you tried to get cooking oil these days given the situation in Ukraine?

And then you still have to add on customs and excise duty.

I think the days of using cooking oil in diesel cars has been left behind in the 90s and early noughties along with that particular Top Gear or Fifth Gear episode.
    Don't think there's any duty to pay on <2,500 litres/year.

Not as scarce as it was either!

Exchange rate has a HUGE bearing on the cost of crude, especially if you are buying crude with the Great British Peso.

Oil price in 2008 $140/bbl @ GBP/USD of 2, so £70bbl

Oil price in 2022 $120/bbl @ GBP/USD of 1.23, so £97/bbl

So, in GBP terms a barrel of crude in 2022 is nearly 40% more expensive than in 2008, despite of being around 15% cheaper in USD terms.

Refining margins are around $40/bbl. That is massive, when they are usually a fraction of that.
    But it trades in $'s?.

Anyhow - we are being rinsed big time currently.

But it trades in $'s?
    Seriously? I give up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    If it gets much worse then people will start filling jerry cans with red diesel like all the farmers have been doing for decades
    Red diesel no longer exists,, to many were abusing the system.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

But it trades in $'s?.

So you need to convert good old GBP to $’s which is why the exchange rate has a direct impact?

Master
    Unless recession/depression hits and demand destruction kicks in we're looking at 200$ crude by autumn. OPEC+ tapped out, no peace in Ukraine on the horizon, US shale disincentivised and big oil generally villainised by the "progressive" politicians... Time to buy a bunch of jerry cans... ?

If your diesel car has a DPF, then under no circumstances should you be adding veg oil to it. It's too viscose and eventually will clog up the aforementioned DPF, leaving you with a hefty replacement bill.

I used to make my own veg fuel for my diesel VW's in, as long as you made it properly and checked regularly filters/pumps then all was fine, that was until they added DPF's to cars.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    If your diesel car has a DPF, then under no circumstances should you be adding veg oil to it. It's too viscose and eventually will clog up the aforementioned DPF, leaving you with a hefty replacement bill.

I used to make my own veg fuel for my diesel VW's in, as long as you made it properly and checked regularly filters/pumps then all was fine, that was until they added DPF's to cars.
    Sounds good advice but surely fuel shouldn't be getting to the DPF - maybe very small amount of unburnt, that's all?

Craftsman
    Sounds good advice but surely fuel shouldn't be getting to the DPF - maybe very small amount of unburnt, that's all?
    Think it's more to do with the high pressure pumps on common rail diesels.

Earlier agricultural stuff will pretty much run on anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    So you need to convert good old GBP to $’s which is why the exchange rate has a direct impact?
    Exactly good ole GBP's plummeted against the dollar, now only worth in dollars about the same as it's worth against the euro, 1 quid to just 1.2 dollar, pretty savage really from 2 to 1 and then 1.5 for a longish period, even just last year a pound was worth an average 1 and a third bucks. If you don't earn/ invest in dollar denominated assets, it makes the place rather dear, and obviously cos of the petrodollar, fuel too.
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th June 2022 at 11:42.

But it trades in $'s?.

Been that way for some years now the rinsing, disproportionately sized banking sector, economy favourable to rentiers, business model overexposed to and dependent on the kindness of strangers as Carney observed...rip off Britain. Extremely challenging few years/ decade ahead.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th June 2022 at 10:40.

BP in Chelmsford £1.88 unleaded, Esso in Witham £1.67, 8 miles apart, it's been like that for the last two weeks, funnily enough there is always a queue at the Esso garage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    BP in Chelmsford £1.88 unleaded, Esso in Witham £1.67, 8 miles apart, it's been like that for the last two weeks, funnily enough there is always a queue at the Esso garage.
    I boycott BP & Shell due to their rip off prices..👎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I boycott BP & Shell due to their rip off prices..👎
    The 2 BP Garages near me are currently the cheapest at £1.71 ltr for petrol. Around 7p less per litre than the next cheapest. Always plenty of people filling up at these 2.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I am seeing more of especially Supermarket fuel is the difference between Derv and Unleaded 20p a litre nearly everywhere in Staffordshire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    The 2 BP Garages near me are currently the cheapest at £1.71 ltr for petrol. Around 7p less per litre than the next cheapest. Always plenty of people filling up at these 2.
    Around me they are consistently the most expensive in the area… I can travel 1 mile extra from the local BP station and buy fuel from 2 Texaco stations at 12ppl less..

Blog Entries
    Dutch prices are between 2 and 2.08 euro. Next to the motorway more expensive: 2.27 - 2.40 euro.

No wonder the station before the Belgian-Dutch border doesn’t sell a drop! Belgian prices are between 1.91 (motorway) and 1.78 euro in the towns

Bizarrely, in the lake district a few weeks ago, a couple of BP garages were far cheaper than any others, there or closer to home!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Filled my classic car today with premium, felt a bit of a bargain at £1.80l

Master
    On holiday near Abergavenny yesterday, a local garage had a £1.7.. offer. The queue and tailback was over 3/400m since its such a small town all traffic stopped one way. Great if you were buying fuel, bad if you were just passing through :)
    Last edited by higham5; 4th August 2022 at 08:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    On holiday near Abergavenny yesterday, a local garage had a £1.7.. offer. The queue and tailback was over 3/400m since its such a small town all traffic stopped one way. Great if you were buying fuel, bad if you were just passing through :)
    My 2 local Texaco stations have just dropped to £169.9..

Journeyman
    Its a sad day when £1.80 is a bargain! Time to get involved in the cycle to work scheme for me

So the £ is down again and crude is up 10% in the last week.

£2/litre here we come again. May as well stock up on that bargain £1.80/litre diesel while you can.

£2/litre here we come again. May as well stock up on that bargain £1.80/litre diesel while you can.
    I’ve started using the electric thing when I can , wife charges it up at work for free

Master

Petrol UL £1.48 at our local garden centre today! Goredale on the Wirral

Master
    I paid £1.46 at Costco last week..