closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: On Line Prescription specs...recommendations please.

Cool On Line Prescription specs...recommendations please.

My recent eye test at Specsavers means I now need to order some new prescription specs (driving and distance use).

I usually get my glasses from Specsavers too but after the eye test they were exceptionally busy and I've not got the time to re-visit the store, so am going to try an on-line provider instead.

I have a habit of breaking and losing my glasses so don't bother with designer frames or any of the usual add on's bar the anti glare coating which is handy for night driving.

I have my prescription so assume it's a straightforward process, but I'd like to use a firm that others have used too and have been happy with. Ideally I'd like a few different styles and also a pair for cycling too.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

I've not used them but a very trusted friend recommended

https://www.speckyfoureyes.com

I have used glasses direct and they have been great

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

One thing to note, they ask for a measurement not usually given by your optician.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    You'll need your PD (how far apart your eyes are) as well as the prescription & I doubt Specsavers have given you that. There are various online guides to measuring it; personally I've not had much luck with online vendors but you may have a better experience.

From memory, Mister Spex had an extensive range and good service. Also my wife used Glassesdirect. They sent various frames for her to try and also provided excellent after-sales service when she found the varifocal lenses they made didn't actually work for her - they gave a no-quibble refund.

If you have frames that you are happy with, then consider a "reglazing" service which is usually less expensive than the full set. I have a particular frame I find most comfortable and have even bought the frames ex-demo on eBay then sent them off for glazing.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 7th December 2021 at 14:45.

Master
    I've repeatedly uses RX Sport and they have offered fantastic service and prices, my last but one pair, ordered in leaner times were Oakleys with bog standard lenses for the princely sum of £90 all in which I thought was a great price - I currently have Transitions XTRActive coated Oakleys which go dark even when in a car - these cost £250 - the same as the bare frames from boots.

Master
    I used https://www.spex4less.com a few years ago, worked well for me.

Master
    Spex4less are great & customer service over & above after I found an issue with my rayban Rx lenses a year after buying them (only read in them, never drove & realised they had the PD slightly out on returning them; complete replacement nonissue)

Also MisterSpex are good, have used both for many years & significant savings, often 25% for misterSpex. If you’re ordering sunglasses frames for normal wear, you get the original sunglasses lenses too, so free sunnies after.

I’ve used glassesdirect before and have found them to be alright, I need cheap and cheerful readers for work as they do get broken and these do the job ok. I do know my pupillary distance though, so that helps.

I have a pretty large noggin and not all glasses fit my big bonce and they will send the frames out to you to try before you buy which can be helpful. They often have offers / sales on.

I bought couple of frames with prescription lenses from pretavoir.co.uk, prices were better than locally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Used glassesdirect good few times. Can’t fault them

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Used glassesdirect good few times. Can’t fault them

Jim
    Me too.

I managed to measure the distance between my eyes with reasonable success, as far as I could tell. Obviously having someone else (even a partner/friend) do it is probably better.

when they last did my test I heard 61 (mm presumably. Does that sound ballpark??)

As ever thanks for everyone who took the time to reply. I'll be looking at the options over the weekend and hopefully will order a few pairs too.
    Cheers, Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I managed to measure the distance between my eyes with reasonable success, as far as I could tell. Obviously having someone else (even a partner/friend) do it is probably better.

when they last did my test I heard 61 (mm presumably. Does that sound ballpark??)
    Yes, that sounds right. My PD is 62mm & I think most people are in the 60-65mm range. It's also sometimes quoted as two numbers like 31/31 in case your eyes aren't symmetrical about your nose (or at least the pupil distance isn't).

Master
    They often get you to hold a known sized item, such as a credit card up to your eyes & work from that photo to get a PD. Opticians don’t tend to give this out & only measure when fitting you for glasses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Yes, that sounds right. My PD is 62mm & I think most people are in the 60-65mm range. It's also sometimes quoted as two numbers like 31/31 in case your eyes aren't symmetrical about your nose (or at least the pupil distance isn't).
    Thanks. I just got some single vision to have as a spare pair in the car and my amateur measurement seemed to produce a pair that were perfectly satisfactory.

I understand the average PD is 63mm.
    Although always a good idea to try and check.
    High St opticians are very reluctant or just refuse to give out this info to stop potential customers just buying online.
    Once you know it though you can shop anywhere you like.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Me too.

Hi David

For pupil measurement and width of eyes they get you to snap a photo of you holding a credit card between your eyes above the eyebrows. You then send it to them

Simple but seems to work.

Jim