closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Navigator - Black or White

Navigator - Black or White

To me, the PRS-48 is the best watch to have come out of the Timefactors stable. At least that I have owned anyway.
    I have previously been in possession of the black dial version, which was only sold on to make room for something else.

When the Navigators became available again this year, I decided I would like to try both dial types, hoping that the white dial version would replace the gone but not forgotten Air Ministry.

Hovering over my keyboard ready to strike - I hit gold during the 14:00 window and boom, here they are!

Maybe you want one and you are not sure which one to go for. Maybe you have one, and want to try the other. Or maybe you just like photos of nice watches. Either way, I hope these photos are useful and enjoyable.

For reference the Black dial is on a superb Horween Strap made by our own vekslak. The white dial is on a Morellato Cordura which I think looks fantastic, suits the watch and really adds to the military look.

The dials:

The wonderful case:

Last edited by TheGent; 7th December 2021 at 17:44.

The lume:

On the Wrist:

So to conclude. Well, there’s nothing wrong with either of these beauties. The white dial wears slightly bigger, especially without the dreaded ‘milky ring’ effect (although this is hardly noticeable on the Navigator models compared to say, the Everest). The blued hands are utterly magical, and perfectly finished. This pushes the white dial to a whole other level to me. This watch has a genuine vintage look and feel. It is rapidly becoming my favourite watch of all time and in my mind, a significant step up from the Air Ministry. Watch out sale section, the black dial is possibly coming your way.

A festive shot to finish:

Last edited by TheGent; 7th December 2021 at 17:43.

Master
    Agreed. I had a black dial one soon after they first became available. Was accurate to about plus 1 seconds a day as a daily wearer. Loved it and sold it. As I do. How’s yours performing?

Performing superbly - definitely within a couple of seconds a day tops.
    Last edited by TheGent; 7th December 2021 at 18:04.

this one and the monopusher are the best of the best IMHO. Great photos, thanks for sharing

Agreed, although sadly I don’t have a monopusher.
    You are very welcome!

Master
    Thanks for posting your comparison Graham. I too have often considered the Navigator to be one of, if not the, finest of Eddies creations. Currently have the black dial but after reading your thread now also keen to get the white version.

However having worn the monopusher for a week I am inclined to think the Navigator may have a challenger for the title of Eddies finest.
    Last edited by ZIM; 7th December 2021 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    Thanks for posting your comparison Graham. I too have often considered the Navigator to be one of, if not the, finest of Eddies creations. Currently have the black dial but after reading your thread now also keen to get the white version.

However having worn the monopusher for a week I am inclined to think the Navigator may have a challenger for the title of Eddies finest.
    No worries.

Eddie has definitely got these watch styles nailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have four Smiths watches now, a PRS 40, a Caribbean, a PRS 29A and a Navigator. The Navi is definitely my favourite - just the right size, handwound which I prefer and I love the retro minimalist no-date design. Wins out over the 29A because I prefer the sapphire crystal (and the milky ring never troubled me in the slightest). And the 29A is a bit limited in terms of strap options.

That's a fine pair, you should keep 'em both IMHO. Re Eddie's "best" watch, I don't really think there is one. I have a Voyager GMT, small size PRS-68, 36mm Everest and a PRS-5 Broadarrow, all quite different and none favoured over the others. The only other I have under consideration at the moment (and for a long time) is the Sewills Ferraira, a snip with the movement modifications and 3/4 plate.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Wonderful pictures of wonderful watches. I have a soft spot for the black dial navigator. I bought one last Christmas after looking for a Mark Xi homage for years. I tried various options Mkii Hawkinge was close but Eddie knocked it out of the park with the Navigator. Great size 36mm not to tall, great case shape, dial hands and movement. What's not to like. I'd like to try out the white dial version one day too. As others have said keep them both and congratulations.

Craftsman
    I seriously considered a navigator, but….the last time I bought one of Eddie’s issued watch homages was the PRS-29A that after wearing and enjoying for a while I bought the watch it was based on, the Smiths W10.

I fear if I took the plunge again with a Navigator, it would lead to the same outcome, I do fancy trying one out though!

Master

On the original strap, since there isn't a pic of one in the thread so far. I changed mine out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I have four Smiths watches now, a PRS 40, a Caribbean, a PRS 29A and a Navigator. The Navi is definitely my favourite - just the right size, handwound which I prefer and I love the retro minimalist no-date design. Wins out over the 29A because I prefer the sapphire crystal (and the milky ring never troubled me in the slightest). And the 29A is a bit limited in terms of strap options.
    That’s a great collection.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's a fine pair, you should keep 'em both IMHO. Re Eddie's "best" watch, I don't really think there is one. I have a Voyager GMT, small size PRS-68, 36mm Everest and a PRS-5 Broadarrow, all quite different and none favoured over the others. The only other I have under consideration at the moment (and for a long time) is the Sewills Ferraira, a snip with the movement modifications and 3/4 plate.
    I agree with that idea but the black dial gets hardly any wear!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Wonderful pictures of wonderful watches. I have a soft spot for the black dial navigator. I bought one last Christmas after looking for a Mark Xi homage for years. I tried various options Mkii Hawkinge was close but Eddie knocked it out of the park with the Navigator. Great size 36mm not to tall, great case shape, dial hands and movement. What's not to like. I'd like to try out the white dial version one day too. As others have said keep them both and congratulations.
    Thank you! I think it’s a lovely reinterpretation of the MK 11 design.

Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    I seriously considered a navigator, but….the last time I bought one of Eddie’s issued watch homages was the PRS-29A that after wearing and enjoying for a while I bought the watch it was based on, the Smiths W10.

I fear if I took the plunge again with a Navigator, it would lead to the same outcome, I do fancy trying one out though!
    Haha - oh yes, that could be an expensive journey!!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

On the original strap, since there isn't a pic of one in the thread so far. I changed mine out as well.
    I like the original strap, just can’t get a good fit on my wrist.

Craftsman
    Has anyone found a bracelet that works with the Navigator. I have tried the bonklip but sadly it didn’t worry for me.

Craftsman
    Nice pair!
    Wanted the monopusher and am tempted; maybe too big for 6.5 inch wrist.
    Sorry if pics don’t come out. Should be Navigator and PRS 29A

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EBB21; 11th December 2021 at 18:13. Reason: crap pic

Craftsman
    And againIMG_2758.jpg

Craftsman

Apprentice
    Been looking at these for a while ... tempted.

One question: the movement picture on Eddie's site has no Sellita SW210 markings. Pictures of this movement at sites like Calibercorner (below) show several brand identifiers and say "Swiss Made".

https://calibercorner.com/sellita-caliber-sw210-1/

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    To me, the PRS-48 is the best watch to have come out of the Timefactors stable. At least that I have owned anyway.
    I have previously been in possession of the black dial version, which was only sold on to make room for something else.

When the Navigators became available again this year, I decided I would like to try both dial types, hoping that the white dial version would replace the gone but not forgotten Air Ministry.

Hovering over my keyboard ready to strike - I hit gold during the 14:00 window and boom, here they are!

Maybe you want one and you are not sure which one to go for. Maybe you have one, and want to try the other. Or maybe you just like photos of nice watches. Either way, I hope these photos are useful and enjoyable.

For reference the Black dial is on a superb Horween Strap made by our own vekslak. The white dial is on a Morellato Cordura which I think looks fantastic, suits the watch and really adds to the military look.
    Best pics I've seen on these watches.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Been looking at these for a while ... tempted.

One question: the movement picture on Eddie's site has no Sellita SW210 markings. Pictures of this movement at sites like Calibercorner (below) show several brand identifiers and say "Swiss Made".

https://calibercorner.com/sellita-caliber-sw210-1/
    It’s stamped on the main plate.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Best pics I've seen on these watches.
    Thank you sir!

These are on my list …. ideally, I’d get the (1) Silver Jubilee, (2) black Navigator, (3) Mono-pusher, (4) white Navigator.
    No joy yet 😢

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    These are on my list …. ideally, I’d get the (1) Silver Jubilee, (2) black Navigator, (3) Mono-pusher, (4) white Navigator.
    No joy yet 😢
    You might want to check the sales section then!

Craftsman
    Another thank you from me.

All bar one of my watches have a black dial.

I am lucky enough to have an Everest and a PRS1 but I think it’s time for a white dialled Navigator now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On a Phenomenato while I wait for a vintage style strap to arrive.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 18th January 2022 at 13:07.

Journeyman
    I have had a few from TF but have settled on the black navigator and white W10

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    I have had a few from TF but have settled on the black navigator and white W10

IMG_6882.JPGIMG_6887.JPG

Journeyman
    IMG_6883.JPGIMG_6885.JPG

Journeyman
    The straps are a vintage Forstner band, new Forstner Klip and new Staib Milanaise

Journeyman
    Want one of these prs48 navigators really bad.
    Will more be made? Not likely I’d be lucky with the way the store is though.

Craftsman
    I definitely prefer the black dial Navigator to the white dial but each to their own I guess.

Journeyman
    Black dial all day long for any watch for me.